Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

whats the ploy with all the cheap jerseys not outta goodness of heart

New strip for next season so they usually get sold off cheap at the end of the season in most places. €12 is a steal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Picked up the away jersey in sports world in Drogheda earlier. Loads of home adults in all sizes still available, not so many away. Plenty of home baby kits and a load of junior from 7/8 upwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Canadel wrote: »
    So it has all come down to the FA Cup to redeem the last two seasons for LVG and his squad of misfits. Win or lose, Man Utd are entering a new era. At worst, it will go the way of Liverpool in the 90s. At best, Wenger's Arsenal of the last decade. Nothing good lies ahead for fans expecting anywhere near the level of success of Ferguson's era. Even Ferguson would struggle to succeed with so much competition and money in the game now.

The 92, 99 and 08 teams would have won this years league by 20-30 points

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

astradave wrote: »
    why the **** do you have to start a Fellaini debate every time you post!! :rolleyes:

theres a debate? Hes a terrible player who should be nowhere near manchester united - thats not a debate, thats a fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

24 out of 38 league games we've been unable to either score more than one or none at all.

We've not scored 4 goals in a match in league once this season.

15 games we've scored only 1 goal in a league game, which resulted in 8 wins 3 draws and 4 loses.

In 9 League games we scored ZERO goals.. 4 draws and 5 losses.

We've scored 3 goals in a match 8 times in 38 games of which one was a 3-3 draw vs Newcastle.

Since that Newcastle game back in Jan, we've scored 3 goals in a game only 3 times. Including tonight..

And LVG thinks our expectations are too high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I watched the 2nd half down the local and the ****ers killed the sound after the game so couldn't hear the LVG speech.. what was said ? just looking it seemed short and sweet .. but a triumphant fist in the air has me a bit worried.. that he might stay .. any insight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Strumms wrote: »
    I watched the 2nd half down the local and the ****ers killed the sound after the game so couldn't hear the LVG speech.. what was said ? just looking it seemed short and sweet .. but a triumphant fist in the air has me a bit worried.. that he might stay .. any insight ?

https://twitter.com/ManUtdUniverse/status/732677502179627008

^ Thanks Zerks, short and sweet really. Not alluding to doing better next year or see you next season just remarks of thanks and about the FA Cup. What can you read into it ? Maybe that at the very least he is unsure about what will happen, at best he knows he is off... **** it i just wish the club would kill the doubt one way or another... btw reading about the 'expectation' quotes from the sky interview... seriously... you came out with that in your job doing anything, any of us ! we all know how that would go... why it's acceptable at our club is beyond my comprehension it really is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

BMMachine wrote: »
    theres a debate? Hes a terrible player who should be nowhere near manchester united - thats not a debate, thats a fact

Are you going to manage newcastle next season rafa?

• Advertisement

Fellaini isn't a terrible player.. far from it.. you'd be a clown to think otherwise really anyone who says so doesn't have a breeze and their opinion isnt worth much.. he has been our best player in a few games this season and been influential.. is he a Man Utd player as such ?.. no... its he awkward and at times frustrating yes... but he is a very good player in the right team and he never gave anything less then 100% in a United shirt... he gets dogs abuse from some quarters and the same people would be sticking up for the likes of Depay.. who plainly gives more of a **** about his pout and sideburns then putting in a shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

RobertKK wrote: »
    Maybe Rooney was playing in midfield before with some resentment as he wanted to play upfront.
    Maybe he has his head right now and can play better like he did tonight, we just have to wait and see, at least we will not be dependent on him scoring goals, which was a disaster for the first half of the season.

Rooney scored goals when the team actually created some opportunities for him.

He's been meh upfront like every forward under LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Is anyone still in denial about the man being a total spoofer ?

I couldn't care less about what he did 20 years ago or his Dutch team at the World Cup.

He's been spinning stories and backtracking since day one at OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

whats the ploy with all the cheap jerseys not outta goodness of heart

New jerseys coming out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

BMMachine wrote: »

You do know that that is your opinion and many people, including on this forum, hold a vastly different opinion to you, so it's not a "fact"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I find it funny when LVG says " Fans expect too much"

He doesnt understand what is expected of a Manchester United Manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Is CL football too much to ask for!!
    Can't believe this man has the gut to make so many bulls**t excuses and is still our manager.

Hopefully this time next week, he is gone but I'm not optimistic about it happening at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Its funny how the media isn't making a bigger deal of VGs "expectations" gaff last night, instead opting for the "I have a 3 year contract" quote instead.

This board was almost unanimous in picking it up and I expected to wake this morning to headlines but nothing.

His position now is untenable in my mind. Even St Quinn more or less admitted it last night after his interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I thought the booing at the start of LVG speech last night was poor showing, classless by the fans.

Whatever you think of him and his tactics/results, the man is currently the manager of the club and deserves a bit more respect. Absolutely call him to go etc on forums and banners but the man stood up to speak after the season and was met with a chorus of boos. He could easily have simply headed off down the tunnel but it was a brave man that stood in the middle of the pitch and face the fans.

Many here slagged City for leaving the stadium before the lap of honour but to actually stay just to boo the man is, as I said classless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I thought the booing at the start of LVG speech last night was poor showing, classless by the fans.

Whatever you think of him and his tactics/results, the man is currently the manager of the club and deserves a bit more respect. Absolutely call him to go etc on forums and banners but the man stood up to speak after the season and was met with a chorus of boos. He could easily have simply headed off down the tunnel but it was a brave man that stood in the middle of the pitch and face the fans.

Many here slagged City for leaving the stadium before the lap of honour but to actually stay just to boo the man is, as I said classless

I was embarrassed for him when the boos rang out but in the cold light of day I think it was needed. Wouldn't have done it myself if I was there but there's no point fans ranting on internet boards etc if the message isn't getting through.

I think its about time the OT crowd turned militant and last night was the time to do it when there was nothing to play for.

I'm quite sure giving the address to the crowd is expected of the manager at the end of the season. I wouldn't give him any credit for doing what was expected of him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

While I understand and appreciate the idea, and am not disagreeing...

The issue becomes that by refusing to jeer him in the stadium, it sends a public message that people are ok with whats happening. You hear quotes abut "unconditional support", but when the fans are cheering and applauding, why should the hierarchy at OT think there's an issue?

Message board posters can easily be dismissed as keyboard warriors. Banners can be dismissed as a few nutty fans. Boos are harder to ignore. But if there's no forms of public disapproval, then how can the message be got across that the fans want a change? LVG and the team have been extremely lucky the fans are so accepting of the downfall, but that acceptance has played a role in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I thought it was just deserved in fairness. If they hadnt of done it he woupd of been in press room like a crazed lunatic shouting lvgs red army at least he knows where the supporters are.

Anymanager that comes into a big club can not say the fans expect too much for crikes sake imagine if wengner said that or if conte said that next season.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I thought it was just deserved in fairness. If they hadnt of done it he woupd of been in press room like a crazed lunatic shouting lvgs red army at least he knows where the supporters are.

Anymanager that comes into a big club can not say the fans expect too much for crikes sake imagine if wengner said that or if conte said that next season.

Arsene doesn't need too
    We all know Arsenal will implode all over itself in February
    They're like clock work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

not seen a lot of talk about him being booed as he started his speech
    he was clearly booed a clear indication to woodward how they the fans feel
    our expectations are to high hahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I dont feel bad he got booed.

He is pushing expectations back to the fans instead of taking responsibility for our position.

The Club might walking on egg shells around LVG but the fans wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yeah, I agree with the points about getting across the message, I just thought it was poor at the start of the speech. At least listen what he has to say.

But I accept that fans are really frustrated and when you hear his 'expectations' non-sense it really brings the point home.

Didn't sit well with me but I don't have an alternative either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If I was there I'd have boo'd and kept booing til he handed the mic off - he, and United, claim he is supported because fans haven't given him the negative reaction he'd have been long getting at any other top club.

I can't stand the man - he is an utter fraud of a manger, a coward. Should have been sacked long ago. Said last summer that we could win the title this year and now claims our expectations are too high. An utter fraud, and his acceptance of failure should not be tolerated.

Lukaku's father is saying they are working on a move before the Euros, for £65m and it will probably be us or Bayern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lukaku's father is saying they are working on a move before the Euros, for £65m and it will probably be us or Bayern.

So he is joining bayern then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

He's going to Bayern to play second fiddle to Lewandowski? I don't see that happening at all.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He's going to Bayern to play second fiddle to Lewandowski? I don't see that happening at all.

isn't there talk of Lewandowski to Real????

• Advertisement

Lewandowski to Real?

If I was there I'd have boo'd and kept booing til he handed the mic off - he, and United, claim he is supported because fans haven't given him the negative reaction he'd have been long getting at any other top club.

I can't stand the man - he is an utter fraud of a manger, a coward. Should have been sacked long ago. Said last summer that we could win the title this year and now claims our expectations are too high. An utter fraud, and his acceptance of failure should not be tolerated.

Easy there Eamonn...
    I'm surprised you haven't called hima spoofer and a spiv...
    or a busted flush!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

cant see Bayern paying that sort of money for him, they are a sensible club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its funny Eamo called it fair early about LVG. Calling him a spoofer.

You have to say he was right

bangkok wrote: »
    cant see Bayern paying that sort of money for him, they are a sensible club

They've just done an 80million deal for Sanches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

brinty wrote: »
    isn't there talk of Lewandowski to Real????

So I'm right! He won't play second fiddle... just first fiddle instead :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

brinty wrote: »
    Easy there Eamonn...
    I'm surprised you haven't called hima spoofer and a spiv...
    or a busted flush!!!!!

He is a busted flush.

fergie in Dublin last night on the messi Ronaldo debate....

The Messi v Ronaldo debate is one of football's most fascinating arguments, and the greatest manager of them all weighed in on the discussion in Dublin this evening.
    Speaking at an event at the Convention Centre with Rory McIlroy in aid of the golfer's foundation, ex-United boss Alex Ferguson used a variation of one of football's great cliches as he leaned towards the player he helped grow from a young age.
    .w103 .gigya-buttons {visibility: hidden;} Fergie didn't quite say that Messi couldn't do it on a wet night in Stoke, but he came pretty close. "When the ball is at Messi's feet it is like he is wearing slippers," Ferguson said.
    "But there is a difference between Messi and Ronaldo and I'll tell you what it is. I think Messi is a Barcelona player but Ronaldo could be playing for Stockport County and he would score a hat-trick. He is brilliant in the air and he has two feet."

They've just done an 80million deal for Sanches.

35m euro, the rest is if certain criteria is met, world player of the year, Champions league winner, fifo pro world 11

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    35m euro, the rest is if certain criteria is met, world player of the year, Champions league winner, fifo pro world 11

Probably try the same with Lukaku. The 65m figure might be with addons.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Forget the papers guys and gals. We should have all learned our lesson by now. When they are in the United kit, I'll get excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Headshot wrote: »

Yeah but Eamo calls everyone a spoofer.

Probably try the same with Lukaku. The 65m figure might be with addons.

lukaku is an established player, everton wouldn't agree with lots of add ons. it would cost at least 40-50m up front with maybe a small amount 5-10m in add ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Headshot wrote: »

throw enough mud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Lukaku is unbelievably overpriced for me. I'd rather spend the money on other areas of the team. I'd go all out for Griezmann if there's a chance he would leave Madrid. I'd also go get a world class defender to partner Smalling. After that maybe a solid midfielder or something.

But none of the above matters if LVG is still the manager. I'd rather go into the new season with the exact same players and a new manager than see him keep his job and waste more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

astradave wrote: »
    Sam Wallace showing exactly how to take quotes out of context.. basically from the post Adox posted a few mins ago

https://twitter.com/SamWallaceTel/status/732686692067512324?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Wallace attends the post match conferences, for the written press, which is not televised.

So its most likely not out of context, as a few journalists reported the same from the written post match conference.

Wallace is predominantly a London based, Chelsea corrrespondant, but frequently gets involved in the United stories for his paper.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here, typically a good journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

RE: Lukaku, at this point, expect him to join PSG. Surprised if they dont make him Ibrahimovic's priority replacement.

Last night had some lovely goals. Van Gaal definitly got some boos from the crowd, but it started to subdue a bit. Appeared to get plenty of applause from the fans around the ground. I'd probably do the same to be honest. I don't feel as visceral about getting rid of Van Gaal as others. Yes I think he needs to go, but somewhat appreciate he has just made mistakes, tried his best and it hasn't come off. But I don't wish him ill and still have massive respect for his stature in the game.

If he was kept on for another season, while I'd be dissappointed because of the more longterm impacts, I'd give him my support again, with the basis that there is no more excuses. I think he, as he said himself to Geoff Shreeves, hasn't communicated properly what he means by expectations. I do see where he is coming from and probably what he means, but I think he needs to accept that United fans as a whole, cannot be asked to accept anything other then contention for the biggest prizes.

Such a subdued ending for Carrick as well. Pretty piss poor performance followed with very little anything for him. Probably doesn't like the fuss, but even in the pages I've read post game, don't think I saw a post written about him. Sums him up entirely really for me. My ultimate marmite player. Appreciation of course for his time at the club, but never won me over. Wish him all the best <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Forget the papers guys and gals. We should have all learned our lesson by now. When they are in the United kit, I'll get excited.

So what you are saying is........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I see LVG saying fans expectations are too high, cant see how any manger can say that after this season and especially one who has spent over 200 million

FutureGuy wrote: »

When they've played in the kit FutureGuy...
    Lesson of John Obi Wan Kenobi Mikal....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement