Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

MagicIRL wrote: »
    :-]

All I have to say today really. :D

space invaders??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

jayo26 wrote: »
    Could be like danny ings.. one of the most expensive free transfer of all time :)

Yeah it will cost as he's under 23 so either try to buy him from the club or wait on a tribunal to figure out. He's rated quite highly and has been for some time so won't be that cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Awesome video. Goosebump inducing.

Jebus, he really was awesome wasn't he!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Talk of Varane being a bit unsettled, I'd love to see him at United. There'd be no lack of pace at centre back that's for sure. I read his decision making can be a little suspect however,any La Liga aficionados concur with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Reality is that Klopp has lost 5 finals in a row.

United yes are currently ****ed

But Klopp has guaranteed nothing for liverpool.

At least he reached 5 finals ... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

weisses wrote: »

And picked up the same amount of trophies as the lads that got knocked out at the first hurdle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Tssk wrote: »
    Talk of Varane being a bit unsettled, I'd love to see him at United. There'd be no lack of pace at centre back that's for sure. I read his decision making can be a little suspect however,any La Liga aficionados concur with that?

He is another one I can see being linked to a possible Mourinho appointment - Mourinho was a massive fan of him at Real, and I could see him looking at Varane (and Stones, Laporte) to beef up the defence. I can also imagine a Mourinho United being far more attractive to Varane than a LVG United.

However, I just can't see Madrid selling him. I reckon his unsettlement will result in a new contract and a first team spot beside Ramos, with Pepe possible sold.

And picked up the same amount of trophies as the lads that got knocked out at the first hurdle.

Are you saying that getting knocked out at the first hurdle now seems as much of an accomplishment as reaching 5 finals ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

if-youre-not-first-youre-last.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

However, I just can't see Madrid selling him. I reckon his unsettlement will result in a new contract and a first team spot beside Ramos, with Pepe possible sold.

Journalists be like "Pepe to United stories it is, then" :P

Are you saying that getting knocked out at the first hurdle now seems as much of an accomplishment as reaching 5 finals ?

No. It's pretty clear what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd be so embarrassed for myself if I was going on like getting to a cup final was a trophy in itself. I'd say the Arsenal fans must be having a wild week altogether with the celebrations in London over their 2nd place in the league trophy. Oh wait... They'll probably never mention it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I'm so happy, never commented on facebook at all. Was so tempted though. Without doubt the worst fans of all. Never hear the same bile from Arsenal or Chelsea fans who are fairly successful in recent years.. Hardly know any Spurs or City other than my brothers who were there since the 80s and no Leicester at all.

Have had pool fans gloating all through the 80s and early 90s so I'm loving the last 20 years

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Journalists be like "Pepe to United stories it is, then" :P

even though he is mad he is a good defender. would take him for a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Awesome video. Goosebump inducing.

That makes me happy and sad in equal measure :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

This here is what happens when your starved of success for a prolonged period of time. Come on united get the finger out.

I'd be so embarrassed for myself if I was going on like getting to a cup final was a trophy in itself. I'd say the Arsenal fans must be having a wild week altogether with the celebrations in London over their 2nd place in the league trophy. Oh wait... They'll probably never mention it again.

You are right ... Being Second is no trophy .... They play CL however ... A result ManU would have signed for pre season :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

That keano video reminds me why I had "god" 16 on my united shirt!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Haha glorious morning.

Been getting some **** from the LFC fans in ofice last while so this morning busted out MY impression , of Moreno impersonating Chris Kamara.

The ****ing head on them haha !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

"If you are first, you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly

• Advertisement

"If you are first, you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly

No point in signing Mourinho then ... He was in the relegation zone when sacked by Chelsea ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You look at the mindset they had then and what they have now, look at Arsenal 12 years ago. It's easy to get sucked in

The last 3 years we have really gone down that road, Moyes saying we should be more like City was true but a serious eye opener at the time but now it has descended into top 4 being too high an expectation.

Getting to a final is not a trophy in itself - especially if/when the route to the final has been easy (United have had a favourable run to FA Cup final). But I would say consistently getting to finals shows a consistently high level of performance, and I would say Liverpool fans could rightly take some positives for where they are potentially going. City, for example, will take more heart from their CL performance than United/LVG could take from there's. Neither won, but getting further mattered, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No point in signing Mourinho then ... He was in the relegation zone when sacked by Chelsea ....

People are so quick to point out Chelsea's season as if its some kind of stick to beat Jose with.

What about the winning of the league of every team he managed?

Winning the CL with 2 of them?

Klopp had a disastrous final season with Dortmund but that gets brushed aside by many.

The lengths people will go to to downplay Jose prove one thing.

Rival fans would HATE HATE HATE if he joined United because they know he would instantly improve them and make them contenders again.

And that scares the living jaysus out of them, even if they are too childish to admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

People are so quick to point out Chelsea's season as if its some kind of stick to beat Jose with.

It is ludicrous how people try so hard to ignore the small fact that Chelsea were the champions before that bad spell. People point to that bad run as evidence that he isn't a good choice to win us the title and ignore the fact that he had just won Chelsea the title!

It would be like Leicester falling to midtable next season and people stating that Ranieri doesn't have what it takes to win the league.

Weisses. You're having a mare. Quit while you're miles behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

TheDoc wrote: »
    Haha glorious morning.

Been getting some **** from the LFC fans in ofice last while so this morning busted out MY impression , of Moreno impersonating Chris Kamara.

The ****ing head on them haha !

Our sales guy, who is a Pool fan rang me on the mobile early this morning while he was out on the road and hung up 5 seconds later.

I answered by singing You`ll Never Walk Alone loudly done the phone.:D

Winning the CL with 2 of them?

Didnt Van Gaal managed the same ? Look how that worked out
    Klopp had a disastrous final season with Dortmund but that gets brushed aside by many.

Klopp had a disastrous season alright butt still they secured European football in the end
    Rival fans would HATE HATE HATE if he joined United because they know he would instantly improve them and make them contenders again.

And that scares the living jaysus out of them, even if they are too childish to admit it.

I was merely responding to the post stating that "you are nothing" If you come in second Mourinho fits that so does every manager except Rainieri this season :)

There are plenty of other reasons I think Mourinho is a bad choice for united

Who would be scared if United signs Mourinho ? :confused:

It is ludicrous how people try so hard to ignore the small fact that Chelsea were the champions before that bad spell. People point to that bad run as evidence that he isn't a good choice to win us the title and ignore the fact that he had just won Chelsea the title!

It would be like Leicester falling to midtable next season and people stating that Ranieri doesn't have what it takes to win the league.

Its ludicrous how Mourinho is hailed as some kind of Mcgyver ... Surely his CV speaks for itself but that is by no means a guarantee. The fact he was puked out by his players a couple of months after winning the title should be of some concern

Mourinho is not the type of Manager United needs now imo, and looking at the squad, that will also not fit Mourinho, He needs a squad that has a good change of getting the title.

Its ludicrous how Mourinho is hailed as some kind of Mcgyver ... Surely his CV speaks for itself but that is by no means a guarantee. The fact he was puked out by his players a couple of months after winning the title should be of some concern

Mourinho is not the type of Manager United needs now imo, and looking at the squad, that will also not fit Mourinho, He needs a squad that has a good change of getting the title.

With the right signings and right management I can see a title winning squad at United.

I do think there are some key first team signing required, but I also think there is a lot more quality in the United side than we have seen from them. I think Darmian, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Herrera and Memphis have a lot more quality than they have shown.

De Gea
    Darmian---Smalling----New CB---Shaw
    Schneiderlin
    Herrera
    New CM
    New RW
    Martial
    New ST

backed by Rooney, Rashford, Memphis, Schweinsteiger, Young, Blind, Jones, Fosu-Mensah, CBJ and a further couple of signings. I think that, on paper, is good enough to compete - and then id be looking for a manager that can change that from paper to pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

The same players and owner who've done the same with every manager they've had this past 10yrs? His teams at Inter and Chelsea to a degree he made them his own teams with a summers work and it worked out pretty well.

Who would be scared if United signs Mourinho ? :confused:

Probably the other top teams. You'll have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

aMgG2jh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Oh+dayum+_ff184bd3f294401cf49db82318bfd66a.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I think Tottenham will be the team to beat next season. Apart from Kane their squad isn't much better than ours and with a decent coach using suitable tactics we can get a lot more out of what we have.

With the right signings and right management I can see a title winning squad at United.

I do think there are some key first team signing required, but I also think there is a lot more quality in the United side than we have seen from them. I think Darmian, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Herrera and Memphis have a lot more quality than they have shown.

De Gea
    Darmian---Smalling----New CB---Shaw
    Schneiderlin
    Herrera
    New CM
    New RW
    Martial
    New ST

backed by Rooney, Rashford, Memphis, Schweinsteiger, Young, Blind, Jones, Fosu-Mensah, CBJ and a further couple of signings. I think that, on paper, is good enough to compete - and then id be looking for a manager that can change that from paper to pitch.

I agree plenty of talent ... But the big issue is as is highlighted above is the fact you need 3 top class players at least in center defense,midfield and attack plus a manager who can work with all that (upcoming) talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

boys (and MarsBar) what would you all think of sticking Tim Fosu Monster at the base of midfield next season? or would you like to see him getting a bit more time at RB to get him up to speed at senior level?

and knowing Jose's style of 22 champions is the below a viable squad for next season excluding some youngsters

De Gea/ Romero
    Darmian/ Valencia
    Smalling/ Jones
    Blind/ Rojo
    Shaw/ CBJ
    Schneiderlin/ Fellaini
    Herrera/ Schweinstiger
    Memphis/ Lingard
    Rooney/ Mata
    Martial/ Memphis
    Rashers/ Janujaz

That leaves us with McNair, Fosu Monster, Perreira and a few other youngsters t come into the squad..
    assuming Carrick isn't renewed and we've no outgoings?
    apologies if I've missed anyone its not deliberate

I agree plenty of talent ... But the big issue is as is highlighted above is the fact you need 3 top class players at least in center defense,midfield and attack plus a manager who can work with all that (upcoming) talent.

If Mourinho comes in, he will get money to spend and he will know where to spend it. He always does.

Michael Owen last night on tv........

"Who's better than Liverpool? Who's bigger than Liverpool? Who can you go to? Barcelona and Real Madrid will attract anyone, I suppose… but after that, where else is there to go? I can't imagine you're going to go anywhere else in the Premier League."

So, to clarify, Owen thinks that aside from Barcelona and Real Madrid, no other club would be a bigger draw to a potential signing than Liverpool.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Michael Owen last night on tv........

"Who's better than Liverpool? Who's bigger than Liverpool? Who can you go to? Barcelona and Real Madrid will attract anyone, I suppose… but after that, where else is there to go? I can't imagine you're going to go anywhere else in the Premier League."

So, to clarify, Owen thinks that aside from Barcelona and Real Madrid, no other club would be a bigger draw to a potential signing than Liverpool.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I watched that clip 3 times to see if I misunderstood something.

Sorry .. what do you mean with You'll ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

You will, I would assume.

Haha i love the high spirit in the thread today it's just a pity we be all knocked back down to earth when we remember we have another 90 mins of lvgs tika taka to endure saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    Haha i love the hight spirit in the threadbtoday it's just a puty we be all knocked back down to earth when we remember we have another 90 mins of lvgs tika taka to endure saturday

You're expectations are too high mr jayo26.... :rolleyes:

Julez wrote: »
    You will, I would assume.

Yeah .. Thought so too ... But that doesn't makes any sense .. Hence me asking

• Advertisement

You'd swear he is a club ambassador the way he goes on.

In the PL - Arsenal, City, probaby Chelsea and possibly Spurs would be bigger current draws.

Then you have Bayern, PSG, Juve and I would say At. Madrid (though money...) would be bigger draws.

brinty wrote: »
    You're expectations are too high mr jayo26.... :rolleyes:

No he actually mentioned tika taka in the press conference after the last game when describing us in second half mr brinty

• Maximus legend

It's a common contraction of 'you will', referring to you in the simple future tense. Although in this particular case, 'you' could be expanded to include anyone who does not affiliate themselves with one of the top teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The "big team" he left to go on and win a Premier League with us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement