Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Hope so as Rooney wasn't great on Sat (even though he assisted Mata's goal). Maybe he was just in the mindframe and had prepared to play midfield.

Hopefully Rashford is back and gives West Ham defenders the runaround. I would also like to see Memphis get his head in the game but it's a bit late in the day now. I wasn't confident before but even less so now.

Can't do an awful lot of blaming a forward who never receives the ball in a position where he can get at someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

beno619 wrote: »
    That wasn't the point made, has he improved under LVG was ?

Edit: your arguing with yourself, nevermind.

I wasn't arguing with myself. I wasn't following the thread and seen there was discussion on how Martial has performed on the last page I opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

€80M for Renato Sanchez is about as bizarre as transfer rumours get. Surely we're not that insane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Rashford will play there and Rooney will drop back I'd imagine.

Not much pace out wide with Mata and Lingard although Lingard is no slouch. That's a big miss not having Martial available... I wonder would LVG trust Memphis ? We will need somone who is willing to track back and more importantly be effective in their own half as well as their primary role going forward.... I'd be tempted to play Rashford out wide with Rooney up top and Mate central ... times like these just goes to show you how piss poor LVG left us with options in attack.. think he maybe bet the gaff on Memphis and it just didn't Depay off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Matic is the latest name linked today by the mail.

glued wrote: »
    €80M for Renato Sanchez is about as bizarre as transfer rumours get. Surely we're not that insane?

All depends how it's structured.

Take the Martial fee for instance. Even now we have no idea what it actually is. I googled "anthony martial transfer fee" and the top 3 links have the price as £36m, €30m and £61.5m.

Like there's some discrepancy between 30m euro and 61.5m pounds.

Like a lot of these deals I'd say there's a fee to be paid either up front or in installments. That will be a fraction of the €80m. Then you'll have performance related add-ons The way I see it, if we end up paying all the add-ons then he'll have been a very good signing.

I know nothing about the player btw, just talking more in general terms. Personally I'd prefer to see us splashing €150 on 3 of the best young players in the world with bags of potential than blowing €150 on someone like Bale or Neymar.

I think that's the way we are going jayopee but the thing I'd be worried about is turning into an arsenal having alot of young quality players but no leaders and when a player developed enough to be a leader they get offered something somewhere else and we are back to square one again.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think that's the way we are going jayopee but the thing I'd be worried about is turning into an arsenal having alot of young quality players but no leaders and when a player developed enough to be a leader they get offered something somewhere else and we are back to square one again.

Ronaldo has put the ****s up all of us, but besides him when have we ever lost one of our best players when it wasn't us who wanted rid?

Pogba - mistake to let go but was an unproven kid
    Pique - couldn't get into side ahead of Rio and Vidic (rightly so)
    Stam - Fergie wanted rid after book episode
    Beckham - Fergie wanted rid after Posh Spice episodes

Any others who left us as true worldies or developed into them after?

Yeah I agree we need more of a leader, but for me that should be in the middle of the park. That's where we should be buying an established top class player. For the wings and up front I'd much rather buy potential and develop what we have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Jayop wrote: »
    Ronaldo has put the ****s up all of us, but besides him when have we ever lost one of our best players when it wasn't us who wanted rid?

Yeah I agree we need more of a leader, but for me that should be in the middle of the park. That's where we should be buying an established top class player. For the wings and up front I'd much rather buy potential and develop what we have.

Fergie wanted rid of ruud too but the 9m we sold him for was an absolute joke, a disgrace

Fergie wanted rid of ruud too but the 9m we sold him for was an absolute joke, a disgrace

I thought about Ruud but he was 30 when we sold him and looking at his time at Real he was close to the end. Scored at a great rate but played few enough games. Even at that, it wasn't like he forced the move, we shifted him because of fallings out with Ronaldo/Quiroz iirc.

• Advertisement

I wasn't basing it on who we have lost I was basing it on what may happen if the club just invest in talented kids and if we turned into an arsenal.

If you said 12 year ago that arsenal would loose players to United or city and not be able do anything about it you would be mad. Same with Fabregas to a lesser extent he left and went to barca he was arsenals captain they didn't replace him or Viera before him.

I love the club investing in kids and the likes but we need players that have the winning mentality and are leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Massive mistake letting Tevez go imo.

He wanted to stay.

The fans wanted him to stay.

But for some reason Fergie just didnt fancy him.

He wanted to stay.

Again he point stands that it wasn't a ronaldo like situation where we were fighting to keep him but he moved anyway.

FWIW that for me was a worse decision than either Beckham or Stam. Choosing Berbatov over Tevez was absolute madness. Buying Berbatov int he first place was madness too.

Tevez would probably still be playing for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

For some strange reason i reckon we will line up with

Carrick - Herrera

Mata - Januzaj - Rashford

Rooney

Maybe not in those positions but i reckon Januzaj will start, Depay was too ****e the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Again he point stands that it wasn't a ronaldo like situation where we were fighting to keep him but he moved anyway.

FWIW that for me was a worse decision than either Beckham or Stam. Choosing Berbatov over Tevez was absolute madness. Buying Berbatov int he first place was madness too.

Tevez would probably still be playing for us.

Aye, Ronaldo certainly is the only one that I can think of that wanted off and was close to the finished article.

Tevez is one that still annoys me. At least you can say with Ronaldo that he left because he wanted to leave.

He loved being at the club, gave his heart and soul in every game and could back it up on the field. An absolute terrier. Things could have been so much different if he had of stayed.

I wasn't basing it on who we have lost I was basing it on what may happen if the club just invest in talented kids and if we turned into an arsenal.

If you said 12 year ago that arsenal would loose players to United or city and not be able do anything about it you would be mad. Same with Fabregas to a lesser extent he left and went to barca he was arsenals captain they didn't replace him or Viera before him.

I love the club investing in kids and the likes but we need players that have the winning mentality and are leaders.

That's why I said invest in a leader in the middle. A Viera Keane figure to push the kids on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He wanted to stay.

He wanted to stay my ass.... City paid his agent 48m and he moved to our direct rival for bucket loads of cash

We also offered him a 5 year contract.

That's why I said invest in a leader in the middle. A Viera Keane figure to push the kids on.

Yep we agree then they be no fights here pal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Is Ashley Young fit?

If so I reckon we'll go with;

De Gea

Valencia Smalling Blind Rojo

Carrick Schneiderlin

Lingard Rooney Young

Rashford

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'd rather CBJ than Rojo at left back as neither look like they can defend but CBJ can, at least, cross a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

bangkok wrote: »
    He wanted to stay my ass.... City paid his agent 48m and he moved to our direct rival for bucket loads of cash

I still can't understand how anyone believed (or still believes) this. It was so obvious that he wanted was to take the money at City, and Sir Alex even called his bluff before he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I always thought it was right to let Tevez go, there was clearly some rubbish going on behind the scenes and Fergie was right not to stand for it. Tevez was good but he wasn't a Ronaldo, and some of the crap he got up to at his later clubs just reinforced my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Surely the rumours on Twitter are bull****.. loads going around that Shaw is set to be named in the Euro's squad.. I ****in hate Roy Hodgson ugh.

NVM its fake, thank God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

glued wrote: »
    I'd rather CBJ than Rojo at left back as neither look like they can defend but CBJ can, at least, cross a ball.

Wasn't great against Norwich but overall he CBJ has been solid defensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

beno619 wrote: »
    Wasn't great against Norwich but overall he CBJ has been solid defensively.

CBJ's have been a bit of a mixed bag. Rojo's have been consistently poor. Easy decision for me.

• Advertisement

I thought about Ruud but he was 30 when we sold him and looking at his time at Real he was close to the end. Scored at a great rate but played few enough games. Even at that, it wasn't like he forced the move, we shifted him because of fallings out with Ronaldo/Quiroz iirc.

His record for real was better than it was for us

Aye, Ronaldo certainly is the only one that I can think of that wanted off and was close to the finished article.

Tevez is one that still annoys me. At least you can say with Ronaldo that he left because he wanted to leave.

He loved being at the club, gave his heart and soul in every game and could back it up on the field. An absolute terrier. Things could have been so much different if he had of stayed.

Why was Tevezs record for us so bad compared to his time at city and juve

His record for real was better than it was for us

Scored at a great rate. I said exactly that in my post.

Apart from the first season though he played very little football.

Why was Tevezs record for us so bad compared to his time at city and juve

You seem to be of the opinion that scoring record is the only way to judge a player. Tevez was much better overall for us than when at City. Sacrificed himself for the team, just like Rooney did at the tail end or the Ronaldo era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Predictions for tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Predictions for tomorrow?

Bunch of hammers fans crying over Upton Park?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Likely....but I think they will score first, I think it might be 1.1 :/

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Likely....but I think they will score first, I think it might be 1.1 :/

Have to stay positive ill go for a 2 nil win for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We've scored 14 goals in our last 14 games, we just don't score enough. A draw is coming I fear, either West Ham or Bournemouth. Martial is injured too and he's played a part in 8 of those 14 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

jayo26 wrote:

Upton? Kate Upton? Time to crack out the gifs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm expecting 0 or 1 point tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I countered your landscape point in the paragraph/line immediately after I called it BS, so hop down off your high horse there bud. I avoided nothing so how about you apologise for that. I'll say it again - Uniteds performances and results this season are crap because they are crap. Are you honestly trying to argue that losing at home to NORWICH was because the football landscape shifted? Or is it because the United side played rubbish in that game, and many others?

I had said in the summer Mourinho wouldn't the season because Roman and his people had turned it sour at Chelsea again (like they did first time around). They got him none of the defensive targets he wanted, none of the midfield targets he wanted and foisted an unwanted Pedro on him - all the stuff that made him want to leave the first time around and was promised wouldn't happen this time.

I was surprise at just how badly it went, but I don't see why we have to consider that will be it for Jose. He proved himself a winner at Chelsea, Inter, Real and Porto.

Also - as for other clubs performances....

Widespread calls for Wenger to step down.
    City ARE changing their manager.
    Chelsea ARE changing their manager.
    Liverpool DID change their manager.

Yet United should keep their underperforming manager.

I often think mitch is pessimistic but he's completely on point here and you are being obtuse by ignoring the pertinent points drumpot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I countered your landscape point in the paragraph/line immediately after I called it BS, so hop down off your high horse there bud. I avoided nothing so how about you apologise for that. I'll say it again - Uniteds performances and results this season are crap because they are crap. Are you honestly trying to argue that losing at home to NORWICH was because the football landscape shifted? Or is it because the United side played rubbish in that game, and many others?

I had said in the summer Mourinho wouldn't the season because Roman and his people had turned it sour at Chelsea again (like they did first time around). They got him none of the defensive targets he wanted, none of the midfield targets he wanted and foisted an unwanted Pedro on him - all the stuff that made him want to leave the first time around and was promised wouldn't happen this time.

I was surprise at just how badly it went, but I don't see why we have to consider that will be it for Jose. He proved himself a winner at Chelsea, Inter, Real and Porto.

Also - as for other clubs performances....

Widespread calls for Wenger to step down.
    City ARE changing their manager.
    Chelsea ARE changing their manager.
    Liverpool DID change their manager.

Yet United should keep their underperforming manager.

I often think mitch is pessimistic but he's completely on point here and you are being obtuse by ignoring the pertinent points drumpot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

I have a feeling that we will draw tomorrow leaving us one behind with one to play, but then see us beating Bournemouth on Sunday while Citeh only manage a draw away to Swansea leaving us a point ahead come sunday evening. Have backed the following the results and also backed us to finish top 4. City look disinterested...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's the hope that kills ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

It's the hope that kills ya

Isn't it though.
    West Ham have a lot to play for tonight.
    They have a chance of European football, will want to finish off the season with a win and leave Upton on a high.
    I think our only hope is that the occasion gets to them and they are overwhelmed by the emotion in the stands.
    Not much hope though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Isn't it though.
    West Ham have a lot to play for tonight.
    They have a chance of European football, will want to finish off the season with a win and leave Upton on a high.
    I think our only hope is that the occasion gets to them and they are overwhelmed by the emotion in the stands.
    Not much hope though.
    United beat them comfortably in the FA Cup at their own ground and they lost pretty bad to Swansea at the weekend. Should be looking to win and win well. Fellaini is a loss but a chance for others to do well. 2 boring 1-0s would be great from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Winning 0-2 this evening.

Mata and Rooney to score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

First goal of the game is vital.

I can't see us making a comeback in a game like this especially with the event and our away form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

It would be great to ruin their farewell party tonight and sign off at Upton Park with a big win. Sweet revenge for the titles that place cost us in '92 and '95. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Scrappy affair, a few yellows to go around. We'll score but not sure we'll win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Sometimes this type of big occasions can overwhelm a team, like the 08 city game with the Munich memorial . Hoping this happens tonight and we can get a nice handy 2-0 win

wayne-rooney-goal-against-west-ham-b.gif

• Why the **** do West Ham have to be playing the last game at Upton Park?!!!
    Today of all days!

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Why the **** do West Ham have to be playing the last game at Upton Park?!!!
    Today of all days!

They will be under alot of pressure to win today at home.

Pressure causes mistakes.

Pity we are under pressure to win aswell lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement