Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No need for payment details, a donation to Alone would be great if it suits.

I blame Van Gaal ;)

Great charity, I remember when at school which is a while ago, learning about the founder and Alone.

anyway...
    ALONE Secure Payments

Donations are securely processed by our partner Realex Payments.
    [FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial] Thank you. Your Donation, for €20.00 has been succesfully processed. Your reference number, which should be quoted in any discussion with ALONE, is 201605191715xx-xx6

To continue browsing please click here

I put in a few x's, not that I expect anyone would be using it.
    [/FONT]

RobertKK wrote: »
    Great charity, I remember when at school which is a while ago, learning about the founder and Alone.

anyway...
    ALONE Secure Payments

Donations are securely processed by our partner Realex Payments.
    [FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial] Thank you. Your Donation, for €20.00 has been succesfully processed. Your reference number, which should be quoted in any discussion with ALONE, is 201605191715xx-xx6

To continue browsing please click here

I put in a few x's, not that I expect anyone would be using it.
    [/FONT]

Sure ya coulda typed that out yourself :pac:

stankratz wrote: »
    Sure ya coulda typed that out yourself :pac:

I am like the Lannisters...they always pay their debts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You want to bet?

You think Van Gaal will be in charge next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

adox wrote: »
    You think Van Gaal will be in charge next season?

Jose is coming, and its going to be fecking glorious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I don't know whether someone is taking the piss with Arsenal's wikipedia page but there's a lengthy section of their honour roll for "Friendly Cups" with their 4 wins of the Emirates Cup noted in bold as a record. :D:D:D

Korat wrote: »
    I don't know whether someone is taking the piss with Arsenal's wikipedia page but there's a lengthy section of their honour roll for "Friendly Cups" with their 4 wins of the Emirates Cup noted in bold as a record. :D:D:D

I though you were taking the piss haha
    Friendly cups
    Emirates Cup[159]
    Winners (4): 2007, 2009, 2010, 2015 (record)
    Premier League Asia Trophy[160]
    Winners (1): 2015
    Super Match[161]
    Winners (1): 2013
    Saitama City Cup[138]
    Indonesia Cup[162]
    Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust Challenge Cup[163]
    Winners (1): 2012 (shared)
    Malaysia Cup[164][165]
    Winners (2): 2011, 2012
    Markus Liebherr Memorial Cup[166]
    Winners (1): 2012
    Amsterdam Tournament[138]
    Winners (3): 2005, 2007, 2008
    Herbert Chapman Memorial Trophy[167][168]
    Winners (1): 2008
    Maurice Lacroix Trophy[169][170]
    Winners (1): 2002
    Wembley International Tournament[138]
    Winners (3): 1988, 1989, 1994
    United Bank International Soccer Festival[144]
    Winners (1): 1993
    Caltex Cup[171][172]
    Winners (2): 1990, 1991
    Zenith Data Systems British Championship[173]
    Winners (2): 1953, 1989
    Zenith Data Systems Challenge Trophy[174]
    Winners (1): 1989
    Bielfeld Tournament[138]
    Winners (1): 1984
    Jean Bernard-Levy Trophy[175][176]
    Winners (2): 1951, 1954 (record)
    Will Mather Manor House Hospital Memorial Trophy[144]
    Winners (2): 1949, 1950
    City of Edinburgh Cup[173]
    Winners (1): 1941
    Mayor of Colchester's Cup[177]
    Winners (1): 1939
    Bath Coronation Cup[178]
    Winners (1): 1937
    Norfolk & Norwich Hospital Cup[179][180]
    Winners (2): 1914, 1935
    Northampton Hospital Charity Shield[181]
    Winners (3): 1930, 1931, 1932
    Southend Hospital Cup[182]
    Winners (2): 1920–21, 1921–22
    Metropolitan Hospital Cup[182]
    Winners (1): 1920–21
    London Professional Footballers' Association Charity Fund Match[144]
    Winners (4): 1908, 1910, 1911, 1912

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ah that Metropolitan Hospital Cup win in 1921 will continue to echo through the ages in fairness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Periera has given an interview saying he requested a loan move in January but LVG convinced him to stay with a promise of some game time, which never materialised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Periera has given an interview saying he requested a loan move in January but LVG convinced him to stay with a promise of some game time, which never materialised.

I had a discussion with somebody on here months ago regarding Periera, I thought it was unprofessional the way Van Gaal was stringing him along and the rest of the season just reinforced that view.

Game after game after game as an unused sub is in many ways worse than not making the matchday squad at all, from a psychological point of view and especially in a team performing as badly as ours. Add in having to watch others come from nowhere and get chances while he gets none, I can understand why he would want to go on loan, and understand why lies from Van Gaal would be a problem.

Louis Van Gaal, the great youth developer. Unless you are Periera of course. Or Depay. Or Januzaj. Or Wilson, Varela, or McNair. But especially not Periera.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »

Id say he must be the most pissed off out of all the players, he has been totally ****ed around by LVG by all accounts.. This season has more than likely stunted his development, hopefully he gets a good loan to begin next season and comes back and contributes during the second half of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I hope when José comes in eventually, he won't mess up the team too much, maybe a few signings here & there, to shore up the team, get rid of 1 or 2 players, maybe give the younger players a chance, let them impress, but then again it's José, so that's what I am kinda afraid off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

You want to bet?

He's gone, there's absolutely no chance he's staying.

He's gone, there's absolutely no chance he's staying.

I have an awful feeling he is going to stay. :(

Its like a runner, running a marathon but wearing a pair of heavy boots. After 5 miles people can see the boots are a problem but he keeps going. After 10 miles its obvious the boots are holding him back but he decides to ignore the pain and see if things will improve. At 15 miles his feet are in bits and his best mate is trying to give him some fancy new running shoes but he ignores his mate and decides to keep running in the boots.

The boots were a problem at 5, 10 and 15 miles and he didn't change them, what is going to be different at mile 20?

It was clear as day Van Gaal should have been gone last summer or especially last December, who is to say the same utterly stupid decision making that let him keep his job then won't also let him keep his job now?

I had a discussion with somebody on here months ago regarding Periera, I thought it was unprofessional the way Van Gaal was stringing him along and the rest of the season just reinforced that view.

Game after game after game as an unused sub is in many ways worse than not making the matchday squad at all, from a psychological point of view and especially in a team performing as badly as ours. Add in having to watch others come from nowhere and get chances while he gets none, I can understand why he would want to go on loan, and understand why lies from Van Gaal would be a problem.

Louis Van Gaal, the great youth developer. Unless you are Periera of course. Or Depay. Or Januzaj. Or Wilson, Varela, or McNair. But especially not Periera.

There was a point where I was giving him the benefit of the doubt in relation to youth development. Once the senior players started coming back and some of the youths were never heard from again though, it became apparent to me that rather than developing youth, he was simply replacing injuries.

As for Periera, he has not been treated well.

Its like a runner, running a marathon but wearing a pair of heavy boots. After 5 miles people can see the boots are a problem but he keeps going. After 10 miles its obvious the boots are holding him back but he decides to ignore the pain and see if things will improve. At 15 miles his feet are in bits and his best mate is trying to give him some fancy new running shoes but he ignores his mate and decides to keep running in the boots.

The boots were a problem at 5, 10 and 15 miles and he didn't change them, what is going to be different at mile 20?

It was clear as day Van Gaal should have been gone last summer or especially last December, who is to say the same utterly stupid decision making that let him keep his job then won't also let him keep his job now?

I think, whether correct or incorrect, that the board kept him until it was clear we were out of CL contention and then when we made the cup final, said they would wait until after that. They may have given him some leeway with results given injuries (which clearly weren't the issue) for a time. They may have been thinking to last year when we had a mini resurgence that ended up getting us across the line.

But despite looking like he doesn't know what he's doing football wise, Woodward is a good businessman and he'll know that Van Gaal is bad for business - and Mourinho is good. For instance if Van Gaal stays and we continue to struggle, then getting that new official textiles partner from Indonesia will be tough to do as no one wants to be affiliated with continuously faltering team - or they won't pay as much. Right now sponsors are investing in a club they believe will return to being one of the best (aswell as one of the biggest) and only success can put us on that road.

Nobody bar Van Gaal reckons his job is safe and I think after the FA Cup final is over then the dust will settle for a couple of days before they make the announcement.

Edit: much the same ending as Moyes, he wasn't sacked until it was impossible to reach a CL spot after losing to Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I think, whether correct or incorrect, that the board kept him until it was clear we were out of CL contention and then when we made the cup final, said they would wait until after that. They may have given him some leeway with results given injuries (which clearly weren't the issue) for a time. They may have been thinking to last year when we had a mini resurgence that ended up getting us across the line.

But despite looking like he doesn't know what he's doing football wise, Woodward is a good businessman and he'll know that Van Gaal is bad for business - and Mourinho is good. For instance if Van Gaal stays and we continue to struggle, then getting that new official textiles partner from Indonesia will be tough to do as no one wants to be affiliated with continuously faltering team - or they won't pay as much. Right now sponsors are investing in a club they believe will return to being one of the best (aswell as one of the biggest) and only success can put us on that road.

Nobody bar Van Gaal reckons his job is safe and I think after the FA Cup final is over then the dust will settle for a couple of days before they make the announcement.

Wouldn't be surprised if LVG announced it in his post match interview at the weekend, go out with him controlling the moment.

Personally, last Summer was a bit too early for me. December? Without a doubt. Even LVG thought he was gone in December with those "Maybe I go myself" comments.

Your analogy about the runner and the boots - I can only hope that the board see this clearer than any of us fans, and for whatever reason they have been waiting until the end of the season to get some slick, new, special shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Personally, last Summer was a bit too early for me. December? Without a doubt. Even LVG thought he was gone in December with those "Maybe I go myself" comments.

Your analogy about the runner and the boots - I can only hope that the board see this clearer than any of us fans, and for whatever reason they have been waiting until the end of the season to get some slick, new, special shoes.

Not new shoes....a bleedin Kenyan is what we need :)

I think, whether correct or incorrect, that the board kept him until it was clear we were out of CL contention

Then the board are idiots, because it really was clear as day 6 months ago that Van Gaal should have been sacked, long before CL contention ever was a significant factor in that decision.

• Advertisement

I can only hope that the board see this clearer than any of us fans, and for whatever reason they have been waiting until the end of the season to get some slick, new, special shoes.

The problem is the reason they have waited until now. Is it a stupid reason such as thinking that Van Gaal might actually turn it around, or a subtle reason such as Mourinho having some personal stuff to sort out first?

My gut tells me its a stupid reason.

The problem is the reason they have waited until now. Is it a stupid reason such as thinking that Van Gaal might actually turn it around, or a subtle reason such as Mourinho having some personal stuff to sort out first?

My gut tells me its a stupid reason.

I don't know what to think myself, but I'm leaning more to Mourinho was the choice back in December/January and the club learned that he had a non-compete clause with Chelsea, so the club thought it would be more beneficial to have LVG in charge instead of Giggs at that stage.

Then the board are idiots, because it really was clear as day 6 months ago that Van Gaal should have been sacked, long before CL contention ever was a significant factor in that decision.

I agree. But I think that's what happened. Everyone knew from an early stage too that Moyes wasn't up to it and they prolonged it until we were out of the Champions League, and after a half decent performance against Bayern gave him until we were out of contention for the CL the following year. Two days after it became mathematically impossible he was gone.

It's just a matter of time I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

If we win the FA Cup, I'd assume there will be no announcement, regarding Van Gaal, until after the trophy is paraded in Manchester or OT.

Didn't want to click the link or even go into the tweet, Custis is now reporting this :pac:
    EXCLUSIVE: LvG to be offered #MUFC director of football role to let Mourinho in as as boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

I have a feeling that the board are waiting for the details to come out from Mourinhos upcoming court case over the doctor sacking at Chelsea. I heard there is a lot of very negative character material about him to be made public

billyhead wrote: »
    I have a feeling that the board are waiting for the details to come out from Mourinhos upcoming court case over the doctor sacking at Chelsea. I heard there is a lot of very negative character material about him to be made public

If that was genuinely the boards thinking then somebody should tell them that there are other options out there. If they are genuinely worried about a court case then pass on Mourinho and get somebody else, whoever it may be, because sticking with Van Gaal since christmas and wasting this season all because of a possible Mourinho court case would be horrible management.

billyhead wrote: »

Considering his current reputation with some people I can't imagine anything new will be revealed about him unless he's a racist or beats his wife.

Wouldn't be too hard just to ask Mendes what's going to be said in court and whether it would impact the reputation of the club. If it was bad then they'd have discounted Mourinho a long time ago and could easily have spared LVG the last 6 months of rumours by just making a definitive statement that they would not be employing Mourinho in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Gaal as DOF would be mad there's no way he wouldn't try to interfere and then there's bust ups to deal with

• Advertisement

Van Gaal as DOF would be mad there's no way he wouldn't try to interfere and then there's bust ups to deal with

Given that it's the Sun, it's more than likely boll*cks but sometimes offering these positions is a way of getting the manager to leave, i.e. they never take the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Given that it's the Sun, it's more than likely boll*cks but sometimes offering these positions is a way of getting the manager to leave, i.e. they never take the position.

Initially Berta from Athletico was being mentioned a DOF alongside Mourinho but that talk has died down considerably. I wouldnt trust LVG to direct traffic at this point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If we win the FA Cup, I'd assume there will be no announcement, regarding Van Gaal, until after the trophy is paraded in Manchester or OT.

They are hardley going to parade the fa cup now if they do well expectations from the board really have fallen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

duffman13 wrote: »
    In fairness I dont normally take enjoyment of Liverpool losing but when a pool fan rocks in last week and starts spouting that United had intentionally left a fake bomb in the toilets to gain an advantage over City it kind of makes you realise how petty it can get.

I missed that but how anyone could find themselves bothered by someone obviously talking ****e is beyond me

There was an article in the Guardian a while back about how Bobby Robson was replaced by LVG in a similar manner at Barcelona.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/mar/01/jose-mourinho-louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-together

I missed that but how anyone could find themselves bothered by someone obviously talking ****e is beyond me

It wasnt been bothered it was more of an ok you have your moment but dont moan when ye fall flat on your face again when ye fail to win it and we laugh in your face.

It was exact same as the year they were gonna win the league they came into the thread after the semi final laughing because they had champions league football and we didn't.

Its comical more then anything they shout and cry for respect but act like a clown first chance they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

In theory it could work, I would bet against it though, pretty strongly.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The van gaal DoF story was flagged on Red Issue last week. Seemingly a more ceremonial title than you would normally expect of it. Basically gardening leave with a title.

The van gaal DoF story was flagged on Red Issue last week. Seemingly a more ceremonial title than you would normally expect of it. Basically gardening leave with a title.

I hear stories like this, and at other times posters saying that they hope for this or that so that Van Gaal can leave with dignity etc etc.

I don't get it, who gives a toss about Van Gaals personal pride? I don't mean we should actively denigrate the man publicly but why would that be a factor in big decisions that the club needs to be making?

Gardening leave with a title? Why bother, just put the man on ****ing gardening leave, just like other managers at hundreds of clubs over the years. Let him see out the season so he can walk away with his head held high? Bollocks to that, sack him weeks ago and try to save CL football.

I can guess the response, he is a manager with a long and successful career that deserves extra respect. Sure, maybe he is a storied manager, but the fact is that Manchester United owe him nothing. Nothing! He utterly failed in his job and they should have let him go without any regard to what he thought about it. Let Bayern or Barca worry about his pride.

Again, I'm not saying he should be publicly lynched, just that our decisions should not for one second be based on trying to placate the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

jayo26 wrote: »
    They are hardley going to parade the fa cup now if they do well expectations from the board really have fallen.

Its one of 4 trophies you can win each year, of course they need to parade it. We haven't won it in years.

Fingers crossed we win it, really great chance to get back to winning ways.

Maybe Ed was telling Neil some rumours...

I mean, people laughed at Neil Custis when he said it was Neymar who Woodward was after from the Barcelona team and not Pedro.
    Some thought he had lost his mind, he did receive a lot of ridicule, then we had Neymar Sr come out and say yes they received an offer from Manchester United for Neymar Jr.

I don't think Custis would just make this up. I think one reason Ed has stood by LVG is the fact the two men and their wives are said to be really good friends and do dine out together.
    So I could see Ed not having the courage to sack LVG without offering him another role at the club.

Then Mourinho and LVG are said to be friends, with Mourinho said to see LVG as one of his closest friends in football.

Van Gaal said last season about Mourinho: "He's very special but he is very special for me because we've continued our relationship, which in the football world is not always normal. That's nice."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would be worried having a DoF who not three days ago was saying fans were expecting too much if they weren't happy with challenging for forth.

We parade the league cup when we win that too, you parade a cup.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Fair enough i didnt think we paraded domestic cups on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We have to win the bloody thing before we worry about whether there will be a parade or not.

We have fcuked up gilt edged chances all season so nothing can be taken for granted.

We have to win the bloody thing before we worry about whether there will be a parade or not.

We have fcuked up gilt edged chances all season so nothing can be taken for granted.

Haha of course.. it would be nice to finish on a positive note but palace have been saving themselves for cup games since February by the looks of it they gonns be a hard game fast attackers against our defence aint good.

Every single one of them by my count. Law of averages suggests we may actually win one of the must win games surely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Van Gaals exit should be exactly that, an exit. Don't want him hanging around the club. He made a mess of his time in charge and should be nowhere near the club going forward.

We parade the league cup when we win that too, you parade a cup.

Not on it's own we fecking don't. :D

I don't remember there being a parade of the FA Cup in 2004. It's too small a trophy for us to make a big deal about, we're not Arsenal fffs. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

adox wrote: »
    Van Gaals exit should be exactly that, an exit. Don't want him hanging around the club. He made a mess of his time in charge and should be nowhere near the club going forward.

Exactly.

Its like giving him a reward for being a failure otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

We're definitely having a parade. They've been practicing for weeks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement