Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A parade? Isn't that expecting a little too much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

A parade? Isn't that expecting a little too much?

Yeah it's a bit much but all winners do it. That said I've very little faith in us beating Palace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

RobertKK wrote: »
    I don't think Custis would just make this up. I think one reason Ed has stood by LVG is the fact the two men and their wives are said to be really good friends and do dine out together.
    So I could see Ed not having the courage to sack LVG without offering him another role at the club.

If that's the case, Woodward lacks the professionalism to be a manager in a call centre or retail shop. Not saying it isn't, but that carry on drives me nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

In all seriousness they would have to assess if enough people would turn up for a parade. I think they could manage a small trip around OT and there'd be enough people there to avoid embarrassment. Anything more ambitious should be out of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The United team bus has just arrived at Wembley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The United team bus has just arrived at Wembley.

The lads are clearly there early to plant some suspect devices. Every advantage and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

adox wrote: »
    Van Gaals exit should be exactly that, an exit. Don't want him hanging around the club. He made a mess of his time in charge and should be nowhere near the club going forward.

tara.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

just on van gaal and the DOF stuff, no one here has any idea of what he is doing behind the scenes, yes on the field it has been poor, but maybe he has re-structured the club academy, training ground etc and would make a good DOF..

if Mourinho came on board as manager with LVG as director of football i dont think there would be too many on here upset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Ferguson's first teamsheet bears no comparison to LVGs current choice of players.
    Ferguson steps into a complete mess of a club and rebuilt from scratch.
    LVG had a pretty good set-up handed to him and a huge budget to re-build a squad.
    Banners calling for Fergusons head shouldn't be compared to those calling for LVG's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nalz wrote: »
    tara.jpg

No idea why you posted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I think Phil Jones is in the squad lads.

They tweeted out pictures of the kit men loading up the kits for the final and Jones's was there.

We are wearing the white kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Would be worried having a DoF who not three days ago was saying fans were expecting too much if they weren't happy with challenging for forth.

What about being a DoF and not being able to speak comprehensive English ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

weisses wrote: »

I'd be of the believe that a language is easier to learn than ambition...

Sky saying United are not planning to appoint a DoF (conspiracist in me says that would be the official line as it otherwise spills beans on LVG going).

Also saying there will be no parade as too many players are heading off on Euro duty after the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ferguson's first teamsheet bears no comparison to LVGs current choice of players.
    LVG had a pretty good set-up handed to him and a huge budget to re-build a squad.
    Banners calling for Fergusons head shouldn't be compared to those calling for LVG's.

You don't even need to go to that level of detail to discredit this line of thought since the logic is awful even on its face.

The implication is that any manager who has a poor tenure is likely to eventually turn it around like Ferguson if given enough time, as though what Ferguson did is common, or an inevitability. Whereas it's clearly much more likely that a bad manager will just carry on being bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

How sad am I that I was out and about for work on Wednesday night and bumped into some Liverpool fans who told me the final score and all I wanted to do was finish early, rush home and read the end of the match thread. :pac:

You guys bring that little bit of happiness that gets me through the harsh realities of life in rural Estonia.

I'd be of the believe that a language is easier to learn than ambition...

A person can have all the ambition or lack off they want but being a DoF requires a far better comprehension of the English language then what is displayed by LVG ... After so much time in England he should be able to speak better English.

RE ambition ... He was appointed general manager/director at Ajax in 2011 ... Which in the end was blocked by Cruyff.

I can see him fulfilling a role like that but not in England

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

All good things start with a cup win. Victory tomorrow would be huge in the development of this particular team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

All "pundits" on Sky saying Palace will win.

These days Sky are wrong on almost everything. We are going to win so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

United had a very good side when Ferguson took over. It was one of the best squads in the first division at the time.

You had McGrath, Moran, Albiston, Duxbury and Siveback who were all top defenders.

In midfield you had Robson, Moses, Strachan and Jesper Olsen and you had a young Norman Whitesde up front along with Peter Davenport. All of these players were highly regarded in the league.

I'd say what LVG came into was a much worse squad comparing it to the rest of the league at those times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You can't understand LVG? I think that's more a problem with your comprehension than his English tbh...

A person can have all the ambition or lack off they want but being a DoF requires a far better comprehension of the English language then what is displayed by LVG ... After so much time in England he should be able to speak better English.

RE ambition ... He was appointed general manager/director at Ajax in 2011 ... Which in the end was blocked by Cruyff.

I can see him fulfilling a role like that but not in England

he has only been in england for 2 years!!

the man speaks Dutch, German, Spanish and English.

how many languages can you speak?

bangkok wrote: »
    he has only been in england for 2 years!!

the man speaks Dutch, German, Spanish and English.

how many languages can you speak?

Speaking a few lines in any language is different then being a potential director of football doing meetings possible negotiations etc ...

His press conferences in all the countries you mentioned are still considered legendary .... Even in Dutch

Speaking a few lines in any language is different then being a potential director of football doing meetings possible negotiations etc ...

His press conferences in all the countries you mentioned are still considered legendary .... Even in Dutch

being a manager of Manchester United is a lot more difficult than being a director of football of Manchester United and has lots more interviews meetings etc than being DOF. Im sure he will get by just fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Doing meetings with people and agents from Spanish clubs, or Italian Clubs.... how ever could he cope?:rolleyes:

Anyway - if he does get such a role, I am sure it won't be all that involved. Basically just a way for United and LVG to save face (needlessly, imo) on the fiasco.

Liam O wrote: »
    You can't understand LVG? I think that's more a problem with your comprehension than his English tbh...

I can understand him in English German and Dutch ... Maybe I hold a higher standard in regards to languages.

Being Dutch I know first hand how important it is to speak English at a certain level ... We all can manage ourselves in a pub but holding meetings in a board room requires a different level of the English Language.

Anyway - if he does get such a role, I am sure it won't be all that involved. Basically just a way for United and LVG to save face (needlessly, imo) on the fiasco.

IF given such a role, I think he'll be there for a few months as a pretty figure head before quietly retiring away from the spotlight.

At this stage, I'll take anything to get Jose in :P

IF given such a role, I think he'll be there for a few months as a pretty figure head before quietly retiring away from the spotlight.

At this stage, I'll take anything to get Jose in :P

I could see LVG getting the title, and doing very little in reality, before moving on next summer and a 'proper' DoF being brought in when the idea has been normalised (for United)

• Advertisement

I could see LVG getting the title, and doing very little in reality, before moving on next summer and a 'proper' DoF being brought in when the idea has been normalised (for United)

Do you think they could even appoint someone (for example Berta) to work as his "assistant", who is doing 99% of the work anyway, and then when LVG steps down, just change the "assistants" job and "promote" him?

Do you think they could even appoint someone (for example Berta) to work as his "assistant", who is doing 99% of the work anyway, and then when LVG steps down, just change the "assistants" job and "promote" him?

Personally, I would doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

eagle eye wrote: »
    United had a very good side when Ferguson took over. It was one of the best squads in the first division at the time.

You had McGrath, Moran, Albiston, Duxbury and Siveback who were all top defenders.

In midfield you had Robson, Moses, Strachan and Jesper Olsen and you had a young Norman Whitesde up front along with Peter Davenport. All of these players were highly regarded in the league.

I'd say what LVG came into was a mu ch worse squad comparing it to the rest of the league at those times.

You're right that was a decent team for the time.

It was much easier to win the league back then with English clubs banned from European competitions after the disgrace of Hysel, which saw such a tragic loss of innocent life and the flight of the best players and coaches to the continent as a result.

Titles won between 1986-1991 should really come with an asterix beside them.

That Utd team should have achieved much more. Fergie saw their limitations were as much off the pitch as on it and took action. A lot of fans including me weren't happy at him getting rid of some of our favourite players but in hindsight they were seriously flawed and were holding us back.

You can't compare Fergie rooting out a drinking culture and bringing the club up to higher professional standards, already being adopted by teams in Italy and much of Europe, and what LVG has done in the last 2 years. LVG has been openly setting lower standards for the club. Of course there those, rival fans you’d expect, who want that to continue. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Doing meetings with people and agents from Spanish clubs, or Italian Clubs.... how ever could he cope?:rolleyes:

Could be a way of letting him continue to oversee the structures being built behind the scenes, but removing him from first team managerial affairs.

As I said, in theory that could work. I wouldn't stake any money on it though and think it would be better to just cut the chord. If he is being removed from his job as first team manager he should leave the club rather then hang around, upstairs or anywhere else.

I don't think he could help himself from trying to control and influence first team decisions, and I don't think it would give the next manager a fair crack at the whip.

Anyway, his final game is tomorrow, here's hoping he can go out with a win!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Oh I agree for the most part, I posted it partly as a joke and to raise a little debate too.

I think Fergie was given a large budge though, and although he had "a pretty good set-up" he was given an ageing team somewhat

Evra, Vidic, Rio, Carrick, Giggs, Scholes etc were all part of Fergies latter years and last winning title season. Jones was forever injured and Kagawa and the likes were not setting the world a light. Moyes came along and added Fellaini and Varela.

Fergie spent well in the late 80s and early 90s. McClair, Anderson, Hughes, Leighton, Wallace, Donaghy, Phelan, Webb, Ince, Pallister, Bruce.... the list goes on. All for big money.

These aren't totally my views, but I have heard this argument a good few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Oh sweet sufferin' jaysus..that cringe worthy X-Men trailer featuring Wazza is so bad.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/733613698644738048

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Oh sweet sufferin' jaysus..that cringe worthy X-Men trailer featuring Wazza is so bad.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/733613698644738048

in fairness, that is aimed at the teenage/child market which happens to be massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    in fairness, that is aimed at the teenage/child market which happens to be massive.

I agree while it is cringey other clubs sich as liverpool are doing a lot more cringey things for noodles and whatnot too. Let them off the positive is that lvg aint in it so he nust be gone haha.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    I agree while it is cringey other clubs sich as liverpool are doing a lot more cringey things for noodles and whatnot too. Let them off the positive is that lvg aint in it so he nust be gone haha.

also, all them noodle partners etc that we have, there are cringe adverts all over asia involving most premier league teams including United that would be never seen in england.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye4V3HV3XIQ

here is one such ad

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I thought it was funny, but how dare they dismiss both De Gea and Martial... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I see Fosu-Mensah has been pulled out of the Dutch squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

dubmick wrote: »

Due to lack of fitness according to M.E.N yesterday. Apparently he's now in an international "tug of war" as Ghana want him to play for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Legend.

XddlJ2D.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

dubmick wrote: »

Fosu Mensah was in the Dutch squad?? Senior or underage??
    I heard about the tug of war but if he got a senior call up fair balls to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

brinty wrote: »
    Fosu Mensah was in the Dutch squad?? Senior or underage??
    I heard about the tug of war but if he got a senior call up fair balls to him

It was the senior squad AFAIK as Danny Blind was the one who commented on him not being fully fit

Link- http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-news-fosu-mensah-11354409

rooney says him and Carrick will lift the trophy if they win it, surely means its carricks last game for the club? Would def give him another year contract

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I hope TFM declares for the Dutch. We could do without him going off to the ACN for a month next January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

I'd have no problem giving Carrick another year long contract if he's happy to be a bit part player. He's fairly reliable and vastly experience in our young-ish squad. If however, like John O'Shea for example, wants more first team football at a lower club I wouldn't begrudge him that.

Julez wrote: »
    I'd have no problem giving Carrick another year long contract if he's happy to be a bit part player. He's fairly reliable and vastly experience in our young-ish squad. If however, like John O'Shea for example, wants more first team football at a lower club I wouldn't begrudge him that.

He would fit perfectly into the arsenal team and i could see him going there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement