Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Martial is a young player too. Martial said Rooney had to google to see who he was before he joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RobertKK wrote: »
    Martial is a young player too. Martial said Rooney had to google to see who he was before he joined.

"Ah grand, they're spending 400 million on some kid I've never heard of before. I'm safe for another couple of years at least."

*A Short Time Later*

"Oh God I'm a midfielder now."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Yeah one decision will undo all the work. People said same when Rooney came back but Rashford still retained his place.

CBJ hasn't retained his place.

The point always was that "all the work" is actually just smoke and mirrors, when you delve into the nitty gritty Van Gaal isn't actually developing youth well and most players actually are not getting any better under him. Go through the squad player by player and judge for yourself.

When people tried to defend Van Gaal and paint him as a coach that looked to the future and developed youth players the litmus test was always what would happen when the choice came down to an older player versus a younger. We have our answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

We badly need Fellaini today, we can't defend set pieces for ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

It's the FA Cup final and LVGs last game, its all positivity today. No more playing like Raisins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If we giving out about youths getting a chance now imagine the hearth failiour if jose did take over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The point always was that "all the work" is actually just smoke and mirrors, when you delve into the nitty gritty Van Gaal isn't actually developing youth well and most players actually are not getting any better under him. Go through the squad player by player and judge for yourself.

When people tried to defend Van Gaal and paint him as a coach that looked to the future and developed youth players the litmus test was always what would happen when the choice came down to an older player versus a younger. We have our answer.

Rashford retained his place when Rooney returned.

So according to you developing youth means playing them all the time? It doesn't work like that. There will always be a balance and young players won't play every single game.

I don't even have to defend Van Gaal, just go and read Fergie's interview and the process of how the young players are introduced to first team.

He has given so many chances to the young players and even for the next manager, they don't have to spend money on squad players. They are promoted from youth set up already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Jose's probably printing off his boarding pass as we speak, so the LVG talk wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    If we givingoyt about youths getting a chance now imagine the hearth failiour if jose did take over

If youngsters are good enough for a title winning/challenging team then they will get game time under Jose, like he has shown in previous stints, as recent as Courtois and Zouma. I'm certain the likes of Rashford and TFM will be around the first team under him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Then why has the horribly out of form Rojo been picked ahead of the in form CBJ?

Because maybe he only gives youth a chance when his hand is forced. I.E when he doesn't have any other options.

He's being given far too much credit for giving youth a chance.

He thinned the squad down, not to integrate younger players into the first team but because he thought he could get away with that size squad. The younger players were back up, emergency players. I can't remember any of them being introduced when there were no injuries, which is what you would do if you were serious about developing youth. The only one I can think of is Januzai, who was a constant starter in the first team at the start of the season, bizzare lay played at no 10 and then shipped out on loan!!

CBJ not even being in the squad tells you all you need to know.

astradave wrote: »
    If youngsters are good enough for a title winning/challenging team then they will get game time under Jose, like he has shown in previous stints, as recent as Courtois and Zouma. I'm certain the likes of Rashford and TFM will be around the first team under him.

Ive no doubts he be grand if they are good enough i mean everyone will com0lain for sake of it.

jayo26 wrote: »
    If we giving out about youths getting a chance now imagine the hearth failiour if jose did take over

It's not giving out about not giving youth a chance, it's giving out about the narrative that Van Gaal has purposely looked to develope young players and give them a chance at Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lord TSC wrote:
    Arguably, Van Gaal hasn't successfully integrated another youth player into the team.

Lingard....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Apologies is this has been mentioned already but MUTV and MUTVHD are free to view today on Sky for those who don't have the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

madcabbage wrote:
    Apologies is this has been mentioned already but MUTV and MUTVHD are free to view today on Sky for those who don't have the channel.

Is it on virgin too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

brinty wrote:
    Is it on virgin too...

I can confirm it is not. PITA that they are.

I'm more excited than expected about today. It would be just fantastic for Utd to get back to winning ways post Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

adox wrote: »
    It's not giving out about not giving youth a chance, it's giving out about the narrative that Van Gaal has purposely looked to develope young players and give them a chance at Utd.

so you made up your own narrative to say lvg trimmed the squad down because he thought he could get away with it? that's your agenda, determined to give the man absolutely no credit for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

BBC2 now

1990 cup final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

brinty wrote: »
    Lingard....

Lingard is 23 and hopefully won't be near the team next year he's not near the United standard. LVG has given chance to youth when he's had too, it's great to see but he went straight back to Rojo when he was fit despite the fact he's been awful. Varela should have got more game time and so should Pereira.

There's enough sticks to beat LVG with this season, his use of youth team players was great, his return to established players who didn't even have "match rhythm" was ridiculous. His unusual subs is another thing, bringing Januzaj on and Powell in must win games despite not being near the team was nuts.

Looking forward to a change in the club.

• Advertisement

Because maybe he only gives youth a chance when his hand is forced. I.E when he doesn't have any other options.

He's being given far too much credit for giving youth a chance.

He thinned the squad down, not to integrate younger players into the first team but because he thought he could get away with that size squad. The younger players were back up, emergency players. I can't remember any of them being introduced when there were no injuries, which is what you would do if you were serious about developing youth. The only one I can think of is Januzai, who was a constant starter in the first team at the start of the season, bizzare lay played at no 10 and then shipped out on loan!!

CBJ not even being in the squad tells you all you need to know.

Yeah, change the whole first team squad and top of that you expect systematic introduction of young players to the first team, all in just 2 years. Surely that's not unrealistic or FMesque.

Considering how much first team squad is changed, Van Gaal deserves lot of credit for playing younger players. It's hard to play youngsters when you are not winning, easy to integrate them when the team is a winning machine.

Bold part is ridiculously agenda driven point nothing more. There is enough stick to beat Van Gaal, no need to stoop to Sun journalism level to beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Hi Guys; looking for a bit of advice; In Dublin for the day and looking for a decent pub to watch the game in area around Dawson; Grafton St or Timpall bar?

so you made up your own narrative to say lvg trimmed the squad down because he thought he could get away with it? that's your agenda, determined to give the man absolutely no credit for anything.

No it's my opinion and reading of the situation.

I don't have an agenda. I have an opinion but carry on...

Hi Guys; looking for a bit of advice; In Dublin for the day and looking for a decent pub to watch the game in area around Dawson; Grafton St or Timpall bar?

Trinity bar :) just ignore the liverpool connection it be grand :)

Yeah, change the whole first team squad and top of that you expect systematic introduction of young players to the first team, all in just 2 years. Surely that's not unrealistic or FMesque.

Considering how much first team squad is changed, Van Gaal deserves lot of credit for playing younger players. It's hard to play youngsters when you are not winning, easy to integrate them when the team is a winning machine.

Bold part is ridiculously agenda driven point nothing more. There is enough stick to beat Van Gaal, no need to stoop to Sun journalism level to beat him.

Ah go away out of that will ya. That's my read on it. Sun journalism? Would ya listen to yourself!!!!!!

Ah go away out of that will ya. That's my read on it. Sun journalism? Would ya listen to yourself!!!!!!

Looks like I sort of crossed the line there, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Great finish from Wright

Looks like I sort of crossed the line there, apologies.

Fair enough.

Look I don't have an agenda. I've made no secret on here that I've wanted Van Gaal gone since before Christmas and think he has done untold damage to Utd during his tenure,but the opinions I give are honest opinions and aren't agenda driven because I want him gone. If I thought the same as you on the youth players I would post it. Also I don't think that my wish for him to be gone is tainting my view on said youth development. I just read it completely differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Will Shaw get a medal today? Do the entire squad get or only the players that have played throughout the competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That is your own arbitrary litmus test though. Wouldn't it be better to judge it a little further down the line? It is common practice that young players are introduced and then taken in and out of the first team on a regular basis before they establish themselves as first team regulars.

In one season it is tough enough to reach any reasonable conclusion tbh.

Rashford has integrated very well for the most part and kept his place on form as much as anything else. That is quite rare though, Kelechi for City has been damn good too, and developing very nicely but he is not played week in week out (753 mins in PL)

Personal preference plays quite a large part too, CBJ has been good, he can deliver a ball well but he has not been undroppable and has been caught at times defensively. I would actually err toward playing him ahead of Rojo as he has been pretty poor imo but that is a different debate.

I am not even saying your conclusion is definitely wrong, but I would dispute the method you use to reach it. Deciding a guy doesn't care about youth development or the future because he takes a young player out of the team after putting him in it, taking that as the ultimate evidence is just an extension of confirmation bias really.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Hughes loved an overhead didn't he. unbelievable technique he had

I'm more excited than expected about today. It would be just fantastic for Utd to get back to winning ways post Fergie.

You have to be excited for today!

First FA cup final in yonks, way too long since we last won this trophy :)

Can't wait for the match, really hope the players go out and get it done and give us something to smile about in what has been another feckin **** bag of a season!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Will Shaw get a medal today? Do the entire squad get or only the players that have played throughout the competition?

I think he will I think the club gets loads of winners medals, like a full squad size amount.

astradave wrote: »
    Hughes loved an overhead didn't he. unbelievable technique he had

Absolutely love Sparky

Hughes 10 was my first every jersey that I bought :) Broke my heart when he went to City

94 fa cup what a game ;)

You have to be excited for today!

First FA cup final in yonks, way too long since we last won this trophy :)

Can't wait for the match, really hope the players go out and get it done and give us something to smile about in what has been another feckin **** bag of a season!

I am!! I knew I would be no matter what, but I am really really excited. :D

Like a little flash back to the 80s or so when you had the big build up all day(well until 3 pm kick off) would really be fantastic to see Utd lift the cup.

Could be great for the morale of the club too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

markc1184 wrote: »
    Is there still a big deal made of Cup Final match day suits? Do United bother or just wear their Club suits?

And what ever happened to the cup final song?
    Come On You Reds was a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I think he will I think the club gets loads of winners medals, like a full squad size amount.

Thanks for that (unsure if you were being a bit sarcastic,?). Was just unsure as he hasn't played at all, although obviously he was in the squad before injury :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Absolutely love Sparky

Hughes 10 was my first every jersey that I bought Broke my heart when he went to City

My favourite ever Utd player; that equalizer v Oldham phwoar

• Advertisement

I am!! I knew I would be no matter what, but I am really really excited. :D

Like a little flash back to the 80s or so when you had the big build up all day(well until 3 pm kick off) would really be fantastic to see Utd lift the cup.

Could be great for the morale of the club too.

Regardless of what happens with the manager (he's gone) winning would be huge for the whole club right now.

Get a bit of cringe in to ya with the 1996 official Man United FA cup song :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

My favourite ever Utd player; that equalizer v Oldham phwoar

Was my favourite until Schmeichel came along and i went from wanting to be a striker to becoming a goalkeeper..

:pac:

I92b01k.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Amazing how people can twist everything once manager loses the support. No matter how people try to twist, point is youngsters are given chance because our squad is very thin. Our squad is thin because Van Gaal wanted that way to integrate Young players. If not for him we wouldn't have seen Rashford playing for senior team so soon. There are many examples where Manager played midfielder as striker.

If this is true then how come Rashford, CBJ, Verela & TFM were knowhere near the first team until an injury crisis ?

How come Rashford didnt make the bench in early rounds of the Carling/FA cup ?

How come none of those players were mentioned as being part of LVG first team at the start of the season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

beno619 wrote: »
    I this is true then how come Rashford, CBJ, Verela & TFM were knowhere near the first team until an injury crisis ?

How come Rashford didnt make the bench in early rounds of the Carling/FA cup ?

How come none of those players were mentioned as being part of LVG first team at the start of the season ?

Rashford was on the bench early this season, well before he got his debute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Rashford was on the bench early this season, well before he got his debute.

Was this during a shortage of forwards ?

beno619 wrote: »
    Was this during a shortage of forwards ?

We have a shortage of forwards all season :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I thought LVG would be a great appointment for United, looking at it from an outside point of view, I remember United having the same Aura of Barca/Bayern/Real and now they have a manager talking about rebuilding after spending the sums he spent. Their is no acceptable way that he stays after today win or lose. He showed he has no respect for players countless of times as for bringing youth through, that was purely a coincident, injuries forced his hand. The sooner Jose comes the better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

LVG will get credit for the debuts he's given young players but his work with our young players hasn't been a complete success story and there have been as many players who've gotten worse under him as have gotten better.

I'm not saying it would have been any different under another manager but he hasn't exactly waved a magic wand or anything. I'd be confident enough that Giggs could do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Absolutely love Sparky

Hughes 10 was my first every jersey that I bought :) Broke my heart when he went to City

I remember being over at the cliff one year and was down every day for about 2 weeks. Didn't give me the best impression of Mark Hughes. Only player who never came down to sign autographs. He also drove through the crowd erratically a few times. Obviously could have had personal issues or anything going on but I never liked him after that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement