Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Match thread needs to have hardcore bling zerks

Don't disappoint me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Liam O wrote: »
    United beat them comfortably in the FA Cup at their own ground and they lost pretty bad to Swansea at the weekend. Should be looking to win and win well. Fellaini is a loss but a chance for others to do well. 2 boring 1-0s would be great from here.

When was the last time we won well though?
    That FA Cup game was fairly hairy the last 10-15 minutes
    I'll happily take 2 squeeky bum 1-0s myself.
    The emotion of the occasion could affect the Hammers badly, or propel them to excel.
    I'm not sure we're equipped to handle the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

When was the last time we won well though?
    That FA Cup game was fairly hairy the last 10-15 minutes
    I'll happily take 2 squeeky bum 1-0s myself.
    The emotion of the occasion could affect the Hammers badly, or propel them to excel.
    I'm not sure we're equipped to handle the latter.

We're not equipped to handle teams that play Badley either to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Like I said before Norwich game, we be doing well to win it, never mind thinking it will be stroll in Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

L'Equipe saying Neymar will be an "absolute priority" for Woodward if we get 4th place. Ibrahimovic also linked.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/729924614739111936

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Like I said before Norwich game, we be doing well to win it, never mind thinking it will be stroll in Park.

Whatever it is,anytime Utd play at Upton Park,I always feel un easy about watching it,the games do be tight enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Tonight needs some old fashioned Rooney magic.

rooney.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

RobertKK wrote: »
    L'Equipe saying Neymar will be an "absolute priority" for Woodward if we get 4th place. Ibrahimovic also linked.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/729924614739111936

would rather let rashford develop than make a move for ibrahimovic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know I tend to be negative nowadays. My worries though are as follows.

* Big game for West Ham on multiple levels; last home game of the season, last home game in that stadium, need a win to keep a European spot in their hands.
    * Missing Martial (possibly) and Fellaini, two players who were very important the last time we played West Ham.
    * Against Norwich, it was a must win game, and yet we still only managed the one goal, which was practically gifted to us by a mistake. West Ham are a significantly better team than the ones we've struggled to beat in our last few games.

I really do want to be positive bout this but I fear we're going to drop points here :( But then I always do nowadays...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Lord TSC wrote: »

* Big game for West Ham on multiple levels; last home game of the season, last home game in that stadium, need a win to keep a European spot in their hands.
    * Missing Martial (possibly) and Fellaini, two players who were very important the last time we played West Ham.
    * Against Norwich, it was a must win game, and yet we still only managed the one goal, which was practically gifted to us by a mistake. West Ham are a significantly better team than the ones we've struggled to beat in our last few games.

I really do want to be positive bout this but I fear we're going to drop points here :( But then I always do nowadays...

And lets not forget West Ham are at their best as a counter attacking team which Utd will duly oblige with their monotonous possession.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

West Ham will come out to play at least, just as long as they don't play to well :pac:
    It's the lower teams that are content with a point that United have the most trouble with, like say... Bournemouth.
    It would be typical of this season if we won tonight and drew Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

If Utd concede first, I can't see them getting anything out of tonight. We roll over too easy to most teams when we let in goals.

• Lord TSC wrote: »

A point tonight isn't even that bad of a result.
    Final day of the season puts more pressure on Man City than Utd IMO and they will be playing Swansea away who have come into really good form of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Final day of the season puts more pressure on Man City than Utd IMO and they will be playing Swansea away who have come into really good form of late.

When you start thinking like that, you've already lost. :p

bangkok wrote: »
    would rather let rashford develop than make a move for ibrahimovic.

He has a great record for making a team win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RobertKK wrote: »
    He has a great record for making a team win the league.

And the fact is (imo) we need another striker. Bringing in an older player like Ibrahimovic would be a short term signing that allows Rashford room to develop without being relied upon 99% of the time. The kid is 18, lets build a balanced squad and see what happens. Rashford could turn out to be a bust anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Completely disagree.

Somehow, amazingly, we have Top 4 in our own hands. Its a miracle we've gotten that chance again, so I think it would be incredibly horrible to have to go into the final day again relying on other results. The whole "AGUREERRROOOOOO!" moment a few years back scarred me somewhat, but I think the fact we have Top 4 in our own hands means dropping points would be very poor form.

Swansea are unknown as well; yeah, they had some great results (3-1 vs Liverpool, 1-0 vs Chelsea, 4-1 vs West Ham) but they've had some bad ones as of late too (3-0 vs Newcastle, 4-0 vs Leicester). We don't know what Swansea will show up. Saw reports yesterday that several of their first team players are set to be rested as well, and they have nothing to play for at all. Relying on them to get anything off City is setting us up for a fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Completely disagree.

Somehow, amazingly, we have Top 4 in our own hands. Its a miracle we've gotten that chance again, so I think it would be incredibly horrible to have to go into the final day again relying on other results. The whole "AGUREERRROOOOOO!" moment a few years back scarred me somewhat, but I think the fact we have Top 4 in our own hands means dropping points would be very poor form.

Swansea are unknown as well; yeah, they had some great results (3-1 vs Liverpool, 1-0 vs Chelsea, 4-1 vs West Ham) but they've had some bad ones as of late too (3-0 vs Newcastle, 4-0 vs Leicester). We don't know what Swansea will show up. Saw reports yesterday that several of their first team players are set to be rested as well, and they have nothing to play for at all. Relying on them to get anything off City is setting us up for a fall.

Completely agree.

We should only be aiming to win these next two games. The players better at least look up for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

If Van Gaal persists with playing Lingard centrally and Mata on the wing then we might as well forget about it now. Our 'improved' form coincided with the restoring of players to their favoured positions, but Norwich saw Lingard and Mata switched again, incomprehensibly.

If we play Carrick with Rooney & Herrera in front of him, and Rashford with Depay, Lingard either side I'd feel relatively confident that we can sneak a win here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

And the fact is (imo) we need another striker. Bringing in an older player like Ibrahimovic would be a short term signing that allows Rashford room to develop without being relied upon 99% of the time. The kid is 18, lets build a balanced squad and see what happens. Rashford could turn out to be a bust anyway.

would much rather splash the cash on Greizemann, a player at the top of his game and imo will be one of the top 3 players in the world in a few years (although i think he will stay with athletico another season) rather than sign Ibrahimovic who is 35 at start of season and not exactly going to put a shift in for the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yep, Arsenal did us a favour and we need to take advantage of that. A win tonight gives us a boost against Bournemouth and I'd expect a handy win then. 4th place and flying, facing Palace in the FA Cup. Excellent end to a dire season.

bangkok wrote: »
    would much rather splash the cash on Greizemann, a player at the top of his game and imo will be one of the top 3 players in the world in a few years (although i think he will stay with athletico another season) rather than sign Ibrahimovic who is 35 at start of season and not exactly going to put a shift in for the team

For me - I would love a front three of Martial from the left, Greizmann from the right and Rashford/Rooney/Ibra in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Knowing us we will beat west game and mess it up by losing the weekend

Ibrahimovic goes to AC Milan and we line up with front three of:

Neymar-Martial-Griezmann.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There will be a lot of players playing for their United careers tonight, West Ham have a proud recent history of head on the beach before the end of the season. The United players should have more in them to do it. This season has provided more kicks in the teeth than any other though...

Swansea could finish in the top 10 in the league with the right results, I think they will play to win. They will have nothing to lose, unlike City.

Just read that Renato Sanchez has signed for Bayern...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Just read that Renato Sanchez has signed for Bayern...

Think Bayern got the wrong guy.

It's Renato Sanches we are supposed to be signing!

Sanches to Bayern for half the fee we were reported to be bidding for him. Another fine transfer saga from Woodward.

• Advertisement

Sanches to Bayern for half the fee we were reported to be bidding for him. Another fine transfer saga from Woodward.

If it's true how can you blame Woodward lol? The papers report bullsh1t but its Ed's fault cause he didn't sign him??

Key word being "reported"

Oh, the 'we were never in for him' brigade are out in force already. Sure we weren't, never interested. never. Woodward is awesome, everything is rosey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Bayern have signed Renato Sanchez; makes me think no Jose yo us either; Ed strikes again.

Bayern have signed Renato Sanchez; makes me think no Jose yo us either; Ed strikes again.

Thats the big fear alright.

Oh, the 'we were never in for him' brigade are out in force already. Sure we weren't, never interested. never. Woodward is awesome, everything is rosey.

No one is saying that but your going on reports. In paler the same papers that said yesterday we were signing him for 80 million quid so obviously they were wrong. The same papers that said we were after wrapping up jose months ago.

Sure let's all believe the papers and when what we want don't happen we will throw a fit and blame Woodward.

Maybe we were in for him and he wanted to join bayern is that still Woodward fault?

Wait till we just put Mitchs toys back in the pram ;););)

• Advertisement

I never said we weren't in for him did I? I don't know, you don't know. Sure as hell don't know what we bid if we were. It's comical how much stock you put in journalists when time and again it gets shown that very little info gets leaked anymore.
    Take your head out of the papers for a minute and look at what you actually posted. You are more or less slating someone on the back of a rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

https://twitter.com/FCBayern/status/729976727502467072/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Look at that. It's a competent club with a cohesive and organised transfer policy.

quad_red wrote:
    Look at that. It's a competent club with a cohesive and organised transfer policy.

Exactly; they're going to announce Hummels today too. Don't worry LVG and Ed will sign Mane for 60m on deadline day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Why would this be the case? Just because Mendes sold him to Bayern doesn't mean Jose isn't coming to us?

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Completely disagree.

Wouldn't it be nice to reverse this with "MAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRTIIIIAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!"
    It would be some end to the season :P

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote:
    Why would this be the case? Just because Mendes sold him to Bayern doesn't mean Jose isn't coming to us?

Maybe not but you would imagine if Utd and Jose really wanted him then Mendes would do that deal. Makes me think Utd have told Jose no and Mendes is sticking it to them.

• Speaking of the French wizard, is he fit for tonight!?

Sure Thiago Alcantara and Mehdi Benatia were "done deals" too. If Bayern want a player that United want he's going there. It's not even a tough decision for a young lad from Portugal.

Expect Thiago to follow Pep to City now too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

quad_red wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/FCBayern/status/729976727502467072/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

We really are a joke shop of a club

We really are a joke shop of a club

Why?

Where were all these journalists reporting Sanches to Bayern a done deal the last few weeks or did they just decide to buy him this morning?

Where were all these journalists reporting Sanches to Bayern a done deal the last few weeks or did they just decide to buy him this morning?

Maybe they made a move this week, and got it done quickly - maybe they don't need weeks upon weeks to negotiate for players they want to sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I'm starting to think other clubs are using us to associate players with, then sign them while all the limelight is on us

Sure Thiago Alcantara and Mehdi Benatia were "done deals" too. If Bayern want a player that United want he's going there. It's not even a tough decision for a young lad from Portugal.

Expect Thiago to follow Pep to City now too.

Maybe they made a move this week, and got it done quickly - maybe they don't need weeks upon weeks to negotiate for players they want to sign.

they're the best run club in the world; got Ancelotti tied up without a whisper as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

We'll never know whether Utd wanted him, tried to sign him or whether he just preferred Bayern.

But you have to hand it to Bayern, they get things done early and with little fuss. I know Utd did that last year with Martial but that was rare. Maybe there is more media speculation with English clubs but Bayern/Barca seem miles ahead of Utd in terms of getting transfers done.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement