Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I've never seen as much bitterness on the forum, we're back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Drumpot wrote: »
    If you don't have a policy of promoting youth players it's harder to get, maintain and generate them. The great barca side of a few years ago was made up mostly of youth players. I prefer that long term strategy. Jose has never been a promoter of youth so I don't have confidence he will choose to start at our club.

I was busy enjoying the win last night. I look at headlines this morning and it's all crap about Jose appointment. It's my own fault inall fairness for checking headlines but it's a sh*tty part of football culture that's made the sport less enjoyable for me.

If they are good enough they play, he brought through Morata and Jese at Madrid and gave them there debuts. I get what your saying about Barca but much like the class of 92 its very unusual to get a big bunch of players coming through together, it rarely happens. Even with the Barca (regular starters/subs) team this year its Messi, Busquets, Iniesta and Rafinha are the only players who came through the academy (all of them have been there years). Obviously you could count Pique and Alba who started with Barca but played for other clubs before being bought back.

Its not all black and white with academies and I would hold fire on Mourinho and his youth record, I think he sees this job as something he would like long term and will hopefully push for the upgrade of the academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

gosplan wrote: »
    I just think it's a bit different.

Fergie was hated because he was just so good. Of course if you were fighting it out for a title, he'd use every means to get under your skin. However title rivals aside, he was pretty respectful. He just won too much stuff.

Jose though is hated because he inspires hate through a whole bung of unnecessary actions. Think Suarez or JT. Loads of people hate Ronaldo because he's just so good. People hate Suarez and JT for their actions.

Anyway, loads of you are looking forward to it and of course that's not surprising because he tends to win a lot.

I just don't like the circus he brings.

All that said, he should be taken with a big dose of caution. Despite the success he's had a pretty messy last few years. Is it in him to win without all the fuss and negativity. If you assume you're getting 2-3 years max does he have it to go from Europa league to title in that time, especially given the competition.

You may look back in time and say that losing this 4th place to City was massive.

Jose hasn't committed any crime though so nothing he has done is unforgiveable. The only part of his antics I actually hate is the accusations of referees having prejudice against his teams. I just hate that because if anything it is more likely to work against you saying it out loud if you think referees really can be prejudiced.

There's no doubt the doctor issue at the start of last season was wrong but you live and learn. Hopefully.

Id be far more critical of the club giving the managers job to a despicable person like Ryan Giggs or John Terry as we all know what they have done to people. There is no morals in football. Once you accept that and just focus on pure ability to do a job then Jose is by far the best manager we could appoint.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Lukaku left Chelsea because Jose wouldn't play him. Better hope he's forgiven! Why would pogba come back to United? Aside From that, are we that desperate that we would spend huge money on a player who left for free in a strop only a few seasons ago?

Lukaku will come if we want him.

And yes we are that desperate to buy Pogba. He wont come back but to rule out a bid for him based on letting him go for free is just wrong. Makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Its a great Day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Dave
    Darmian Smalling Varane Shaw
    Pogba Sneiderlin
    Rooney
    Griezmann Ronaldo Martial

Please make this happen ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

To the people who are worried that José and his "hated" reputation are not in line with Manchester United - you're 100% correct. I don't disagree because I can't disagree - what you are saying is right. People dislike Mourinho and a lot of that is down to how he behaves.

And while I 100% agree with that statement, I'm also 100% on board with him and I am uncontrollably giddy at the prospect.

It boils down to what I want from my experience as a United fan. What I want from this team is 3 things:

1. I want them to win.
    2. I want to enjoy watching them winning.
    3. I want to enjoy rival fans being bitter about them winning.

Point 1 is straightforward, and something we've been starved of the last 3 years. I know, 3 years is a nanosecond in comparison to some clubs, but that's not relevant.

I think it's best summed up by how I felt the past few weeks - fully expecting a loss away to West Ham because I had no belief in the players to be "up" for such an atmosphere, nor the management to inspire that confidence. I wasn't entirely confident yesterday either, which is ridiculous. Manchester United in a cup final against a team in 15th place in the league - I should have had a confidence and expectation not too far from what I had when we were playing Millwall in the cup final back in 2004. But my expectations have been readjusted not just by 3 years of poor results, but 3 years of poor performances. I want United to be nothing less than favourites in every game in my own eyes - never mind the bookies - and heavy favourites for most.

On point 2 - people will say Mourinho's brand of football won't be any better than LVG's. Well, it can't be worse. I hated - hated - watching United this past year. I attribute it to many things - negative tactics, a lack of affinity between management and players, a lack of confidence by the players, and a poor morale in general. I fail to see how all that can continue with Mourinho in place. But it's not just the style of play that I need to love, it's the character.

This season we have been boring, bland, dull, negative etc. We have been sensationally uninteresting and ridiculousy uninspiring. Mourinho's personality alone will go a long way to remedying that. If he even makes the players seem like the give a toss again, then that will be a victory for me. One things for sure - he won't have Phil Jones taking corners, he won't have Ashley Young up front and he won't be making full back for full back substitutions when we're down with a few minutes to go.

Above all else, I want our players to be distinguishable on the pitch - if not for their talent, then for their character. If you watched a United game from years ago and just blurred out the players, or replaced them with black silhouettes - you could still tell who the players were.

That guy going in for a reckless tackle who earlier pinged a pass 40 yards through a needle head, and who nearly broke the back of the net with a strike? That was Scholes.

That guy who sent in a ridiculously curving cross right on to our strikers head? Had to have been Beckham.

The guy who actually ran at and beat 2/3 players in one dribble with step-overs aplenty? Ronaldo.

The guy throwing himself in front of shots headfirst, arsefirst and ballsfirst? Typical of Vidic.

Do the same with today's players and how could you tell them apart - how do you distinguish the guy who passes the ball sideways, doesn't show for the ball and doesn't attempt killer passes from the 9 others that do the exact same?

On point 3, I don't care how petty it is. My biggest pet peeve on here is when rival fans go into rival teams threads and pander to the masses. "Oh good game guys, jee whiz that was barnstormer for sure, glad to have taken part!" - it infuriates me. I like my rival fans how I like my ale and ex-wives - bitter and cold.

I want our manager to run down the touchline in front of those fans fist-pumping and knee-sliding. I want him to have rivalries with other managers - heck, if Mourinho makes United-Arsenal an actual noteworthy fixture again then he'll be a hero. I want other fans to dislike him, I want them to quote what he says and I want them to seethe when he celebrates.

Remember how Ferguson was hated? And Ronaldo? And Keane, Scholes, Neville, Rooney, Nani etc. Sure people admired their talent, but for the most part opposition fans just didn't like them. I miss all of that, I miss having players you can rally behind because you know they'll wind up opposition fans. Rooney, Fellaini and Ashley Young in their current forms are the closest we have to those types of players (and funnily enough most of the hate is coming from our own fans).

But opposition fans won't get too wound up by these players because they're not threatening. They have no personality, nothing to get offended by. I want Mourinho to come in - encourage these (and other) players to be themselves and not care about what others think. I want him to then take the heat for it and defend his players like he always does and the hate just goes from there.

All I want is to care about United again. I want to plan my evenings and weekends around United matches, I don't want to be in the position I was this season where I'd watch a United match if I had nothing else on. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone - I'm not claiming this how all die-hard United fans felt - this is just how I felt. The above is what I want, not what I want other United fans to have. And I don't see a single other manager out there who is available that would come close to making the above happen other than Mourinho.

Mourinho is our Trump. Let's make United great again. /s

manchester-united-flag-620x299.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

GSPfan wrote: »
    Jose hasn't committed any crime though so nothing he has done is unforgiveable. The only part of his antics I actually hate is the accusations of referees having prejudice against his teams. I just hate that because if anything it is more likely to work against you saying it out loud if you think referees really can be prejudiced.

There's no doubt the doctor issue at the start of last season was wrong but you live and learn. Hopefully.

Id be far more critical of the club giving the managers job to a despicable person like Ryan Giggs or John Terry as we all know what they have done to people. There is no morals in football. Once you accept that and just focus on pure ability to do a job then Jose is by far the best manager we could appoint.

The doctor thing was a miscalculation tbh. I think he was just picking a soft target to railroad in order to unite the team under his authority. It backfired but if it had worked people would have been calling it shrewd.

The eye-gouge for me was the lowest. And it pretty much is a crime too. So was the doctor thing really if he's ruled against in the case.

So technically he is guilty of crimes.

For me though, it's just the overall negativity I can't stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Dave Darmian Smalling Varane Shaw Pogba Sneiderlin Rooney Griezmann Ronaldo Martial

Anyone but Mike for me
    A liability for months
    Two own goals and always looked like he'd be sent off yesterday after the first yellow..
    His early season form was not a sign of things to come but more of a flash in the pan..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Sky sports news interviewer this morning asked LVG about the situation and LVG said "it's over". The club are still keeping very quiet but I'd say an announcement will happen soon. Maybe tomorrow for business reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I wouldn't give up on Smalling, I just think he still needs someone with a bit more experience next to him talking to him and to not put the pressure of leading the backline on him.

He was excellent for a good part of this season, his form started dipping after Christmas, he is too handsy at set pieces and still lunges too often trying to nick possession and puts himself in situations like today where he makes a stupid foul after over committing. He has also played a lot of games this season, can't think of any he was rested for? It was a good season overall for him and he is still young enough to continue his improvement.

Put it this way, if you gave me the choice of having Smalling at United next year or Mourinho I would still be picking Mike :P

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It should be remembered with Mata, that Mourinho let him join a club that he wanted to manage...
    He expected it when Fergie left and it was written in a book that he cried when he didn't get the job, I think he expected it when Moyes was sacked but LVG was given the job.

You can be sure Jose is very happy at how things turned out at Chelsea, ends up with his dream job at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Quandary wrote: »
    Sky sports news interviewer this morning asked LVG about the situation and LVG said "it's over". The club are still keeping very quiet but I'd say an announcement will happen soon. Maybe tomorrow for business reasons.

Looks like only a matter of time before its made official alright.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

RobertKK wrote: »

You can be sure Jose is very happy at how things turned out at Chelsea, ends up with his dream job at last.

You are deluded if you actually think this. Why on earth would he happy about what happened at Chelsea? You can be sure the way it ended was a massive blow to him.

• Advertisement

Dave
    Darmian Smalling Varane Shaw
    Pogba Sneiderlin
    Rooney
    Griezmann Ronaldo Martial

Please make this happen ed

Griezmann has said he is staying at Atletico and hopes to have his new contract signed before the Euros.
    I'd be optimistic about Varane and Pogba. Ronaldo, would love him back but with no CL I'd severely doubt it unless he wants to return to United to become their all time top scorer and have a record that shows he was the all time top scorer at Real Madrid and Manchester United, which would end the perennial argument who is the best: Messi or Ronaldo.
    Ronaldo scored 50+ goals for the 6th season in a row.

Johner wrote: »
    You are deluded if you actually think this. Why on earth would he happy about what happened at Chelsea? You can be sure the way it ended was a massive blow to him.

Yes it was a massive to blow to him, but sometimes things that looked bad at the time, can end up looking like a blessing with hindsight.
    Jose ends up with the job he has wanted for years now.

gosplan wrote: »
    The doctor thing was a miscalculation tbh. I think he was just picking a soft target to railroad in order to unite the team under his authority. It backfired but if it had worked people would have been calling it shrewd.

The eye-gouge for me was the lowest. And it pretty much is a crime too. So was the doctor thing really if he's ruled against in the case.

So technically he is guilty of crimes.

For me though, it's just the overall negativity I can't stand.

I get your points but he is not guilty of any crimes. If you base any physical harm done to another in or around a football game as a crime then almost every player alive is a criminal.

Stringer I agree he needs a talker beside him but he's been around for years and still makes then same mistakes over and over
    Lunges in, handsy and clumsy etc
    I'm not giving up on him but he shouldn't be your first choice Centre back
    If any of laporte varane or stones come in I'd expect them to supplant Smalling immediately

I wonder what happens with Giggs next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Never nice to see a man lose his job regardless of the situation. At least he walks away having won something.

Polo_Mint wrote:

Didn't he say he'd go if he didn't get the job
    #byebyegiggsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭billyhead

I reckon the likely signings would be Ibrahimavic for a year or two to help Rushford develop into a top striker, stones and the number one target Pogba. I think De gea staying would be a massive result and with Shaw back it's like a new signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭billyhead

brinty wrote: »
    Didn't he say he'd go if he didn't get the job
    #byebyegiggsy

Giggsy is as good as gone. Mourinho will bring rua faria with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It should be remembered with Mata, that Mourinho let him join a club that he wanted to manage...
    He expected it when Fergie left and it was written in a book that he cried when he didn't get the job, I think he expected it when Moyes was sacked but LVG was given the job.

Are you actually for real or that deluded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Smalling is a beast and definitely deserves to be starting next year.

Imo the reason he looks so careless and rash at times is usually because he is filling in for the other defenders being out of position or them being too slow to react.

All he needs is calm, natural, strong CB partner, which i think Jose will bring in.

Then with Blind, his best position imo is CDM. Carrick looks well finished now and I think next season, Blind, Schweinsteger, Schneiderlin and probably even Rooney will be playing in the CDM role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Jose better keep an eye on his daughter if Giggs hangs around:D

M2.png

zerks wrote:
    Jose better keep an eye on his daughter if Giggs hangs around

And his wife...

Smalling is a beast and definitely deserves to be starting next year.

Imo the reason he looks so careless and rash at times is usually because he is filling in for the other defenders being out of position or them being too slow to react.

All he needs is calm, natural, strong CB partner, which i think Jose will bring in.

Then with Blind, his best position imo is CDM. Carrick looks well finished now and I think next season, Blind, Schweinsteger, Schneiderlin and probably even Rooney will be playing in the CDM role

Smalling will always take one for the team as he knows the risk if he doesnt.

Just like Jones would take a beating for the team if needed lol

Lukker- wrote: »
    Are you actually for real or that deluded?

What club do you support?

Just wondering, because people who support other clubs often lack the knowledge of other clubs and the going ons...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/26/jose-mourinho-cried-manchester-united
    Torres said that Mourinho was on the phone constantly to his sports agency Gestifute. "Mourinho wouldn't stop calling them. His 'interlocutors' had heard him sob loudly and they were spreading the word. The most feared man in the company was crushed."

Manchester Evening news said Mourinho had been 'auditioning' for the job since 2009.

Fact is, Mourinho sold Mata to a club he wanted to manage and it was reported he did cry when overlooked when Fergie retired.

• Advertisement

What club do you support?

Just wondering, because people who support other clubs often lack the knowledge of other clubs and the going ons...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/26/jose-mourinho-cried-manchester-united

The book, whose account has been denied by Mourinho's adviser

Manchester Evening news said Mourinho had been 'auditioning' for the job since 2009.

Fact is, Mourinho sold Mata to a club he wanted to manage and it was reported he did cry when overlooked when Fergie retired.

So Mourinho sold Mata to United so he could then manage him himself at United? Are you well in the head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Reading the other threads is beautiful lads. The salt is fantastic. Fantastic I tell you.

Here you may need this

a0G0k.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

So Mourinho sold Mata to United so he could then manage him himself at United? Are you well in the head?

Yeah and he tried to sign Rooney for Chelsea cause he knew he was past it for when he eventually took over at united.

Jose is so smart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Anyone know much about Grzegorz Krychowiak. Could be Jose's first signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I'm not sure that's what he meant. I took it that he was keeping things sweet between himself and United. Not that I would believe that either.

Jose is using the cheat in Champ Manager where you start with two teams and sell all the best players to the other.

He will probably sell Mata but the fact remains he sold Mata to a club he has always wanted to manage.
    You think Mourinho's people wouldn't deny the claim he cried?

I am well in the head, but even if I wasn't you are showing why some people do hide mental health issues, as you asked that question in a manner that is meant to belittle me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Defensive mid for Sevilla isnt he?

Would rather not sign a d mid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Don't get the Jose 3 season myth tbh, even 30 seconds of thought will prove it a lie. Chelsea are a mad house, and no one survives at the helm, regardless of success. Even when he won them a title with a far worse squad than he is inheriting at United he still 'failed '.

Madrid? Do I have to explain why managers leave that place?

Porto and Inter? He could have stayed at both clubs and 'done a Fergie' with them and be very successful but he had and deserved bigger ambitions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Yep he is brilliant in fifa haha.

But seriously he is a decent player you may remember him putting in a motm performance for poland against ireland last year he is workhorse of a midfielder very strong not too flashy good passer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Defensive mid for Sevilla isnt he?

Would rather not sign a d mid

better get used to it, with Mou in charge it's pretty much guaranteed United will play with one.

I'm not sure that's what he meant. I took it that he was keeping things sweet between himself and United. Not that I would believe that either.

I've always thought Jose would like to manage United one day, he's always been very respectful to them, but I don't believe these stories about him crying etc. I think selling Mata to United was more a case of he didn't really see them as a threat any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

How the f**k do u pronounce that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mourinho is a truely excellent signing. I reckon you now have a good chance of keeping de Gea, and of getting Ibrahimovic in to partner Martial.

Add in a few Jose-type signings in defence and midfield and United could be very strong next year. Play the kids and fringe players in the Europa League and focus on the league and could be a good season.

With all the top managers that are now in the league, you need a manager who is used to big performances against the bigger clubs. Mourinho v Wenger, v Conte, v Ranieri, v Klopp, v Pep etc are all going to be over-hyped by Sky throughout next season, but he's exactly the sort of manager you want for those types of games. May not be pretty football but he'll get results in those games and play the football needed to win against the smaller teams which is the recipe for league success

I'm not going to go as far to say I'm jealous of the appointment, as I do like our manager and want to see him given time to put his mark on the team, but I do think that all excitement is justified right now for United fans. Tough couple of years but exactly the right appointment to turn things around. And if ye sign Ibra, then I'll say I'm jealous!! :)

I am well in the head, but even if I wasn't you are showing why some people do hide mental health issues, as you asked that question in a manner that is meant to belittle me.

It was a tongue in cheek comment. Some of your theories are a little far fetched some times, no offence intended.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Yeah and he tried to sign Rooney for Chelsea cause he knew he was past it for when he eventually took over at united.

Jose is so smart.

Yeah Rooney is really cutting it as a striker for United, they like United strikers which are finished as strikers, look at how they saw Falcao play for United then had to sign him.

It was a tongue in cheek comment. Some of your theories are a little far fetched some times, no offence intended.

The fact remains Mourinho has worked to stay in United's good books for years now so he would get the job he has wanted for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Don't get the Jose 3 season myth tbh, even 30 seconds of thought will prove it a lie. Chelsea are a mad house, and no one survives at the helm, regardless of success. Even when he won them a title with a far worse squad than he is inheriting at United he still 'failed '.

Madrid? Do I have to explain why managers leave that place?

Porto and Inter? He could have stayed at both clubs and 'done a Fergie' with them and be very successful but he had and deserved bigger ambitions.

The United squad is as bad if not worse than Chelsea when he took over, they only finished 3rd the season before he joined. It was a much stronger league that season too.

Lukker- wrote: »
    The United squad is as bad if not worse than Chelsea when he took over, they only finished 3rd the season before he joined. It was a much stronger league that season too.

United had one of the best records against the top teams this season, but an awful record against the bottom teams.
    All Jose had to do is strengthen the team, keep our record against the top teams going while making sure we win the games we should be winning against the teams lower down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

How the f**k do u pronounce that???

Jim.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement