Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Benzema posted a pic of him and his daughter on Instagram. Something interesting in the background...

lQdOnmk.jpg

would be a fantastic signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Benzema must of been down in heatons picking up the jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads on a serious not where's the lid of the FA Cup? It fell off when Waza and Carrick raised it and I haven't seen it in any pictures from the pressers or any of the lads tweets since?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads on a serious not where's the lid of the FA Cup? It fell off when Waza and Carrick raised it and I haven't seen it in any pictures from the pressers or any of the lads tweets since?

Ruined our lidtwat competition for 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

delighted with the win yesterday, as everyone would be. Didn't think it was a great performance - a typical United performance; all the possession, not much threat and looked susceptible on the counter attack - got lucky a couple of times and Smallings sending off was a risk we were taking all afternoon with everyone so far forward.

A captains contribution from Rooney for the equaliser - type of purposeful run we used to see from him far more often.

As for Jessie Lingard - I'm not his biggest fan by a long shot but fook - he scored the winner in the cup final for his boyhood club, having come through the ranks - HOW AMAZING MUST THAT HAVE FELT!?

I also really wish LVG had been given the day, at least, to enjoy the victory. So disappointing that such a leak happened, whether it came from United or Jose, it was classless and disappointing. United win the cup and it isn't even the biggest United news, disappointing.

• Advertisement

The lid doesnt really he on it much only when its sitting on display?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gosplan wrote: »
    LVG was boring as hell and very defensive.

So the football won't be worse under Jose.

I've actually figured it out. I hate the coverage he gets.

Well I hate him but big deal, I don't really like say Pardew either.

But now it's going to be wall to wall Jose. He's basically like the Donald Trump of football. The media lap it up because it's easy copy, he gets profile from it and feels emboldened, says something stupid, rinse and repeat.

That's the problem. All generic football journalism just went out the window. Any hope of decent analysis replaced by the pantomime.

Jose absence and Wenger not in the title race down the stretch was so refreshing this year. None of the mind numbing nonsense about 'mind games' and 'attracting attention off the players' attempting to portray egotistical rambling as some sort of deeper psychological magic. Ranieri is a nice respectful man who speaks in humble tones. I'll miss that.

That said, the siege mentality Mourinho creates is real. It's not a long term thing and it didn't work quite as well at Real and Chelsea part deux as it did the previous three times. You ride the wave for three years and you hope you win a League and CL before it unravels. When a Mourinho team is rocking and rolling its an electric spectacle imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Everyone's so excited in here! Lots of fantastically quotable content generated the last 18 hours. :)

Ice up son :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Would of been brilliant if he had a mic, dropped it and said "he's gone"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I haven't seen any predictions of doom for Celtic after appointing Brendan Rogers, which is odd considering he's blamed for leaving a catastrophic mess by LFC fans.

Not so much as a heads up. Where's the concern and solidarity with fellow football fans?

Disgraceful. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Can the mods merge all the super threads together? Sure it's all United now anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

That said, the siege mentality Mourinho creates is real. It's not a long term thing and it didn't work quite as well at Real and Chelsea part deux as it did the previous three times. You ride the wave for three years and you hope you win a League and CL before it unravels. When a Mourinho team is rocking and rolling its an electric spectacle imo.

It's going to be fun and games listening to Guardiola and Mourinho (particularly) take pops at each other.

As Thierry Henry said, Sky may as well move to Manchester for the next couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Of course she does. He didn't get sent off yesterday for being a twat.

Will be interesting to see what players last the summer at United.

Romero, Jones, Rojo, Herrera, Schweinstieger, Mata, Memphis, Januzaj, Wilson, Keane the ones with the biggest question marks over them, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Romero, Jones, Rojo, Herrera, Schweinstieger, Mata, Memphis, Januzaj, Wilson, Keane the ones with the biggest question marks over them, imo.

I'd say the biggest question is still the DDG one tbh...

Liam O wrote: »
    I'd say the biggest question is still the DDG one tbh...

I think Jose/Mendes will keep him at OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Our squad is tiny as it stands we aren't in a position too sell anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

bangkok wrote: »
    would be a fantastic signing

I doubt he'd sign for Mourinho. When Higuain was injured he told the press he has a lion but he's forced to play a pussycat.

• MrMac84 wrote: »
    Our squad is tiny as it stands we aren't in a position too sell anyone

Would agree to an extent but if Jose comes, expect at least 3+ sold in the summer

Mata guaranteed for a start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Schweinsteiger & Jones definatly- to many injuries.

Wilson I'd agree is probably gone.

The rest might get a stay of execution until January at least.

Mata Memphis & Herrera have potential under Jose. He doesn't really have anyone to replace Mata with so I think he might be safe for awhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://translate.google.ie/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbloggar.aftonbladet.se%2Fsillyseason%2F2016%2F05%2F22%2Fbomben-blir-zlatan-tranare-i-united%2F&edit-text=
    According to data Sportbladet career may get an unexpected turn in the summer. Something that matches Ibras statement that "something big will happen." According to new information submitted to the Sports blade is Zlatan Ibrahimovic is on his way to Manchester United. But not only the players but also the assistant coach. A real bomb, if it is true.

Zlatan would be the first name on the team sheet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The last week of the window will be busy for exits.

The squad size means Jose can give himself some time to make decisions on loans and sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So excited for the summer ahead, to see the changes Jose makes to this team.

Rival (and Liverpool) fans are seething, the fear factor is back.

Wish Van Gaal well, he gave it his best shot. Can't fault him for that

Lads just because jose comes in its not business as normal its still not guaranteed success it puts us in a better position lots of work has to be done.

I hope we get a more mature and mellow mourinho he is the best option available without a doubt but he needs to rane in his tantrums and fallouts with people.

Whenever he is announced i can see his first presser punchline been this is the special club.

I'd be looking for a first choice CB, first choice CM, first choice right winger and first choice striker. After that, it would depend on who is sold - and who is willing to be back up.

With Jose in, i'd actually have more faith in our potential for a good summer - based on Mendes likely being heavily involved in getting deals done, rather than Woodward driving it. Obviously Mendes isn't a United employee, but given his (rumoured) close relationship with Woodward and his obvious relationship with Jose, I can see him being a key figure in negotiating deals this summer.

would imagine the shortlist for CB will be Jones, Laporte and Varane - though we have been linked with Lindelof over the last few days - know nowt about that fella. Centre Mid seemed like it was going to be Sanches - maybe Mario now or Andre Gomes if he hasn't already gone to Juve, assuming Pogba is ungettable (or ungettable for United). right wing... dream would be Greizmann, maybe Sane or Mane. Striker - Ibrahimovic possible, would love to see us get Higuain. Don't see any hope of getting Kane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

fellaini back to everton as part of swap deal for one of lukaku, stones or barkley

• Advertisement

i could see Fellaini being kept - and used mostly as a 70+ minute battering ram when needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Everyone's so excited in here! Lots of fantastically quotable content generated the last 18 hours. :)

I know, its great isn't it, who'd think a section of fans would get giddy at the thought of potentially getting a world manager to take over, particularly after enduring a disappointing last 3 years.

Mad altogether!

I'd be very confident that we will get top 4 next season should Jose take charge, so much so I'd be willing to put money on it.

Would you take a gentlemans bet, say €50 to a charity of your own choosing that United will finish outside the top 4 if Jose takes over?

Make it a bit more interesting than just having a few quotes to give the rub over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

fellaini back to everton as part of swap deal for one of lukaku, stones or barkley

Will you give up on fellaini ffs

Guy has been a warrior for us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Am I the only one who thinks Jose will like Fellaini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Agreed. 2 of the 3 plus 15 million for him, I'd say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Your posts are absolutely ridiculous at this stage. Arguably our best midfielder this season and you want to get rid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I wouldn't get rid of any player. We can afford to add 4 world class players and keep everyone.

Zlatan for free.
    Stones for £40 million.
    Centre midfielder for £40 million.
    Griezmann for £50 million.

The names might change but generally we could bring in the above players for similar money and there is no reason why we would need to offload anyone. Carrick might go but thats all.

Fellaini played a huge role in United winning the FA cup.

He deserves another year at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

As much as Liverpool fans about Rodgers and how he was tactical messiah, all those triangles posted in Liverpool thread? :pac:

KH25 wrote: »

No I think he will like him too. I honestly think Fellaini's hair makes people think he's some kind of a joke but the guy is very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

GSPfan wrote: »
    I wouldn't get rid of any player. We can afford to add 4 world class players and keep everyone.

Zlatan for free.
    Stones for £40 million.

The names might change but generally we could bring in the above players for similar money and there is no reason why we would need to offload anyone. Carrick might go but thats all.

You'd be doing well to get Griezmann for less than his £80m release clause.

There's going to be a huge clearout, too many average players in your squad, not a chance Jose has any interest making top players out of a good chunk of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

KH25 wrote: »

I think he will be a starter under Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ibrahimovic won't be free. If he's coming here without a transfer fee, he's going to get a ridiculous signing fee and crazy wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Thought Fellaini again was very good yesterday, alongside De Gea arguably our best player in the Fa cup this season.

I think Mourinho will love him also, i remember him for Everton tearing United apart many times, i don't think we have seen the best of him yet, he will be a very useful player next season.

I can see Mourinho getting a lot more out of players next season who have been poor the past two years.

He has been better than any other cm this season don't see why he would be sold.

I really dont think stones would be vaule for money at all he is a liability alot of the time there are better young defenders for less money.

Varane might be getable if jose comes,laporte also there is a young athletico defender after having a great year called gimenez only 21 or 22 i think.

Lukker- wrote: »
    You'd be doing well to get Griezmann for less than his £80m release clause.

There's going to be a huge clearout, too many average players in your squad, not a chance Jose has any interest making top players out of a good chunk of them.

We'll see about Griezmann. I dont believe he is either worth or priced at £80 million. But it doesn't have to be him, just another player of a similar type and ability.

We can't have a huge clear out as we don't have any players left. There is no need for a clear out either. The average players just need to be played less.

I think people should forget about Griezmann.

Griezmann: ‘I said Atletico was among the best five teams in Europe and the truth is that now we’re among the best two, hopefully we’ll be the best in Europe. Atletico have given me an offer to carry on and I want to stay. ‘I want to get it all sorted before the Euros so I can play in France with my mind at ease.’

Which is what AS report in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Carrick is likely gone, which kind of helps as one of him, Schweinsteiger or Fellaini needed to be offloaded to make room in my opinion. Not sure it is how we will go, but I think Schneiderlin and Herrera have the makings of an excellent 'front two' in a three man midfield, just the guy at the back who we need is not currently at the club. Schweini, Fellaini and Perreira for depth and I'm satisfied there.

I know he is only proven for one season, but would have really liked Kante for that... not gonna happen now without CL football though, those Leicester lads are going to be very loyal for a year I reckon, and it would take a Barca/Bayern/Madrid type of option to see them go (or maybe City for the money). I don't see any of them going to a non-CL team since nearly all of their squad are either 'near the end' (Morgan, Huth, even Vardy is 29 so maybe 3 years at his peak left) or are relative nobodies just getting their first major exposure (Kante, Mahrez, Vardy again) who will be incredibly eager for CL football and likely won't even consider any other club that cannot offer it.

Otherwise I would like Rojo, Young, Valencia and possibly Jones gone. Bring in actual quality wide players for the first time in almost a decade (Martial notwithstanding!) and a quality CB.
    CB - Smalling, Blind, new guy, Darmian/Fonsu Mensah/Borthwick Jackson
    FB - Shaw, Darmian, CBJ, Fonsu Mensah... if needed in a pinch, Smalling on the right or Blind on the left.

Fill out the depth with either Jones/Varela, youth players (if we CBJ/FM are a sign of what else there is) or smaller fee signings. I just really don't want to see Young, Valencia or Rojo in the backline for us ever again. :o

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ibrahimovic won't be free. If he's coming here without a transfer fee, he's going to get a ridiculous signing fee and crazy wages.

Obviously. No transfer fee to pay is described as Free. No one thinks he is playing for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

GSPfan wrote: »

Zlatan for free.
    Stones for £40 million.

At the very least, Rojo, Jones, Schweinsteiger and Valdes should go. They really offer us nothing. Ideally Valencia and Young follow them out too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

MrMac84 wrote: »

Don't worry, I'm on the case. I've spent many seconds checking video footage of the celebrations. When Carrick and Rooney lifted it, the lid flew off and appears to have fallen over the railing into the stand below. Luckily, the area underneath was clear of fans as they had moved towards the pitch to get a better view of the players. As the camera pans out and down, you can see two men in suits, presumably security/staff, underneath the balcony and one of them runs down the steps towards the spot where it should have landed, based on the trajectory of trophy lifting, Rooney/Carrick's height differential, and their arm strength. Unfortunately, the trail goes cold at this point, causing the remainder of my investigation to be based entirely on wild speculation and conjecture. The lid would have landed on hard concrete most likely, as the plastic seats were folded up. I put it to the jury that the lid suffered moderate scratches and some denting from the impact, and is thus undergoing repairs at the moment, upon completion of which it will be returned to it's true home at Old Trafford.

Forget about all this Mourinho nonsense, the lid is where the real story is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement