Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

titan18 wrote: »
    At the very least, Rojo, Jones, Schweinsteiger and Valdes should go. They really offer us nothing. Ideally Valencia and Young follow them out too

I can see the logic in why you'd be ok with selling those players but do you really think Jose will gt rid of 4 to 6 players with the need to bring in 3 or 4 already. That means 8 to 10 new players coming in. That would be impossible to do in one summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Carrick is likely gone and this is disappointing to me. The season has ended without a word on any sort of offer so he will have been securing a way out one would think already. Given his ability, experience and the type of professional that he is there will be no shortage of takers. I'd have offered him a new contract in a heartbeat. A huge prescience and influence in the dressing room and a leader something that we don't have in spades and I'd be sorry to see him go. Ok might not have the box to box engine of old and he wont be starting every week but I doubt he would be at Arsenal or any of the other clubs that he is being linked with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

CR 7 wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'm on the case. I've spent many seconds checking video footage of the celebrations. When Carrick and Rooney lifted it, the lid flew off and appears to have fallen over the railing into the stand below. Luckily, the area underneath was clear of fans as they had moved towards the pitch to get a better view of the players. As the camera pans out and down, you can see two men in suits, presumably security/staff, underneath the balcony and one of them runs down the steps towards the spot where it should have landed, based on the trajectory of trophy lifting, Rooney/Carrick's height differential, and their arm strength. Unfortunately, the trail goes cold at this point, causing the remainder of my investigation to be based entirely on wild speculation and conjecture. The lid would have landed on hard concrete most likely, as the plastic seats were folded up. I put it to the jury that the lid suffered moderate scratches and some denting from the impact, and is thus undergoing repairs at the moment, upon completion of which it will be returned to it's true home at Old Trafford.

Forget about all this Mourinho nonsense, the lid is where the real story is.

Maybe mourinho has the lid and will return it at his unveiling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Your posts are absolutely ridiculous at this stage. Arguably our best midfielder this season and you want to get rid?

tbf that doesnt say alot about our CM options. Its been an awful season for them.

But lets face the truth here, fell shouldn't be getting into a 1st team of any top team that see's itself challenging for the league or the CL. He's a very limited player

There's also an argument to say is he even worth a squad player? I dont know myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads on a serious not where's the lid of the FA Cup? It fell off when Waza and Carrick raised it and I haven't seen it in any pictures from the pressers or any of the lads tweets since?

gKgA4wQr.jpg

With Martial.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    With Martial.

He always keeps a lid on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I wouldn't give up on Smalling, I just think he still needs someone with a bit more experience next to him talking to him and to not put the pressure of leading the backline on him.

He was excellent for a good part of this season, his form started dipping after Christmas, he is too handsy at set pieces and still lunges too often trying to nick possession and puts himself in situations like today where he makes a stupid foul after over committing. He has also played a lot of games this season, can't think of any he was rested for? It was a good season overall for him and he is still young enough to continue his improvement.

Put it this way, if you gave me the choice of having Smalling at United next year or Mourinho I would still be picking Mike :P

The criticism of him yesterday was remarkable, fickle football fans comes to mind.

While it wasn't his best game people calling for him to be sold was mental.

Had a great day and night yesterday, but was disappointed to get home and read that the headlines were not about the FA Cup win. Yes, disappointed. Why? Did I not want Jose in and LVG out? Sure I did, and I was so sure of it happening that I'm sure yesterday was not the day to announce it.

As it turns out, the club itself didn't leak the news but the most powerful man in football did. This is no surprise to me given the character of Mendes. Seems purely like a revenge move of some description on his part.

It was harsh on LVG. As for suggestions of someone getting Mendes in a room and giving him a bollicking over the leak - There is no such person or room that exists. Even SAF with his disdain for agents acknowledged how powerful Mendes was in his books. When Mendes next talks to Woodward, Ferguson, it will go along the lines of "You cheeky bastard, that was ruthless..." with Mendes replying "Meh...you burn me, I will burn you back. So, who wants to talk about money?"

I do feel bad for LVG, he should have been given the night to enjoy the achievement without his termination and the naming of his successor making the real headlines. Feel bad, but am not surprised. This is the English media who love the drama more than the actual football. This is LVG who pissed them off numerous times and refused to coddle them. This was Mendes chance to get back at LVG for whatever reason, also creating the perfect chance for the English media to get their knives in too. Someone mentioned the Red Wedding in a previous post, and they're not wrong. "Jorge Mendes sends his regards..."

LVG will go off now with a golden handshake and a major trophy in a fourth country, so he will be OK. As a United fan it is almost a moot point to say "Shame it didn't work out" as I'll always want it to be working out for the current manager, but I did really like Van Gaal. This is despite the fact that he was the maker of his own undoing. He had set about many potential swords to fall upon himself.

While the "Maybe the fans have too high expectations" comment was disappointing, it wasn't a killer blow for me. Just unfortunately another sign that the club currently had a manager in place whose best years were behind him and wasn't up to getting United back to where they needed to be. I haven't been exactly absolving LVG from blame since December/January, but each week that passed since then where he remained in charge saw the club become more culpable to me.

He demonstrated in December that his plan was going backwards rather than forwards. He looked a shell of a man in an interview after the Stoke game where he said "Maybe I will go myself..." The club obviously decided that despite diving out of the title race and a winnable CL group, they would keep him in place until Summer. Stevie Wonder could see that LVG was overseeing a decline rather than a renaissance, but the board took a big gamble and with the missing out on a CL spot, it failed.

In any season with any manager, I'm delighted with an F.A. Cup win. So thanks to LVG for that. He'll leave Manchester United with no ill feelings from me, just disappointment, and I'll even say that depending on how the young talent he brought in and through at the club fare out for us (from Martial to Fonsu-Mensah) history might look kinder on him than the present does.

Now we hopefully progress on from this. The Cup win yesterday was great for us fans of course, but it was nice to see the players walking around the pitch celebrating, with smiles on their faces for a change. This will no doubt benefit those in the team who haven't won silverware before like the younger players, and even those like Rooney and DDG who haven't won the F.A. Cup before. DDG looked genuinely thrilled to get his hands on the Cup. Hopefully this is just the start of it for them and for us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

astradave wrote: »
    Also how hard would you say it was for these fecker to write this :pac:

Oh god, he must have been crying as he wrote that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

GSPfan wrote: »
    I can see the logic in why you'd be ok with selling those players but do you really think Jose will gt rid of 4 to 6 players with the need to bring in 3 or 4 already. That means 8 to 10 new players coming in. That would be impossible to do in one summer.

There are a number of players that just aren't good enough - so there are players we can sell or move on, imo.

Romero, Rojo for starters. I could see Jones being moved on, his availablity record for United is SHOCKING.

Carrick/Schweinsteiger could be be gone, one or the other, depends on Jose/contract offers. McNair, Januzaj, Wilson, Keane could be out the door.

Young and Fellaini are two I would keep, good squad options - versatile options.

Smalling and new CB as first choice, Fosu-Mensah and Blind as the backups. CBJ as backup to Shaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

beno619 wrote: »
    The criticism of him yesterday was remarkable, fickle football fans comes to mind.

While it wasn't his best game people calling for him to be sold was mental.
    That's a feature of Man Utd fans, if not fans in general. He's been the best CB in he country this season, and people still want him gone because they had their minds made up on him and refuse to change them. We had the same in DDG's 2nd and 3rd season, while he was playing better than any GK in the world not named Neuer or Courtois, yet Man Utd fans were still rubbishing him and saying how much better it would be if we had [other keeper] instead. The same again for Cristiano Ronaldo, can't remember how many people I came across who wanted him sold so we could get "a real quality winger... like Joaquin or Reyes" and Rio Ferdinand, who many Man Utd fans continued to try to not recognise the sheer class of, even as he was organising the best defense in Europe and possibly the history of the club (during the clubs most successful spell).

I'm also assuming there would be a large crossover between those fans and the ones crying 'traitor' the loudest when Ronaldo wanted out or DDG appeared to be flirting with the idea last year.

It's an interesting one, because on the flip side Liverpool fans have a tendency to overrate their players in reverse, while Arsenal fans (though less so in recent years) do the same with their youth players.

Headshot wrote: »
    tbf that doesnt say alot about our CM options. Its been an awful season for them.

But lets face the truth here, fell shouldn't be getting into a 1st team of any top team that see's itself challenging for the league or the CL. He's a very limited player

There's also an argument to say is he even worth a squad player? I dont know myself.

I'm not a fan of the lad - and him being a key player in the side points to problems in the side, imo. But, I would certainly keep him as a squad option. There is room for him in the squad, imo, and I do think he is a player that has proven himself useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm really interested to see how Schneiderlin does under a new manager.

Besides Memphis he's been the most disappointing signing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Why are people calling for Romero to be sold..
    He's done no wrong in the games he's played
    He's a capable back up
    What happens if big Dave gets injured we'd be looking at Sam Johnstone who's never played at senior level for United??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It was only last season that Mourinho put Zouma in CM in order to deal with Fellaini in a home league game.

You can be sure Mourinho respects his qualities. It's a real asset having a midfielder that's both tidy on the ball and a physical beast. I would trust Mourinho to get the best out of him on a regular basis.

brinty wrote: »
    Why are people calling for Romero to be sold..
    He's done no wrong in the games he's played
    He's a capable back up
    What happens if big Dave gets injured we'd be looking at Sam Johnstone who's never played at senior level for United??

I'd love to see Johnstone as backup - was a more highly rated keeper than Butland through underage - up til a few seasons ago when Butland got regular first team football. From watching him for the reservces/youths, I'm a big fan of Sam Johnstone.

Either he will be second choice going into next season or he is gone, imo. He was looking to leave last season but DDG convinced him to stay, apparently.

• FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think he will be a starter under Mourinho.

Bangkok in meltdown mode

I'd like to see something along these lines next season for our first choice everyone is fit 11.... going with the idea that JM has favoured 4-3-3...

DDG
    Darmian
    Smalling
    NEW SIGNING
    Shaw

Blind
    Rooney
    NEW SIGNING

Martial
    NEW SIGNING
    NEW SIGNING

Rashford could easily hold his own here for a place up front but I'd love the idea of a front 3 say of Griezmann, Ibra and Martial.... thats mouthwatering right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd be very confident that we will get top 4 next season should Jose take charge, so much so I'd be willing to put money on it.

Would you take a gentlemans bet, say €50 to a charity of your own choosing that United will finish outside the top 4 if Jose takes over?

I should look for odds as Utd + spending spree + Mourinho will probably be favourites for top four but go on sure - it's for charity. Booked.
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    As much as Liverpool fans about Rodgers and how he was tactical messiah, all those triangles posted in Liverpool thread? :pac:

I was notably the most bearish Liverpool thread regular when it pertained to Rodgers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think he will be a starter under Mourinho.

Mourinho is a world class manager, fellaini is an average player, mourinho will def be looking to upgrade. I think he will be lucky to be there next season

There are a number of players that just aren't good enough - so there are players we can sell or move on, imo.

Romero, Rojo for starters. I could see Jones being moved on, his availablity record for United is SHOCKING.

Carrick/Schweinsteiger could be be gone, one or the other, depends on Jose/contract offers. McNair, Januzaj, Wilson, Keane could be out the door.

Young and Fellaini are two I would keep, good squad options - versatile options.

Smalling and new CB as first choice, Fosu-Mensah and Blind as the backups. CBJ as backup to Shaw.

Yeah but there are 9 names there you could see being let go but if we even lost half of them (4) then we would be in need of around 8 players this Summer. I just cannot see that happening at all. We struggle to buy players every transfer window. We can buy average players for inflated fees no problem but none of them will really improve us if that is the point.
    We'd be lucky to buy 4 world class players to improve the squad in my opinion. And who knows how many of them would settle in and do well.

All i'm saying is that I agree that all the players above could be moved on but Its unrealistic to think it will be done this Summer without leaving the squad in ruins. We are horrific at closing out transfers. It will be another deadline day scramble this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I don't see why everyone presumes Smalling + Another will be the CB pairing next season. Especially when people are throwing around the names of young, inexperienced partners for Smalling who if anything needs an experienced player beside him to do his thinking for him. Blind and Smalling have been extremely solid as a pairing, so I don't see it as an area that is a priority for the summer.

Striker and right winger required - could easily spend 150 million on those two positions alone. The team needs a central midfielder to replace Carrick, so that could push the spending up to 200. Obviously the figures will vary depending on if the club goes to the top shelf for proven quality or does a little more digging in the smaller clubs/leagues for some (hopefully) undervalued players. I am not reassured that Mendes would have any influence within the club when it comes to transfer strategy.

Goes without saying nobody exits, bar maybe Carrick. I don't think the squad LVG is handing over is all that bad. 3-4 of the right players and the team can challenge for the title next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Love this from Michael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

bangkok wrote: »
    Mourinho is a world class manager, fellaini is an average player, mourinho will def be looking to upgrade. I think he will be lucky to be there next season

Mikel.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

bangkok wrote: »

Mourinho used to play Pepe in midfield at Real Madrid. I certainly don't think Fellaini will be the first player he'd want to offload. He's exactly the kind of player Mourinho would want against the likes of Arsenal - physical, rough, provocative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I can see feck all players sold this summer tbh

We will have a busy schedule and injuries this year ravaged the squad we need new signings and upgrades on what we have in certain areas imo.

Degea staying is crucial. It is lucky its jose coming in im sure he can tempt big dave to stick around for the revolution.

Im just looking forward to seeing our team allowed to express themselves.

Its hard to feel sorry for louis but he set himself up for a fall imo. But still an fa cup is fantastic so thank you lvg and best of luck in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Mourinho used to play Pepe in midfield at Real Madrid. I certainly don't think Fellaini will be the first player he'd want to offload. He's exactly the kind of player Mourinho would want against the likes of Arsenal - physical, rough, provocative.

Good point. If I recall correctly, he was also prone to throwing Robert Huth up front during his first stint at Chelsea when in need of a goal. Again, Fellaini would also fit that mould.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

RobertKK wrote: »
    He always keeps a lid on things.

No, that was Giggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Good point. If I recall correctly, he was also prone to throwing Robert Huth up front during his first stint at Chelsea when in need of a goal. Again, Fellaini would also fit that mould.

Actually Huth wouldn't be a bad signing at all.
    Without Champions League though, it might be hard to entice him

• Advertisement

There is this weird thing in peoples heads that no team can compete for the major trophies unless every squad player is a €50 million player. You need a cohesive team unit playing effective football and a few star players sprinkled in to win matches.

Leicester are the most recent example.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I think a CB is a good chance to add height to the team. I'm not too sure if many people would agree with me but I think shawcross would really compliment darmian, smalling and shaw. He'd hardly cost a fortune either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

hogandrew wrote: »
    I think a CB is a good chance to add height to the team. I'm not too sure if many people would agree with me but I think shawcross would really compliment darmian, smalling and shaw. He'd hardly cost a fortune either

If he was in the form of about 2 years back i'd be inclined to agree but injuries and form lately i couldn't touch him. What about someone like Howedes or Bonucci, physically imposing,excellent defenders and plenty of experience. Talk of Bonucci going to Chelsea which would be a huge boost for them but no harm making a play. :confused:

What about Ashley Williams?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

A wise old headed center back would be nice but who could we get, possible in the age between 27 and 30.

I can only think of 1 or 2 that we would have a chance of signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Huth? Ashley Williams? I think you are setting your sights a bit low there.

hogandrew wrote: »

Very surprised a better side haven't snapped up Shawcross, an excellent defender. Great attitude too. He would be a good option to have alright, however I'd prefer we got in the likes of Laporte or Varane in particular to play with Mike, ship out Jones and have Shawcross as a backup wouldn't be the worst idea.

Ashley Williams is 31 or 32,wouldn't be going for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mikel.

He is a defensive midfielder, I though fellaini played a more attacking role...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jamie Jackson

José Mourinho has identified André Gomes, João Mário, John Stones, Álvaro Morata, Mauro Icardi and Ezequiel Garay as summer targets for Manchester United as part of an anticipated minimum £150m spend.
    United have also made inquiries to Juventus about Morata’s team-mates Alex Sandro, a left-back, and Paul Pogba, the former United midfielder. However the club was quoted £116m (€150m) for each, a price designed to end United’s interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/22/jose-mourinho-targets-john-stones-150-million-manchester-united?CMP=share_btn_tw

Hope the Stones talk is pure waffle. He's no good.

Ashley Williams is 31 or 32,wouldn't be going for him.

I think Jose will be going back in for Stones. I don't think Everton can be looking for what they turned down from Chelsea. Stones still has loads of potential and a partnership with Smalling could be great. Then maybe another experienced centre half as cover. Daley Blinds days at centre half are over that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

GSPfan wrote: »

We're not in the CL, so we don't need a big squad. Let the EL group stages to likes of the younger players (Rashford, Lingard, TFM, CBJ etc) and just build a team for the PL.

Would not write off Stones just yet... he showed enough early potential to be given another year under the microscope although i'm not convinced he is the player for us right now though. Had a poor second half to the season but so did the whole Everton side really and he had some injuries also..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jamie Jackson

José Mourinho has identified André Gomes, João Mário, John Stones, Álvaro Morata, Mauro Icardi and Ezequiel Garay as summer targets for Manchester United as part of an anticipated minimum £150m spend.
    United have also made inquiries to Juventus about Morata’s team-mates Alex Sandro, a left-back, and Paul Pogba, the former United midfielder. However the club was quoted £116m (€150m) for each, a price designed to end United’s interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/22/jose-mourinho-targets-john-stones-150-million-manchester-united?CMP=share_btn_tw

Jackson is really out of the loop these days.. looks like he just went onto mendes client list and copied and pasted

Also the Mirror is going for:

Marquinhos,Stones,Aubameyang, Zlatan, James

• Advertisement

Based on the last few months? He's had a rough time in an Everton side not really playing for their manager. He still has massive potential and a club like United would bring out the best in him. He's still only 21 years old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lets buy all the players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Could ronaldo be mourinho's marquee signing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I would be delighted with Varane. Would accept Stones but he will be vastly overpriced. Not sure on Laporte - apparently he has unreal potential but I've never seen him play but is recovering from a bad injury.

Could see us signing Ibra/Higuain and James.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Evras contract is up wonder would he come home again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement