Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,661 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I really hope they don't go for Ibrahimovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Could ronaldo be mourinho's marquee signing?

Only if he was to play striker. Dont want to see Martials development get put on hold.

This is of course if Martial aas to remain as a left winger where i think he fits best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I'm being harsh saying Stones is no good but he is massively overrated. This season he's been bad but last season i didn't get the fawning over him either, he's neat on the ball and athletic but doesn't look like a very good defender to me any time i've watched him and i think any side that pays anything more than 20 million for him should have a long hard look at themselves and that's including the he's English and young hype add-on fee of a few million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mohamed Bouhafsi, the man who got the scoop on both Angel di Maria’s and Anthony Martial’s moves to Old Trafford has spoken. He has claimed that Jose Mourinho has already been in contact with multiple players in an effort to try and get them to move to the club this summer.

http://oldtraffordfaithful.com/mourinho-has-already-contacted-multiple-players-and-asked-them-to-join-man-utd/

So the reports of Jose having a dossier etc. weren't far off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Been hoping in and out of social media and news today, has Jose been confirmed yet? Or is it the case as done deal in all but statement from the club?

Bit of a bittersweet appointment for me, no doubt hes a top manager and arguably the best available at the moment but at the same times there are a lot of things about him I'm not found of. Hopefully he will do well with us however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I like the mirrors list more

Smegball wrote: »
    I would be delighted with Varane. Would accept Stones but he will be vastly overpriced. Not sure on Laporte - apparently he has unreal potential but I've never seen him play but is recovering from a bad injury.

Could see us signing Ibra/Higuain and James.

I think any side in the world would be but it will not be happening. He's with Madrid for life.

Spot the United top in Benzema's instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFtei2nl3WF/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Only if he was to play striker. Dont want to see Martials development get put on hold.

This is of course if Martial aas to remain as a left winger where i think he fits best

Martial should play as a striker. Don't know why LVG insisted on keeping him out there.

Hope that's as close as Benzema gets to a Utd crest. Overrated and more hassle than he's worth. Don't get me wrong he's a good striker but i wouldn't categorise him as top drawer and for the baggage he carries you'd want to be getting someone top drawer.

• Advertisement

Hope that's as close as Benzema gets to a Utd crest. Overrated and more hassle than he's worth. Don't get me wrong he's a good striker but i wouldn't categorise him as top drawer and for the baggage he carries you'd want to be getting someone top drawer.

Who is top drawer?

Hard working,a team player and scores goals.I'd love him at United.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I've no idea what's going to happen next, in a good way. Worst case scenario is Jose is the worst version of the charicature his haters like to portray him as, which would still mean winning the league and pissing off our rivals. :)

I'm hopeful, maybe naively, that this is the job he's been waiting for to build a lasting legacy for himself and he's going to do it right.

We'll see what happens but I'm delighted going into the summer now and really looking forward to next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Kinda agree with you.

He's a nasty piece of work after Valbuena fiasco

Martial should play as a striker. Don't know why LVG insisted on keeping him out there.

Never understand this argument. Martial has for his entire career been predominately played out wide. Hes played over half of his career there. The only season where he has played more than 10 league games upfront was his final season with Monaco, and even that season he had more appearances in the wide role.

It makes perfectly good sense that LVG stuck with his pace and skill in the wide role and Rashford up front.

Who is top drawer?

Aguero,Suarez, Lewandowski. That's ignoring the like of Ronaldo,Messi, Neymar etc that are forward thinking players.
    I'd take Higuain above him any day of the week if we could get him.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Never understand this argument. Martial has for his entire career been predominately played out wide. Hes played over half of his career there. The only season where he has played more than 10 league games upfront was his final season with Monaco, and even that season he had more appearances in the wide role.

It makes perfectly good sense that LVG stuck with his pace and skill in the wide role and Rashford up front.

He has all the attributes that a main striker should have. He should be developed there.

Aguero,Suarez, Lewandowski. That's ignoring the like of Ronaldo,Messi, Neymar etc that are forward thinking players.
    I'd take Higuain above him any day of the week if we could get him.

Won't get Suarez, aguero or messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

There's no way we will be signing 4-5 players without 1 or 2 players leaving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I think people will be disappointed by Jose's first season.

He didn't make many signings on his return to Chelsea and used the season to assess the players already there.

I'd be shocked if we signed a forward and the Rooney situation will be interesting as I don't think Jose is stupid enough to play him CM.

He has all the attributes that a main striker should have. He should be developed there.

To be honest, he has the abilities that can be attributed to a striker or a winger, pace, close control, and a good finish. And while he would also does a good role upfront he offers a great option out wide with his ability to run by players suck out defenders and drive good passes into the box to create chances.

There is no wonder to why he has been developed as a winger. He suits there. Yes he can do a good job up front and can play there, but honestly he's been playing as a winger all his career and normally only moved up front when it's needed through injuries etc.

He has all the attributes that a main striker should have.

A main striker doesn't necessarily have to be someone that plays in straight lines up and down the middle of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »
    Spot the United top in Benzema's instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFtei2nl3WF/

You really need to start checking back a page or two.. :D

To be honest, he has the abilities that can be attributed to a striker or a winger, pace, close control, and a good finish. And while he would also does a good role upfront he offers a great option out wide with his ability to run by players suck out defenders and drive good passes into the box to create chances.

There is no wonder to why he has been developed as a winger. He suits there. Yes he can do a good job up front and can play there, but honestly he's been playing as a winger all his career and normally only moved up front when it's needed through injuries etc.

It will be a wasted opportunity. And considering how few great strikers there are, this is a definite option.

It made sense because we didn't have another fit or in-form option there most of the season. If Memphis had lived up to expectations what was the plan for Martial then?

Martial is doing a good job on the wing but I hope he'll be moved more centrally in future. He's too big to be an out and out winger once he fully develops.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Hard working,a team player and scores goals.I'd love him at United.

Can be very lazy at times,don't know how much you watch of him if you think he's a hard worker every game.
    The blackmail controversy, the reporting of shagging underage prostitutes isn't anything that'd show the club under a great light either and i can't see too many lads looking forward to welcoming a player that's blackmailed a teammate.

A main striker doesn't necessarily have to be someone that plays in straight lines up and down the middle of the pitch.

If you are referring to the likes of Ronaldo or messi, fair enough. He'll be good but not that good :)

If you are referring to the likes of Ronaldo or messi, fair enough. He'll be good but not that good :)

Not necessarily but I don't think his not playing through the centre has to be a misuse of his abilities bit I do think it has to be framed in the context of his partners up front and the dynamic between them.

beno619 wrote: »
    I think people will be disappointed by Jose's first season.

He didn't make many signings on his return to Chelsea and used the season to assess the players already there.

I'd be shocked if we signed a forward and the Rooney situation will be interesting as I don't think Jose is stupid enough to play him CM.

I would be shocked if we don't sign at least 1 striker.. Possibly 2 and maybe 2 for free, ibrahimovic and dembele

Also on a quick search he spent 100m first season back with them

bangkok wrote: »
    I would be shocked if we don't sign at least 1 striker.. Possibly 2 and maybe 2 for free, ibrahimovic and dembele

Ibrahimovic would be an absolute disaster for the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Mourinho is a world class manager, fellaini is an average player, mourinho will def be looking to upgrade. I think he will be lucky to be there next season
    Mikel.
    He is a defensive midfielder, I though fellaini played a more attacking role...

2778412-1682487996-85217.jpg

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

People mentioning Mikel need to have a word with themselves. The last thing we need is another squad player!

Ibrahimovic would be an absolute disaster for the club

How?

Not many experienced strikers of his quality will come without CL games on offer. Take the best you can get for a season anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Looks like the end of LVG at UTD, just awaiting the official announcement. I was always against sacking any manager mid season and even though LVG didn't get us fourth I still think it was the proper way for the club to act.

LVG didn't even get to enjoy the cup win yday without getting hounded with Jose questions. Those rumors have been around since decemeber, I can't remember a manager getting asked about his job as much as LVG, very poor from the media.

As for those fans saying the way UTD handled this was disgraceful and classess, just no. UTD have let LVG finish out the season without once making a statement on his future, even as of now we haven't heard an offical report. That was right. Look at City and how they announced it mid-season and the drop off in the players. They totally underminded and disrespected Pelligrini imo. LVG was allowed to keep his authority over the players bynot having his future decided mid season.

LVG's speel wasn't what we all hoped for, the football has not been electrifying and he's made some transfer blunders and reducing the size of the squad so much was his biggest downfall.

With regards Zlatan i think he's another that would be too big a risk,i think the likelihood of him causing discontent among the squad is a lot higher than the likelihood of him having a really good season.
    Don't think we shuld be going for anyone over 30, a very general comment i know but we need players that will hep us progress for 3-4 years at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

15s4ep3.jpg

Happy birthday to this legend.

2778412-1682487996-85217.jpg

Mikel is a defensive midfielder fellaini is not

Korat wrote: »
    How?

Not many experienced strikers of his quality will come without CL games on offer. Take the best you can get for a season anyway.

It's very short term. You set the team up around him and then start all over again a year later?

How?

You'd have to ask yourself why is he signing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Interesting to see the Independent and the BBC come out with two completely contradictory stories on LVG being told or not told about the decision to replace him.

The BBC say he was not away and in fact still had not heard officially from the club but the independent say he was made aware on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I really really hope ye don't sign Zlatan. He would be absolutely unreal in the EPL

Mikel is a defensive midfielder fellaini is not

Mikel is an average player, thats what is being replied to, not his position, ffs.

I'll throw Ivanovich at full back in there too, average player but one of the first names onto Mourinho's team sheet because he trust him to do the job that he sets out for him!

On a positive note regarding LVG.........

He has a point when he said we were first in the table before we were absolutley ravaged by injuries in Novemeber. Who knows what might of been but I'm sure we would have at least gotten fourth.

I'll have fond memories of his press conferences and the scolding of reporters. His wild statements will live long in the memory, who could forget "the fans are horny" and whe nasked about all that possesion for a late one goal win "its the build up that is pleasurable just like in sex, you don't want to finish too early" and the fantstic reply to the Fellaini hair pulling incident when he basically said the only time its acceptable to pull hair is when ur shagging pacman.gif His drunken rant at the players awards ceremony and slapping Giggs was pure gold too.

He managed to maitain a lot of diginity through the specualtion even telling the media to "enjoy the wine and a mince pie".

The rare touchline antics were worth the wait and LVG is know for always leaving the youth system stronger then when at every club he's managed. We have a lot there to be thankfull for. Rashford, CBJ, Varela and Fosu-Mensah all look they have bright futures ahead. Plus Martial looks like a world class player in the making, think of the flack LVG got for paying 60m for him in the summer, it was a great call and it could be seen as a bargin in years to come.

If this is the end for LVG I'll really miss his personality. He was one of the funnest personalities in the EPL in a long long time

lvg_dive_new_3584828b.jpg

vangaal_3584914b.jpg

CElXYpNW0AIIIdO.jpg

astradave wrote: »
    Mikel is an average player, thats what is being replied to, not his position, ffs.

I'll throw Ivanovich at full back in there too, average player but one of the first names onto Mourinho's team sheet because he trust him to do the job that he sets out for him!

Ivanovich has only been poor the last two seasons. He used to be really special.

It will be a wasted opportunity. And considering how few great strikers there are, this is a definite option.

I still stand by my opinion that LVG playing Martial on the wing made sense. Thats what the original discussion was about. Yes he could end up being a great striker, he could also end up being a great winger, or even a bit of both, but we wont really know that until years to come.

It just doesn't make sense however the people saying they don't understand why LVG played him out on the wing. He's played there most of his career and we needed a winger. Seems straight forward to me.
    It made sense because we didn't have another fit or in-form option there most of the season. If Memphis had lived up to expectations what was the plan for Martial then?

Martial is doing a good job on the wing but I hope he'll be moved more centrally in future. He's too big to be an out and out winger once he fully develops.

I reckon LVG had originally planned to have Memphis and Martial on the wings with Rooney up top, didn't he use that lineup at the beginning of the season? The plan aside as that is all speculation from us, as I have said before I imagine the selection of Martial on the wing for most of the season not only made sense because of options but because...you guessed it, he has played the majority of his career there :P.

Still think he can play either position if he is asked to and does a good job. On the height thing he's under 6 foot, off the top of my head Schurrle, Draxler and Muller (all germans I know :P) are all significantly taller and have done pretty well on the wing.

I'm not saying Martial can't or wont be turned into a top striker. Yes he could be. But what I cannot wrap my head around is why so many people are so opposed to the idea of Martial playing on the wing, even though he does a brilliant job there and has played there most of the time.

There's one simple reason I will always have a place in my heart for LVG:

LOU-IE VAN GAAL'S ARMY!
    LOU-IE VAN GAAL'S ARMY!

Ivanovich has only been poor the last two seasons. He used to be really special.

I dont agree, he was never an above average Full back for me, he was shoehorned in there because Jose trusts him within his defensive unit. He was a very poor attacker which, imo, is needed to be deemed a good fullback. Fullbacks need to be able to attack and defend. Ivanovich was always more settled in the middle

astradave wrote: »

But he is a defensive midfielder and does the job asked of him. Fellaini is meant to score goals for us from midfield. 1 goal in the premier league all season says it all really and he even played some games up front

There's one simple reason I will always have a place in my heart for LVG:

LOU-IE VAN GAAL'S ARMY!
    LOU-IE VAN GAAL'S ARMY!

"SEX MASOCHISM"

I'll really miss his personality, one of a kind in that regard.

• Advertisement

But he is a defensive midfielder and does the job asked of him. Fellaini is meant to score goals for us from midfield. 1 goal in the premier league all season says it all really

How are you still not getting this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement