Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

astradave wrote: »
    I dont agree, he was never an above average Full back for me, he was shoehorned in there because Jose trusts him within his defensive unit. He was a very poor attacker which, imo, is needed to be deemed a good fullback. Fullbacks need to be able to attack and defend. Ivanovich was always more settled in the middle

Don't have exact stats but he definitely knocked in 5 or 6 goals every season before the last two, not to mention all the assists. How many would you expect him to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

How are you still not getting this

Give it Time the penny will eventually drop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

sigmundv wrote: »
    People mentioning Mikel need to have a word with themselves. The last thing we need is another squad player!

I feel like you should read the interaction again.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

bangkok wrote: »
    Mikel is a defensive midfielder fellaini is not

Yes, I understand where you are currently positioning your goalposts.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Delighted to finally win the FA cup again, **** that 4th place crap the FA cup is still a special trophy and one of the showpieces of the game. In years to come a strike like Lingards to win the cup final will be remembered far longer and with far more pleasure than some list showing that United finished in position X and qualified for tournament Y the following season.

On the other news, also delighted to hear that Van Gaal finally appears to be gone. I didn't think it would happen but if it does I would be quietly confident that Mourinho can demonstrate easily enough that a club of our size and resources should never be scratching about in 5th/6th place. He will have us a top 3 side at minimum, and if things click a title challenge will definitely be on the cards.

But...come on of course the way it has happened is worryingly classless. We could and should have sacked him at any point in the last 6 months, or we could have waited until next week, the seasons over and nothing would have been affected. Of all the days between last December and next July that this news could have come out the worst possible day for it to happen was the day of the FA cup final. Seriously, you could not pick a worse day in terms of club image for that news to break in the way it did, yet thats exactly what happened.

Who leaked it doesn't really matter, the club should be anticipating these things and acting proactively. I kinda feel like shaking Woodward while shouting "You had one job to do". Sack him 2/3/4/5 months ago and we don't look bad, sack him in 2 weeks time and we don't look bad, but the way it has happened? We look bad.

Regardless, the main thing is that it seems to be done, and of course it did need to be done. Good riddance Van Gaal.

• Advertisement

How are you still not getting this

He does get it, allow me to introduce bangkok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Bring Jon Obi home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

http://gu.com/p/4jf9z

Interesting read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Delighted to finally win the FA cup again, **** that 4th place crap the FA cup is still a special trophy and one of the showpieces of the game. In years to come a strike like Lingards to win the cup final will be remembered far longer and with far more pleasure than some list showing that United finished in position X and qualified for tournament Y the following season.

On the other news, also delighted to hear that Van Gaal finally appears to be gone. I didn't think it would happen but if it does I would be quietly confident that Mourinho can demonstrate easily enough that a club of our size and resources should never be scratching about in 5th/6th place. He will have us a top 3 side at minimum, and if things click a title challenge will definitely be on the cards.

But...come on of course the way it has happened is worryingly classless. We could and should have sacked him at any point in the last 6 months, or we could have waited until next week, the seasons over and nothing would have been affected. Of all the days between last December and next July that this news could have come out the worst possible day for it to happen was the day of the FA cup final. Seriously, you could not pick a worse day in terms of club image for that news to break in the way it did, yet thats exactly what happened.

Who leaked it doesn't really matter, the club should be anticipating these things and acting proactively. I kinda feel like shaking Woodward while shouting "You had one job to do". Sack him 2/3/4/5 months ago and we don't look bad, sack him in 2 weeks time and we don't look bad, but the way it has happened? We look bad.

Regardless, the main thing is that it seems to be done, and of course it did need to be done. Good riddance Van Gaal.

Needs to step down or shag off too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He does get it, allow me to introduce bangkok.

No I don't, you were the one to bring mikel into the discussion for what reason i don't know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'll be honest, I don't care about the "classlessness" or whatever else. Maybe it's cause I so desperately wanted Jose, maybe its cause I was terrified that the Cup would have saved him his job. But whatever it was, when I read the BBC article, I nearly felt happier than when Lingard scored the rocket.

The man was on borrowed time for months, and I wanted him gone asap. The fact I got the instant relief after the cup win made the night so, so much sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

thomasj wrote: »

Interesting read.

So an explanation given for what made Rooney rather slow and silly in front of goal:
    One of Van Gaal’s more bemusing instructions was for his strikers not to shoot first-time from balls coming across the penalty area. Instead they were under orders to take a touch in front of goal, even if the relevant players felt confident enough to go for goal straight away. One example goes back to the opening day of the season when Tottenham Hotspur were the opposition and Antonio Valencia sent in a low cross from the right to pick out Rooney, unmarked, in the middle of the penalty area. It seemed like a relatively straightforward finish but Rooney took an extra touch because that was what Van Gaal had drummed into his players. Kyle Walker made a saving tackle only to turn the ball into his own net and Rooney looked almost sheepish as he headed back to the centre circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

It was inevitable that Jose was taking over this summer.

Just like its inevitable that it will come out that LVG will be retiring and not getting sacked.

It will go down in the history books that he retired as United Manager, And The Media will be pissed that they cant splash " SACKED " on the back pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

the reporting of shagging underage prostitutes isn't anything that'd show the club under a great light either and i can't see too many lads looking forward to welcoming a player that's blackmailed a teammate.

He pot kettle black
    Our current assistant shagged his brothers wife for eight years
    Our captain has been shagging granny prostitutes since he hit puberty
    Our captain held out club to ransom twice to get better deals...
    People in glass house

No I don't, you were the one to bring mikel into the discussion for what reason i don't know

Possibly in response to your assertion that world class manager Jose will find no place for bang average Fellaini.

What do you think? I don't mind if you want to carry on the pretence of course but it could not have been more obvious, nor could I have clarified it any further with the multi quote post. At this point there is no plausible way for you to claim the usual ignorance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Possibly in response to your assertion that world class manager Jose will find no place for bang average Fellaini.

What do you think? I don't mind if you want to carry on the pretence of course but it could not have been more obvious, nor could I have clarified it any further with the multi quote post. At this point there is no plausible way for you to claim the usual ignorance.

We will see come summer or next season what Jose does with him

The article writes itself, but I am telling you, Crerrand says it isn't happening. He saw Woodward hugging Louis in the dressing room after the win. Don't get fooled lads, its the hope that kills ya ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

To give an example of an average player who played a lot for Jose Mourinho. This was to counter your suggestion Fellaini's average skills wouldn't be tolerated by Mourinho.

It's that simple. It's ok to say "Oh right I get what you mean now, well that's not what I meant."

We will see come summer or next season what Jose does with him

IIRC he was going to try take him to Chelsea, and considering his past and love of a combative player I am surprised you feel so strongly about him being desperate to move him on.

Fellaini smashing that girls back doors in has really left you with deep rooted, blinding, emotional damage hasn't it!

• Advertisement

The article writes itself, but I am telling you, Crerrand says it isn't happening. He saw Woodward hugging Louis in the dressing room after the win. Don't get fooled lads, its the hope that kills ya ;)

Have the club made a statement yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Did anybody actually hear Mendes say what is being reported (caus i haven't) or is it just some "journalist" making it up.

I cant believe it until i see him interviewed on MUTV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Did anybody actually hear Mendes say what is being reported (caus i haven't) or is it just some "journalist" making it up.

Sky were outright saying Mendes told them the news.

BBC wouldn't have reported it in the manner they did unless they had a source who was part of the deal.

The fact United made zero effort to fight the stories today either should be big proof.

It's happening lads.mexpect the sacking to come tomorrow and Jose on Tuesday. Wonder then when the first signing occurs? Ibra could be quick. Lukaku's father said he wanted a deal done before the Euros. Could see Andre Gomes quick enough, possibly.

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Have the club made a statement yet?

No, I think you can expect it early tomorrow though. Van Gaal leaving the hotel today saying "It's over" could mean a few things, but taken with everything else it seems reasonable to assume he means he has been told officially now he is gone and they are waiting till they can announce it publicly.

Rossi IRL wrote:

Mikel was interviewed on mutv
    Will people ever learn..
    On the pitch (dugout) is when I'll believe it ...

Fellaini smashing that girls back doors in has really left you with deep rooted, blinding, emotional damage hasn't it!

Oh you didn't just go there...
    Low blow...
    I'm sure she enjoyed it though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    It was inevitable that Jose was taking over this summer.

Just like its inevitable that it will come out that LVG will be retiring and not getting sacked.

It will go down in the history books that he retired as United Manager, And The Media will be pissed that they cant splash " SACKED " on the back pages.

Don't agree. He will be sacked. It will go down in the history books as a sacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Two thing you can be sure are happening at Utd this summer. Van Gaals exit and Mourhinos entrance.

United's main responsibility is now to its shareholders. One would assume a statement needs to be made before the stock exchange opens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

jpboard1 wrote:
    United's main allegiance is now to its shareholders. One would assume a statement needs to be made before the stock exchange opens?

Yeah the announcement of fergies retirement was made hours before the nyse opened, likewise Moyes sacking etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dunno if this was posted, but if not here's a Roy Keane tribute worth a look:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

What the team could do with another player in the mould of Roy Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Imo keane was manchester united... my hero. A leader of men and mice and an absolute tiger in midfield.

The greatest manchester united midfielder ever imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    What the team could do with another player in the mould of Roy Keane.

What a presence he was on the pitch. And all those great duels he had, especially with Arsenal. Great times.

It was posted, but it should be posted at least once a week anyway tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

It was posted, but it should be posted at least once a week anyway tbh!

Should be part of the first post of every new thread as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm only 28 but am like an old timer when it comes to Roy. Absolutely adore him. When Wilshere is shouting and acting the hard man, you'd wonder whether he'd be so brave if Keane was about.

How anyone rates BOD or Paul O'Connell ahead of him when it comes to Irelands's greatest ever sportsman is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Keane and POC are on a par imo.

We'll never have another like either of them in an Irish shirt again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

thomasj wrote: »

Interesting read.
    Except by that stage a lot of the players were so disillusioned many ignored the emails or redirected them straight to their trash. Van Gaal suspected as much and had a tracker fitted so he could check if the emails were opened and for how long. It became a game of cat and mouse. Some players opened the emails on their mobiles, then left their phones on the side and wandered off for 20 minutes.

Wow, what absolute total and utter horse-sh!t this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'm only 28 but am like an old timer when it comes to Roy. Absolutely adore him. When Wilshere is shouting and acting the hard man, you'd wonder whether he'd be so brave if Keane was about.

How anyone rates BOD or Paul O'Connell ahead of him when it comes to Irelands's greatest ever sportsman is beyond me.

I think an awful lot is made of Keane's leadership and his fighting qualities, mental toughness and desire to win and quite rightly so but that is the obvious. However I think what is often understated especially in the press since he retired are his attributes as a footballer. He was special in the fact that he had no weakness whatsoever, he could do everything at least very well or brilliantly depending on what we are talking about. He could pass (rarely did he give a ball away) could head, read a game like no other, a great finisher with an eye for goal which was only tempered in his latter years when he got forward less, we all know he could tackle and as regards fitness and box to box and corner flag to corner flag there were none better. The ultimate all round midfielder and leader in my view.... it's a shame some assessments of him are skewed a bit by the Saipan thing and the manner which he exited Old Trafford but whatever side of those debates you are on there should be no doubt at all of the above he was some footballer...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think Saipan may a fair bit to do with that as he'll always be disliked by a decent amount of people here because of that and in fairness holding Saipan against him when ranking Irelands greatest sportsman is perfectly reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

SSN hyping this up already.

"We are expecting news on Mourihno any minute"

Its 7am FFS, they'll still be saying the same line in 8 hours time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Sky are the hype masters. They'll no doubt play the same Mourinho report over and over throughout the day without anything new to add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Thats one thing that bugs me about people talking about keane is when they say "what he lacked for in ability he made up for in leadership" or he may not have has many skills but he wanted to win qnd had passion.. the man had no weakness he was the best of his generation with out doubt.

I absolutely loved keane as a footballer he was the best loved watching him play our rivals i cant say i agree or like some of the stuff he has said since he retired but thats life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Think the club have acted very poorly again in the manner in which VGs sacking is being managed. I know stock exchange rules come into it but news is obviously being leaked out from within since Saturday morning.

Don't like VG, will be delighted to see the back of him but he deserves better than how the last 48 hours have gone and if its true that he found out last Wednesday, 3 days before a cup final, its an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There is no issue with stock exchange rules - just like there wasn't when Moyes was sacked.

If it was related to firing a director or CEO, that would be different - but they can announce the sacking of LVG whenever they like. The only stock exchange issue is that they have to make the announcement as soon as it is done; they can't legally allow some to know before others in terms of allowing some to buy shares on non-public knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Id say the press have it all wrong again and lvg aint going anywhere.

Ssn are saying we have to announce itnto nyse first at one o clock.

If its happening it will happen today im sure. i cant see anyway they need to drag it out longer or why they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

There is no issue with stock exchange rules - just like there wasn't when Moyes was sacked.

If it was related to firing a director or CEO, that would be different - but they can announce the sacking of LVG whenever they like. The only stock exchange issue is that they have to make the announcement as soon as it is done; they can't legally allow some to know before others in terms of allowing some to buy shares on non-public knowledge.

Not sure that's entirely correct - VG is a significant member of the management team, his sacking will effect the share price so its not going to be something they can just throw out there on a Sunday lunchtime.

Regardless of whether they do need to or not I still think its been handled very poorly. Someone is feeding the press stories and you could see it in his eyes on Saturday evening that he'd been shocked by whats unfolded. No problem with sacking him but at least have a bit of decorum about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

brinty wrote: »
    He pot kettle black
    Our current assistant shagged his brothers wife for eight years
    Our captain has been shagging granny prostitutes since he hit puberty
    Our captain held out club to ransom twice to get better deals...
    People in glass house

Well none of this information was available prior to bringing any of them to the club was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

jayo26 wrote: »
    Id say the press have it all wrong again and lvg aint going anywhere.

Ha! I'll give you 1000/1 on that being the case. Actually, you can have 5000/1, just give me your money! :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement