Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

bangkok wrote:
    dont even try and claim fergie was near as bad as jose was. For weeks on end mourinho was getting digs in at wenger, even when they were playing matches in europe.

Kevin Keegan might have something to say about that.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

thomasj wrote: »

or Lafa.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

lol.

fergie said 1 thing about stewart pierce and leeds and Keegan lost the plot live on air.

no comparison between that and Mourinho/wenger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What you you raving on about?

United have been played by the mourinho camp. It's exactly the kind of messing that has kept charlton etc 'anti' mourinho so long. Now the door has been opened and they have started their messing before he's even in the seat.

What you you raving on about?

i think he means jorge mendes going to the press less than 3 hours after Utd won the cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

Do you remember the food fight at Highbury? That wasnt mourinhos fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Its going to be a very interesting few weeks. I do wonder if Giggs will decide to head off - if he does I would like to see him replaced by Neville. Clearly his time went poorly in Spain, but I do reckon he could still be a very good coach - some of the best coaches (by reputation) don't make amazing managers - Brian Kidd and Steve McLaren were very highly respected coaches who didn't make great managers (Shteve did well for himself though). Carlos Q would be another, imo. Rene Muelensteen was highly rated at United both before and after his failed Bronby stint.

Remembe reading in Nevilles autobiography that management didn't really appeal to him - but being assistant manager did (he may have said something too about a DoF role, can't remember). He pointed at Giggs as being a future manager at the time too.

• bangkok wrote: »
    i think he means jorge mendes going to the press less than 3 hours after Utd won the cup

Ok thanks,

Apologies to jpboard1

Do you remember the food fight at Highbury? That wasnt mourinhos fault?

"battle of the buffet" i think you mean, which was actually at old trafford.

that was nothing to do with the managers, there was a series of shocking tackles that the ref let Utd away with and then Rooney's blatant dive to win a peno

• Advertisement

Ok thanks,

Apologies to jpboard1

What I will say is currently there is absolutely no evidence to suggest there has been any agreement made if the leak is from Mendes only

Were Utd supposed to announce that Jose was taking over mid season ala City? Nope

Either United leaked, which I very much doubt and it would be very bad form or mourinho camp leaked which would mean nothing has changed in that camp. Either way it stinks. All we know for definite is, there has to be a statement well before the stock market opens.

It is still sad that there is so little celebration of the FA Cup win due to all this managerial sh1t.

I wonder if it was decided and announced prior to Bornmouth would it have been different.

Wonder if Jessie Lingard is still on a massive high - scoring the winner (and a nice strike at that!) in the cup final for your boyhood club, thats proper football dream stuff.

• I blame Fellani for that food fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It is still sad that there is so little celebration of the FA Cup win due to all this managerial sh1t.

I wonder if it was decided and announced prior to Bornmouth would it have been different.

Wonder if Jessie Lingard is still on a massive high - scoring the winner (and a nice strike at that!) in the cup final for your boyhood club, thats proper football dream stuff.

I'd say he's still doing lines and yokes in some blacked out nightclub :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Mourinho is a <insert expletive here>, but he'll be our <insert expletive here>

Football is about entertainment, not just winning - which is why the English league ended up so popular, and not the more technically focused Italian league. The problem with United this year is not that they didn't play well, it's that they committed the mortal sin of being boring.

I expect Mourinho's term at United to be a roller-coaster ride and I'm looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I blame Fellani for that food fight for leaking the news of LVG leaving and Mourinho getting the job

FYP

MANAGERIAL NEWS!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/23/blackburn-approach-manchester-united-over-appointing-their-under/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Blackburn have approached United/Warren Joyce over their manager position.

Joyce has done wonders with the reserve/u21 side for years - would be a loss to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Why?

It's Utd, not Chelsea or some other 'life begins when Jose arrives club'. He's smart enough to know that and I reckon he'll choose carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

jayo26 wrote: »
    United havent done a thing wrong. Lvg is paid millions to be in the position he is in and more then likely be paid a fortune to leave too.

United have stayed quiet the whole time they didnt want to go down the route of city thats their choice.

Managers get sacked every season more then half the managers that start probably won't finish the season but when united do it its the end of the world.

The story breaking on the day of the club winning a trophy, leaked stories in the press about discontent from players. All very crass.

• Advertisement

MANAGERIAL NEWS!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/23/blackburn-approach-manchester-united-over-appointing-their-under/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Blackburn have approached United/Warren Joyce over their manager position.

Joyce has done wonders with the reserve/u21 side for years - would be a loss to the club.

If he does go, and all the power to him, then Giggs should replace him. If he ever wants to manage United, he needs to actually start somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

City have signed Gundogan apparently.
    James Ducker ‏@TelegraphDucker 2m2 minutes ago
    #MCFC fee for Gundogan likely to be £20.1m rising to £21.6m. Out until around Sept but Guardiola wanted him anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The story breaking on the day of the club winning a trophy, leaked stories in the press about discontent from players. All very crass.

Crass if they came from united but they didnt. Any of the big stories came from overseas and most were speculation.

Come on one of the best managers in the world get sacked and one of the biggest clubs in the world are doing poor i could of wrote most of the speculation that the press wrote it wasnt genius stuff.

Multiple sources reporting it that he is gone now..

Also
    https://twitter.com/richaskam/status/734682439147261952

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Yessssssssssssssssss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

BBC reporting that the Mail say van Gaal and coaching staff all sacked. Hasn't been confirmed though.

The club didn't plan the management leak, and didn't plan the stories in the press about the discontent. They possibly could/should have forced more control over affairs at such a time - but these weren't the club plans, it is not the clubs doing. It is still disappointing though.

hmmm wrote: »
    Mourinho is a <insert expletive here>, but he'll be our <insert expletive here>

Football is about entertainment, not just winning - which is why the English league ended up so popular, and not the more technically focused Italian league. The problem with United this year is not that they didn't play well, it's that they committed the mortal sin of being boring.

I expect Mourinho's term at United to be a roller-coaster ride and I'm looking forward to it.

Id prefer my entertainment on the pitch

jacool wrote: »
    BBC reporting that the Mail say van Gaal and coaching staff all sacked. Hasn't been confirmed though.

Sky reporting the same instead using multiple sources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sky sports alert sent out that LVG gone

• Advertisement

Men reported it too.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Men reported it too.

Women have too - don't be so sexist.

This is the most unproductive day ever :D

It's finally happening lads!!!! This is NOT a drill! I repeat this is NOT a drill!!! We're getting one of the best managers in the world and judging by the new postors in this thread, who haven't posted here since paddys day, people are sh*tting themselfs at the thought of the special one at the biggest club in England

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

P45 day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Looks like its going to be a busy summer....

I'm glad Van Gaal at least left with a trophy. I've no doubt he tried his utmost in achieving the clubs aims, and simply fell short. Perhaps his methods out of touch, perhaps the stint as international manager made it tough to slide back into club life. either or, a colossus figure in the game and one of the great coaches/managers of his generation, and probably any. Really disappointed it didn't work out for him. I'll miss his character and his general presence. Feel I could sit and watch him speak about football all day, unfortunately was rarely probed the press on actual football stuff.

While there is the initial judgement on his reign, it's possible like all his previous work at club level the fruits of his labour will truly be reaped by someone else, after he is gone. What I also felt was interesting, and was mentioned before, is how many people at the club were hugely impressed with his work behind the scenes, and foundations he has laid.

I guess we continue down this uncertain path in the post Ferguson era, into something that appears inevitably would have happened at some point, Mourinho managing United. It's going to be fascinating to witness, but I'd be lying if I said I don't have some serious reservations. Crazy how we backed ourselves into a corner that the options were literally keep Van Gaal, Giggs, or Mourinho. Mental stuff.

If he can truly change his character and his methods to adapt to the club, and if the board provide him the environment he had at Chelsea MK 1, then I can forsee an incredible return to dominance and the club also becoming a proper European force back in the Champions League.

but a big part of me, has an initial reaction that this will be a rollercoaster for two years, where we probably win some stuff, but Mourinho leaves having left scorched earth, a broken disjointed squad and another few years to find our feet after his departure. He really does need to change his methods if he wants, or we want, anything more then two years from Jose. The cult of Mourinho looks to only ever last for two years at most, before all those around him crumble from the intensity and basically just get sick of him.

James Ducker ‏@TelegraphDucker 23s24 seconds ago
    Paul Gilroy QC finalising Van Gaal's severance package now. £5m pay off. He got £400k for winning FA Cup. Expect an announcement lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

MrMac84 wrote: »
    It's finally happening lads!!!! This is NOT a drill! I repeat this is NOT a drill!!! We're getting one of the best managers in the world and judging by the new postors in this thread, who haven't posted here since paddys day, people are sh*tting themselfs at the thought of the special one at the biggest club in England

GUqFna1.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Surely the Kate GIFs will be busted out today LordTSC?

• Advertisement

The club didn't plan the management leak, and didn't plan the stories in the press about the discontent. They possibly could/should have forced more control over affairs at such a time - but these weren't the club plans, it is not the clubs doing. It is still disappointing though.

There is a part of me, a very small part, that would love Woodward to ring Mendes and tell him to go **** himself, Jose can go manage in Turkey or some **** hole.

While I appreciate there is a "game" to be played, and probably most people won't care either way, I take exception to what appears to the actions by Mendes in leaking all this stuff forcing an accelerated timetable. It's been rather embarrassing and shody how our last two managers have exited the club, along with some players, and for a club who preach themselves as one of the biggest in the world and there being a "United way"(myth) I'd like to think that extends past our style of football, and also covers how the club conducts itself in some matters.

Whatever about Van Gaal and his style and frustrations, he was given a task when he arrived to rebuild a garbage squad and get the club back in the champions league. I'm sure on reflection his time will be appreciated more then the immediate. The team and club was in the absolute doldrums after Moyes was fired, and Van Gaal has gone some ways to bring the faultering juggernaut back on track.

It's minor stuff that really we wont care about first game of next season, but as someone who always turned their nose and scoffed at the ridiculous behaviour of rival clubs when it came to firing and selling players, I've been left major disappointed in how the clubs executives have been dealing with some key issues.

I have one ready to be pasted in for when she is announced as our new mascot.

Don't ask, just do. :cool:

Just reading all the £exclusives" (funny how they all report the same specifics) about the inside workings of the Van Gaal regime and the problems players had. My initial reaction is it reflects TERRIBLY on the players themselves, even though this clearly looks like a leak to try justify his removal and the players under performance.

So as a key point, the players were such pussies to deal with constructive criticism in from of their peers, Van Gaal had to change his routine(and no mention about him making this adaptation) to e-mail players their instructions and points to improve, to not hurt their feelings?

For all the "What would Ferguson have done" stuff used as way to try be nostalgic, I'm pretty sure if players started getting their little feelings hurt when errors are being pointed out, and they couldn't take it, they would be shown the door. Could you imagine Ferguson e-mailing people? So Van Gaal has been somewhat modern, adapted to what I think is a ridiculous situation in the first place, and its being painted out as it being some sort of negative.

Good luck to this squad operating under Mourinho, by all accounts, WAY more meticulous then Van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

I am glad to see back of LVG.... .. ......but won't be celebrating the pending arrival of the "saviour" Mourinho . Hard to get excited about him.... :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

José Mourinho can mould an exciting, attacking Manchester United side -
    Michael Cox

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/may/22/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-old-trafford
    It is not difficult to assemble a Mourinho-style starting XI from United’s current squad, and it is a surprisingly exciting side – and that’s without considering the assortment of new signings he has been promised. His off-field approach will, as ever, court controversy. Tactically, however, Mourinho and United appear a perfect fit.

My F5 key is going to be knackered by the end of the day! What a great few days for United fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

TheDoc wrote: »
    Whatever about Van Gaal and his style and frustrations, he was given a task when he arrived to rebuild a garbage squad and get the club back in the champions league. I'm sure on reflection his time will be appreciated more then the immediate. The team and club was in the absolute doldrums after Moyes was fired, and Van Gaal has gone some ways to bring the faultering juggernaut back on track.

The squad isn't much better now than it was - player for player possibly worse, imo.

As for getting us back on track - scraped 4th last season and failed to get it this season despite City's best efforts to hand it to us - the Cup win is great, but not a measure of United moving forward, imo.

When I look back on his time, I will remember dull, cowardly football, poor results and failure - i don't see much to consider I will look back on favourably in the future.

• Advertisement

What a spoofer!
    Oliver Holt ‏@OllieHolt22 1m1 minute ago
    I'd rather have Giggs than Mourinho but it would take boldness to do that and the current United hierarchy don't have much of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement