Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Same people who were ridiculing us for Martial are now ridiculing us for missing out on Sanchez and the amounts reported are similar if you could believe it. We've some knobs as fans. I just want to get to the end of the season and see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

hmmm wrote: »
    Is a top upcoming Portuguese player really going to turn down a chance to play with the top Portuguese manager? That worries me.

Agree 100% with this. If Jose was coming Sanches is exactly the sort of player he'd want to bring in to shake things up. Instead it's going to be another season of LVG and Schweinsteiger/Schneiderlin etc :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Its just smart business from Bayern.

Pip is leaving so some of his signings could be either surplus to requirements or want to follow him.

Bayern are just putting a contingency in place.

Nothing wrong with that and certainly nothing wrong with the boy picking them over us, what player in their right mind would do the opposite.

They are favourites for the league every year and will progress to the latter stages of the CL.

We are one world class keeper away from scrambling around 9th or 10th, it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

hmmm wrote: »
    Is a top upcoming Portuguese player really going to turn down a chance to play with the top Portuguese manager?

To play at a top European team under a top Italian manager.

IMO, Ancelotti + Bayern is a greater draw for a player than Mourinho + United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Alternative theory is that Mourinho could have said he wants Matic instead.
    The same Matic who Jose brought on as a substitute and then a short while later substituted back off? http://www.espnfc.com/chelsea/story/2647026/jose-mourinho-nemanja-matic-not-humilated-by-chelsea-sub Really? :rolleyes:

I think you're grasping at straws there UI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

To play at a top European team under a top Italian manager.

IMO, Ancelotti + Bayern is a greater draw for a player than Mourinho + United.

depends on the player as well. Man Utd is a much bigger challenge to a player than going to Bayern. Every week the a premier league match is a battle, bayern will coast that league again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Di Marzio reporting that the Bayern deal was wrapped up in 2 days from their initial interest.

That's how to get business done,none of the bollixology of "registering interest,preparing a bid,sending representatives".Just make a bid and get a target signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Haven't posted here for most of the season, have been too ashamed of my username (over-excitement when we signed DiMaria and Falcao!)

Haven't been this nervous about a game since Fergie left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The same Matic who Jose brought on as a substitute and then a short while later substituted back off? http://www.espnfc.com/chelsea/story/2647026/jose-mourinho-nemanja-matic-not-humilated-by-chelsea-sub Really? :rolleyes:

I think you're grasping at straws there UI.

What has that got to do with anything? He took him off to bring on a striker when they were chasing a game? A weaker move would have been a refusal to make the change just to save Matic's feelings.
    "I am sorry, as we all are," Matic said at a ceremoney where he was named the best Serbian player in 2015. "I worked with Mr Mourinho for two wonderful years, so I will always have nice memories of the period.

"I read several times about how I have bad relationship with him. I'll be a bit blunt. People who wrote that are probably some idiots. Why did they pick me? I spoke about it with Mourinho and we just laughed at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think missing out on Sanches is the worst moment moment in the history on Manchester United.

Football's darkest day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

zerks wrote: »
    That's how to get business done,none of the bollixology of "registering interest,preparing a bid,sending representatives".Just make a bid and get a target signed.

If it's true that they only scouted him twice, and registered interest in only 2 days then spending €80 million is pretty reckless

With Martial Man United had done extensive scouting on him

Haven't posted here for most of the season, have been too ashamed of my username (over-excitement when we signed DiMaria and Falcao!)

Tell the truth,you have been busy preparing bids and drafting the contract termination of LVG.

bangkok wrote: »
    depends on the player as well. Man Utd is a much bigger challenge to a player than going to Bayern. Every week the a premier league match is a battle, bayern will coast that league again

I think a lot of players at a certain level would be looking at the CL as more important than the league.

Winning the league alone isn't good enough for Bayern at this point.

I can't imagine competing for the Premier League and not competing at Europe is more attractive than competing in the CL.

Unearthly wrote: »
    If it's true that they only scouted him twice, and registered interest in only 2 days then spending €80 million is pretty reckless

With Martial Man United had done extensive scouting on him

We did all the leg work.I'm not saying Sanches is a "must have" but it is annoying hearing of United scouts watching players multiple times then bang! They sign for somebody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

We did all the leg work.I'm not saying Sanches is a "must have" but it is annoying hearing of United scouts watching players multiple times then bang! They sign for somebody else.

I know what you mean but for that size of money he'd be too much of a risk to just take a punt on without doing proper due diligence on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Agree 100% with this. If Jose was coming Sanches is exactly the sort of player he'd want to bring in to shake things up. Instead it's going to be another season of LVG and Schweinsteiger/Schneiderlin etc :o

What are you basing that off exactly, if Jose was coming signing an 18 year old for up to €80m is almost exactly what he wouldn't do

The figure is €45 million including add-ons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Soo anyway Westham tonight ;) win win win win win win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

If we beat West Ham, I don't give a damn about Sanches. Secure Champions League then we can worry about transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Why?

Lost out on Shearer to Newcastle
    Lost out on Ronaldinho to Barca
    Lost out on Robben to Chelsea
    Lost out on Hazard to Chelsea
    Lost out on Fabregas to Chelsea
    Lost out on A Sanchez to Barca then Arsenal
    Lost out on Lucas Moura to PSG
    Lost out on Vidal to Bayern
    Lost out on Thiago Silva to Bayern
    Lost out on Marcello Salas to Lazio
    Patrick Kluvert told us NO and went to Barca(that was his loss because it was the year before we won the trible and we got in yorke instead)
    Left Robben and Sneijder leave real for a combined 40m on the same year we sold them Ronaldo, I dunno about you but those 2 and 40m for ronaldo would have been a good deal

Unearthly wrote: »
    I know what you mean but for that size of money he'd be too much of a risk to just take a punt on without doing proper due diligence on him

It's scary to think that Bayern have such a young,talented squad that they could dominate Europe for years to come,Pep has left them in good shape for Ancelotti.Maybe Sanches is a risk but look at us with Martial.
    I know it sounds like revisionism but Fergie knew he was retiring and got a title out of an aging team with a lot of deadwood.He should have been the one to leave a half decent young squad when he retired.Moyes was hammered for saying the team he inherited wasn't good enough but in hindsight he was right.
    At least when LVG goes there will be some damn good young players in the squad and a bit of tweaking will see United on a good course again.Pep will have his work cut out at City in comparison to whoever comes in as United's next manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Subscribe for a month and change your name. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

On the brightside maybe Bayern will let us have Xabi Alonso or a spare physio table. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Di Marzio: United opted not to go for Renato Sanches even though they were close

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/729979179643641856

I saw a few doubters when we were first linked at 40m 0r 60m. Too much to be paying for unproven potential. I guess now its meltdown time because we didn't get him anyway.

Save yourself the trouble lads, we don't even know who will be the manager next season as of now so no transfers can really move forward until that's decided.

Hummels lives in Munich with his family, he was always Bayern bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Subscribe for a month and change your name. :D

Yep cost me a fiver last time. Have been holding off out of tightness but this one is completely beyond redemption!

• Advertisement

Bayern are quite clever to be getting business done early mind, as this summer could potentially be a massive shoot transfer wise with so many in the premiership looking to spend and if you believe reports madrid want to re do the squad again. Going to see crazy prices this summer.

On to the match, im finding it hard to get excited or positive every time I expect us to have a high tempo high energy game we are let down.

I saw Bilic interviewed after the swansea game and he looked angry talked about players not doing thier jobs, you just know tonight with the place hopping they will be all up for it.

Guess i'll be hoping for the best behind the couch

• https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/729979179643641856

I saw a few doubters when we were first linked at 40m 0r 60m. Too much to be paying for unproven potential. I guess now its meltdown time because we didn't get him anyway.

Save yourself the trouble lads, we don't even know who will be the manager next season as of now so no transfers can really move forward until that's decided.

Hummels lives in Munich with his family, he was always Bayern bound.
    Agree

Pure **** from DiMarzio to be honest IMO

Unless an official bid was made then that is that. The meltdowns are humorous though.

Woody may head off to Leicester with £20 million for Kante.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yep cost me a fiver last time. Have been holding off out of tightness but this one is completely beyond redemption!

Teddy Sheringham is actually Edward Sherringham, so possibly 'Ed' Sherringham.

And who equalised vs Bayern in 99? Ed the Equalizer, thats who....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hope he has another 20 in his pocket he does :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't think anyone would get him for £20m.

They don't need to sell, just won the league and with the money from the TV rights this summer fees will be absolutely mental.

This summer could see your £10m average squad player going for £20m-£25m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The entire management structure at United is a disaster. It's very amateurish and old fashioned. There needs to be a proper Director of Football in place and not just the current system of Manager then Board. The business people in high positions at the club are not getting involved in the footballing activities and the senior statesmen of Ferguson and Charlton are too old school/traditional.

United have already missed out on a raft of managers because of this "Give a manager time" nonsense. Now they are missing out on players because nobody knows who the manager will be and they cannot sell the club to people.

United Superclub stature has ended. They cannot compete against the Big 3 and even struggle to compete for players against PSG, Chelsea and Man City, even though they are paying the players as much money. The Liverpool Decline comparisons are frightening.

you can bet that Bayern did the exact same leg work that we did, sent scouts to watch him multiple times as well and then signed him.

You dont just spend 50m on a player without doing extensive research

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would get him for £20m.

They don't need to sell, just won the league and with the money from the TV rights this summer fees will be absolutely mental.

This summer could see your £10m average squad player going for £20m-£25m.

It has been made public that there's a £20 million buyout clause in his contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Any word is Martial definitely isn't playing tonight? I heard he was a strong doubt but any chance of a surprise for West Ham?

• Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Any word is Martial definitely isn't playing tonight? I heard he was a strong doubt but any chance of a surprise for West Ham?

I have the latest update from LVG in the match thread.
    I have a feeling he won't be played.

zorro2566 wrote: »

What did Gill do exactly before he came to United? Ah yes, nothing to do with football, just like Woodward,

That's a ridiculous reason to say that's why Sanches went to Bayern and Collymore most likely only said it because he knows Woodwards under pressure already and wants to add to it for media purposes,

It has been made public that there's a £20 million buyout clause in his contract.

Suarez has a 40m buyout clause the year before he moved to Barca.

Arsenal bid £40m +£1 and the offer was refused even though they exceeded the buyout clause.

A buyout clause (as far as I'm aware) only allows you to open negotiations but you do not have to sell.

Saying that if anyone gets him for £20m it'll be a steal. I'd love to see him in a Liverpool shirt.

Arsenal bid £40m +£1 and the offer was refused even though they exceeded the buyout clause.

A buyout clause (as far as I'm aware) only allows you to open negotiations but you do not have to sell.

Saying that if anyone gets him for £20m it'll be a steal. I'd love to see him in a Liverpool shirt.

No once a buy out clause is activated the club have no say in what happens then, what Liverpool done with Suarez was illegal or there was some sort of loophole in his contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No - if Arsenal had pushed it they would have got it. Remember reading the Liverpool owner saying they didn't want to sell to arsenal so just tried rejecting it - no one took them to court over it so they held on. They basically bluffed it.

• Advertisement

Juan8 wrote: »
    What did Gill do exactly before he came to United? Ah yes, nothing to do with football, just like Woodward,

That's a ridiculous reason to say that's why Sanches went to Bayern and Collymore most likely only said it because he knows Woodwards under pressure already and wants to add to it for media purposes,

exactly, sure Perez is president of real Madrid, doesnt stop players signing for them,

Bartomeu is president of Barca

al khelaifi is top dog at PSG and is an ex tennis player

collymore just tweeted that to suit his own agenda

bangkok wrote: »
    exactly, sure Perez is president of real Madrid, doesnt stop players signing for them,

Bartomeu is president of Barca

al khelaifi is top dog at PSG and is an ex tennis player

collymore just tweeted that to suit his own agenda

Exactly

People can criticise Woodward all they want for not getting the Sanches deal done when it seems we've been working on it months, but don't take the bait from Stan Collymore of all people to try and make it seem worse,

Who's he to call anyone a type of "man" anyway the woman beater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Here's hoping that if mourinho does come in that there's some truth to United being interested in bringing berta in from athletico as director of football. Always admired how athletico in recent years always replace players adequately within the transfer market. About time we have someone competent to negotiate our dealings

No once a buy out clause is activated the club have no say in what happens then, what Liverpool done with Suarez was illegal or there was some sort of loophole in his contract

Really?

So say Martial had a £50m release clause and City paid that £50m tomorrow, United would have to sell to City if Martial wanted to go to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Lost out on Shearer to Newcastle
    Lost out on Ronaldinho to Barca
    Lost out on Robben to Chelsea
    Lost out on Hazard to Chelsea
    Lost out on Fabregas to Chelsea
    Lost out on A Sanchez to Barca then Arsenal
    Lost out on Lucas Moura to PSG
    Lost out on Vidal to Bayern
    Lost out on Thiago Silva to Bayern
    Lost out on Marcello Salas to Lazio
    Patrick Kluvert told us NO and went to Barca(that was his loss because it was the year before we won the trible and we got in yorke instead)
    Left Robben and Sneijder leave real for a combined 40m on the same year we sold them Ronaldo, I dunno about you but those 2 and 40m for ronaldo would have been a good deal

Yep. The club is a joke for losing out on all those players. They should really make more of an effort to force them to sign. Maybe a tiger kidnapping of one of their relatives or something?

Really?

So say Martial had a £50m release clause and City paid that £50m tomorrow, United would have to sell to City if Martial wanted to go to them?

Yeah, pretty much,

Not many clubs in England put them in as far as I'm aware but, if you ask me they should be gotton rid of anyway, it's helping destroy other leagues where teams like Dortmund don't have a say when Bayern decide they want one of their players

No - if Arsenal had pushed it they would have got it. Remember reading the Liverpool owner saying they didn't want to sell to arsenal so just tried rejecting it - no one took them to court over it so they held on. They basically bluffed it.

That's pretty much it. They took the line that contracts mean SFA if players can force an exit even if they're under contract so they just decided that they would refuse to sell.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/02/liverpool-john-henry-luis-suarez-clause

Yeah, pretty much,

Not many clubs in England put them in as far as I'm aware but, if you ask me they should be gotton rid of anyway, it's helping destroy other leagues where teams like Dortmund don't have a say when Bayern decide they want one of their players

Yea seems stupid. Unless you put in a clause with a ridiculous Buyout for teams in the same league as you and a smaller more realistic buyout for teams in other countries your basically weakening yourself and strengthening your rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Do people think if utd win their final 2 league games and the FA cup we'll be saddled with LVG for next season ? Will we go into next season with Pep, Conte, Klopp, Wenger Leicester as defending champions, West Ham going into a new stadium with possibly a better setup than this season and Pochitinni. Hard to believe it could happen but could be on the cards

• Advertisement

Yea seems stupid. Unless you put in a clause with a ridiculous Buyout for teams in the same league as you and a smaller more realistic buyout for teams in other countries your basically weakening yourself and strengthening your rivals.

Yeah that's what Barcelona seem to do, probably out of paranoia that if they didn't have ridiculous clauses on their players that Real would just meet it, that's why for example Neymar would probably have like a €250m buy out. I think it is law in Spain though that a player has to have a buy out clause?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement