Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

LVG must be staging some kind of sit-in protest

• LVG must be staging some kind of sit-in protest

Nope he's left.

Reports stating he was negotiating his severance package

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Could it be they don't want to confirm officially until Jose's name is on the contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Could it be they don't want to confirm officially until Jose's name is on the contract?

Yep, would make sense alright

I have a feeling tomorrow will be the announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Havnt seen it here (skipped a few pages) but Mourihno spent all day in his home with Rui Faria (couldnt care less about spelling). Surely its only a matter of time.

What excits me most is that he has had a long time to scout players and study us. Next season we WILL win the league.......if we keep DDG.

Talks of Ibra, Varane, Pogba is just unreal. Never felt this excited about us off the pitch before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I reckon Mendes is on a whistle stop tour of the globe picking up some other fun stuff for the grand reveal tomorrow

Zlatan Pogba and Rialo

Ronaldo, James, Kroos and Varane from Madrid...

I'm getting weak already!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Mendes is in China today - due back in the UK tomorrow, so it wasn't likely anything would be confirmed re. Mourinho today. good chance of contract signing tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Havnt seen it here (skipped a few pages) but Mourihno spent all day in his home with Rui Faria (couldnt care less about spelling). Surely its only a matter of time.

What excits me most is that he has had a long time to scout players and study us. Next season we WILL win the league.......if we keep DDG.

Talks of Ibra, Varane, Pogba is just unreal. Never felt this excited about us off the pitch before.

Meh, talk of players is pointless.
    Think of last season:
    Schweinstiger, Depay etc etc and look how that ended up.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kippy wrote: »
    Meh, talk of players is pointless.
    Think of last season:
    Schweinstiger, Depay etc etc and look how that ended up.....

there were plenty of people who said the squad was still weak in a few areas, and expressed concern regarding Van Gaal, in general, getting the best out of the squad. Even with the current squad, I reckon a better manager would do a better job; I believe Mourinho would have got us CL football if appointed in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Agreed, even with only one or two additions that squad still has enough about it to be dangerous under the right manager, even now its still a better squad than most teams out there. We had a horrible manager and a host of players underperforming and were still on the fringes of Europe, if Mourinho gets the likes of Morgan, Herrera and Darmian firing we could really go places.

A few key additions would just be the icing on the cake and I'm really interested to see who they might be, forget the big names, I think Jose might have a few Milito style surprises lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

there were plenty of people who said the squad was still weak in a few areas, and expressed concern regarding Van Gaal, in general, getting the best out of the squad. Even with the current squad, I reckon a better manager would do a better job; I believe Mourinho would have got us CL football if appointed in January.

That is where Woodward ****ed up in my view. At that stage there were indications that it would be a fight to secure 4th and once that danger existed he should have pulled the trigger on LVG. I honestly feel although you can never prove this of course.. but if Giggs had have taken over to the end of the season say if Mourinho wasn't ready or willing to step in we would have had a more successful shot at finishing 4th or higher... It's clear the LVG was stifling a bunch of players creatively and professionally and at least removing those shackles would have been a lift to the whole squad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The difference in us finishing 5th and 4th was goal difference, not too much of a leap to say Jose, or pretty much anybody who would be considered for the job, would have got us CL.

The squad is in pretty good shape tbh, some good quality players there who certainly have more ability then what they showed for one reason or another. The team still needs strengthening in terms of key player types but the squad itself is in a better place then it was imo. Plenty there for a new manager to work with, and the squad is not bloated so plenty of room to add players to it too.

I just wish this would be announced, I have no idea why they cannot simply confirm Van Gaal is now gone. Its not like the silence is making it any less of a story, and the speculation surrounding Mourinho can't get any louder. Just get on with it!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It seems retired footballers just play golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I believe Mourinho would have got us CL football if appointed in January.

I honestly think they expected Leicester to drop off and 4th would be easy enough. In fact I'd say most of us thought the same around that period

Earlier in the day the schedule for MUTV showed the Paddy Crerand show would be on.
    It's not.

Has Paddy being sacked too?

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

RobertKK wrote:
    Has Paddy being sacked too?

Please be true! Please be true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Good article on the SS app debunking the Jose myths about defensive football. It also touches on the claim he doesn't play youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Good article on the SS app debunking the Jose myths about defensive football. It also touches on the claim he doesn't play youth.

http://www.skysports.com/share/10292081

Here It is lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

[QUOTE=RobertKK;9981462

Has Paddy being sacked too? :P[/QUOTE]

Haha imagine that!!!! Woodward just sacking everyone for the craic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

This is going to drag on all week isn't it? Obviously sacking Van Gaal is the correct decision but I'm still disappointed to see him go. I was so excited when he took over and was convinced he'd win the title in year three. Unfortunately most of his best moments are related to his off the field antics. On the other hand, Jose's finally getting the job he should have been given in 2013 so I'm not overly gutted by it all. Best of luck to Giggsy too. He's taken a fair amount of criticism over the last few years (and I've given him plenty) but if he can prove his ability elsewhere than I've no problem welcoming him back when the time is right.

As for Ibrahimovic, the Falcao/Di Maria affairs have left me wary when it comes to superstar signings. It's still an exciting prospect to see him in a United shirt but I won't be expecting him to pull up any trees tbh. Can see him scoring around 10 goals and we'll be sat here next summer wondering whether the money could have gone elsewhere. His presence could do wonders for Rashford and Martial though so I suppose it's worth a go. It'll depend on who else is brought in really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What i cant understand is why does sacking lvg have to drag out can they not just bloody announce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Chagan wrote: »
    As for Ibrahimovic, the Falcao/Di Maria affairs have left me wary when it comes to superstar signings. It's still an exciting prospect to see him in a United shirt but I won't be expecting him to pull up any trees tbh. Can see him scoring around 10 goals and we'll be sat here next summer wondering whether the money could have gone elsewhere. His presence could do wonders for Rashford and Martial though so I suppose it's worth a go. It'll depend on who else is brought in really.

He's a free agent this summer iirc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

He's a free agent this summer iirc :)

I'd say he'll be paid handsomely though, even more so without CL football to attract him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

MrMac84 wrote: »

Does not really debunk the theory of a lack of trust in young players though.

astradave wrote: »

Giggs had it good for a long time. If he really wants to be a manager then he should do as other former United players have done, gone to other clubs where they showed if it was sink or swim.
    He deserves a downgrade after the past few years if he doesn't want to leave, if he thought it would be an upgrade he was living in cloud cuckoo land.

jayo26 wrote: »
    What i cant understand is why does sacking lvg have to drag out can they not just bloody announce it.

SSN said it would likely be after the close of the NYSE, and it took so long to do as it was also sorting out the pay offs to all the other staff associated with Van Gaal.
    So after 9pm onwards...

MUTV is basically a non stop re-run of the FA cup with some filler in between.

United's social media is in lockdown until an announcement is made it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RobertKK wrote: »
    SSN said it would likely be after the close of the NYSE, and it took so long to do as it was also sorting out the pay offs to all the other staff associated with Van Gaal.
    So after 9pm onwards...

MUTV is basically a non stop re-run of the FA cup with some filler in between.

United's social media is in lockdown until an announcement is made it seems.

Season review on at 7.30

Break out the popcorn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My guess is they want as short a time as possible between sacking LVG and announcing Jose. Also been talks they want the Giggs situation handled too, and they are giving Van Gaal a chance to head out of the country if he wants too, to avoid the media circus. So they want to keep it as tidy as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm personally delighted Giggs is gone.

We need complete clear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

To all intents and purposes he was sacked in January.

Ed Woodward is a complete idiot for allowing the last few months of speculation to develop around the club and a manager who was worse in December than he was when the axe finally came down.

United have huge problems with leadership and decision making beyond the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Korat wrote: »
    To all intents and purposes he was sacked in January.

Ed Woodward is a complete idiot for allowing the last few months of speculation to develop around the club and a manager who was worse in December than he was when the axe finally came down.

United have huge problems with leadership and decision making beyond the manager.

Let it all out buddy

tumblr_mkwlbj0bh91s7c8hwo1_500_zps6605e80a.gif

Season review on at 7.30

Break out the popcorn

I hope we have the Memphis that played against Bruges, two goals and he looked so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

Andy Mitton on Newstalk in a few min

Andy Mitten on Newstalk now. I know some dont like him

It could be that at this moment in time LVG is still technically the manager of Man Utd still. Could have been a delay in something procedural in relation to his payoff and what terms he leaves under, or could be he asked for a stay on the announcement maybe until he fecks off on his holidays tomorrow.. who knows but I also find it all a bit odd how this whole thing was and is being handled...Considering the level of speculation and dogs on the street knowledge out there I would have expected something from the club...

I'm personally delighted Giggs is gone.

We need complete clear out.

Not gone yet ? Been offered a roll at club , yet to be stated what roll involves.

Mitten claiming that Giggs was interviewed for the job and gave a presentation but United went with Mourinho instead.....cant be right surly cant be interviewed for a job to replace your boss when the boss is still in charge ?

Strumms wrote: »
    Mitten claiming that Giggs was interviewed for the job and gave a presentation but United went with Mourinho instead.....cant be right surly cant be interviewed for a job to replace your boss when the boss is still in charge ?

Sure it would be like cheating on your wife...

• Advertisement

[quote="Strumms;99815228"..cant be right surly cant be interviewed for a job to replace your boss when the boss is still in charge ?[/quote]

Probably wasn't meant to get out....more leaks in OT than irish water by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Strumms wrote: »

Multi billion pound company will always have plans in place for worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Andy Mitten on Newstalk now. I know some dont like him

Much to say?

I presume fergie told pochitteno last week that mourinho would be the new United manager and that's why he signed new contract with Spurs immediately

Waiting for stock market to close first so there will probably be an announcement after 9pm tonight

bangkok wrote: »
    Multi billion pound company will always have plans in place for worst case scenario.

Yes it's called succession planning. However you wouldn't usually expect the public side of that process to start when the guy still has a job... The season is over for United so why they would have wanted to move THAT quickly even before they announce that LVG is no longer with the club seems odd..

Antibac wrote: »
    Much to say?

Tbh not really anything that we already know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mourinho was my first choice in 2013. I am delighted.

Lvg deserved to go but he hasn't left things in a mess like Moyes did and there is a platform to build something special now.

Tbh not really anything that we already know.

Bar that Giggs made a presentation to board putting himself forward for Manager, and had a good deal of support from players.

• Advertisement

Antibac wrote: »
    Much to say?

He was saying the players disliked his manner, how he spoke to them. The meetings where the player was called out on their mistakes in front of the whole squad and made to answer questions and say what they7 would do better next time... many times Rooney and Carrick approached the manager about their concerns but he always said he took it on board but didn't change... The influence of Giggs was limited. Again LVG would listen to his coaching staff and take on board what they said but come decision time it was still the old LVG way of doing things and nothing changed.. also a bit about emailing players about things and tracking that they had been read and not just deleted or something... A headmaster and pupil relationship basicially and he wasn't liked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement