Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The season review is depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Strumms wrote: »
    He was saying the players disliked his manner, how he spoke to them. The meetings where the player was called out on their mistakes in front of the whole squad and made to answer questions and say what they7 would do better next time... many times Rooney and Carrick approached the manager about their concerns but he always said he took it on board but didn't change... The influence of Giggs was limited. Again LVG would listen to his coaching staff and take on board what they said but come decision time it was still the old LVG way of doing things and nothing changed.. also a bit about emailing players about things and tracking that they had been read and not just deleted or something... A headmaster and pupil relationship basicially and he wasn't liked.

So he basically read out Daniel Taylor's article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So he basically read out Daniel Taylor's article?

I haven't read that article you are referring to, maybe someone else can comment. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

RobertKK wrote:
    Sure it would be like cheating on your wife...

With your brothers wife...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Yes it's called succession planning. However you wouldn't usually expect the public side of that process to start when the guy still has a job... The season is over for United so why they would have wanted to move THAT quickly even before they announce that LVG is no longer with the club seems odd..

When was Giggs interviewed for the job did it say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

bangkok wrote: »
    When was Giggs interviewed for the job did it say?

I don't recall a time being mentioned actually in the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I ****in wish,he was there for ****in hours upon hours. if it was like that we would have plenty of Kate Gifs right now.. i miss Kate Gifs :mad:

*Heads to google*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's official

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/May/official-club-statement-as-louis-van-gaal-leaves-manchester-united.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd
    LOUIS VAN GAAL LEAVES MANCHESTER UNITED

(NYSE: MANU) Louis van Gaal is to leave Manchester United, with immediate effect.

Executive vice chairman Ed Woodward said: "I would like to thank Louis and his staff for their excellent work in the past two years culminating in winning a record-equalling 12th FA Cup for the club (and securing him a title in four different countries). He has behaved with great professionalism and dignity throughout his time here. He leaves us with a legacy of having given several young players the confidence to show their ability on the highest stage. Everyone at the club wishes him all the best in the future."

A decision on a successor as manager will be announced soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

It's finally official lads

I mention Kate Gifs and its made official!

Break out the Gifs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Jaysus that's a brief statement, straight to the point. Adios Louis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

classy statement from Louis

Classy statement from van gaal. I wish him all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Goodbye LVG - it didn't work out but its a classy last statement... wish him all the best!
    It has been an honour to manage such a magnificent club as Manchester United FC, and in doing so, I have fulfilled a long-held ambition.

I am immensely proud to have helped United win the FA Cup for the 12th time in the club's history. I have been privileged during my management career to have won 20 trophies but winning the FA Cup, which is steeped in so much history, will always be one of the most special achievements of my career.

I am very disappointed to be unable to complete our intended three-year plan. I believe that the foundations are firmly in place to enable the club to move forward and achieve even greater success.

I hope that winning the FA Cup will give the club a platform to build upon next season to restore the success that this passionate set of fans desire.

Having managed in Holland, Spain and Germany, I had always hoped for the opportunity to manage in English football and be part of English culture. Both of these experiences have lived up to expectations and been fantastic.

I thank my players and wish them well for next season. It has been a pleasure to work with them and it has been particularly rewarding to see so many young players take their chance to break into the first team and excel. I look forward to watching the continued development of these young players next season.

Thank you to the owners and board of Manchester United for giving me the opportunity to manage this great club.

I would also like to express my gratitude to the amazing United supporters. They are truly the best fans in the world.

I am indebted to my support and coaching staff, who have given me their all during their time at the club.

I am deeply grateful to each and every member of the club’s staff - the sports science team, the medical team, the kit and laundry department, club administration, the press office, the manager's team, the Academy team, ground staff and the catering team, both at Old Trafford stadium and Carrington training ground, all of whom have given me their unwavering support in my time at United. Never in my 25 years as a manager have I been so well supported in my role.

Finally, my special thanks go to Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Bobby Charlton for always making me and my family feel so welcome throughout my time as Manchester United manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

He was saying the players disliked his manner, how he spoke to them. The meetings where the player was called out on their mistakes in front of the whole squad and made to answer questions and say what they7 would do better next time... many times Rooney and Carrick approached the manager about their concerns but he always said he took it on board but didn't change... The influence of Giggs was limited. Again LVG would listen to his coaching staff and take on board what they said but come decision time it was still the old LVG way of doing things and nothing changed.. also a bit about emailing players about things and tracking that they had been read and not just deleted or something... A headmaster and pupil relationship basicially and he wasn't liked.

So the players didn't like being criticised in front of the rest of the team, you know the other guys that rely on them to know how to do their job.

Fair enough, so LVG sends them personal e-mails, which they don't bother to even open so LVG has to put in a tracker and then they just open and don't bother reading!

Bunch of school kids!

Can you imagine Roy Keane being worried if he hurt Neville's feelings? No, they had a job to do, to win, how you feel is secondary

Blatter wrote: »
    Nice to see an amicable separation despite the farcical way it all unfolded.

Jorge Mendes at his very best. Bad way to start off IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God Its going to be some craic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Because its been a while since it needed to be said, I have just deleted the two Upton gifs so far. But I've warned people not to do them before (they are troublesome for many people). Any from here on out have to be a yellow card.

And please don't respond publicly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Classy statement. Pity it didn't work out as I really enjoyed his treatment of the press but that Christmas period was just shocking altogether. His departure was handled terribly but everything comes out in the end.

Wouldn't be mourinho's biggest fan due to his conduct on the sidelines and in the press but he is the man we need.

Going to be a ridiculously competitive league next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Giggs needs to go off and cut his teeth somewhere else if he ever wants to be United manager. I can't see the job ever being given to somebody unproven under the current regime.

As for Mourinho, I'm not so sure he will be the success that many believe. There are a few things different about him taking this job. It's the first time since before Porto that he has taken a job with a team that are not in the Champion's league and as such the quality of player available to him might not be what he is used to. United is a huge club, bigger than any he has been at before and I'm not so sure it suits him. Finally the way things went at Chelsea for him was a bit strange. The treatment of staff and his attitude seemed to be one of not caring when things were not going well on the pitch.

I suppose the fact that he has a lot to prove now is a good thing. I'm just not sure he is the man for the United job though.

I'd have thought they would have been better going for somebody like Emery or Tuchel or Weinzierl. I don't think any of those would be any more of a risk to Mourinho right at this moment. I think they would all offer a more attractive type of game to Jose too. The big thing he has over them is that he has won the Champion's league and multiple times of course. I just think there are a lot of question marks surrounding him going into the United job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Meanwhile, my reaction to the news being confirmed...

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Thats very sexest tsc so its ok to give marsbar eye candy but not us hard working men folk :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Announcement delayed at the behest of LVG apparently.
    Paul Hirst ‏@hirstclass 5m5 minutes ago City of London, London
    MUFC announcement was delayed at LVG's request. He wanted time to pack bags, get to the airport & catch a flight to the Algarve, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

eagle eye wrote: »
    The big thing he has over them is that he has won the Champion's league and multiple times of course. I just think there are a lot of question marks surrounding him going into the United job.

He has proven himself in the PL, a league it seems that players and managers a like seem to struggle to adapt to. He doesn't need to 6/9 months learning period that most others need.

IMO, Pep is going to find it tough to start off with. The difference between managing Barca/Bayern where most league games are basically defence against attack and players can be rested before big games to the PL where every game is 100 miles and hour, tough tackling etc is a big difference and one Jose is not only used to but proven at.

If Utd want success in the short term Jose was the only option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

All I can do is echo what has already been said, extremely classy statement and I would have expected nothing less.

Wish him all the best, gutted it didn't work out but you live and die by your results as a manager and it is the right decision to part ways.

Mourinho coming in doesn't thrill me, but we will see what happens!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Anyway thanks be to be jaysus thats over hopefully it onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

It's finally official lads

gtfo-gif-33.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Mourinho out! No wins since he started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Fair play to Utd for handling this in a dignified manner, the man at least deserved that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

It didn't work out as we may have wished but, for all of his faults, it's an honour to have the man connected to our club. Very warm words at a time where he didn't necessarily have to give them. Wouldn't be shocked if he was back coaching the Netherlands NT by the end of the summer tbh.

Has anybody checked up on Paddy Crerand yet?

One of the most honest managers ever in the premier league, called it truthfully even if it was against United. Could do with more managers like him. A legend of the game, sadly it didn't work out for him. Made improvements to the training ground and academy so hopefully we will reap the rewards in the next few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yermandan wrote: »

Anyone else read the "fantastic" part in his accent. Can't say I won't miss him, and sorry it didn't work out.

Nice statements from both parties, must have been tough for him after winning the cup getting the news, but I guess its now to looking forward to a mental summer.

Winning a cup is a fitting way to end the career of one of the great European influences and coaches.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Meanwhile, my reaction to the news being confirmed...

giphy.gif

Men are okay, just don't post anything hinting at the disgusting female form, gotcha! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good luck to Louis Van Gaal and I hope he has a long and happy retirement.

• Advertisement

• yermandan wrote: »

Yermandan speaks!!!
    Simeone to sign for Utd in massive shock bait and switch mwhuhahah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I'm quite sad now that it's official. He's a very likable, funny and respectful man and he seems so genuinely proud to have won the FA Cup. Part of me wishes he could see out his contract and try and build on the FA Cup success but then I remember Sunderland, Norwich, Southampton, Wolfsburg, West Ham, Bournemouth as well as his claims that expecting a top 4 finish and a title challenge is unrealistic and it's clear that ultimately parting ways with him was the right thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Haven't had a drink in a few weeks but tonight i think i'm going to have to have a few to celebrate.

I don't think i've been this happy about anything in sport since we won the Champions League. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The excitement with Jose Mourinho as manager will be too much to take after the last 3 years. He will buy players to win trophies. I have no idea if Zlatan is the player we need but if Jose thinks he is then he will go get him. Same goes for a dominating Centre Half and Midfielder.

Tsc you may trust me on the amount but sent 20 euro to our ladys hospital in crumlin they dont send a receipt seemingly

2qd3lli.png

• I just watched SSN asking Carragher about feeling sympathy for LVG because the last 6 months in particular there was alot of speculation about his job.

FFS the media IE the person asking that stupid question are to blame for the speculation in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

Where's Victor Valdes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

How crap are mutv. The biggest news day in years and they are showing routine programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

twinex wrote: »
    Where's Victor Valdes?

I actually just passed him in Tesco.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Nice to have a feeling of optimism again - looking forward to see what happens over the next couple of weeks; I think we are going to see some movement fairly quickly.

Sad it didn't work out with LVG, i was a vocal proponent of him post Moyes, I thought things would be very different - still feel that Leicster City humiliation shocked LVG, and put him into a defensive mindset which he never got out of again - prior to that game (and when 3-1 up...) it looked like he was trying to put together a properly attacking side.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement