Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

The Red Devils are on the brink of hiring the Devil. Embrace the hate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

With Moyes out of the running for the Villa job, wouldn't it just be a sucker punch from the club to troll everyone and announce him as the United manager....again instead of Mourinho.

In all seriousness though, if Mourinho has been a long time target and it was true that for the last six months he has known he will be United manager, I do hope he has thoroughly scouted who is needed for United and who needs to be shown the door too.

It would be interesting to know if he had any part to play in trying to sign Renato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm just dreading when I say anything positive about Jose that somebody is going look at my post history and see a post where I was highly critical of him.

"Here is what you said in 2012 Pal":pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

GSPfan wrote: »
    How crap are mutv. The biggest news day in years and they are showing routine programming.

Dead right.

• I'm just dreading when I say anything positive about Jose that somebody is going look at my post history and see a post where I was highly critical of him.

Join my gang!

You can still be critical of Jose if he is manager but be willing to give him a chance like me also. Same could be said for Moyes @ LVG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'm just dreading when I say anything positive about Jose that somebody is going look at my post history and see a post where I was highly critical of him.

We all been there. How many of us thought lvg was going to be the saviour.

Now all we need is mitch panicking over the lack of signings and it will be business as usual :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

TheTownie wrote: »
    The Red Devils are on the brink of hiring the Devil. Embrace the hate!

Cool video

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

jayo26 wrote: »
    Now all we need is mitch panicking over the lack of signings and it will be business as usual :)

No value in the market :D

• Advertisement

• jayo26 wrote: »
    We all been there. How many of us thought lvg was going to be the saviour.

TBF to LVG he's left the club in a decent state. A good platform is there to be built on with a decent squad.

IMO Jose's first test is to make sure to do everything in his power to hold on to David De Gea which I think will be a crucial statement of intent on where the club needs to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I found this interesting quote from Mourinho back in 2010:
    "I like players in the final part of their careers."

"I love to have some players who are 33 or 34 years old...they are players that you buy and you won't recover this money, but if they give you good performances for two or three years you've got your money's worth."

Ibrahimovic is 34. Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Meanwhile, my reaction to the news being confirmed...

giphy.gif

Completely inappropriate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

So what is the minimum people expect from Jose and the (expected) massive transfer outlay in the summer for Season 2016/17?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So what is the minimum people expect from Jose and the (expected) massive transfer outlay in the summer for Season 2016/17?

top 4 and a proper title challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

FatherTed wrote: »
    Completely inappropriate...

Completely inappropriate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Win the league, win Europa and Fa Cup

We are not Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A title challenge. Same as should be expected from any manager, **** the LVG low expectation bull.

I don't mean we should demand a league title but this club should be challenging, we should be beating small teams and competing with the bigger teams and picking up enough points to genuinely be a factor come the last third of the season.

If we finish 3rd but have shown real progress then thats fine, certainly for year one. Van Gaals problem was that there was no progress there, we all could see that performances were just as bad last month as they were 18 months ago, things were not improving in the slightest. If Jose shows us progress then nobody will mind missing out on the title but no more of this being happy to finish 4th or 5th bull****.

Like all these things they are hard to define, you'll know progress or a legitimate title challenge when you see it, but there are good players there and he will get plenty of backing so, Jose needs to deliver a title challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would say in his first season the minimum target should be top four. When he went to Chelsea - on his second stint - he played down the talk of a title challenge in the first season there. Remember all the 'we are a little horse, and next year we will be a big horse' stuff? I expect to hear similar things at United.

Return to the top four and maybe a cup is a satisfactory return for year 1 imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Community Shield. League Cup. League. Europa League. FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Community Shield. League Cup. League. Europa League. FA Cup.

I agree, I think we should play a part in all those competitions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm really glad it's finally over. Sorry it didn't work out as I was genuinely excited about his appointment but he was left there too long which is a shame. Some of the worst and least progressive football I have ever seen.

With the imminent arrival of Jose it's great to feel optimistic again about the club. Exciting times. Whatever happens the one thing I am looking forward to is seeing players playing with a bit of commitment and belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I would say in his first season the minimum target should be top four. When he went to Chelsea - on his second stint - he played down the talk of a title challenge in the first season there. Remember all the 'we are a little horse, and next year we will be a big horse' stuff? I expect to hear similar things at United.

Return to the top four and maybe a cup is a satisfactory return for year 1 imo.

He did play down their chances that season but that was just trying to lower the media's expectations and hence take the pressure off the players.

In reality, they challenged for 95% of the campaign whilst reaching the semis of the CL and were favorites for the league for long stretches. A few poor results against average teams like Villa, Sunderland and Norwich in the last few weeks of the season cost them big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

With no Champions league, a proper title challenge. Use Europa league to give the young players European experience. Buy quality (Kroos etc) in the right areas and cut loose the dead weight in the squad.

Spend approx €60m net and convince DDG to stay

Lads one thing im looking forward to is a bit of bloody passion i expect to see the home dugout box on the side of the pitch to be brown by the end of next season.

Missed it so bloody much want to see loads of fist pumps and beating chests and what not bring it on.

Im looking forward to games against arsenal and liverpool not been love in afairs i want to see rooney and the likes going out to fight for the team.

Results will come eventually but i want passion straight away.

Throw the bloody clip board in the bin and scream at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Scenes when Ibra smashes home a last minute winner at Anfield and Mourinho sprints down the sideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

No value in the market :D

That's fine, he can just rent.

Now, who are we going to sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Woodward meeting Mendes tomorrow in London, they don't expect mourinho announcement until later in the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jose is breaking Boards

Who cares if 404 is not found i wasnt looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Headshot wrote: »
    Jose is breaking Boards

Its Zlatan Static as his plane flies over the Irish sea to Manchester

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Same expectations that I had for LVG.

Year one, finish in the top 4 and give a decent tilt towards the title.

Year two, minimum will be a proper challenge for the title.

Year 3, win the title.

Though I want the league in year two and shall be placing a wager on that if / when HoeSay is installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think we all agree we would have loved Van Gaal to be a success, it didn't work out but a true gent until the end, hopefully he enjoys his retirement.

We now have the best manager in the world on his day, really optimistic and I think Jose will lead us back to the promise land. He will know that this could be a long term job if he does it right, let's be honest here Inter, Madrid and Chelsea are not long term jobs no matter who you are and you know that going in.

Next season I expect top 4 and a good showing in the 3 cups. We will have to Arsenal it for a year while the players adapt but after that I expect nothing but success from Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I loved the VanGaal statement. Truly classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Classy goodbye statement from LVG, whatever you think about the football you can say LVG has acted with class and never tarnished or embarrassed the club.

This is a major worry I have with Jose. As good a manger as he is his antics take the spotlight much of the time. This is the manager that marginalised the club doctor. He seems to very easily fall out with players and the posturing and insulting others coaches during his tenures. He stuck his finger in Tito Vilanovas eye for gods sake. I cringe at the thought of him behaving like this at UTD, hopefully those "Im willing to change" statements are true but I doubt his ability to keep calm under stress.

Then there is the football. If exciting attacking Fergie style football is what people expect under Jose then they must not know Joese style at all. He doesnt play that way. Against big teams he is more then happy to contain them then to try and attack, LVG is more progressive against big teams than Jose.

As for bringing world class talent like Zlatan, yes its exciting but Zlatan has been cleaning up in the french league but very poor in the EPL against better opposition. During the clash with Man City he was practically invisible. He could struggle in the EPL.

I have major doubts but hopefully we see a new side to Jose but anyone expecting instant success could be in for a rough ride, the EPL will have very strong managers next season and when things don't go Jose's way he can react irratically. I dont see a long term at the helm either.

Many questions and concers over Jose. He could bring success or he could implode and the football may not be electrifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

He has to win the league. That's what should be expected of a United manager, no excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

He should have the same expectations as the fans.

Not be a spectator for 90min but the 12th man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

...Then there is the football. If exciting attacking Fergie style football is what people expect under Jose then they must not know Joese style at all. He doesnt play that way. Against big teams he is more then happy to contain them then to try and attack, LVG is more progressive against big teams than Jose.

To be fair, depending on the players that Fergie had over the years, Utd played a similar style, particularly in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Thought the fans were supposed to be the 12th man? ;)

I expect Jose to mount a title challenge next season, he doesn't have to win the league every season but a title challenge is expected. The squad is good enough to challenge even without additions and since players will obviously be coming in I see no reason not to expect them to be in the mix next season.

A word for Carrick by the way, no talk of a new deal and with Jose coming in he may have played his final game. Great servant to the club and I wish him the best for the future if that was his last game it was a pretty good one to sign off in. Lifting a trophy, like he has done many a time in his United career

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

it didn't work out but a true gent until the end

I thought he was an arse to be honest, no point pretending otherwise just because he's finally gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Van Gaal and Jose are not too far apart in terms of having very specific ideas and roles for each player, heavy dossiers of information on every squad member and opposition player. Jose has shown he may be even more anal about certain things then Van Gaal, one thing he is good at though is beating the weaker teams. I am not saying he is poor against the big teams, but what let Van Gaal down ultimately was an inability to break down the poor sides. Mourinho has more often then not found a way through, be it with a battering ram, or a moment of beauty from a player. Pragmatic manager, just like his mentor :)

Looking forward to seeing his first press conference in the job, should make for some pretty good quotes!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I thought he was an arse to be honest, no point pretending otherwise just because he's finally gone.

Well I thought he was a prevent decent dude but a not a good manager for United. Amazing how different people have different ideas, right?

Amazing how different people have different ideas, right?

And I stated mine, whats the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I found him likeable even though he was a poor manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

He was very likeable in fairness. Don't think many people would disagree there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I don't know how he succeeded before as a manager...with some of his decisions...they were completely loopy !
    Jones taking corners.
    Blind the Center half taking corners.
    Powell sub in champions league.
    The 3-5-2 love
    The 2 defensive midfielders against poor opposition
    Playing young upfront and other players constantly out of position.

I'm sure there's more...thats all I can think of now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

To me LVG stumbled to an FA cup win, some of the football this season has been terrible to watch.

While his press conferences were comedy gold he had to go. As others have said he should have gone at Christmas. He was treated far too nicely by the board letting him stay this long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lads one thing im looking forward to is a bit of bloody passion i expect to see the home dugout box on the side of the pitch to be brown by the end of next season.

Missed it so bloody much want to see loads of fist pumps and beating chests and what not bring it on.

Im looking forward to games against arsenal and liverpool not been love in afairs i want to see rooney and the likes going out to fight for the team.

Results will come eventually but i want passion straight away.

Throw the bloody clip board in the bin and scream at them.

It's not like they can hear him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Same expectations that I had for LVG.

Year one, finish in the top 4 and give a decent tilt towards the title.

Year two, minimum will be a proper challenge for the title.

Year 3, win the title.

Though I want the league in year two and shall be placing a wager on that if / when HoeSay is installed.

It's pronounced joeSay in Portugal not HoeSay

Mmmmmk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Nalz wrote: »
    It's pronounced joeSay in Portugal not HoeSay

Mmmmmk

aHCeXAgR2WEncgX0jW2O_Smile%20Kid%20FU.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If De Gea is intent on going then United are in a great position to make a nice bit of cash and get possibly even a better keeper. I've watched a lot of Real Madrid games over the last 10 months or so and Keylor Navas is imo the best keeper on the planet over that period.

Real Madrid would be 15 points worse off this past season if it weren't for him. I'm being conservative with my points estimate there because there were so many games they won by a single goal that they would have lost but for incredile goalkeeping.

If you do lose De Gea and get Navas you should be really happy. I understand that De Gea is loved by United fans and highly regarded but Navas is certainly as good as him right now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement