Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

eagle eye wrote: »
    If De Gea is intent on going then United are in a great position to make a nice bit of cash and get possibly even a better keeper. I've watched a lot of Real Madrid games over the last 10 months or so and Keylor Navas is imo the best keeper on the planet over that period.

Real Madrid would be 15 points worse off this past season if it weren't for him. I'm being conservative with my points estimate there because there were so many games they won by a single goal that they would have lost but for incredile goalkeeping.

If you do lose De Gea and get Navas you should be really happy. I understand that De Gea is loved by United fans and highly regarded but Navas is certainly as good as him right now.

I've watched a lot of Madrid aswell but I'll keep De Gea all day long. Granted I agree that Navas is a fantastic keeper but I think he'd be harder worked at United and could struggle in England at least initially. There is no better keeper in the world for me than Big Dave

eagle eye wrote: »
    If De Gea is intent on going then United are in a great position to make a nice bit of cash and get possibly even a better keeper. I've watched a lot of Real Madrid games over the last 10 months or so and Keylor Navas is imo the best keeper on the planet over that period.

Real Madrid would be 15 points worse off this past season if it weren't for him. I'm being conservative with my points estimate there because there were so many games they won by a single goal that they would have lost but for incredile goalkeeping.

If you do lose De Gea and get Navas you should be really happy. I understand that De Gea is loved by United fans and highly regarded but Navas is certainly as good as him right now.

While the question of "Who is the better keeper?" is an argument I'm not going to get into. De Gea is 5 years younger than Navas, taller, and already accustomed to the premier league's physicality. De Gea has already got a few seasons of being one of the best keepers in the world behind him. Lastly, given the fact that keepers tend to mature later than other footballers I doubt any Man Utd fan would agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Navas is an excellent keeper but not in the same class at all as DDG. Thats why I was so against that deal with Madrid last year. That money meant **** all to United that they were offering and we were trading a Mercedes for a Lexus in the process. No thanks...

SO LVG gone.. relief.. I wish him well.. his intentions were good but his judgment not so on many occasions. He should have been gone long ago in my view and a failure on Woodward's behalf not to try and salvage our season in January instead of pulling the trigger on LVG after the fact... Excited for the new season now and the unpredictability that Jose will bring and a new chapter in the United story.. we have a nucleus of a really fantastic squad and with a bit more passion and drive and a few additions to complete the picture I'm really positive for next season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

This is great news. Mourinho is a a born winner and will want to go for everything next season with the PL the main goal. For those who say he plays negative football are wrong. With Real and Porto he played attacking football. He is an intelligent manager who knows how to get results and sets his team up perfectly against the opposition. I expect Ibra to be his 1st signing and we could get a year or 2 of brilliant football form him while allowing Rashford and Martial to develop further and learn from a top top player. With a couple of more top quality signings on top of this we will be up their challenging as Fergie used to say in his Scottish twang no doubt about it. Exciting times ahead to be a United fan:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

ShooterSF wrote: »
    It's not like they can hear him...

Of course they can. Not the other side of the pitch but for a good but of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Again this has all been badly managed from Manchester United. Have they not learned anything from the sacking of David Moyes? Whoever is leaking this info to the press isn't doing the club any favours.

It happend when Fergie was leaving and both Moyes and now Van Gaal have learned of their sacking through the media. Really is bad form and another PR disaster.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

talk in the papers this morning that Carrick has been offered a 1 year extension to his contract - at reduced pay - and is likely to accept it. I said previously I thought Carrick's leaving/staying depending firstly on LVG going, and secondly on the new manager (Mourinho most likely) wanting him to stay.

I actually don't think Carrick has much to offer these days from a playing perspective - but if used sparingly and managed well he could prove me wrong and still put in some important performances next season. I don't think it would be a bad idea to keep him around for another year - he'll remain a good squad player, i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

I actually don't think Carrick has much to offer these days from a playing perspective - but if used sparingly and managed well he could prove me wrong and still put in some important performances next season. I don't think it would be a bad idea to keep him around for another year - he'll remain a good squad player, i reckon.

Totally agree with you. Too old to be a mainstay in the team now, but good backup to have - and I reckon he'd be perfectly satisfied with a role on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

He changed the game against West Ham (admittedly we still lost but hey). I've never been his biggest fan but when the alternative is a crocked Schweinsteiger or an over rated Schneiderlin then he's well worth having as back up.

Gonna be a lot of games in the Europa League next year - he's definitely worth having around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

talk in the papers this morning that Carrick has been offered a 1 year extension to his contract - at reduced pay - and is likely to accept it. I said previously I thought Carrick's leaving/staying depending firstly on LVG going, and secondly on the new manager (Mourinho most likely) wanting him to stay.

good to come on near end of games to maintain control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Carricks had his day, would prefer the spot on the bench to go to a developing player. How can players break through when we keep older players on contract for so long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If Carrick doesn't have much to offer anymore how do you explain him playing far better than Schneiderlin and Herrera this season?

Was still the most important midfielder this season imo. Him and Fellaini kept United in with a top 4 shout. It's sad but that's what happened.

SteM wrote: »
    Carricks had his day, would prefer the spot on the bench to go to a developing player. How can players break through when we keep older players on contract for so long?
    My assumption would be that if there is a better player or prospect available then they would probably be played (most of the time) ahead of a player who would be getting kept for squad numbers.

Also, I wouldn't think anyone in the U21 side would be good enough to take Carrick's place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Again this has all been badly managed from Manchester United. Have they not learned anything from the sacking of David Moyes? Whoever is leaking this info to the press isn't doing the club any favours.

It happend when Fergie was leaving and both Moyes and now Van Gaal have learned of their sacking through the media. Really is bad form and another PR disaster.

Its been said a number of times already so there is little point in retreading ground but it was the Mendes camp that leaked the news.

United cannot be held accountable for what third parties do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Liam O wrote: »
    If Carrick doesn't have much to offer anymore how do you explain him playing far better than Schneiderlin and Herrera this season?

Was still the most important midfielder this season imo. Him and Fellaini kept United in with a top 4 shout. It's sad but that's what happened.

He's 34. The other 2 you mentioned have more upside potential for the future under a new manager imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The squad in tiny as it is. If a player with experience is happy with a bit part role that is a good thing.

Its been said a number of times already so there is little point in retreading ground but it was the Mendes camp that leaked the news.

United cannot be held accountable for what third parties do.

you could argue they could and should have been able to exercise more control over the situation and forced Mendes to keep his mouth shut.

As it is, I wouldn't blame United themselves for the stories that have come out, but had they shown more authority they could possibly have stopped both the Mendes leak and the stories of player's discontent we have read in the last couple of days - which have come from a press meeting the club OK'd (but was supposed to be focused on something else).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

He's 34. The other 2 you mentioned have more upside potential for the future under a new manager imo.
    He's also got leadership qualities which united are desperately missing. I think its a no brainer to keep him around. Himself and Rooney will be central to how United move forward next season, maybe not from a footballing perspective but take them and Schweinsteiger out and there's not a single leader in that United squad.

and if both players play to their potential (imo) they are far more likely to start than Carrick.

If Carrick is staying having been told he will be a first choice regular, then there are possible problems. If it is as a backup player (as I expect) then no issue - we have complained re. selling players like Evans and Fletcher, who could have been useful squad players this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

I thought he was an arse to be honest, no point pretending otherwise just because he's finally gone.

Only to be replaced by another arse .... Wondering when his antics will start this season ... Admitattedly it makes for some funny but cringeworthy television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Happy 50th birthday to King Eric! My All time favourite player! https://twitter.com/WillHillBet/status/735014575016415232

Edit:This is also a beauty!! https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/735021138657579010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Good move if true as others have said. He is a good option off the bench for the last 15/20 mins.

I think though if Carrick does stay Schweinsteiger will be moved on. There's not really the need/space for both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Doesn't matter who spread the leaks from the club, it was the club that told third parties that LVG was to be sacked. Club should take responsibility for that. Was never a fan of LVG but to learn he is being sacked through the BBC is typical of the running of the club in recent times.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Doesn't matter who spread the leaks from the club, it was the club that told third parties that LVG was to be sacked. Club should take responsibility for that. Was never a fan of LVG but to learn he is being sacked through the BBC is typical of the running of the club in recent times.

So what do you want them to do? Sack LVG then start looking for a manager?

They had his replacement lined up & would have had to go through Mourhino's agent to do so.

United can't control what his agent tells people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Antibac wrote: »

They had his replacement lined up & would have had to go through Mourhino's agent to do so.

Mendes pulled a stroke on United before Jose is even in the job. And then people expect Jose to have changed. Joke.

• Advertisement

Totally classless from the club. That's two managers in a row now. That's not by chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Antibac wrote: »

They could at least safeguard against it with punitive non-disclosure clauses.

I'll miss LVG. The football mightn't have been vintage, but he has put his faith in the youth (by thinning the squad of unnecessary numbers; I know people quibble about whether this was design or luck and I believe it was design), he brought us to an FA Cup and has been totally likeable. Jose's not even announced and I dislike the fact that he's going to be in charge. He's an impossible character to admire, for whom I have zero respect despite his achievements.

I realise that for most people, that doesn't matter a damn. They want trophies. Fine. I'm sure he'll deliver. But it won't be pretty, it won't be swashbuckling, it won't be sustainable and it won't be admirable. I think that we are about to enter a period where I won't like the team I've supported since I was 4.

Most people here seem to disagree with me, but I think this is such a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm no big Carrick fan but I'd certainly advocate the likes of him and Rooney staying on. They're the most senior players and we've few enough serious first team links to title winning seasons and even fewer to Close winning ones. Theses guys are the leaders on and off the pitch and should be kept on for as long as possible when it comes to the last few of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

it was the club that told third parties that LVG was to be sacked

I'm pretty certain this is incorrect. By all accounts (from all respectable journalists) United kept their councel very well for months and had nothing to do with the leaking of the news.

But hey, what does any of that matter? Classless from the club, absolutely disgraceful behaviour from them.

Mendes is DDG's agent right? If playing up to him means that he stays then he can leak what Woodward has for breakfast for all I care :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mendes broke the news straight after the cup final. There is not a thing United can do about that

Mendes is DDG's agent right? If playing up to him means that he stays then he can leak what Woodward has for breakfast for all I care :p
    Classy. So happy enough that United are the lapdog of Mendes then?

bangkok wrote: »

Mendes broke the news straight after the cup final. There is not a thing United can do about that
    Of course there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

I find it gas the way people say it's classless etc, unless Van Gaal is an absolute idiot (which he's not) he knew he was gone, He didn't need the BBC to confirm it for him.

jpboard1 wrote: »

mendes is the most powerful man in world football... maybe you didnt know that?

what could they do to stop mendes breaking the news?

Just because he gave United the run around? Don't make me laugh.

what could they do to stop mendes breaking the news?
    Non-disclosure contracts are common place. United couldn't be bothered to ask for one. Classy.

Who would you have them deal with then? Kia joorbian(Tevez) agent is hardly a shining light of decency either.

Simple fact is agents have worked there way into to much power & clubs just have to deal with them otherwise the pool of players to get in is to small.

Not ideal but unfortunately that's the way it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Must go look for a chrome extension that blocks the word "classy", my Welbeck one has done wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Utd just sacked a manager who won a trophy playing negative football yet are about to appoint a manager who's whole career is built on negative football, I am confused about why ye are so happy with this when a huge part of the reason ye wanted LVG gone was because of the football being played.

Will ye accept Jose's brand of defensive football if it gets Champions League? If so I presume ye would have been happy to keep LVG had he delivered Champions league football?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Non-disclosure contracts are common place. United couldn't be bothered to ask for one. Classy.

How do you know they didn't? How do you know there isn't one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

They could at least safeguard against it with punitive non-disclosure clauses.

I'll miss LVG. The football mightn't have been vintage, but he has put his faith in the youth (by thinning the squad of unnecessary numbers; I know people quibble about whether this was design or luck and I believe it was design), he brought us to an FA Cup and has been totally likeable. Jose's not even announced and I dislike the fact that he's going to be in charge. He's an impossible character to admire, for whom I have zero respect despite his achievements.

I realise that for most people, that doesn't matter a damn. They want trophies. Fine. I'm sure he'll deliver. But it won't be pretty, it won't be swashbuckling, it won't be sustainable and it won't be admirable. I think that we are about to enter a period where I won't like the team I've supported since I was 4.

Most people here seem to disagree with me, but I think this is such a shame.

What have you been watching for the last two years? You like watching 150 side ways passes and zero shots?

I've said before that some fans like yourself while objecting to Jose based on a dislike of his character are completely hyopcritical. You've no problem with people like Matt Busby after how he treated Frank O'Farrell and tried to screw him out a fifth of his wages, Sir Alex after the Rock of Gibraltar scandal which brought the Glazers and their £1bn debt on the club, Giggs having an affair with his brother's wife, Cantona assaulting a fan during a game.

If you're going to be superficial then at least be consistent with it. It seems you're more intested in who gives the best media soundbytes than what they produce on the pitch, certainly comparing LVG and Mourinho.
    Not much of a fan if you ask me.

“Jorge Mendes is the best agent I dealt with, without a doubt. He was responsible, looked after his player and was very fair with clubs”

I wonder who said that? United have been in league with Mendes for a decade at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I just love when liverpool fans talk about class

s49e1k.jpg

Who actually gives a sh1t if you think our club is classy enough id say your own club has enough to be worried about this summer.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Utd just sacked a manager who won a trophy playing negative football yet are about to appoint a manager who's whole career is built on negative football, I am confused about why ye are so happy with this when a huge part of the reason ye wanted LVG gone was because of the football being played.

Will ye accept Jose's brand of defensive football if it gets Champions League? If so I presume ye would have been happy to keep LVG had he delivered Champions league football?

Slight difference between winning the CL and failing to qualify for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Must go look for a chrome extension that blocks the word "classy", my Welbeck one has done wonders.
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    Tidy classy player for Southampton on his day, though.

FYP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

redzerdrog wrote: »

Jose doesn't play defensive football, he does in the big games to get a result which usually works.

One thing that will happen under Jose is Old Trafford will become a fortress again, although to be fair LVG made it a hard place to come again.

wait a minute, are you a liverpool fan coming on here talking about class??!! dont make me laugh

o-KENNY-DALGLISH-570.jpg?7

Johner wrote: »
    Jose doesn't play defensive football, he does in the big games to get a result which usually works.

although to be fair LVG made it a hard place to come again.

Yes but hard for the home fans to come to isnt what he was ment to do.

• Advertisement

wait a minute, are you a liverpool fan coming on here talking about class??!! dont make me laugh

o-KENNY-DALGLISH-570.jpg?7

Beat you to it haha it is funny tho.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement