Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Nalz wrote: »
    I think Mourinho is smart enough to up his game at OT.

He know's this is the biggest club in England if not the world, and arguably a bigger name than Real Madrid. With Fergie being long at the reigns he'll know he'll need to be stern, PC and respectful with next to no antics or childish remarks or incidents. He know's his every move will be scrutinized and analyzed. The rival "fans" are already on the attack and he hasn't even began to discuss terms yet.

If it is him who will be the next United manager, he has a chance now at United to grow up even more and make a name for himself in a positive life in many regards.

You do know that Real Madrid is the biggest club in the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

jpboard1 wrote: »

386773.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

This thread is really been dragged down today haha. I couldn't give a crap what others think about it jose aint perfect but he is in the top teer of manager and he is the only one of the so called world class managers apart from ancelottiti to have won in England that gives him the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What dictates this? And whatever dictates this does it matter? How far away are Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Barcelona away from that?

We all know that United is in the top 5 in terms of support, media attention and money related thingmybobs.

If it makes you feel better I'll call United a world wide focused massive bleedin yokimybobarooni instead of the "biggest in the world" or "one of the biggest"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Winning the League and CL double with Inter didn't seem to generate much longevity. What level of success will generate longevity for him at Utd?

He had won everything he could possibly win at Inter and the Madrid job came up.

Do you think he was wrong to leave Inter?

What is longevity in football terms?

As I mentioned elsewhere

Ancellotti's last 3 jobs ended after two years.

Peps were 4 and 3 years respectively and iirc both have signed 3 year contracts in their new roles.

Its highly unlikely that we will ever see the like of Fergie or Wenger's tenure again. Look at Arsenal, there aren't too many fans of them hoping Wenger will stay on any longer, most wanted him gone last year or before that.

If a manager decides to move on after a spell of great success then so be it.

If they are not able to bring success then should they keep their jobs for the sake of longevity?

How many managers have LFC gone through over the last 10 years, 5 or 6, something like that?

The length of tenure argument against Jose is the same as the negative football argument, bullshyt and is purely and simply the reactions of rival fans that dont want to see him get the United job.

That's as clear as the nose on my face.

What dictates this? And whatever dictates this does it matter? How far away are Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Barcelona away from that?

We all know that United is in the top 5 in terms of support, media attention and money related thingmybobs.

If it makes you feel better I'll call United a world wide focused massive bleedin yokimybobarooni instead of the "biggest in the world" or "one of the biggest"

Was only pointing out a fallacy in your post. Don't be so touchy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Win the league and a cup every other year, progress to the late stages of the CL regularly, win it occasionally. You know, the usual United stuff.

I'd personally love to see Mourinho stay for many many years at Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

jayo26 wrote: »
    This thread is really been dragged down today haha. I couldn't give a crap what others think about it jose aint perfect but he is in the top teer of manager and he is the only one of the so called world class managers apart from ancelottiti to have won in England that gives him the edge.

Totally with you Jayo. I didn't particularly like Jose during his first spell at Chelsea but have a grudging respect for him since. Sure he goes off the radar sometimes but Ferguson etc weren't exactly choir boys either.

Regradless he is absolutely, by some distance, the most accomplished and suitable manager available to hire today. He has a proven track record of bringing in the right players to fix the problems in a team (with some wobbles).

He's been off since last December, covets the United job and must surely have known it would be his in the summer. He can hit the ground running in a way Moyes and VG couldn't due to their late appointments and protracted arrivals and I for one am looking forward to the Jose era, starting with a hopefully busy summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

On the Eva Carneiro thing..... I have always wondered if he had called a male member of staff a 'son of a b1tch', would it have caused anywhere near the amount of problems calling her 'daughter of a whore' - is there a massive difference in the meaning of the two curses? We see footballers call other footballers, and the refs, similar every week and it isn't used as a reason to never play them again.

Hopefully ManUtd fans don't use these kind of excuses to defend Jose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

I think people are being a bit reductionist regarding Mourinho's thought process going into this job. While he's undoubtably one of the best managers, he's shown himself to be a spiteful and nasty person on many occasions and regardless of the size of the club and the job he's getting, I don't think his ego will allow him to forget the rejection from Ferguson and Charlton. I think that the internal conflict within the club will be palpable during his tenure.

Giggsy11 wrote: »

They have started already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Was only pointing out a fallacy in your post. Don't be so touchy :)

Ah I'm typing and making a point only. It's not being touchy, or a fallacy, nor is it passive agressive <insert smiley face>. It's something that comes up all the time. The minute someone mentions United as the biggest in the world someone has to knock it down or nitpick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd personally love to see Mourinho stay for many many years at Utd.

Why so? He'll only be let stay for many years if he's winning things, aren't you a pool fan or have I got it wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

On the Eva Carneiro thing..... I have always wondered if he had called a male member of staff a 'son of a b1tch', would it have caused anywhere near the amount of problems calling her 'daughter of a whore' - is there a massive difference in the meaning of the two curses? .

Well, in Portuguese, Filha da puta would be common enough and pretty much an analogue to Son of a Bitch (we don't really say Daughter of a bitch but whatever), it's not really a special case of her being a woman, Filho da puta being what you would say to a man.

Neither are nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I think people are being a bit reductionist regarding Mourinho's thought process going into this job. While he's undoubtably one of the best managers, he's shown himself to be a spiteful and nasty person on many occasions and regardless of the size of the club and the job he's getting, I don't think his ego will allow him to forget the rejection from Ferguson and Charlton. I think that the internal conflict within the club will be palpable during his tenure.

That could have been said about Fergie on many many occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I cant wait for the transfer window to open and the next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Giggsy11 wrote: »

I said it when he was at Chelsea - if you don't think it is a valid question so be it, I couldn't care less. Personally I thought his continued blaming of her (for doing nothing wrong) and, in effect, demoting her, were the far bigger issues. I just don't see cursing at someone (which is what everyone complains about most on this issue) as being that big a deal. Are women delicate flowers that should be treated differently to all the males in their working environment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

That could have been said about Fergie on many many occasions.

Fergie's behaviour was poor at times over the years but I think the eye gouge suggests that Mourinho is much more sinister than Fergie ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

On the Eva Carneiro thing..... I have always wondered if he had called a male member of staff a 'son of a b1tch', would it have caused anywhere near the amount of problems calling her 'daughter of a whore' - is there a massive difference in the meaning of the two curses? We see footballers call other footballers, and the refs, similar every week and it isn't used as a reason to never play them again.

Well I never.

And can't believe people are comparing Jose to Fergie re being a horrible person. I'm a Liverpool fan and I don't think Fergie was a cnut at all. Jose is a vile person.

• Advertisement

Why so? He'll only be let stay for many years if he's winning things, aren't you a pool fan or have I got it wrong?

I love having Mourinho in the league, he's a polarising character who amps up the passion of his own clubs fans (all other fans hate him so we love him even more etc etc) and he's a pantomime character from a media perspective likely to say or do something edgy/stupid/funny/offensive at any time. What's not to like about him being in the league?

As for wanting him to stay a long time at Utd the reason I want that is I can't see him ever managing a 3rd PL team (with the possible exception of Arsenal down the line) and Utd won't want a 3rd failed manager in a row so are more likely to give him the full three years. When he goes from Utd it's likely to be the last time we see him managing in the PL and from a purely entertainment perspective that will be a sad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Coat22 wrote: »

It was successful on his part anyway, him, Smalling and De Gea can hold their heads high after this season.

Blind is one of my favourite players. Great on the ball, good passing range and a really top class tackler. Not the most athletic but still good in the air. I'd move him back to DM if a good CB was signed and keep him as 3rd choice CB.

Giblet wrote: »
    Well, in Portuguese, Filha da puta would be common enough and pretty much an analogue to Son of a Bitch (we don't really say Daughter of a bitch but whatever), it's not really a special case of her being a woman, Filho da puta being what you would say to a man.

Neither are nice.
    Cheers for that - so furthers my opinion it is was basically a general curse, and not that big a deal. Demoting her and continuing to attack her work were/are the problems there, imo.

Well I never.

And can't believe people are comparing Jose to Fergie re being a horrible person. I'm a Liverpool fan and I don't think Fergie was a cnut at all. Jose is a vile person.

Yeah he is - the eye gouge, the lies he told about Frisk (which resulted in death threats and retirement), the demotion and attacks on professionalism/work of EC - all horrible acts, with no valid excuse.

Cursing at someone..... meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Wow. So it was her fault because she's a woman. Classy.

Using strawman arguments is also classy. OP never said that in his post.

You do know the OP said biggest club in England and "possibly" a bigger name than Real worldwide. But don't let what they actually posted get in the way of another little barbed one liner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Yeah he is - the eye gouge, the lies he told about Frisk (which resulted in death threats and retirement), the demotion and attacks on professionalism/work of EC - all horrible acts, with no valid excuse.

Cursing at someone..... meh.

also the contstant criticism of Wenger left a sour taste as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Some people are getting confused between goalscoring and attractive football.

If you want to fool yourself into believing that Mourinho's team play entertaining football that is your business, his team's have normally been one of the strongest in the league and as a result they got plenty of goals but for the most part they didn't play attractive football. Even at Madrid with all the attacking talent he had they played a less attractive brand of football than we seen played under Pellegrini and Ancelotti who came before and after him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

duffman13 wrote: »
    Using strawman arguments is also classy. OP never said that in his post.

You do know the OP said biggest club in England and "possibly" a bigger name than Real worldwide. But don't let what they actually posted get in the way of another little barbed one liner.

I think ol' jp might be a little obsessed at this particular moment in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

"An official presentation confirming Mourinho’s appointment could be scheduled for later this week. Mourinho hopes for this as he is scheduled to appear as a lecturer at a post-graduate course in High Performance Football Coaching in Portugal next Monday and Tuesday.
    He's then due to travel to Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix on a pre-arranged sponsorship event. After that Mourinho will return to England, where his sole focus will be preparing for the coming season, and United’s assault on the summer transfer market."

I said it when he was at Chelsea - if you don't think it is a valid question so be it, I couldn't care less. Personally I thought his continued blaming of her (for doing nothing wrong) and, in effect, demoting her, were the far bigger issues. I just don't see cursing at someone (which is what everyone complains about most on this issue) as being that big a deal. Are women delicate flowers that should be treated differently to all the males in their working environment?

It's more than just cursing her.

Also for weird reasons Pep never got bad press for his antics against Bayern medical team which made them quit the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

eagle eye wrote: »

If you want to fool yourself into believing that Mourinho's team play entertaining football that is your business, his team's have normally been one of the strongest in the league and as a result they got plenty of goals but for the most part they didn't play attractive football. Even at Madrid with all the attacking talent he had they played a less attractive brand of football than we seen played under Pellegrini and Ancelotti who came before and after him.

The anti Jose argument that a number of people are putting forward is that his style of play is negative, park the bus, anti football.

That has proven to be false.

Grand, it may not be swashbuckling stuff a la Barcelona but how many teams play that brand of football, never mind play it all the time?

It's simply amusing the time people are taking to run him down now that he is likely to be the next United manager.

I'd be pretty confident that if someone like Hodgson, Moyes or Bruce were in the frame those same people would be tripping over themselves to proclaim it a great appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Has Scholes made any comment on the arrival of Jose?

Jose team plays excellent counter attacking football and that's attractive football. Only in big games he goes full defensive mode.

Also Pellegrini team didn't play better than Jose'. Ancelotti's did by far though. Pellegrini's team looked like 11 players who never played with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Rio's on board
    I'm sat here like as a fan... Excitement.. Suspense.. Waiting for news to break on #MUFC next appointment!!
    12:04 PM - 24 May 2016

I fixed his post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The King is 50 today.

All hail King Eric

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think Varane will want to join us as he knows Mourinho trusts him, as seen in Mourinho's last season (12/13)when he played him a lot, where he was aged 19 for most of the season.

There are claims that Mourinho turned down - Real Madrid, PSG, Roma and China for the United job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

RobertKK wrote: »
    I think Varane will want to join us as he knows Mourinho trusts him, as seen in Mourinho's last season (12/13)when he played him a lot, where he was aged 19 for most of the season.

There are claims that Mourinho turned down - Real Madrid, PSG, Roma and China for the United job.

There were reports yesterday that a bid of 29 million for Varanne was turned down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

The King is 50 today.

All hail King Eric

Thanks zerks... oh, wait...

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Sounds like Zlatan will be Jose's first signing......id defo welcome him aboard for a year or 2...

Ah I'm typing and making a point only. It's not being touchy, or a fallacy, nor is it passive agressive <insert smiley face>. It's something that comes up all the time. The minute someone mentions United as the biggest in the world someone has to knock it down or nitpick it.

That would be because they are not the biggest club in the world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Julez wrote: »
    Thanks zerks... oh, wait...

:p

I seen what you did there :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

In each of his 3 seasons at Real Madrid they scored over 100 goals in each season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Haha loving this thread this morning.

Can see "faux" being my go to word over the coming months.

Its fooking great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

In each of his 3 seasons at Real Madrid they scored over 100 goals in each season

Yeah but were they attractive goals? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The 121 goals they scored in the 2011/12 title-winning season is a La Liga record.

Biggest circus you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm glad he is pissing people off already, they can get used to it, plenty more wums to come from Mourinho yet.

I was always envious of chelsea. I wanted him to take over after fergie left and thought he would. Pool city and arsenal fans are running scared, Im constantly getting words of we have lost our soul, get ready for another boring season, bull****. They know hes as close to a sure thing as there is and are ****in worried so they have to attack from a different angle getting the digs in now to try and put a stain on our possible inevitable success, they know its highly possible he'll win us the league or CL so the only way for them is to try and put a stain on any upcoming and future sucess and as far as being boring or having more negative football next season , Real Madrid scored over 100 goals in each of his 3 seasons and Chelsea with duff robben drogba and lampard in their pomp were a fine exciting side, its all ****e talk. All our rivals are terrified

Pool city and arsenal fans are running scared
    Don't wet yourself too much there Jake :o
    they have to attack from a different angle getting the digs in now to try and put a stain on our possible inevitable success
    Which is it? ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement