Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Use the search function, you will find plenty of quotes from me giving that opinion on Guardiola long before Mourinho was ever linked with us.

yep and i would agree with you on guardiola, not a fan of his

Are you talking about the 2 openers where he got one on one v Hart and missed the penalty. Anyone can have a bad day in front of goal. Ensuring you're getting into positions is the priority.

KDB had the worst game of any professional player against Madrid. You still have him at United in a heart beat?;

2nd leg, never touched the ball, didnt make many runs, walked around a lot, had zero influence on the game. looked like he didnt care.

also in most big games when i have seen ibrahimovic play he has been poor, but would still do a job for us against the likes of sunderland, west brom etc

also de bruyne was just back from a long term injury and is only 24, ibrahimovic is 35 this season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dave stays.:):)

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/735113334647869441

De Gea now focused on staying at #mufc with Mourinho appointment inevitable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »

The good news keeps on rolling.

if true, that is the best news we could possibly get this summer. Cannot be underestimated how good it is to have a world class keeper in the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

CjOmCyYWEAA1Dj2.jpg

Crazy figures....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

This at Anfield in his United jacket would be priceless.

jose.gif

As somebody said before. He's a Cnut but he's our Cnut!

• zerks wrote: »

That's savage news if true
    Said the other day that its the first thing Jose needs to get sorted if he takes over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

1234766.jpg?b64lines=IEVWRVJZVEhJTkcnUyBDT01JTicgVVAKIE1JTEhPVVNFLg==

• Advertisement

There's one forward I would love to see us sign more than any other at the moment - Antoine Griezmann. At 25, he has time to have a quiet introductory season to the EPL in order to adapt, some time in case he doesn't hit the ground running.

With Zlatan at 34, he doesn't really have that time to adapt and we will need him to deliver the goods in his first season. However, with the talent we are talking about, I'm not against the club taking that chance. Especially since Zlatan has credited Jose with having a positive effect on his game in the past. Ibra doesn't usually dare to credit anyone but himself, so this can only be a good thing.

Ideally, I'd be looking at an attack from the following for next season: Martial, Rashford, Rooney, Griezmann, Ibrahimovic. I think there is a good mixture of youth, current form, experience and a mixture of different individual talents there.

Hoping that Zlatan wouldn't have a negative effect on the dressing room, can you imagine the good it could do young heads like Martial and Rashford playing alongside Ibra?

Whether we want to or not, we're going to be competing in four competitions next season. There will be potentially enough games to keep these players happy. There were enough games this season to give an extra striker in the squad games - LVG really did run Martial into the ground. Then when he did, he went about doing the same with his replacement (on the night of Martial's injury) Rashford.

On the team/squad in general, I really don't think it needs as much culling and overhauling as some others think. So many of these players were under-performing under LVG as a result of the shackles he put on them through his system of stripping the player of instinct and trying to get them to be pieces of plastic on his own Subbuteo board.

Take Herrera and Schneiderlin. There are two players who I firmly believe their talents have not been allowed to develop and flourish under LVG's reign. It has been reported that Herrera fell out of favour once or twice along the way for basically trying to play football with his own brain, rather than LVG's.

I am excited for many things going forward, but almost most of all seeing how Jose brings some of these players already in the squad to a whole new level, i.e. their actual level. No doubt the team needs additions anyway, but a supplement rather than an overhaul. A scalpel rather than an axe sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Mourinho teams goal scoring record over full seasons he's had in the league.

Porto - 34 games
    02/03 - 73
    03/04 - 63

Chelsea
    04/05 - 72
    05/06 - 72
    06/07 - 64

Inter
    08/09 - 70
    09/10 - 75

Real Madrid
    10/11 - 102
    11/12 - 102
    12/13 - 121

Chelsea
    13/14 - 71
    14/15 - 73

Here's United's for the same seasons...

02/03 - 74
    03/04 - 64
    04/05 - 58
    05/06 - 72
    06/07 - 83
    08/09 - 68
    09/10 - 86
    10/11 - 78
    11/12 - 89
    12/13 - 86
    13/14 - 64
    14/15 - 62

So to put those figures in some context Jose has managed 10 full seasons in leagues with 38 games. In 7 of those seasons his teams have outscored Manchester United, in 1 it was a draw and in 2 United scored more. His two seasons with Porto they played 2 games less and he only scored one goal less in each than United in those seasons.

If a manager who on Goals Per Game ratio over 12 seasons has outscored United in 9 of them is too defensive then I'll eat my hat.

That's 75% of full seasons his teams have outscored us. 75%!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Jayop wrote: »

Porto - 34 games
    02/03 - 73
    03/04 - 63

Chelsea
    04/05 - 72
    05/06 - 72
    06/07 - 64

Inter
    08/09 - 70
    09/10 - 75

Real Madrid
    10/11 - 102
    11/12 - 102
    12/13 - 121

Chelsea
    13/14 - 71
    14/15 - 73

02/03 - 74
    03/04 - 64
    04/05 - 58
    05/06 - 72
    06/07 - 83
    08/09 - 68
    09/10 - 86
    10/11 - 78
    11/12 - 89
    12/13 - 86
    13/14 - 64
    14/15 - 62

So to put those figures in some context Jose has managed 10 full seasons in leagues with 38 games. In 7 of those seasons his teams have outscored Manchester United, in 1 it was a draw and in 2 United scored more. His two seasons with Porto they played 2 games less and he only scored one goal less in each than United in those seasons.

If a manager who on Goals Per Game ratio over 12 seasons has outscored United in 9 of them is too defensive then I'll eat my hat.

Yeah, but like, he's defensive!!11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,661 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ibrahimovic is an MLS signing. A season where he has his ego fellated by hat tricks against Burnley and Watford.

Thanks but no thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Big isn't always better

15g3rzs.jpg

The tree would disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Writing of Ibrahimovic

Now I've seen everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote: »
    he was rubbish v city, one of the worst performances i have ever seen in a champions league quarter final

wow, not even at the club yet and he's getting the Fellaini treatment from you

whats the reasoning behind this..

A consensus world class player with 95% of football folk..

Did he smash in the backdoors of another girl who friend zoned you....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ibrahimovic is an MLS signing. A season where he has his ego fellated by hat tricks against Burnley and Watford.

Thanks but no thanks.

Should never turn away a chance to sign a proven goal scorer and a winner,

And he has the arrogance to go with it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Those financial figures are crazy.

How can it be justified that Aston Villa 'earned' £66m for that season!!!!

brinty wrote: »

Bangkok doesnt like people over 6ft 3 it seems

• Advertisement

Bangkok doesnt like people over 6ft 3 it seems

No wonder he hates me so ;)
    fecking short arse midget....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

astradave wrote: »
    I wouldn't, I'd be giving out about having to endure 3 years of possession based,performance enhanced, boreball..

Edit: I'd also be ****in gutted that City got Jose.. not everyone thinks the same as you, your shouldoctor know that by now
    Are you saying you didn't like when United play a possession based game under Alex Ferguson?

Should never turn away a chance to sign a proven goal scorer and a winner,

And he has the arrogance to go with it as well.

I just think it's too short term. You need to build the team around him, then start the process of building around a different main striker a year later. Not arguing about his talent at all but I don't see a point in a one season signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Jayop wrote: »

Porto - 34 games
    02/03 - 73
    03/04 - 63

Chelsea
    04/05 - 72
    05/06 - 72
    06/07 - 64

Inter
    08/09 - 70
    09/10 - 75

Real Madrid
    10/11 - 102
    11/12 - 102
    12/13 - 121

Chelsea
    13/14 - 71
    14/15 - 73

02/03 - 74
    03/04 - 64
    04/05 - 58
    05/06 - 72
    06/07 - 83
    08/09 - 68
    09/10 - 86
    10/11 - 78
    11/12 - 89
    12/13 - 86
    13/14 - 64
    14/15 - 62

That's a fairly simplistic analysis in fairness. You probably won't see him going out and trying to play football against other top teams, you'll likely see him concede possession, keep it tight at the back, and wait for them to make a mistake which can be punished on the counter. His is a defensive style.

The flip side is that you won't see him doing an LVG and playing cautiously against cannon fodder, and you can expect to see plenty of goals being scored against lesser opponents.

brinty wrote: »

i would take him, but and its a huge but, he is 35 this season. Stevie G is a few months older, Kaka is younger than him and Ronaldinho is a year older than him... should we sign them as well?? he has been playing in the french league for the last 4 seasons, where for the majority of the season they play games at 60% and win easy, premier league is a different kettle of fish altogether and he is not they type of player who will work hard for the team if we were losing 1 or 2 nil down at watford or somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are you saying you didn't like when United play a possession based game under Alex Ferguson?

I said nothing of the sort ;) there is a huge difference to the style of play of SAF and Pep.. but hey you know that. And if you didn't, you very obviously didn't watch much of either team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I just think it's too short term. You need to build the team around him, then start the process of building around a different main striker a year later. Not arguing about his talent at all but I don't see a point in a one season signing

Seems like the perfect signing considering the circumstances. Utd are very short of strikers after Van Persie, Chico and Welbeck being sold and not replaced by LVG and with Rooney moving into midfield. Without CL football the very best strikers are unlikely to come to Utd this season so Zlatan is the best striker we could probably attract at the moment and we'll only need one season out of him until we're back in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

astradave wrote: »

I want to thumb you (:cool:) twice for the donkey kong phrase alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In rashford and martial we have two high potential, but very young, forwards. A striker signing that will relieve pressure on them now, while being short term to not take a position long term from them, is a good move, arguably. We need another striker, that shouldn't be in doubt. Surely signing a top 26 year old would be potentially worse for the development of martial and rashford. Either or both should develop to inherit the focal point of the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lads im enjoying facebook so much right now :D the lemon brigade are out in force saying im not bitter like but :) yeah your not bitter and im not balding you deluded dippers

In rashford and martial we have two high potential, but very young, forwards. A striker signing that will relieve pressure on them now, while being short term to not take a position long term from them, is a good move, arguably. We need another striker, that shouldn't be in doubt. Surely signing a top 26 year old would be potentially worse for the development of martial and rashford. Either or both should develop to inherit the focal point of the attack.

Yes we do need another striker but signing Ibrahimovic would just kick that can down the road another year. I don't think a year with Ibrahimovic as the main goalscorer really allows them to develop to the point where they are in a position to assume the mantle in 12 months.

I do take the point that he boosts chances of getting into CL and attracting players we need though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That's a fairly simplistic analysis in fairness. You probably won't see him going out and trying to play football against other top teams, you'll likely see him concede possession, keep it tight at the back, and wait for them to make a mistake which can be punished on the counter. His is a defensive style.

The flip side is that you won't see him doing an LVG and playing cautiously against cannon fodder, and you can expect to see plenty of goals being scored against lesser opponents.

Of course it's a simplistic analysis. It';s something I knocked together in 5 minutes looking at Wiki.

Still tells a story though and it proves that he's not the out and out boring defensive manager that some are claiming. That's all I was trying to disprove and I think it does that.

I'm sure all United fans would be happy for us to go out and batter the teams from 6th down by a few goals and win the games against the top sides 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I would actually have no interest in Guardiola at United, give me counter attacking football over Peps boring style any day.
    I was only thinking that myself - I'd always consider Mourinho's style of manic aggression (to quote PO'C) much closer to the fabled Man U style than Guardiola's tiki-taka. We've had some of the latter with Van Gaal and everyone has hated it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Am I missing something. Is jose and Ibrahim confirmed ?

Done deal I reckon.

Amazing that some fans don't want Zlatan. As I've said before he'll be the best striker in the league next year. One of my favourite players so admittedly I'm biased but it's a lazy opinion to write him off as being done. He's in terrific shape and has 2 good years at least yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Thanks but no thanks.

Exactly the teams we dropped heaps of points this year, our record against the top teams was ok.

paulbok wrote: »
    Exactly the teams we dropped heaps of points this year, our record against the top teams was ok.

The way we were set up this year, it wasn't down to the forwards that we dropped those points

• MagicIRL wrote: »
    I want to thumb you (:cool:) twice for the donkey kong phrase alone.
    I would read that back and edit if I were you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Part of me is worried Ed Woodward is going to funk these negotiations up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

wintear wrote: »

That you Headshot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Imagine the meltdowns. I'd be glued to the thread. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

While I can understand peoples reservations about Ibra given his age and that the French league is pants, if we can be guaranteed 15 goals a season out of him between assists and scoring himself then happy days. Given his stats over the last few seasons that is a modest amount but if we had 15 extra goals this season then we probably could have been challenging for the title, top 4 did come down to goal difference after all.

It is of course only a short term measure but we need to focus on a winger, a CB and a CM.

Between Rashers and Tony they will get goals with some decent service, a proven goal scorer for a year or two in Ibra to lighten the load would be a perfect mix of youth and experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Nalz wrote: »
    That you Headshot?

No, I've seen this reference a few times, is it a late lamented forum poster?
    It's just Woodward never comes across as competent in his dealings

jaysus above lads, that last fella we got from Ligue 1 was pure gash...
    why would we bother our arses trying for Ibra... sure he's over the hill...

(tongue firmly in cheek)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

And yet we are rolling in money.....

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

How could this guy fúck up anything!

PAY-Ed-Woodward-leaves-the-Manchester-United-offices-in-London.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

TheTownie wrote: »
    How could this guy fúck up anything!

PAY-Ed-Woodward-leaves-the-Manchester-United-offices-in-London.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

CjOmCyYWEAA1Dj2.jpg

Crazy figures....

Mad that relegated newcastle were shown live more often than the league winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10293141/eric-cantona-says-pep-guardiola-should-have-been-manchester-united-manager

If reports are true, Jose was paid a couple of million around the time Pep was negotiating with city. so, city got the hottest manager available while the best Woodward could do is spend 5 million on another manager to hold on till the end of the season... This guy is not the master negotiator. He's like a kid playing football manager with unlimited funds to waste. Except he's just overpaying for everything.

http://youtu.be/_cZqTKzS2aI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Drumpot wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10293141/eric-cantona-says-pep-guardiola-should-have-been-manchester-united-manager

If reports are true, Jose was paid a couple of million around the time Pep was negotiating with city. so, city got the hottest manager available while the best Woodward could do is spend 5 million on another manager to hold on till the end of the season... This guy is not the master negotiator. He's like a kid playing football manager with unlimited funds to waste. Except he's just overpaying for everything.

http://youtu.be/_cZqTKzS2aI

boring....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement