Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Beginner Learning Bike

• 08-05-2016 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 MiniMatt

Hello,
    Looking for a good bike I could legally drive under a learner's permit. I'm 17, any suggestions? I just need a decent two wheeler to get me from A to B and to finish my tests, and not look completely like a rust bucket on wheels. Right now I'm considering the CBR 125R (10kW).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

As far as price, quality, reliability, and over all fit and finish. I ve had the best luck with anything Honda.

Let us know what you decide and post up a few pics of your new ride

MiniMatt wrote: »
    Hello,
    Looking for a good bike I could legally drive under a learner's permit. I'm 17, any suggestions? I just need a decent two wheeler to get me from A to B and to finish my tests, and not look completely like a rust bucket on wheels. Right now I'm considering the CBR 125R (10kW).

You are pretty limited at 17 man. So looking online you can get the A1 licence at your age, only decent looking bikes I can see you being able to ride are the Ninja 125 and the CBR 125.

A1 Licence from what I can see says nothing about KW just max 125cc. I satnd to be corrected on that though.

You wont get insured on the older Honda NSR bikes or Aprilia RS bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

I have a drag star 125 for sale. It's on Adverts.ie might be suitable. No rust on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Make sure you can get insurance before you spend money on the bike. You may need to do the IBT & pass the A1 test on a school bike to get cover.

carsQhere wrote: »
    Make sure you can get insurance before you spend money on the bike. You may need to do the IBT & pass the A1 test on a school bike to get cover.

No it can be your own bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

No it can be your own bike.

Not if you can't get insurance on a learner permit it can't :)

Point is that you have a much better chance of getting cover on a full licence. Since you can do IBT, training & test on a school bike that might be the best option for the OP if getting cover is an issue.

carsQhere wrote: »
    Not if you can't get insurance on a learner permit it can't :)

Point is that you have a much better chance of getting cover on a full licence. Since you can do IBT, training & test on a school bike that might be the best option for the OP if getting cover is an issue.

Insurance has nothing to do with a learner permit, they do not care. Once you have the learner permit it is up to you to do the IBT, you are still insured but not legal.

If you ride your own bike insured up to do your IBT that is your risk but once you are doing the IBT or test with an instructor you are perfectly legal. I did my test on a school bike and it was the stupidest decision I ever made, failed twice. Better off ding on your own bike that you are used to.

Advertisement