Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Lakes setup

Options
  • 08-05-2016 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all

Am brand new to fly fishing and am taking part in a club outing/competition to the killarney lakes in May.

Was wondering what kind of a fly set up to use.

I have read that the normal tactic would be to use something bushy and black on the top dropper like a bibio or a black pennel and then to have regular winged wet flies on the middle dropper and point (like butcher etc)

Would there be anything to be said for having a gold head nymph on the point in order to "hang" the flies down a bit? Or even a buzzer?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Hey man I saw your thread on the British Fly forum! I'll say again, Black flies!

I wouldn't bother with a nymph or buzzer unless it's a calm day.

My usual "one size fits all" approach to Killarney is a bushy bibio up top, a Diawl Bach in the middle and a spider on the point fished on an intermediate line with long droppers.

If the winds up, pull like a b*tch.

If it goes calm, no need to change flies, just slow down to a handy figure of 8 retrieve and let the Diawl Bach and spider work their magic.

I have yet to go a day without catching with this setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

Thanks for the reply both here and there! Just trying to expand my knowledge on the field

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hi all

Am brand new to fly fishing and am taking part in a club outing/competition to the killarney lakes in May.

Was wondering what kind of a fly set up to use.

I have read that the normal tactic would be to use something bushy and black on the top dropper like a bibio or a black pennel and then to have regular winged wet flies on the middle dropper and point (like butcher etc)

Would there be anything to be said for having a gold head nymph on the point in order to "hang" the flies down a bit? Or even a buzzer?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts

Just as brownTrout siad, black is the way to go, I normally don't use a team of three due to tangles especially if it's windy, I wouldn't use a nymph, I'd use something like these flies, black penell, bibio, Green arse Peter, plus many more there just the main ones! Also a wikingham fancy is one to have also a great flee..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

Thanks for the info lads.

As it turned out it was a lovely sunny day which meant the fishing was very tough. Out of a dozen anglers only one fish above 10 inches was landed.

I landed one small trout on a gold ribbed hares ear nymph and surprisingly three perch, two on a buzzer and one on a little brown spider

Advertisement