Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing/ Affordable housing

Options
  • 08-05-2016 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭

Hello, does anyone here know if these or similar schemes are still going please? I've been renting for years and I feel it's time I finally tried to buy somewhere of my own.
    My problem is that I'm self employed and my partner hasn't worked for a long time due to an injury and then motherhood.
    I've made some quick preliminary enquiries here and there but my circumstances don't seem to suit many banks criteria.
    I've a little money set aside but not much, but what I do have is about 14 years or so of recorded money transfers through the bank to pay for our rent, I'm hoping that might count for something.
    I'm going to give Fingal CC a shout tomorrow to see if they can help me.
    Any advice or tips from here would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hello, does anyone here know if these or similar schemes are still going please? I've been renting for years and I feel it's time I finally tried to buy somewhere of my own.
    My problem is that I'm self employed and my partner hasn't worked for a long time due to an injury and then motherhood.
    I've made some quick preliminary enquiries here and there but my circumstances don't seem to suit many banks criteria.
    I've a little money set aside but not much, but what I do have is about 14 years or so of recorded money transfers through the bank to pay for our rent, I'm hoping that might count for something.
    I'm going to give Fingal CC a shout tomorrow to see if they can help me.
    Any advice or tips from here would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

The affordable housing scheme has been abolished. The social housing scheme is still running but there is a waiting list of a few years I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

billyhead wrote: »
    The affordable housing scheme has been abolished. The social housing scheme is still running but there is a waiting list of a few years I believe.
    Dang, that's not very good news if true. Thank you for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

fyi, under social housing, you do not buy or own a place. Instead, you are allocated a council or voluntary agency house, and get a tenancy for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Also the waiting list for social housing is a lot more than "a few years". It is dependent on your circumstances but 5+ years in most council areas and up to 10 or more in others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

fyi, under social housing, you do not buy or own a place. Instead, you are allocated a council or voluntary agency house, and get a tenancy for life.

There is a tenant purchase scheme but she'll be years on the waiting list.

A new incremental tenant purchase scheme has been introduced under the Housing (Sale of Local Authority Houses) Regulations 2015, with effect from 1 January 2016.

Rules
    To qualify for this new scheme, you must have been getting social housing support for at least a year on the date of application and you must have an annual income of at least €15,000 per year. You may be able to get a local authority mortgage.

You will get a discount of 60%, 50% or 40% off the purchase price of the house, depending on your income. An incremental charge, equivalent to the discount, will be placed on the house. Over a specified period of years, this charge will reduce to nil in annual increments of 2% of the total value of the house, unless you resell the house or breach the conditions of sale during this specified period.

If you sell the house within this specified period, you will have to pay the outstanding incremental charge on the house to the local authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are many councils actually building houses to be sold under this tenant purchase scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Are many councils actually building houses to be sold under this tenant purchase scheme?

The (very few) houses they are building nationwide are built for social housing. The tenant has a right to buy this brand new house after 12 months renting. Unfair to tens of 1000's of people on waiting lists nationwide that the lucky few can get a discount of up to 60% discount on a house in just 12 months.

The old tenant purchase scheme gave the biggest discounts to those renting over 10+ years.

Update
    I'm just off the phone to someone in Fingal CC, there is indeed a possible avenue for me to get help from them to purchase a house.
    The wheels are in motion, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

What's the avenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Posted this in another thread - relevant to here though, to give an idea of chances/timespan:
    "Only 75 local authority houses were built in 2015 - the worst year on record"
    ?width=630&version=2748227
    http://www.thejournal.ie/64-local-authority-social-housing-houses-built-in-2015-alan-kelly-2747473-May2016/

• Advertisement

MrMorooka wrote: »
    What's the avenue?
    It's some system they have set up to help out first time buyers in their constituency.
    They're sending me out some application forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

It's some system they have set up to help out first time buyers in their constituency.
    They're sending me out some application forms.

Any chance you could PM me with the name of the system please? Am calling them tomorrow for the same reason as you. Any pointers would be very helpful, was it swords or blanch you called?

Advertisement