Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snails....yet again

Options
  • 08-05-2016 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Snails are coming over the roof of my extension, and over the garden walls, to eat the blooms off my large-flowered clematis.

I didn't have this problem last year, possibly it wasn't so wet.

Anyway, the flowers seem to attract snails from miles around (possible exaggeration) but they do seem to like the flowers a LOT.

So, having picked 40 off in 2 days, and I'm back at work tomorrow so won't have the time, I've been doing some research:

Beer traps - I'd need an upright one on the roof with a one-way valve, which I guess I could make but don't have any weights to stop it being blown off, or knocked over. But if you've any ideas, let me know!

Copper doesn't seem to work

Coffee grinds they laugh at

Beer traps are inefficient (the time lapse video of slugs going for a drink is hilarious - if you're not a gardener)

It's too rainy for pellets, and anyway they'd just be blown off the roof.

Then I saw this:

and here's the original article.

Anyone tried this?

TLDR: slugs don't like caffeinated soil, plants don't mind it.

Comments

Advertisement