Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulhuddart Village - monument

Options
  • 08-05-2016 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Does anyone know anything about the monument thing in Mulhuddart Village. There was a big crane putting it in place on Saturday and now it's shrouded in a blue tarp.
    Is there going to be an official unveiling at some stage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Unveiling is on the 14th of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Only a blow in so not to knowledgeable about local history but what's the connection with Mulhuddart and 1916? Or are these monuments going up elsewhere too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No idea, I've lived here 29 years now and haven't the foggiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

January wrote: »
    No idea, I've lived here 29 years now and haven't the foggiest.

A possible monument to the brave men of the covert Fortlawn Freedom Fighters ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

http://www.gaa.ie/news/sean-boylan-family-link-the-1916-rising/
    Before the Rising commenced, Boylan asked Pearse could he bring his men into Dublin to take a central part in it. But he was ordered not to go beyond Mulhaddart and instead given the task of keeping communications to and from the City open.

Boylan’s subsequent involvement in the Rising during Easter week summed up the confusion that was created by Eoin MacNeill’s countermanding order to cancel the Rebellion. Having dispersed his men, Boylan struggled to gather them all together again, but was determined to do all he could with what limited men and arms he could muster.

He gave the order to destroy the railway bridge at Clonsilla and made frustrating and time-consuming efforts to meet up with the Maynooth volunteers before proceeding with his men to Mulhuddart where they commandeered Tyrrellstown House. There he was ordered to await instructions, but none ever came until they were told that the surrender had taken place.

When Boylan and his three brothers, Ned, Joe, and Peter eventually made it back to Dunboyne, they were arrested and taken to Richmond Barracks where they were imprisoned with leaders of the Rising like Eamon Ceannt, Sean McDermott, and John McBride. Boylan was the last man to shake Eamon Ceannt’s hand before Ceannt was taken out and executed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Only a blow in so not to knowledgeable about local history but what's the connection with Mulhuddart and 1916? Or are these monuments going up elsewhere too?

I'm in the area about 35 years, I've heard stories of tunnels between Mulhuddart cemetery and Blanchardstown that were used during the rising (no evidence of this) but there are plenty of IRA/IRB graves in Mulhuddart

Charles Stuart Parnell visited Parslicktown house during the famine about 35 years before the rising (Hence the name of the Parnell estate beside Parslicktown house) ... http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/big-houses-of-ireland/parslickstown-house/the-great-famine-and-char/ - The Carr descendants still live in Mulhuddart afaik

That's as much as I know, hopefully more will be added to this thread, I like local history :)

Mulhuddart House aka The Shanty aka Paidi og's back in the day ...
    12038490_1626786027585494_6065816802005921639_n.jpg?oh=5b99d5e3dc5b6eb1cb50baca8d98f952&oe=57E32766&__gda__=1470386075_d5f248540ad67d08ad5c5e6feb7facaa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

One thing im sure this monument wont mention is the children killed during the 'rising'

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I'm in the area about 35 years, I've heard stories of tunnels between Mulhuddart cemetery and Blanchardstown that were used during the rising (no evidence of this) but there are plenty of IRA/IRB graves in Mulhuddart

Charles Stuart Parnell visited Parslicktown house during the famine about 35 years before the rising (Hence the name of the Parnell estate beside Parslicktown house) ... http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/big-houses-of-ireland/parslickstown-house/the-great-famine-and-char/ - The Carr descendants still live in Mulhuddart afaik

That's as much as I know, hopefully more will be added to this thread, I like local history :)

Mulhuddart House aka The Shanty aka Paidi og's back in the day ...
    12038490_1626786027585494_6065816802005921639_n.jpg?oh=5b99d5e3dc5b6eb1cb50baca8d98f952&oe=57E32766&__gda__=1470386075_d5f248540ad67d08ad5c5e6feb7facaa

That's a cool picture of The Shanty. I love photos like that and comparing it to now. Thanks for putting that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Lovin the pic! Any idea on year of snap ?

• Advertisement

There are some posters up in the area detailing the plans for Saturday. It seems to be a Sinn Fein event. Starting at Mulhuddart Cemetery at 1pm and walking down. "A fun day for all the family! the sign says as well as displaying a guy with a bayonette!!

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    There are some posters up in the area detailing the plans for Saturday. It seems to be a Sinn Fein event. Starting at Mulhud dart Cemetery at 1pm and walking down. "A fun day for all the family! the sign says as well as displaying a guy with a bayonette!!

Free balaclavas on the day so everyone can feel part of the party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

"A fun day for all the family! the sign says as well as displaying a guy with a bayonette!!

Perhaps the volunteers used these during the rising
    Free balaclavas on the day so everyone can feel part of the party

I dont think these were used during the rising
    One thing im sure this monument wont mention is the children killed during the 'rising'

AFAIK Glasnevin's new monument included every man woman and child's name both Irish and British,
    This is a monument for the 100th anniversary of the 1916 rising, It is what it is.
    dodzy wrote: »
    Lovin the pic! Any idea on year of snap ?
    Pic is from a facebook page ... Blanchardstown past and present ... 1950's?

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Perhaps the volunteers used these during the rising

I dont think these were used during the rising

AFAIK Glasnevin's new monument included every man woman and child's name both Irish and British,
    This is a monument for the 100th anniversary of the 1916 rising, It is what it is.

Pic is from a facebook page ... Blanchardstown past and present ... 1950's?

You might want to brush up on sinn fein parades

http://www.thejournal.ie/republican-sinn-fein-oconnell-street-2732008-Apr2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

That's RSF, not the ones organising the monument. You might want to brush up on that

BohsCeltic wrote: »

That's RSF, not the ones organising the monument. You might want to brush up on that

innocence is a beautiful thing. Take a few snaps on the day and put them up here.

I went along to the event today. There were a few really nice bits. Songs and readings. I could have done with out the political speeches, much too republican for my tastes, and I left as they were re-inacting the executions. But the monument itself is very nice and a lovely addition to our village so well done those who made it happen.

I went along to the event today. There were a few really nice bits. Songs and readings. I could have done with out the political speeches, much too republican for my tastes, and I left as they were re-inacting the executions. But the monument itself is very nice and a lovely addition to our village so well done those who made it happen.

Were there many there? The parade passed by me and there weren't many people out along the short route to the village so I'm presuming anyone interested was waiting at the monument.

Yeah there were probably a few hundred people there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Re-enacting executions, seriously? So much for billing it as a family event (on the poster with the guy carrying a rifle) - come on kids lets go watch the shinners pretend to be Brits pretending to kill some Irishmen. Family entertainment indeed!

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    Re-enacting executions, seriously? So much for billing it as a family event (on the poster with the guy carrying a rifle) - come on kids lets go watch the shinners pretend to be Brits pretending to kill some Irishmen. Family entertainment indeed!

Its about getting the less smarter people all riled up so they become members for sinn fein. Nothing like throwing stuff like that at our nearest neighbour to rally the troops ! ! Ignoring somthing in thé région of 14 million uk citizens are at least 10% irish in heritage.

Advertisement