Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you swap from a car to a Motorbike policy?

Options
  • 08-05-2016 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I have a car and motorbike full license. Im in the middle of a Car insurance policy. Is it possible to sell the car and get a bike and just swap the policy over?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

I have a car and motorbike full license. Im in the middle of a Car insurance policy. Is it possible to sell the car and get a bike and just swap the policy over?
    Hi Digital Society
    We would only cover cars under our Private Motor Vehicle policies. You would have to take out a separate Motorcycle policy to cover your bike. If your car is insured with us you can cancel your policy at any stage. Hope this helps you.
    Regards

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Hi Digital Society
    We would only cover cars under our Private Motor Vehicle policies. You would have to take out a separate Motorcycle policy to cover your bike. If your car is insured with us you can cancel your policy at any stage. Hope this helps you.
    Regards

Seán
    Ah right i thought it was a 12 month contact no?

Whats the catch to cancelling? Is there a large termination fee? My quote is ~ 600 on the car if its a %.

So i could go for 3 months on the bike, Cancel and swap over to the car and vice versa. 

The bike is better when its warm but painful to commute over the Christmas in cold. 

To make things more confusing i have another car policy with herself on another car. 
    I assume it wont affect the NCB or anything on the other policy if i cancel as im still going on that.

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

Hi Digital Society
    Regards

Seán
    Ah right i thought it was a 12 month contact no?

Whats the catch to cancelling? Is there a large termination fee? My quote is ~ 600 on the car if its a %.

So i could go for 3 months on the bike, Cancel and swap over to the car and vice versa. 

The bike is better when its warm but painful to commute over the Christmas in cold. 

To make things more confusing i have another car policy with herself on another car. 
    I assume it wont affect the NCB or anything on the other policy if i cancel as im still going on that.
    Hi Digital Society

We do only offer 12 month policies but you can cancel at any point during the year. If you cancel your car policy and start cover on your motorbike on the same day we would only charge for the number of days you were covered and the administration fee for cancelling would not be charged. If you cancel your policy but do not take out a replacement policy with us you would be charged inline with your cancellation rates outlined on page six of your policy booklet. If you want to PM me with your policy details I can give you more information on these rates.

We would accept your No Claims Discount as long as it was earned in the last two years. If you insure your bike with us we would only accept a No Claims Discount which was earned on Motorbike policy.

Regards 
    Seán  

Advertisement