Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subscribing

Options
  • 08-05-2016 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I subscribed a few days ago to the month long subscription.
    Haven't heard anything since, is all OK?

Thanks,
    P
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Howdy, there is an issue with the subs coming through automatically from Paypal but I have added that to your account for you effective from today. Thanks for subscribing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Thank you kindly!
    P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Me please Niamh :D

When you've a minute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Hi Niamh,

I'm only mad for a name change :)

Does a user need to wait for you to activate the subscription or does it normally automatically kick in when the payment transaction on Paypal has completed? Because I want to change my username, but I don't see the option to change.

Granted, I only just did complete the transaction there a little while ago, but I do remember some time last year (or the year before) paying for the subscription and then not being able to figure out how to do the name change - like, I just didn't see it??

Also, prolly a dumb question, but in terms of the name change and the custom avatar and tag-line, do these changes to the appearance of your profile persist when the subscription period has expired? (Scarleh for even asking that one - should have gone anon for that :) )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's a Bank Holiday weekend, so Niamh may not get to this until Tuesday. Rather than keep you waiting for the answers, perhaps I can help until she's back in work.

At the moment, there is an issue with Subscribers not being automatically added to the Subscriber's group following payment. This has to be done manually, by Niamh, until they've resolved the issue. As soon as she sees these requests, she acts on them immediately. She should see it on Tuesday and get you sorted then and there.

When Niamh has verified your Subscriber payment, you are added to the Subscriber's usergroup, and you will be able to access the Subscriber's forum (click the link when Niamh verifies you on Tuesday and you should have full access). Just start a thread in there asking for your username to be changed, and one of the site Admins will get to it as soon as possible. They're usually very quick with username changes, as they're fairly straightforward to do.

It doesn't matter if your subscription expires; you still get to keep your new username, but you lose your custom avatar and tag line, as you are no longer a Subscriber, so those fields/values are reset to profile defaults. This means a random avatar is assigned to you by the system when your subscription expires, and your tag line resets to "Registered User".

I think this answers everything. As soon as you see Niamh's reply here, you're free to head straight on over to the Subscriber's forum for that name change.

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Yup, thanks Shield, that covers it all for now :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I've had the problem the last two times that my three month recurring subscription expired in that I had to request my subscription be manually activated but this time I haven't been billed despite it being a recurring subscription and there being money in my account :confusion:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I thought you could keep your custom avatar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I thought you could keep your custom avatar?

I thought I'd read it alright...
    Dav wrote: »
    I'm going to have a look at this, I thought that your Avatar remained too (and I think it should tbh), so leave it with me...

5 years ago now...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056428057

Avatars, proper perks for subscribers and being able to pay by something other than paypal....3 things mentioned as coming soon. The first 2 have popped up multiple times since and nothings changed which is really :confused: especially with regard to subscribers as it could've been a nice little revenue stream for very little effort if anyone could've been bothered.

For the record, and not that it's anyone's business, I closed my account because I no longer wish to be associated with ever having contributed any money to the site. I'm still happy enough to use the site, and stand over everything I have said on this account or the last, but I now consider myself a 'user' whereas before I was a 'member'.
    Dav wrote: »
    That honestly makes no sense to me - you don't want people to know that you once helped up pay some bills, but you still want to avail of the service we offer?

Made no sense to me at the time either but does now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I thought I'd read it alright...

5 years ago now...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056428057

Avatars, proper perks for subscribers and being able to pay by something other than paypal....3 things mentioned as coming soon. The first 2 have popped up multiple times since and nothings changed which is really :confused: especially with regard to subscribers as it could've been a nice little revenue stream for very little effort if anyone could've been bothered.

Must be a glitch. On my previous account my custom avatar stayed with me after I stopped subscribing. That was in mid 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I had a custom avatar that I put up when I subscribed for a month just after the Charlie Hebdo attacks (it was a Charlie Hebdo Mohamad cartoon face), and it was still there until I removed it myself last week

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Custom avatars aren't lost when a sub expires, this was changed a few years back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

In this case, my apologies. I think I missed that Memo. I was working off the info that _Tombstone_ linked to above.

Spear, do we have anything official on that, either in the site's FAQ or in our sooper seekrit Mod's forum?
    Spear wrote: »
    Custom avatars aren't lost when a sub expires, this was changed a few years back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Perhaps this thread could be stickied for any users having issues?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Shield wrote: »
    In this case, my apologies. I think I missed that Memo. I was working off the info that _Tombstone_ linked to above.

Spear, do we have anything official on that, either in the site's FAQ or in our sooper seekrit Mod's forum?

Just a post from Dav around here somewhere.

Edit: this was when Ronan made the change for this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83517890&postcount=17

Hi Niamh,

I'm only mad for a name change :)

Does a user need to wait for you to activate the subscription or does it normally automatically kick in when the payment transaction on Paypal has completed? Because I want to change my username, but I don't see the option to change.

Granted, I only just did complete the transaction there a little while ago, but I do remember some time last year (or the year before) paying for the subscription and then not being able to figure out how to do the name change - like, I just didn't see it??

Also, prolly a dumb question, but in terms of the name change and the custom avatar and tag-line, do these changes to the appearance of your profile persist when the subscription period has expired? (Scarleh for even asking that one - should have gone anon for that :) )
    I've added that subscription to your account for you now, thank you :)
    I've had the problem the last two times that my three month recurring subscription expired in that I had to request my subscription be manually activated but this time I haven't been billed despite it being a recurring subscription and there being money in my account :confusion:
    I just had a look at Paypal there, a payment came through from you on 3rd June so I've added it to your account for you now, effective from today. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Sorry for bumping but Im having the same issue.

Can you please have a look when you get a chance.

Cheeeers.

Hi there, I have added the subscription to your account for you now. The ñ in your usename wasn't displaying properly on PP (see below) so it's possible that the system couldn't match up your account to the payment. I'll get someone to have a look just in case. Thanks for subbing!

471125.png

Advertisement