Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midwifery as a mature student

Options
  • 08-05-2016 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm looking for information on applying for midwifery as a mature student. I am 23 this year so I would be applying next year in the hope to start in Sep 2017.

How likely would it be for me to get a space on a course and is there anything I can do now to better my chance of being successful? Also when applying as a mature student do I get the option of putting down preferences of different colleges (e.g midwifery in trinity as no.1, midwifery in ucd as no. 2 etc) to better my chance of getting a place or can I only apply for one course in one college?

Any other information would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You can apply for as many courses on the CAO as you like so yes, No. 1 Trinity midwifery, no. 2 ucd midwifery etc is what you should do.

The aptitude test is numerical, verbal reasoning and job simulation so if you think you need to study those then I would, the numerical stuff is mostly fractions, unitary method, area, time speed and distance, percentages and then the usual addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Verbal is paragraphs to read the statements on each paragraph asking if they are true, false or cannot say. Job simulation are paragraphs on situations you could end up in as a student and then you have to pick what you would do out of a series of answers.

Have a look at the Nursing and Midwifery board website -http://www.nmbi.ie/Student for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dreoilin

Hi, Avein!

I've applied for the mature midwifery courses in most of the universities this year, Trinity and UCD being my first and second choices. Anxiously awaiting the results on July 6th!

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to secure a place in a mature midwifery course in Ireland other than prepare yourself as best as you can for the assessment test.

It's structured and you can familiarise yourself with it beforehand. The universities you apply to will consider your application solely on your score.

You can apply for 10 courses - just rank them in order of preference.

It's a pity there are so few mature places in nursing/midwifery courses. 15 in Trinity this year.

Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Yum mum 80

Hi
    Just looking at your post! How are you getting on, do you still want to study midwifery? I am a mature student at the moment studing nursing/ midwifery in college in bray! I will sit the assessment test next April and apply to cao tru the mature student and on my results of college this yr ;) so like you this time next yr I hope I will be either in trinity or ucd!! ;) I am doing this course so I can prepare myself for the real deal next year! 18 years out of school so gettin back to studying is gona be hard;) any good luck

Advertisement