Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLR "Bay 10K" 2016 Registration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

uvox wrote: »

Its not a great race in fairness, too crowded at the start and then alot of hills for first 5-6k, very hard to get the pacing going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Its not a great race in fairness, too crowded at the start and then alot of hills for first 5-6k, very hard to get the pacing going.
    I don't think the presence of hills determines whether a race is great or not, just whether a race has the potential for a PB. I have always liked this one, though my opinions may be coloured somewhat by the fact that it's on the stomping grounds of my youth. Crowds have never been a problem for me either (in fact, it can be a bit lonely because of the R&R, taking place the same day), but sure we all look for different things in races. Might be back this year to try and run a DLR PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Just FYI - the R&R has been moved to the following weekend this year:

http://www.runrocknroll.com/dublin/the-weekend/schedule-of-events/

Might make it easier for people to do both!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Here's last year's thread, I expect to attend meetings from mid June, so will be in a position to answer questions from then.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057409820

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Here's last year's thread, I expect to attend meetings from mid June, so will be in a position to answer questions from then.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057409820

As i said the main problem I had with it last year was the start, my first km took about 4:45 due to the crowds, so maybe a wave start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

As i said the main problem I had with it last year was the start, my first km took about 4:45 due to the crowds, so maybe a wave start.

Perhaps if they didnt allow those pushing buggies up the front at the start it might be a little easier !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Its a great race other than the start where its way too congested, unless you push yourself right to the front.

Phoole wrote: »
    Its a great race other than the start where its way too congested, unless you push yourself right to the front.
    ...and by all means you should... If you're confident that you'll finish in the top 20. There wouldn't be any congestion if people lined-up in the same order in which they finished. If you* push up to the front and don't finish at the front, you're part of the problem. It's not the race that causes congestion, it's the participants (unless there happens to be a specific pinch-point).

('one is', not 'you are').

...and by all means you should... If you're confident that you'll finish in the top 20. There wouldn't be any congestion if people lined-up in the same order in which they finished. If you* push up to the front and don't finish at the front, you're part of the problem. It's not the race that causes congestion, it's the participants (unless there happens to be a specific pinch-point).

('one is', not 'you are').

In fairness the race should have waves or time zones. People are identifying the issues, if the race doesn't want to know, it will lose the numbers. Bad press spreads quickly

In fairness the race should have waves or time zones. People are identifying the issues, if the race doesn't want to know, it will lose the numbers. Bad press spreads quickly

The race does have time zones and participants are asked to select an appropriate category during the entry process and coloured numbers are issued to reflect this.
    On the day participants are encouraged to start in their correct zone through a combination of signage and stewarding, but this is not over policed.
    http://dlrbay10k.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2016-fstart.jpg

On this course total numbers are restricted and a wave start is not an option as the 1st k and last k use the same stretch of road. So the leaders are back through the start line in around 28 mins in which time the gantry needs to have been dismantled.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The race does have time zones and participants are asked to select an appropriate category during the entry process and coloured numbers are issued to reflect this.
    On the day participants are encouraged to start in their correct zone through a combination of signage and stewarding, but this is not over policed.

On this course total numbers are restricted and a wave start is not an option as the 1st k and last k use the same stretch of road. So the leaders are back through the start line in around 28 mins in which time the gantry needs to have been dismantled.

Last year there was no timezones marked out at the start, if there were it wasn't very visible. Wasn't just me that missed it, but loads others were complaining also.

The announcer didn't mention time zones either, spent most the time talking about the weather though.

Its an area that needs to improve, a small thing that could make a big difference.

Last year there was no timezones marked out at the start, if there were it wasn't very visible. Wasn't just me that missed it, but loads others were complaining also.

The announcer didn't mention time zones either, spent most the time talking about the weather though.

Its an area that needs to improve, a small thing that could make a big difference.

I'll pass that on re communication, the zones were marked as you entered from Newtownsmith green.

Absolutely. Just pointing out that pushing to the front is not the answer. It is the opposite of the answer. It is the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Hi,

Have many registered for this race as haven't heard/seen much mentioned Even FB page seems to last have been updated in April? Do you still collect your number in Royal Marina on the Sat or Sun before the race?

Looking forward to it anyway as think it's a lovely if tough course given the hills at the start :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Perhaps if they didnt allow those pushing buggies up the front at the start it might be a little easier !!!

Late response to this as I am only catching up on this thread now, but some people pushing buggies (if allowed in a given race) have every right to be towards the front... I think a wider, more sensible approach by participants is the way to go - that approach being.... BE REALISTIC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

Killerz wrote: »
    Late response to this as I am only catching up on this thread now, but some people pushing buggies (if allowed in a given race) have every right to be towards the front... I think a wider, more sensible approach by participants is the way to go - that approach being.... BE REALISTIC!

I've never seen buggies up the front for a biggish race and would have no problem with them if the person has a clear path in front of them and is a decent runner otherwise its just like pushing a lawn mower towards people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

joesoap5 wrote: »
    I've never seen buggies up the front for a biggish race and would have no problem with them if the person has a clear path in front of them and is a decent runner otherwise its just like pushing a lawn mower towards people.

They're rarely seen up front as they are usually banned in races, which is up to the organiser. Headphones are also usually banned and are a much bigger danger to others. We usually see a fair amount of buggy runners at parkrun (where they are welcomed) and the runner would take good care in order to protect other participants and their own kids. I think the lawn mower analogy is a bit extreme.

My point in my first reply was in response to a blanket comment on buggies - if buggies are permitted, a participant has every right to take the buggy with them and like all race participants, act responsibly... And position themselves appropriately at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Can you transfer your registration to another person? My wife registered but can't do it anymore. Can I take her place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I see the have increased the number of entries into the first pen this year. Up to a 100 this year. Think it was in around 30 last year. Although I am looking forward to see 100 runners all complete the course in under 35 minutes.

Also the toilets at the start line have moved also. They are the other side of the green now. Hopefully a few more of them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Registered for this last night. How tough is the first few km's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

colin32 wrote: »
    Registered for this last night. How tough is the first few km's?

As described by Beepbeep 69 last year, :

Course is pretty straight forward, fully closed roads and well marshaled on the 60+ junctions [img]http://static.boards.ie/b//assets/img/sceditor/emoticons/shocked.png?v= cf4b3e00205fdacef925729204a6cf2b[/img]

1-3k relatively flat.
    Starting at Newtownsmith, make your way up past Teddy's Ice Cream and onto Queen's Rd.
    Turn down onto the lower road at the yacht club and continue until Crofton Tce, where you turn back onto the main road.
    Keeping going until Seafield Ave and then turn up to the Monkstown Rd.

3k - 5.5k you are making your way up to the high point, but it's not consistent you have as much flat as up in that section.
    Up into Monkstown, turn up Carrickbrennan Rd at the church, left at the roundabout onto Mounttown Upper and then Lower.
    From there Glenageary Rd (halfway) up to the Sallynoggin Roundabout.

5.5k - 9.2k pretty quick, mainly downhill with a few flat sections
    Down to Killiney Towers, Albert Rd, right turn at St. Catherine's, back through Eton Pk and down to Glasthule, turn down Link Rd at you are back at the start.

9.2k - Finish back through the start line and a cheeky little climb up past Teddy's Ice Cream Parlor then the last 400-500 is flat if not slightly downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Anyone know how long reg is open for this? Have to register 4 of us and don't have the £££ tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Hi All,

Was just wondering if anybody could advise of a suitable place to park for this? Public Transport not an option unfortunately. Can't find any info on the website.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Antwerp wrote: »
    Hi,

Have many registered for this race as haven't heard/seen much mentioned Even FB page seems to last have been updated in April? Do you still collect your number in Royal Marina on the Sat or Sun before the race?

Looking forward to it anyway as think it's a lovely if tough course given the hills at the start :)

Thanks
    I emailed them to find out. Number collection is in The Royal Marine at the following times:
    Sunday 11.00-17.30
    Monday 8.30-9.30

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Great, thanks for that KJ

Chadhogan usually you can park on streets within the town just not down by the Ferry terminal as it (and the roads which form part of the race) will be closed off. There is also a carpark under Royal Marine hotel. Btw just to warn you the race starts down by Teddys ice cream shop which is probably 1km from the Ferry terminal just so you can factor that in.

Best if luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Question for BeepBeep67
    Are they back to the original t-shirt supplier?
    I know there was an issue with the sizing with the supplier they used last year.

Hello All,

I been away since last week warm weather training drinking :p

To answer a few questions:

@Mousewar - can you contact the office info@dlrbay10k.ie regarding the transfer?

@Extrasupervery - online entry open until Saturday night, manual entries available on Sunday at the Royal Marine Hotel.

@ChadHogan - never any issue with parking, there is usually plenty of on street parking and other managed car parks available on the day (consider how quickly you need to leave after the event and where you park when deciding where to park - there will be road closures in place).

@frash - I haven't seen the t shirt in the flesh, but I'm told the sizing issue was rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Thanks a million BeepBepp, all registered now just looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Collected number & tshirt earlier. The sizes are a little off.

I'm usually a large to X large, so went with the X large option, and it's like a compression top its that tight on me. It's going straight in the recycling bag

Looking forward to the run tomorrow, hopefully the weather is decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Great day today with near perfect conditions.

Managed to get a PB unexpectedly given the hilly course.
    51:40

Must find a flatter 10km race soon to aim for a sub 50.

Advertisement