Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Nice trip/race report and sounds like a great holiday overall. I have fond memories of a very brief time spent in Colorado, it's an amazing part of the world. What went wrong on the run though? You were well trained and had set yourself up well. FWIW I wouldn't discount the travel part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't know if there's an answer. I had some mental doubts early on. It was only when I was writing this up that I looked closely at the paces in Garmin Connect and that glut of 10:XX miles which wasn't the intention, disappointing. I'm not sure what I was at for that chunk of the races. I hadn't slept well the night before, I had somewhat adapted to the time zone OK, don't think it was that. There were people playing Irish trad music at one point which was fun to see.

Didn't enjoy being away alone for this long, so I may go back to group activity holidays in the future. That said, still would like to do another international marathon or two. Oddly, one of the hike leaders probably a touch younger than I hadn't heard of Strava. We also chatted about Metallica going to war against Napster, back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sounds like there isn't an answer alright! 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Summer update.

Some of the roads in Colorado were in an awful state. Freeways were generally in good nick. Some main type roads I'd say would be the equivalent of 80km/h in Ireland were feckin' abysmal. Up and around Nederland the roads were pretty good. The Cincinnati Luas is free. It's got a mixed history as some mayors supported it, whilst others opposed. Also - yuck alert - pretty sure there was a set of someone's underwear under the seat in the rental car I picked up, didn't notice until I was at Walmart. Much hand sanitiser was used.

I didn't run much in May, planned to take a few weeks off. Next run was June 2, with the club. Something felt a bit off in how I was feeling. First test was negative (June 6), then I had a temperature and inevitably tested positive for Covid. Nausea, temperature, cough, sore throat, fatigue - difficult to sleep. I'm pretty sure a trip into Dublin city centre is where I got it, either on the bus or Stephen's Green shopping centre. Next run was June 18.

Had a planned outpatient procedure (investigation) in late May, then again in early August. A little uncomfortable. Nothing conclusive. Next appointment is in November.

Did the Sport Ireland parkrun in early July, fairly warm morning. Friendly people. Mostly (or all) on grass.

I'm not following any plan at the moment, there are various groups in my club training for DCM which I've signed up to volunteer at. I'm on the 3:30-3:45 group, probably a bit beyond me and also the 4 hour+ one, so I dip in and out. Really just keeping the legs turning over and it's been great, both a group of 12 or so, or sometimes just 3 of us. One we started at 8:30pm and we were finished just before 10, iirc. Returned via a part of Rush I hadn't run before. That was just over 9 miles and my longest run in a while. Other sessions have been hill reps or 800m repeats. The 4 hour group have been doing a few tempo Thursdays, followed by a dip in the sea. Mostly first time marathoners in this group, so I've given the odd bit of advice about easy days and am interested to see how they get on I was asked if I'd join the club committee. I've not yet said yes or no. At the moment with other volunteering that's going to ramp up in Sept (and likely evening Zooms, last year we did 27 formal ones in 6 months and then more in early 2022) I don't think I'd have the time and have no wish to hit burn out again. That, and I'm thinking of heading back to college (only an idea and I've very mixed feelings).

Did marshalling at the Fingal 10k, I was near the scouts who were in good spirits. Was finished before 11am and the car said it was 26C.

Did Macroom castle parkrun for the August bank holiday. Small, only 22 runners, but they said it was one of the first to emerge outside of Dublin. Heading to the Lake District in October, with parkrun in mind. 2023 - perhaps a marathon in Utah and parkrun in Texas.

Not yet back to running 5 days a week.

Yo...

Not been doing much mileage or specific training. Continued to dip into the club's DCM training over the summer in the run up to it and struggled with some of the faster stuff, regardless of the marathon group I was on (4 hour or 3:30-3:45). I'm putting that down to not having much aerobic base as I've not exactly worked on building that up over the summer with any consistency. Nor have I run more than 11 miles, generally lacking a routine around running because I've not followed any plan lately. Some time ago I may have come up with the nickname for the 4 hour club group - A's Assassins which someone duly wrote on the messages wall (board/thingy) in the expo, not me as I didn't go there.

Did a few other parkruns - Navan, Father Collins, Poppintree, Waterstown, Hartstown. All friendly. Dropped over to Decathlon after Poppintree. Two primary school age girls ran away with Navan (18:XX) and looked comfortable. And I did Ardgillan for the second time overall - the last time was pre-Covid. Easily one of the most peaceful parts of north Dublin on a Saturday morning when the sun is there. Do it. Cancelled a parkrun-centric trip to the Lake District due to a job interview which didn't work out. I hope to do Vicarstown soon as I'll be nearby for a conference. Changed age category and am no longer 30-39 and did some Ardgillan hills on turning 40. I was in Belfast for work recently and unfortunately because the conference was so full on I couldn't squeeze in a NI parkrun as there was a research paper on at 9am...turned out to be excellent. Have become closer with a family member who is quite ill and a few years younger.

DCM 2022 Volunteering

Did not sleep well the two nights prior and thought I had a temperature on Saturday night.

12 of us from Lusk AC were at the mile 26 marker, 400 metres to go. All was quiet early on, then a decent enough sized crowd started to build. I could see on the DCM Twitter where the leaders were and could hear the odd update via radio that one of the guys had, pretty much "first wheelchair will be here in 11 minutes." The first runner looked good, the guy who came third looked a bit tired. I completely forgot about my phone until much, much later which was nice.

Saw a few people in a bad way. Two also throwing up, one I thought was overcome with emotion, but more so stomach issues and two who raced in bare feet. The crowd really got behind those who were struggling. One from my club looked quite out of sorts altogether, seems to have done 3:39. I think it was her first DCM as she had only did virtual. I didn't recognise anyone from boards, however we were managing the flow of athletes and people wanting to crossover and alternating things. As our leader said, we made it look easy. I probably need to get my eyes tested again as the names on the bibs were quite small and others could read them sooner. Also, I can't recall what it's like at the mile 26 marker from an athlete's perspective. If you were at our position and in front of the big sponsor banner then you've no line of sight of the finish. I and someone else from the club made it into one of the official social media videos, plus one of our athletes made it into the Irish Independent, lovely photo. Lots of other great moments, of course and Whatsapp has raised plenty of smiles, messing and slagging too. Great to see the reports back again here, novices and more.

After some food I went to see The Unthanks at the NCH, who had the audience in the palm of their hands more than once. On the walk over a stranger said thanks for volunteering. In contrast to the music, I went to see the Banshees of Inisherin on the bank holiday Monday and didn't get the hype at all.

I'll see about DCM again in 2024, hopefully. I'm not sure I can make much of a dent in 3:51. My sleep is still pretty bad. The Equinox marathon in Alaska for Sept 2023 is still on my mind. I emailed and they said international entrants are welcome.

There's also this.

Dear TBO,

Congratulations! You are now registered for the Connemarathon 2023 - Ultra Marathon | 39.3 miles - Ultra Marathon.

For now, it's base biscuits and then the plan from the Conn website. I'm viewing this as an adventure and of course, the location.

Oh, if you've any interest in hormonal stuff, I've just ordered Hormones, Health and Human Potential: A Guide to Understanding Your Hormones to Optimise Your Health & Performance, Nicky Keay - can't go wrong with Nicky Keay's work.

• Advertisement

Unofficial base mish mash, AKA mostly easy.

October 24-30. A few short runs, Friday was 7. Nothing on Sunday due to DCM. We were advised not to get involved in any medical situations. And if anything of a public order nature came up, we were advised to signal the co-ordinator if we needed a Garda. This did not arise.

16.7 miles for the week.

Oct 31-Nov 6. Easy Tuesday, easy Weds with 6 hill reps, Friday was an evening trip to the our Olympic Training Centre for S&C at a mere €2. It consists of two sheds and a decent amount gear, great set up. Apparently Mick Clohisey was impressed with it when he visited in September. We did a few circuits, good craic - only 5 of us. Soft Malahide parkrun on Saturday and 10.58 easy miles on Sunday. Nice morning for it, first test of the hydration vest - all grand. 

28.14 miles.

Nov 7-13. Bob Dylan* on Monday. Tuesday easy post-work run cut short, had to leg it back to the office to use the facilities. Weds - conferencing again in person. Really good. Thurs - I did the Kilkenny castle guided tour and I'd highly recommend it. Friday, headed out from the Airbnb and did an easy loop of just over 7 miles. Over by the Glanbia plant, the river Nore and Ballyragget. The radio was talking about the unusual weather for November, it was mild. Saturday was Kilkenny parkrun which was a lovely place, then drove home. The frequent autumn leaves across the week were a highlight too. Sunday was 12.15 via the usual Baldungan route.

25.79 miles.

*He started at 8pm. The main lights were up and we were out the door before 10pm. No encore. He doesn't interact much with the audience, so no "Hey Dublin", etc. Doesn't explain the songs. Almost thought he wasn't even going to introduce his band, but he did late on. He said thank you a few times and seemed in good form. I didn't recognise anything, apart from Gotta Serve Somebody. I wouldn't know much of his stuff, tbh. Phones were locked in a pouch, you could take it with you, but couldn't open it until the staff unlocked them afterwards, This worked well and it was good to see people concentrate on the music.

Nov 14-20. Forerunner 235 must have got knocked on whilst I was sleeping, I think or else when I was in town as it said 4 miles and 7 hours 21, the battery was down to near zip. I'm guessing it was during sleep. Think it only charges to 95% now, can't complain. Tues was Chris Thile at the NCH who was exceptional. Have done more music things this year than probably other years combined. Barely use Spotify, though. Sunday was 13.1 miles easy. Starting to enjoy the Sunday stuff again in a way that I've not in quite a long while. Pretty cool temperatures and sunny. Got Covid and flu vaccines in the evening at the centre in Cloghran.

25.42 miles.

Nov 21-27. Monday, plenty of rain and no water owing to a burst water main, which continued until about 4pm on Tuesday...which was then followed by 4 power flickers and a full power cut. Thursday was a hospital appointment, just a chat and end of the story, as in "there's nothing wrong with you" type vibe, so the various poking and prodding caught to naught.* Friday S&C class at the OTC which I felt the effects of into Saturday and Sunday. Sat - Darndale parkrun, only 6 of us. Probably more volunteers. Sound people. Sunday - two loose dogs heading away from Baldungan, hopefully they got found OK. It can be busy ish there as it's a road to Loughshinny. Nice morning starting out, then became dull. I've met one or two other runners out the back roads.

*Had a missed call from them today, so who knows.

26.58 miles.

Nov 28-Dec 4. Didn't scribble anything down here. Was this when the cold snap started? Visited Griffeen parkrun which was very enjoyable.

15.49 miles.

Dec 5-11. Pretty cold out. Left work early on Friday to avoid driving on slippery roads. If I run after work it's usually about 7:20pm when I start the car. No one was doing more than 60 km/h on the M50 on the way over in the morning.

13.25 miles.

Dec 12-18. Off work to use up some leave. Did St Anne's parkrun which was frosty, then home and up to the OTC for a clear out as a new floor is going down. I cut Sunday short as I was a bit hungry.

End of an inconsistent block, 177.7 miles and 1216.97 so far for 2022. Lots of distractions with personal stuff and job applications. Ideally, it would have been 30+ miles a week. There's 5 weeks of base prep on the Connemara ultra plan, so I'm not too concerned. The mileage jump might bite.

Have been getting back into yoga slowly and still do a little S&C. Lapsed a bit on the foam rolling.

Merry Christmas.

Good update, love the musical reviews. Chris Thile is amazing alright, missed him this time around. Was never a Dylan fan but love his mobile phone ban. Going to gigs has become a bit of a joke actually - half the crowd yakking away loudly, the other half taking pictures and videos all night long.

What's the Conn plan like? Do you have a particular goal/plan/approach for the 39.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Bob Dylan was one of those artists that completely passed me by, even though a good few of my favourite bands would cite him as a heavy influence. I love The Band who have a deep history with Dylan going back to the mid-60's. Still, just can't get my head around the man himself!

Loving that mobile phone idea too!

Paul Brady was in the audience at Chris Thile, NCH put up a photo of them meeting. Had hoped to get to his radio some day, Live from Here, it got the chop due to Covid. In August I went to Anaïs Mitchell at the Petter Canister Church - anyone who has dropped a bag at DCM will know that building. All seated and little phone usage. June was Sierra Ferrell in Temple Bar and she recently played Red Rock, which I dropped into in Colorado in May.

The Band - this cover was one of the brighter things to come out of lockdown. Hopefully some of ye remember Phantom FM from its pirate days. Dylan - the linkage is probably generational for many.

Connemara ultra - under 7 hours, maybe. Hard to know. When I did the full in 2018 some ultra folks looked like life had drained out of them. I went with 4:30 pacers and that was pretty straightforward, like a training run. Pretty sure one of those pacers used to post on here, but got a site banned ages ago. In person he talked, iirc, about getting through the ultra in under 6...dunno if that was in his back catalogue or a future hope.

Connemara ultra/John O'Regan plan: Base phase

Week 1

Dec 19-25. Monday, rest and yoga. Tues, slept badly. Plan 6-10 miles. These are supposed to be hilly, there's not much choice around here when it's dark unless I go the backroads which I don't want to, even with a basic light and some armbands. There are some paths without any street lighting. 8.60 miles at 11:07 min/mile. I use the freebie head torch from DCM 2016. Power cut again in the evening. 8.6 miles at 11:07 min/mi.

Weds nada

Thurs plan 10 T (2E, 6HM pace, 2E). Actual, was tipping away and decided to put the sleeve over the watch and run by feel. A good while later decided to check the watch it was on clock mode and then had the resume option. Oops…probably more like 8 or 8.5, but going with as that's what was recorded. 6.57 at 10:42 or 11:51, 11:47, 8:54, 9:14, 10:59, 11:14. Didn't hit the paces, really. Fog was starting to bed down towards the end.

Friday finished work for Christmas, followed by that dual combo the M50 does so well a) car park and b) swimming pool. Ran in the evening, called it a day at 6.2 at 10.54/10k to head home for some vitamin C.

Christmas Eve was up to see main man himself, my nephew and attempting to convert him to the best children's TV show ever made, Thomas the Tank Engine. I forgot how short the episodes are.

Sun was Christmas Day at Ardgillan parkrun, was aware of it only due word of mouth. Again, the tranquility here shines through, brief rain shower too. 14 miles easy 10:44 at home a little while later, standard Featherbed, edge of Loughshinny and home through the housing estates route. Mental glitches here and Thurs which have been the theme of the log for a while now.

38.5 miles.

Week 2. Busy with a job application. Finally started watching Derry Girls.

Dec 26-Jan 1 Mon - rest. Tues 7.07 easy 10:57. Weds got the day order mixed up as this was meant to be Thursday's stuff (2E, 6HM pace, 2E). Paces on not really on the mark 9:07, 9:18, 9:21, 9:24 (either side was standard easy) and I shortened the 6 to 4 out of frustration. Thurs 7 miles easy at 10:56. Friday - driving wind and rain through Dun Emer that almost takes a layer of skin off. Good practice. 10 easy at 11:00. Sat was walking Dundalk parkrun and a mostly damp morning. They were celebrating their 30,000th finisher.

Sun. I was asleep before the fireworks, then woken up and couldn't get back to sleep at all from about 2:30am onwards. Thought it would be a fairly sloppy run, but it felt like a real high. Opted to stay more local for 14.01 miles at 10:58. Ran out of podcasts, so it was over to playlists. I don't have Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill on it yet as I'm a bit technologically challenged. Hydration vest, electrolyte and a bar as a fuel check. Welcome to 2023.

48.08 miles. The next 3 weeks of base are very similar, only with the Sunday stuff getting a bit longer. If I can't pick up the pace I'm not sure...

Supposed to be a time trial on the Saturday of week 5. Distance and effort unknown.

1289.54 miles for 2022. Lowest annual mileage.

Shoes. This is an odd one. I've a pair of Saucony Guide 14s that 635 miles on them and still seem usable. On the other hand, I've the same pair only a different colour and just under 300 and they seem a bit more shredded. Logging them incorrectly on Garmin Connect would be the obvious thought, but I don't think I have.

Oh and just back on music, for all the fuss made about Fairytale of New York and language, I've heard Dylan's Hurricane on a number times on Irish radio, uncensored. /shrug

• Advertisement

Connemara ultra/John O'Regan plan: Base phase and/or other stuff

Week 3. Jan 2-8

Tues. Plan 6-10 hilly, actual 9 miles at 11:51. Plan 8-10 (no target pace mentioned). Actual, Weds 9 miles easy at 11:39. Thurs plan 2E, 6HM pace, 2E, I was so wiped from work that I skipped this. Fri rest or 6 recovery. Actual, 11.65 miles at 11:30, post-work shuffle. Thought this would need 3 loops, but it was more 2 and a bit and return. Saw my first 231 car and it didn't really register what this meant until I finally copped it's 2023. Had a nice hello "keep going" from a stranger. which was pleasant. Sat so I simply changed the Saturday 11 mile around and did it on Friday. Did Fairview parkrun which was very enjoyable. Sunday was a 16 miler, per the plan. 16.21 miles at 10:42. Ran out of podcasts again.

Week 4. Jan 9-15.

Mon rest. Tues 9 miles easy at 11:26. Saw a rabbit in a field down at the train station, then noticed it was 3 on the return. Reminded me that I saw a hare at DKIT when I was up there. Weds another 9.01 easy 11:23. Fairly certain I heard a buzzing sound when I put the watch on charge - cable, socket..? Thursday was a windy one, with the club. Didn't look at the watch 5.03 miles. Friday, I was wound this down a little early after 8 miles easy rather than 11 as I was getting tired in the glutes. Saturday was my 100th parkrun (or rather walk). Quite a chilly morning with a group over from Yorkshire. Added a modification to my car bumper by way of a wall just close to home, gah. Sunday. A few from the club needed to do 14k. Out via Quickpenny, Tully's, Airport View and home. I did it twice and a lap of the Hub to finish, 18.01 miles at 9:47. Another enjoyable one. Lots of cyclists out and about. Podcasts included Alan Alda's chat with the guy who founded Kind snacks.

Week 5 (end of base phase)

Time to write notes here got away from me, life has been so busy with committee volunteering, projects and emails outside of work.

Jan 16-22. Up to Dundalk by train for work on Monday, pleasant trip. Power cut at home in the evening. Late evening work trip to the other side of Dublin was postponed. Tues 9 miles easy at 11:52. Chilly. Paths were OK. Weds just 5 easy at 11:37. Fri 8.09 easy at 11:42 and Sunday 20 miles easy at 10:16.

Week 6

Jan 23-29

Tues 6.2 miles easy at 11:47. Chilly. Paths were OK. Weds 9.07 easy at 11:22. 5.19 at 8:18 min/mi, this was out with the club, iirc. Last two miles were 7:58 and 8:02, didn't think I'd hit those paces...frankly ever again. 8.63 miles at 11:29 after work for Friday. Saturday was with a few club heads and loops around the grounds of Malahide Castle. Forgot to restart the recording at one point, so came in at 7.35 miles at 9:00, reality was likely 9.5 miles. Sun 14 miles at 10:41.

Week 7 and 8

Jan 30-Feb 5 and Feb 6-12 - these bled into each other.

Tues 6.2 miles at 11:49. Thurs - started learning Audacity to edit work's podcast. Club stuff was w/u, 3 sets of 4 hill reps with the club, 90 seconds recovery and 3 minutes recovery between sets, then brief c/d. Friday off work to finish packing. Over to the NIA to help clean and set up barriers in the evening, following a request. Saturday, I flew Lanzarote for a running camp at Club La Santa, with Andy (parkrun record holder) and Sarah from the Running Channel (YouTube), plus 6 others. Got to the location after 6pm. Sunday was the first run, 10.11 miles at 10.21. Mon 3.29 miles easy at 9:04. Tues was some track stuff. 1.12 miles warm up at 10:25, 1.07 miles at 7:47 - can't recall what this was for. Then 1.75 miles at 11:52 which was a combination of 6x 400m reps. 7:45, 7:13, 7:08, 7:00, 6:36, 7:09 with ~ 90secs/2 mins seconds recovery. I led the second throughout and would happily have done more. After this, we had two 200m efforts, 5:48, 6:00 (decided not to go all out). 0.58 c/d. That evening a Mick Clohisey special was posted on Club Zap (used by Lusk AC), sorry to have missed it in a sense, I'm sure it'll come up another time.

Weds I took as rest, apart from badminton (it's been about 25 years) Thurs was 1.57 at 10:26 w/u, followed by 10 x 45 second hill reps, 1.45 c/d. Fri was a run with the wider tourists of those at Club La Santa, mixture of distances or walk/run options. The one I went with was supposed to be 5km at 5 min km pace, I fell back after about a mile. 3.14 miles at 8.27. Overall, mixed feelings about the holiday. The running stuff was good (particularly the hills and track), including drills. The rest lacked structure and a social focus, so craic was pretty much non-existent. Back to cycling holidays next time, methinks. Did get a pair of Puma and some apparel thrown in. I did do a few other classes (aerobics, no video evidence, thank feck) and enjoyed them. Nice to get away from sitting at a desk and computer. Weather was mostly 18-20C, a few rain showers. Flew home on Saturday, the captain gave an update on rugby with 10 minutes still left to play, so there was a bit of a cheer. Just 9.35 miles easy at 10:40 on Sunday as I needed to stay home to prep for job interview screening phone call.

Haven't totted up all the miles here, nor have a I triple checked vs what's in Garmin. Doesn't matter.

Sad news today that a club member has passed away.

Lusk 4 mile is on this Sunday, if you're looking for something.

Fantastic to see Sailing & Boating mod fergalb's near 8 year search for a boat of his that sank, was been rewarded.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120170200/#Comment_120170200

Connemara ultra/John O'Regan plan

Week 9 

Feb 13-19. Tues 9.? with some hill reps, nice and invigorating. Weds - I was in work and double jobbing as someone was sick. Fri work. Sat followed the 26 min pacer at Malahide, 25:28. Sunday was 20 miles at and simply a lovely run. I'm not going to write this up as normal due to what's now happened.

Week 10

Feb 20-26

Mon rest. Tues – flexibility and mobility class (AC organised it) via Zoom in the morning. Evening was 8 or 9 miles. Did a few of the running camp drills out the Skerries road, then a few hills down by the train station. Weds – in the office. Sore in the left upper quadrants and arm. Did a mile and stopped. Thurs was physio. Fri – in work again, did drills after, but same as Weds, a mile and done. Home to rest with a hot water bottle on the ribs and under my arm. It was hard to sleep because I sleep on my side and the right was OK, but in simply trying to move onto my left it was quite uncomfortable trying to get there, side, back and neck. I have some Difene from the time of waking up with a sore back last year. Driving was uncomfortable your natural resting position of the left hand at about 10 o’clock means a bent elbow and that’s quite sore. My mistake on Tues was probably overstretching in some way and also using a phone and trying to replicate what I was sometimes only half seeing on a small screen. When I've done yoga from YouTube it’s on the TV app and it’s never caused anything. I didn’t do any online classes during lockdown. I logged into the Thurs morning class only to watch and not participate. Physio that evening had a big roll of band tape, cut some off and went through some exercises. On Saturday morning I felt better waking up but not 100% and thought it was best to walk parkrun and not tackle any tarmac. Being at the computer was a bit sore, though. Last time I dinged something in the upper body was after coming off a dog sled in Finland in 2016 at decent speed. Sunday should have been 24 miles, I did 2 and called it a day due to the soreness. Sure, could have done x3 7 mile loops to stay local if I needed to bail home. Felt it wasn't worth the risk of a lsr. Anyway, some frustrations week…more so a lesson, really.

Week 11

Feb 27-present

No runs. Driving, computer...looking up at the ceiling has been sore, putting on a jumper, reaching for the shower cord and difficult to get off to sleep. Another physio appointment. He reckons it's the rotator cuff, he was talking about nerves and the neck too. It's probably the hardest he's ever worked on me and pain I'd put at 7.5-8/10. Neurofen's come into the equation this week. I've to use heat, do shoulder shrugs and head tilts and then another appointment. There'll be no 26 miler this weekend. Week 12 has a 28 miler and even if I can go back running it'll be big ask to go from 20 to 28, then the following week is the first 30. Can't make a call on it at the moment. I'm missing some MP stuff and midweek stuff as well. Running is at the back of my mind.

See yiz at the 4 mile.

I've been awake since 2am this morning. Come Monday, we are laying my cousin to rest. She was 31 and cancer took her in nine months. She was the eldest of three. My aunt's daughter, my Mam's niece. I got her a lavender lip balm a while ago and we had been talking over WhatsApp, seriously and slagging, your typical Irish conversation. It was last April that I saw her and she was not ill then and I got to congratulate her on her doctorate. My Dad rang me in work on Weds morning and I knew because that's unusual. My colleague walked me out and I cried much of the way driving home and as I write this post. She was too ill for chemo. Recently, about twice a week or more, my Mam was relaying "bad news" updates. She was in and out of hospital a lot this last while. The oncologist (main guy in Ireland) said he had only seen this once before in his career. It has still come as a shock to us all, it wasn't expected. She was peerless in her intelligence and so kind. Parents without a child, brothers without a sister.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s a cruel world.

Lovely words, sincere condolences.

Thank you. I was five or so when my aunt got married and that's around on VHS somewhere, I think. She is my godmother. It's been a hard few days, sleepless nights...from shock to it sinking in. I thought the hardest parts were going to be seeing her brought home and in the coffin, turned out not to be the case.

The morning in the house was tough. The final moments for us and the wider family and privacy given to the four of them too and as they walked out to the hearse. It's the most upset I've seen of any father and at the church too. They were so close. To bring a child into this world and have her taken away like this is so unfair, cruel and senseless. Claire de Lune, Fields of Gold were played live. Her brother's original composition at the service broke everyone, I'd say. I'm sorry I will never get to message her again, hear her voice or feel her smile.

Our hearts are full. Thanks R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

So sorry for your loss, life is so fragile. Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

So sorry for your tragic loss.

Thank you. It was a desperately sad. Add in Mother's day last weekend, her mother's birthday this weekend and now just two months until hers. I've been told the firsts without someone are very hard e.g. birthday and Christmas.

I got to touch her head before the coffin was closed and later carry it to the graveside. We tend to do funerals well in Ireland, though it can be intense, compressed and you're on autopilot too. I'm sure the family home feels very strange and empty for them, I can only guess. A remarkable young woman. There was a lot of talk of a light being dimmed, but she left such an imprint on all of us.

If I get a place for DCM 2024 I will be running it for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

So sorry for your loss. The firsts are very hard. Mind yourself x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I hope you are doing ok since, or as well as you can given the short time that has passed. There will be a lot of firsts and they are hard, It's such a cliché but time is really the only healer. Although I'm not sure if healing is the right word, it changes I suppose, over time your grief changes and becomes more bearable. It sounds like you have a lot of happy memories and her light will continue to shine in the lives she touched, like yours. Mind yourself.

A few weeks before she died, I bought a Jamie Oliver book in Easons, Swords. I had to return it because it was all in Fahrenheit, etc. When I told her about it I found quickly found out she's not a Jamie fan. Then we chatted about another cookbook. That was our last conversation, a nice memory to have. Her last online status was 7:55am, she died at 8, I understand. Her birthday is coming up now in a few weeks. Sadly, a little baby girl is buried a few plots over over, she died a week after. Hard to imagine.

Before this happened, I had gone back to the physio for a third time following the injury in Feb. He had moved away from the idea of it being the rotator cuff and thought it might be a disc in the neck had hit a nerve. He concluded pain was 8/10 from working on me and at that point, said go to your GP. GP prescribed 5 days of anti-inflammatories and penicillin. That helped. Last run was Feb 26, picked it up again on March 26. Didn't do Connemara ultra - deferred it. Could have dropped down to the marathon. GP advised an MRI which hasn't come through yet, only text info, so I'll probably cancel.

Recent parkruns included Brickfields, Marlay and Clonburr Wood. Marlay was the morning of R's month's mind, family gathered at 12pm.

I'm considering Lake Maggiore marathon in November. It looks pretty spectacular, though it can be equally fluich. Milan Nord parkrun would be on the cards too.

May 2023

126.31 miles

There was R’s birthday, which was tough for her family.

I booked Lake Maggiore marathon and some of the accommodation. You need a letter from your GP (some tests) for the race, plus another from Athletics Ireland, if you're in a club i.e. that you're in good standing. Did Poolbeg parkrun when we had the first burst of lovely weather, very enjoyable. Corkagh was great too. Went back to the physio on May 31, with no complaints – only to ask for an S&C plan for the next while. Two marathons and an ultra in the next 18 months was my initial line of thinking. After an assessment, he took some notes. He mentioned getting some prehab in at the outset. First medical appointment in a while without a mask. He isn't the fastest as getting back by text/email and as of this write up a month later, no plans have arrived, despite 2-3 reminders. 

June 

126.89 miles

I had noted June 12 to kick off the 2016 grads base plan, tried and tested. In previous weeks, I had done a few Sunday mornings of 21 kms over and back to Loughshinny harbour, nice to it get done and dusted before 10am. Final club session before base was Argillan hills in lunchtime heat. The Best Hills in the World™. Kenyans, dragonflies, butterflies...to find out more, join the club. I didn’t have much to give here. I’ve been struggling a lot with motivation, both running and personally going back quite a while now. Mentally a lot as well.

Only copped http://garminconnect.com tots up your mileage overall, not just by month. Saves a lot of messing with Excel. I visited R’s grave after Bushy parkrun. I was the only one there as it was a morning for umbrellas. Spoke to her a bit. The week after, I visited Tolka Valley parkrun which was great. At Shanganagh parkrun yesterday I learned of the 'most parkruns' list which is a handy thing to look up.

I was not really someone who listened to running podcasts in the past. I now listen to Strength Running, Running Explained and Doctors of Running.  Strength Running I'd describe as a mix of knowledge, guidance and common sense i.e. playing the long game, which in my view, not enough people do. Running Explained had a guy on recently who wrote "The Slow AF Run Club", effectively an evangelist for larger athletes. He talked about the lack of clothing and inflexibility of some races not accounting for slower folks, taking down signs and water stations, etc. Also some other podcasts didn't want to talk to him simply because of what his book raises. Too much gatekeeping BS. Your fitness is only is good as your recovery. #141 of Doctors of Running. After posting in the main forum marathon improvers thread off the back of one of the podcasts, I was thinking through the wisdom of 3 marathons between now and Oct 2024, so I might let the deferred Connemara ultra go next year and focus on shorter stuff to do the periodisation thing.

I was asked to write a piece about R for the Irish Psychologist magazine (her profession), so need to give it some thought. I have met the editor before, she is sound and such a passionate advocate for psychology. I too had studied psychology and was active in those circles, but didn't go the professional training route for a few reasons, so I’m neither a psychologist or clinician. It's not currently regulated here at all, btw. Anyway, I had written a few words shortly after the funeral. I’ve had my own thoughts about doing a PhD through the Irish Research Council. As you can imagine, very mixed feelings about the thought of it and the process. Part of me would enjoy it, but then also it would be quite hard going*. I think my colleague's took 6 years and she has two kids.

Marathon season is starting to ramp up in the club, so the messages are flying about. My last spin over to Loughshinny in June was pretty much all rain, good fun. I haven’t been testing fuelling on these, nor carrying water, so a few handfuls from the tap at Baldungan have sufficed. Struggled a bit this week as i.e. motivation and it's only week 3 of base. Then whether where I'm at it is even enough to head into Lake Maggiore. Currently at 682.19 miles for 2023. LM is not a goal race, it's a holiday. 3:59 would suffice.

*I've had doubts about putting this personal stuff here. I'm a late diagnosed autistic adult so that ties into bad sleep, burnout and all that. It can be difficult to read in this space for a lot of reasons. Low awareness is one, see also "high functioning" or "on the spectrum" or similar bollocks. For those of my generation, there was no awareness or services and there are still are no public services or a diagnostic pathway for adults in Ireland...

Anyway, back to listening to Sierra Ferrell cover of Seven Spanish Angels (Willie Nelson).

July

249.96 km

A mixed start to the month. Got the physio’s exercises, then some car issues arose. After failing the NCT, someone hit my car and left no note. She was not the only car that was hit. Not big damage - more like a black eye, a nuisance. Third trip to the body shop in 7 years of owning it and none were my fault. I had renewed my insurance policy only two hours before discovering the damage. Dunno the timeframe when it was hit. Anyway.

I joined a strength class locally and started going twice a week at 6am. Deadlifts and squats and some accessory work. The coach believes in setting a good foundation. As n00b, I don’t have bad habits as such…still a good way to go to learn the techniques, though. There was a touch or two of DOMS in the initial days following. Nothing that stuck around.

I was marshal at the Fingal 10km. Not quite as hot as last year, though it picked up a bit closer to and during the race. I do think some of the communication could be better behind the scenes as we were a little stumped about the details of our role at our position, given the route change and managing the flow. We thought we’d have faster runners looping back in the opposite direction. It all worked out in the end, no big deal. I’m being a little picky. Had to head to Galway the following day for a funeral. On a lighter note, one of my young cousins confirmed the school holidays are great. 

Continued the Dublin parkrun tourism to Tymon, Dodder Valley (bumped into a Malahide RD there) and Cabinteely. That’s all of Dublin done, apart from Progression.

Concluded the base plan – though I had to miss the last lsr (23/07).

Wednesday of week 2 of the grads plan and the watch suggested 4x8 threshold, whereas the plan said 3x8, hah. The Sunday morning over to Loughshinny…the tide was the furthest out I’ve ever seen, quite impressive and a nice day too.

Last day of July - put down a deposit on a car (2018) which was quite exciting.

IOC put out a thing about mental health. Not for the first time. Good to see. The more toxic side of professional sport can go in the bin.

August

280.87 km

Got word we’ve to be in the office 3 days now instead of 2, from September. Got to do a presentation for work in person which was nice and the first time doing once since I went on a public speaking course about 3 weeks before lockdown. Went very well. Back to Malahide for a run and 100th time volunteering. I was curious how the legs would feel after 5 weeks of strength class, verdict was good, comfortable.

Mid-August was less fun in some respects. Ran a 23km on a Saturday and didn’t have much to give for some of it. On the positive side, I think some of easy stuff now feels easier, hopefully from the S&C work. The harder days bring up big doubts about any running ability at all. I’ve sometimes been reluctant to go the strength class, usually due to sleep, but have pushed myself to show up and felt happier afterwards. He recommended weightlifting shoes a few weeks ago as the Pumas are too soft. I certainly notice this simply evening walking to training, so springy! Was on car park duty for the Man O War 7k, which had plenty of smiles and a few dazed faces after the hill. Late August was Ardgillan hills and simply good fun all around. I've been swapping some of the speed stuff in the grads plan for club bits. Week 6 of the plan was last week and I think the best yet, helped by seeing Nickel Creek in the National Concert Hall, of course. Tues was the back of the 3:30-3:45 group (at 5:18km), so had a good chat with someone for most of it, including talking about R. Later in the week they were doing 4x1 mile, which I didn't join, so it was tempo instead...Kilhedge and Quickpenny in reverse. I picked it up for the main hill and led this bit. Friday, I only did 6km easy after work as I could feel the tempo a touch. Did barcode scanning in Marlay after leaving my bank card and driving licence in the office the evening before. Sunday was 26km with a few heads and an unpleasant final few kms to get it done, it had gotten quite warm.

Lake Maggiore - you certainly pick unusual marathons! What's the course like?

I was at that Nickel Creek gig too. Incredible (as always).

Thought you might be at it. Paul Brady was in the audience and I saw Mary Coughlan chatting to Gaby Moreno afterwards too.

12-14k seems to be the main hilly bit. A few other bits around 22k, 25-26. Pretty flat otherwise. If you look at World Marathons page it describes it as flat. If you Google, another places describes it as 'challenging'. Videos from previous years show good weather, winter sun, though there have also been others where it's been bucketing down. I had to get a letter from Athletics Ireland to prove I'm a member of a club and upload it. There is also a medical cert your GP is supposed to fill out. Queried that with the marathon office and they said no further documentation is required. I will double check.

55 days to go.

Writing here has slipped onto the long finger. I kept meaning to make notes that were mostly distinct from the nitty gritty of running.  

September 247.55 km

I don’t fully recall when I switched over to kilometres, it was somewhere in July. Can I convert min/mi back and forth in my head? Feck, no. Back around week 7 we did the post-tempo dip in the sea at Rush south beach. Week 8 – Friday’s drive home, featured the M50 being a swimming pool. This was made by better by James – Sit Down on Spotify. I headed out on Sunday with the 4 hour 15+ group from the club. The LSR was 29k, 3 hours 10 mins, but more like 4 hours of movement by the time we arrived back at the hub - factoring in water stops, chats and letting people regroup. There was another post-tempo swim at Rush too. It was lovely. 

October 191.08 km (plus 6 tomorrow)

Keeping with most of what I've been doing, changing, via touch of avoidance, you might say, the mid-week grads plan stuff for club bits either for tempo or a few 14k 'steady' via a Baldungan loop and tacking on some of the ring road to finish. These have been pretty brisk in terms of pace, with a few from the 3:30-3:45 group.

Due to the days I'm in the office, I can only really get to training on a Thursday evening. The plans that get posted tend to have Tues hills, Weds steady and Thurs tempo or other speed work on a Tues. I'm not that keen on this back-to-back because recovery isn't really flagged, so I wonder about compressing that together. Some might overdo it and get injured. 

Anyway, Lusk AC have been busy with podcasts, including a DCM pacer, Gary, who gave a shout out to boards. Also Catherina McKiernan, Dick Hooper, one of our coaches, two members and their Berlin exploits and a sports psychologist and a dietitian mostly re the gut. A few of us were thrown by the nutrition guidance on Lucozade and some of the other points. 

Taper was a funny one because even after the last LSR, I didn't cop it was taper time until I jumped into the shower. Longest runs were 29, 32 and 33km. Some people went up to 35. This is a long way of saying I did lose track of what week number I was on, partly as I wasn't writing anything about it. This is also a way of saying I've not been glued to the watch for most of this training. The final lsr was supposed to be 2 hours easy. I opted to be social and did 16k with the club. One of the lads fell about a quarter of the way, thankfully was OK. 

One of our coaches had an observation that one reason Lusk AC athletes aren't in the jocker at DCM is because, in his words, 'we do hills'. I’d say there's truth to that. We also have good variety and options to try out routes, locally.

Did go to see The Unthanks in Liberty Hall, sometimes listening to them is like being transported back in time. One evening after getting home I heard All Along the Watchtower on the radio on a Friday evening, courtesy of the John Creedon show. I still have been going to the strength class twice a week. It's pretty much the same people all the time. Can I bench press much? No. Have front squats gotten better? Yes, somewhat. I do also quite like the as many rounds as possible routine, which is generally 12-14 minutes on the clock. Quite found of the walking lunge, with 12.5kg dumbbells - solid enough weight that I feel it. Probably should try 15. I think it has made a difference at parkrun* for instance, or just holding pace by feel a bit and during the club's 'steady' efforts too. I did skip one class because I slept badly, thought I had a temperature and maybe Covid again, paracetamol was deployed at 4am.

*I have on occasion cited @Lazare's 'parkrun is the new Mass'. Cheque's in the post, sir! 

Yesterday was marshal duty on Mount Street at a mostly wet DCM. Good fun again, might have lost my voice had I shouted some more. It was all there. Emotion, concentration, smiles, agony, the odd impatient/narky person at the crossover and the Scottish guy I briefly spoke who asked me where O'Connors was - you're eyeballing it! Some big PBs out there. Didn't see any club colleagues in a bad way. A few others with cramp or walking.

Today, I got to try discus, hammer and javelin - always wanted to throw one. Right, time for a holiday with a marathon built in. This is not a target race. I’m hoping to get under 4, that’s the main goal. BBC forecast for Arona has been a little mixed. Looks like sun, 10-14C and no rain, for now. 

TLDR. Enjoy the journey. Come Sunday, the curtain comes down.

And so we begin. I have written this largely on memory. After the race, I thought about recording stuff on my phone to save for logging purposes, however a combination of the outcome and also not seeing a need to document it all meant I didn't do that.

On Weds Nov 1, I left Ireland bound for Arona, Italy. After an uneventful flight, I had my first experiences of Italy's trains, or rather, I ended up getting four when I had planned on only needing to use two. Locals were very helpful, including a woman who took me through a metro journey to get me onto the right connection, she overheard me chatting to the conductor. It was after 9pm when I arrived and things were pretty quiet in the town. Had things gone to plan, it might have been 7:30pm. I spent the next few days taking it easy, going to Lidl (no scones) and checking out the area. Weather was a little mixed - wet Thursday (Firestick viewing) and a pleasant Friday, tranquil.

The expo was a few tents parallel to the lake. After scanning the registration barcode on my phone, I was asked 'Have you signed ___?' I didn't know what they meant. Figured this might arise, so I had printed copies for everything. It seemed to be the letter from Athletics Ireland they wanted, even though I had uploaded it to the registration portal some months ago. Collected the bag, bib and t-shirt which included a sponge. I could hear a mixture of languages floating around. My number was 2021, which is the year of my nephew's birth, or as my sister said, a good luck charm. Went the DIY route for cooking as I didn't want to try a restaurant the day before the race. On Saturday I was feeling pretty confident, relaxed - by evening it was wet again and I could hear the slosh of water outside as cars passed.

The morning of was lovely, clear skies and sunny. I threw on a bit of P20, but not extensively as I figured temperatures and the time of year didn't really apply. I had the usual black sack affair ready to go too. I threw it and the sponge into back of the hydration vest for another day. There was a decent enough sized queue for the 7 or so portaloos. People started going into their sectors (waves/groups) which were not really monitored or policed as such. I wasn't sure where the pacers were going to be and in hindsight, whilst I had read the guidance about the times and min/k, I should have asked for more specifics at the expo on Friday.

We began promptly all as one, no staggered process. First up was an out and back loop of Arona. At a roundabout two police motorbikes who were initially stationary, soon hit the blues and twos - felt they were being called to another job. Somewhere along here I thought I saw a 4h:35 pacer, there's a bit of work to do. It was on the other side and looping back that I found two other pacers, a two hour for the half and a 4 hour guy in parallel. I stuck with them for a while including going out of the town. It's an upward bit to leave and there's a bit of support through the main thoroughfare (a different pacer again seemed to stopped on a central reservation and waiting for her place to slot in, I don't know) and as we say goodbye to the start point. Somewhere early on I spoke briefly to a British bloke and wished him well. Not the only British voices that popped up during the race.

The rest of what I've to say here is where the meat of this write up is lacking. In the days prior to the race, I had written down a few PMA notes on a piece of paper. I took an energy block I think around the 10 or 12k mark, which prompted a stitch, not something which happened when testing during training. The stitch eased, went away, returned and finally settled. It was somewhere in these early double digit miles where the pacing picture started to emerge. A touch confusing, I thought. I think it was around 16k where I'm fairly certain the 5:00 min/k pacer popped up. Wait, so are there some pacers with a finish time and others with a pace? Pacing info was hand written on the rear of shirts. The buck stops with me, though. Anyway, after this, I think approx every 1.5k or so, followed the 5:10, 5:20, 5:30 and 5:40 min/k folks. I knew my intentions (5:40) were well gone at this point. Credit to those who ran it well.

After the half way point, Stresa, things thinned out a bit. Two people who seemed to be wearing cycling gear with text rejecting doping and drugs finished up. I had intended to imprint the exact language on my mind to note it here. I don't remember much else. Mentally, I kept telling myself to keep going. This was useful in some respects as I could see myself getting to 30km and so on. In that sense I was a little surprised at the feel of being part of something like was going by fairly quickly, even though my pace was meh. Pretty certain a pharmacy sign at 25-26km said it was 14C wherever we were. Once 32k arrived I figured this is belly of the beast territory. It was a bit of a grind too as the loathsomeness of tarmac was starting to kick in. I did not look at the watch much through the race, but did with around 2k to go and there was some 7:50min/k pace there, which led to an internal FFS, you don't even run that easy in training moment.

Bar one or two points with signage, and occasional local, the only others attached to the event were police and medics. At the finish there was no separation between athletes and family members/others, which was nice. No need at a small event, certainly at my slowness we were a trickle over the mat. Cut off was 5h:30 for roads opening up again. The final athlete was a 70 something Swede with 5:27 odd who was given a shout out. Three others finished after him, according to the results page at 5:38, with 224 of us overall.

Garmin 42.58km, 4:26:56 at 6:16. Official 4:26:57

I had some edibles and liquids from the tent, one looked like apple juice (or might it be whiskey, I wondered) and was warm, so tea, I'd say. There was a decent enough sized queue for the physio area. Good atmosphere all around and lovely to finish lakeside in the sun.

Crank up the scenery up another notch or two and it wouldn't be far off New Zealand Lord of Rings type stuff as you're running it. You can feel the trajectory of how the course curves and it's pretty thrilling to be a part of.

The ferry was €10 at the expo. Suitably glacial in its pacing, it was a nice way to absorb the homeward journey, calm waters and sunshine for company too. Arona was bustling when we got back and a few people were in swimming that side of it. I finally went to the gelato shop later on. My recovery wasn't too bad, first day after was a little iffy and I felt a brief niggle walking to the supermarket. It didn't stick around. Stairs were grand.

The next parts of the trip were Milan (Castello Sforzesco in the pic above), Zurich and Salzburg all by rail. I really enjoyed Milan, the metro is so handy. I did a brilliant pasta and tiramisu class. Milano Nord parkrun (24:49) was a lovely crisp morning, with a briefing for a bunch of us native English speakers. Afterwards on the metro map I saw San Siro being a final stop on another line. I had a 3 day ticket for a mere €13 (also covering trams, buses) recommended by one of a guide tour. I went to have a look, I don't follow football. On the outside, it is a monster of a stadium and must be quite something on match day. There is also a copy of the Last Supper you can see in one of the banks in the centre of Milan for free.

Up next, we had Zurich, which was a bit of a wash out with near non-stop rain and a tour guide cancelling due to the flu and a potential close contact for you know what. From Zurich, we reached Salzburg sometimes with bursts of 225km/h, a speed Irish Rail can only dream of. Salzburg had a cleanliness that Dublin needs to learn from. I did an apple strudel and cookies class, the natural history museum, a walking tour (full rain gear job) and checked out the Fortress. From the tour guide, had time allowed and the weather been better, then some cable cars and mountains might have been on the list. For the weekend, Helbrunn parkrun was on the agenda. At the time I originally researched this Austria only had 3 parkruns, having only recently added Stadtpark. Anyway, there's a bus which stops at Helbrunn, it's not a long journey out of from the city. I had bought a 72 hour Salzburg card. There were just 18 of us, with a mixture of tourists, newcomers and regulars. It's three laps and measured a little long (5.16km), 24:04. It was a more overcast and nippy morning than Milan. All the ingredients which make parkrun i.e. shared stories, humour and when winding down, trying to explain to other members of the public/park users, what it is. Asked by a British ex-pat why I came to Salzburg, simple - parkrun! Btw, it's quite amusing if you try Google Translate on non-English parkruns webpages to decipher the menu structure, etc. Afterwards, I went to the zoo where at one point an air raid type siren sounded briefly within the locality. That was a strange occurrence...

Will I do another marathon, plus a parkrun or two outside of Ireland? All in one trip for a third time? It might be better to do parkrun over a long weekend by parachuting in. More European rail travel is certainly warranted. I've a friend from college who is in Vancouver too. Similar to last year, though, I was bone tired at some points as I typically don't sleep well the first night or other nights in a new location.

Back to the other stuff. I entered the DCM 2024 lottery, unsuccessfully. From the above, I've run better. I've run worse. I know we had some incredible PBs for Lusk this year e.g. someone who went from 3:53 to 3:34. Our ladies captain ran 3:16, getting a medal for her age. At the moment, I feel any DCM PB would a very, very tall order. I'd still like to get from 3:51 to 3:40 or under that in R's memory. Having only run under 4 hours twice, I'm pretty doubtful. Haven't thought too much about early 2024 yet. Equally, I have thought about stopping running entirely. Overseas again for Autumn 2024? Skagen in Denmark? Maine marathon in the US? There is a bloke in Lusk who is similar to me in that we're not particularly drawn to the majors. Time to step off the endurance train, for now.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

Have been neglecting here. Meant to keep notes here and there, the hamster wheel that is modern life got in the way. I've not been looking at weekly mileage. 2023 saw 2,297.04 km.

I'm back on folic acid for the third time. I still go to the S&C class twice a week, though have thought about stopping due to the hamster wheel. Generally, I've been doing easy and club bits here and there, a good bit of parkrun tourism* and trying to get some LSRs in on Sundays, though not always. I have made a friend through the AC through chats and volunteering. Most of the time we're taking the mick out of each other, with some personal stuff in there too.

January saw a trip to Whelan's to see The Milk Carton Kids. What a treat they were. You cannot pigeon hole them at all. Nor could you find a more hush part of Dublin when Kenneth went solo with I Only See The Moon. January also involved Russburough House parkrun, their winter course. Probably the coldest my hands have been at any parkrun.

I think it was in February I bumped into @Singer at a recycling centre, as ye do.

March brought my first 5k in 5 years in Tallaght on St Patrick's day. I ran it fairly controlled at 24:35 and didn't pick up. There was R's first anniversary too. I counted 5 if not more bumble bees on her grave, many flowers too. Good company for her. Also did a trip to Marlay parkrun to chat with @ReeReeG of this parish.

*Naas, Edwin Carolan (the wettest by far, good fun), Porch Field, Vicarstown, Deerpark Carlanstown, SETU Arena, Laytown and Mountlucas. I crashed into someone about 300m at SETU, he had dropped his barcode, stopped and turned to get it. No harm done, neither of us fell.

Some good news for Lusk AC is that the track has moved a step closer to reality. Seemingly, it'll take over a year to build as it has to be done in good weather. The podcast is still going strong. Haven't listened to the latest one yet - it covers Boston and London.

I've looked at potential marathons abroad again, there are so many. Patagonia, which looks stunning. The Huffin' Puffin in Canada which I'd do for the name alone, except it's now called Newfoundland and Labrador. Valley Harvest in Canada, partly because of the humour of one of the sponsors. Motivation is still pretty all over the shop with running in general, though, some I may stick to Irish events. Frank Duffy 10 mile, how about ye?

YTD: 672.94 km

• Advertisement
Advertisement