Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thurs 13/4

Warm up - 1 mile
    60 minutes, very easy
    4.74 miles, at 12:39
    Cool down - 1.04 miles

Fri 14/4

Rest. Watched a Casey Neistat video where he ran 20 miles for the craic, then slept for 14 hours. We've all been there. Around mid afternoon I drove over to Dunmore East for a while.

Sat 15/4

Warm up - 1.01 miles
    5,4,3,2,1 min @ (Thres/CV/AP/Vo2/110%) paces w/ equal recovery
    Cool down - 1.41 miles

Split|Time |Avg Pace|Mileage
    5 @Thres | 5:15|8:36|0.61
    4 @ CV| 4.02|8:30|0.47
    3 @ AP|3.06|8:18|0.37
    2 @ Vo2|2:11|8:12|0.27
    1 @ 110%|1.06|7:29|0.15

Tried the virtual pacer for the first time and generally messed about with a different watch (Forerunner 25), with mixed success. Mostly forgot to use the lap button. Don't have mileage incl. recovery figures, shrug. Also had a few niggles with the app later on and whether it was displaying all of the data.

Trying to remember paces...Threshold I wrote down incorrectly (should be 8:51-9:04).

IMG_0205_zpsna0wzv45.jpg

Sun 16/4

Warm up 1 mile
    80 minutes, easy
    6.78 miles, at 11:49
    Cool down - 1.08 miles

Out at about 9:15am, sunny for the first 3 miles or so. Went down by Newtown Cove, couple of people swimming in the Guillamene. Headed down the town and back strand area. Fairly gloomy at this point. Trying to suss out the virtual pacer once more. Again, new watch! Sometimes it would alert when I was ahead/behind or on pace...other times it didn't seem bothered. Good few runners out this morning.

Tired. :o

Week 1: 23.39 miles
    Week 2: 31.07 miles
    Week 3: 30.02 miles
    Week 4: 29.25 miles
    Week 5: 26.46 miles
    Week 6: 33.97 miles
    Week 7: 33.07 miles
    Week 8: 29.74 miles
    Week 9: 30.94 miles
    Week 10: 32.25 miles
    Week 11: 32.17 miles
    Week 12: 31.41 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I had a 25 at one point I could never get the hang of the virtual pacer either

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Tues 18/4

Warm up - 1 mile
    60 minutes, very easy
    4.75 miles, at 12:39
    Cool down - 1 mile

Took the afternoon off work. Ran when I got home this evening. 10k times were mentioned by a colleague, I managed to steer around that. :pac: Busy enough out locally, group of 10-12 runners. Saw a rat out the lane down by the secondary school. He seem happy enough, stick the ditches, fella, not back gardens or houses.

And so, week 13 commences.

Weds 19/4

Awake at stupid o' clock (3:45am). Went for a run at 5am.

Warm up - 1 mile
    5x5 min CV w/ 2.30 min rec
    3.88 miles
    Cool down - 1.84 mile

Split| Time Avg |Pace
    1|5:07.3 |8:41
    2|5:08.6 |8:35
    3|5:18.6 |8:43
    4|4:59.5 |8:14
    5|3:59.9 |8:22

5 is short as I always make a mistake on a Weds.

Nature report. Birds do a fair bit of chirping at this hour, eh? Hare in a field.

Shower, porridge and feeling good. Bright eyed and bushy tailed. Always been a morning person. ;) Hopefully there'll be no afternoon slump in work. Got a few interesting looks as I came back via the bus stops.

Thurs 20/4

Warm up - 1 mile
    60 minutes, very easy
    4.72 miles, at 12:45
    Cool down - 1 mile

Fri 21/4

Rest.

Sat 22/4

Off, as per the plan. Drove to Malahide for a walk around the castle grounds. Did the park run route. Busy enough there. Power cut was a good incentive to get out the door too.

Sun 23/4

Headed over to ALSAA to use the track, tried to follow BG's advice. Car park very busy for a Sunday morning. Dropped into the gym after, quiet there and in the hall. Saw the first and second place lads finish the London marathon on the TV. Clammy morning. Stretched in the car park. Walked around the track before doing any warm up, etc.

Warm up - 1.02 miles.
    Stretched again for insurance. :pac:
    2k Time Trial
    1.32 miles. Time: 10:04. Avg Pace: 7:37 min/mi.
    Cool down - 1 mile

First glance at the watch said 6:50, oops. Thought it best to keep it somewhere around 8 after seeing that. Shins were a little 'raar', on lap two or three. I forget which one, maybe both. Not exactly banjaxed after, could have pushed harder, perhaps. :confused: Did enjoying pushing to the finish, final third or so. Even after the first lap I had forgotten which markings I had originally started at, though.

Loops. :pac: :pac:

garmin2ktrial_zpsoltq43zr.png

Hopefully sleep will improve this week. Hope fellow graduates got on well in Wexford, London and Connemara. :cool:

Week 13: 23.52 miles

• Advertisement

Tues 25/4

Warm up - 1 mile
    45 minutes, easy
    3.56 miles, at 12:40
    Cool down - 1.06 miles

Another episode of waking up at 3am or thereabouts. Decided not to go running again at 5, body just didn't want to try that craic again in this particular case. Anyway, on to work. Hailstones day, but only from looking outside of the office window. Sunny, but not all that warm. Did get a ‘well done’ from a stranger, which was nice. Small niggle in the right calf late in the evening. Was OK.

Weds 26/4

Warm up - 1 mile
    6x1 min @ Vo2 w/ 2 min recovery
    2.01 miles
    Cool down - 1.01 miles

Split |Time |Avg Pace
    1|1:07.9 |8:15
    2|1:22|8:09
    3|1:08.5 |8:01
    4|1:18.4 |7:57
    5|1:25.9 |7:54
    6|1:04.6 |8:04

Weather OK. Sneezy - possibly due to Tues. Thought I had lost the final data point as my watch (305) turned itself off when I hit the lap button.

Thurs 27/4

Warm up - 1 mile
    45 minutes, easy
    3.54 miles, at 12:43
    Cool down - 1 mile

Fri 28/4, as per plan

Off

Sat 29/4

Warm up - 1 mile
    20 minutes recovery
    1.66 miles, at 12:07
    Cool down - 1 mile

Decent enough morning. Windy, bit sunny, but then gloomy and overcast. Never been all that sure about pace for recovery, ran it easy. New building work locally is moving pretty quickly.

Week 13: 23.52 miles
    Week 14: 18:84 miles

5-10k plan completed: 406.1 miles. Inishbofin 10k in 2 weeks. :eek:

Sun 30/4

Gym. Incoming aircraft pass almost directly over the running track at ALSAA. Used to that, even though I've only used the track once. Did see a plane during take off and that was quite a sight to see, the undercarriage of the aircraft...not too far overhead.

Mon 1/5

Gym at about 11:30. Busiest I've ever seen it up there, tbh.

Think for this week it'll be week 13A and next, week 14A (repeating them).

Hello May. Momentum time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Inishbofin for a 10km, nice one. That's quite the hilly race isn't it? Have threatened to do it so many times but it always clashed with something.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Inishbofin for a 10km, nice one. That's quite the hilly race isn't it?

Possibly...

3 runs done this week. Bit of a mental rut lurking at the moment, hoping volunteering at park run tomorrow will help on that front. I think it's because I'm fininshed the plan and repeating the final two weeks feels dull, as do the same spins I go on locally.

• Advertisement

3 runs done this week. Bit of a mental rut lurking at the moment, hoping volunteering at park run tomorrow will help on that front. I think it's because I'm fininshed the plan and repeating the final two weeks feels dull, as do the same spins I go on locally.

Sounds familiar thoug I'm not finished the plan so I can't use that excuse. Perhaps it's the long evenings , there's so much more going on finding the time to run is a little more difficult.

Thanks T. Was going to head out today, but right leg is a little sore when bending. Decided not to chance it.

Tues 2/5

Warm up - 1 mile
    60 minutes, very easy
    4.69 miles, at 12:49
    Cool down - 1 mile

Hot town, summer in the city…
    Easy to know the good weather was upon us, pubs have chairs and tables outside.

Weds 3/5

Warm up - 1 mile
    5x5 min CV w/ 2.30 min rec
    4.18 miles
    Cool down - 1 mile

Split |Time |Avg Pace
    1|5:04.9 |8:18
    2|5:14.3 |8:25
    3|5:23.0|8:44
    4|5:21.2 |8:24
    5|5:16.1 |8:32

Almost forgot to stretch. Warm enough again. Even though some of this patch is the same hills I've used for weeks, I found elements of this a bit tiring, tbh.

Thurs 4/5

Rest, decided to swap Thurs and Fri around.

Fri 5/5

Warm up - 1 mile
    60 minutes, very easy
    4.68 miles, at 12:49
    Cool down - 1 mile

Felt that toenail pinchage craic. Blood in the sock after. D'oh.

Sat 6/5

Volunteered at park run Malahide. Brandon Hargreaves, the 10,000 metres Irish champion, came in at 15:08. Unreal to see him in motion, really.

Went to the gym after that.

Sun 7/5

Rest

Week 13A: 19.05 miles

Just seeing the new novices thread is up. Shiny thread. :D

Mon 8/5

Rest

Knee still not 100% when bending and upper leg area was a bit funny walking to the supermarket. To physio, or not to physio. As it was not pain and just discomfort, I figured time might help.

Tues 9/5

Leg feeling a lot better - figure another's day rest is better safe than sorry.

Weds 10/5

Warm up - 1 mile
    6x1 min @ Vo2 w/ 2 min recovery
    1.90 miles
    Cool down - 1 mile

Split |Time |Avg Pace
    1|1:02.7 |8:15
    2|1:07.2 |8:03
    3|1:01.1 |7:32
    4|1:04.9 |7:53
    5|1:09.6 |8:00
    6|1:09.5 |8:14

Back on the horse. Saw two magnificent peacocks out the Skerries road. The sun really showed their colours. They were sensible enough to avoid the traffic, just.

Next few days...

Thurs 11/5

Might do an easy 45 minutes, will see.

Fri 12/5

Rest

Drive to Cleggan, catch the ferry. Looks like a wet weekend.

Sat 13/5

Race. Light the fuse.

Friday 12/5

Arrived down in Cleggan, got the ferry across to the Inishbofin. Got in the van to the hotel, the owner co-ordinates the 10k and half. A very busy man - lively, great sense of humour. Drive up to the hotel thinking...uh, so this little ascent tomorrow could be interesting. Some of the van spin was not quite on the actual course in the end - maybe more so for the half peers. The 5k sign was just outside the hotel and the 9k one was just a little further ahead. I had some spare time later on - went for a decent walk, spotted some more of the mileage signs. Stunning place to visit. Some of the cars on the island were good craic, saw an auld fella out painting his with a bucket of paint. Good few with no reg plates too. Collected my number and t-shirt after dinner.

Sat 13/5

Inisbofhin 10k

Barely slept in the middle of the night, wide awake after 3-6, if not earlier. I don't get nervous the night before, just have an ongoing sleep thing. Anyway, nice and sunny on waking up, this disappeared by the time breakfast landed on the table. Back to the hotel room as the 10k wasn’t due to start until 11am. Nerves do kick in a little once I start to change gear, that's always been the case. Generally fine on the start line.

Headed down the community centre, the half marathon folks were already in flow. Most looked OK, hard to judge early in the race. Left my gear at the centre, went to the start line for a few group photos. We made a hole for the top three half people to get through, man/woman/man. A woman won it in the end, afaik. Windy and dull here, temperature OK despite hugging the coastline. Spoke to a chap and said at least we wouldn’t be bored on the course. He asked if I was a runner in general and if I had a target. I said under 55 minutes. Truthfully, with all the caveats (hills/unknown course/advice from people here/gut feeling once I arrived on the island...), I hadn't given it a huge amount of thought. Even after I spoke to this chap I forgot about the 55 target. Too busy thinking of my plan and figuring out how I'd settle into the race.

Briefing points: Loop #1 - 6k, loop #2 - 4k.

And we’re off. A little packed until the field thinned out, good few marched on ahead. Down and around until we met the first volunteer/marshal, here comes the first hill. A field of sheep on the right and a great view of the island from a height. I was trying to mentally record each k in my head for this log, alas it's not all coming back. A few k in and more half folks were working their way through us 10k heads. I remember much later on, as the 10k signs were in km and the half were in miles, thinking around mile 10 and 11 markers, boy, I bet by now the half folks are hungry for the finish.

2-3k was the first water station. I didn't take any on, possibly why I had a mild headache later in the day. That or the the lack of sleep. Passed Inishbofin international airport :pac::pac::pac: little bit of a downward spin, then hanging left where a volunteer records our numbers, and we're up once more shortly thereafter. After we'd cleared a hill or two I found someone I decided to shadow. In my head I dubbed her black ponytail, black jacket. Did we have the same agenda, sitting through that first loop before pushing on during the second? I stayed mostly a few steps behind her to avoid annoyance.

Ticking along on to the 4k sign which was shortly before the graveyard. Somewhere here is where a half bloke on ahead pulled up briefly, his left leg didn't look 100%, same in the centre after the race - credit due, he finished. Around here is also (discovered in the evening) was a farm with some Tamworth pigs who were all huddled together. Shortly after 5k, I dropped the woman I was shadowing. Looked back after a while - no sign, would she come booming through later? The 6k marker was back at the main organisation point, parallel to the community centre, little bit of a hill and past the tower/start point once again. Couple of people out supporting and cheering.

Loop 1 completed - chest OK, legs OK, head OK - yes on all fronts. By this stage, I figured I had a fair chance of staying under 60 minutes. Would have been happy with that.

Loop 2, time to make progress. On my own time for most of the stretch after 6. Got to 7k, was this up at the school again? I forget. Btw, the school has a great timeline mural on its wall. Whilst not flagging, I was thinking where is that frickin' 8k sign, I can haz more speed now, plz. Weather at its most miserable here, but far from intolerable. Actually, earlier on, some of the stronger winds were inland, possibly because of the height, I suppose. Mindful not to go OTT in the 8-9km areas and keep a little in reserve, do enough to start picking people off. No one passed me in my final 3k - smug alert. :pac: Down, down...by the road parallel to the old pier, above the beach bar, passing the craft shop and church and new pier. A few more steps. Took a rather wide angle (unnecessarily!) into the road for the community centre and finish.

Two white lines sprayed on the tarmac. The half folks were coming from the other direction. My watch said 54:31:34. Garmin Connect - 54:31. Very happy with that, tbh. No chipped numbers or mats here. Don't know if the official results will go up online, it was just a guy (I can still hear the mighty accent) with a clipboard and a few others. Not sure how they managed when a cluster of people arrived at once. So glad to have had the 14 weeks/650km training under my belt, really helped to have a multi-pronged plan in my head. That includes one very important point drilled into us from the DCM, you can't make up time/miles. Could there have been a little more pep in my legs than I ultimately used? Ara, who cares?

Yesterday, generally executed, as follows:
    • Get a feel for the hills
    • Conserve energy on said hills
    • Shadow someone for a while
    • Don't let loose crazily so on the downward stretches
    • Where there is scope a bit of hectic pace, let your pulse settle a little once back on flat or if it's hill time
    • Feeling OK on those final few - vroom, vroom, etc!
    • Don't get sucked into the watch

Job done.

6:16 miles, at 8:51 average

Mile 1: 9:55mi
    Mile 2: 8:36mi
    Mile 3: 9:36mi
    Mile 4: 9:26mi
    Mile 5: 8:40mi
    Mile 6: 7:21mi
    Final 0.16: 5:49mi

Technically, not quite the full 10k/6.26 miles? I think to be expected for an amateur set up.

Sun 14/5

Slept better. Woke up to thoughts along the lines of wanting to run it all again? Yes! :D If in doubt, head West (Neady will be pleased).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've no running related brain power left tonight. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice one TBO, great running on a tough course :)

Indeed, West is most definitely best :)

You're making great progress, delighted to see you're dedication to the plan paying off. Don't forget to rest up this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Well done! Sounds like a lovely but tough course. Enjoy some rest:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Excellent report, seems like great craic :) although definitely not a place to visit if you're chasing a PB in either race.

Won't be long before I'm on that loop again myself. I'm thinking it would be a great double to be able to chalk up the Connemarathon and then the Inishbofin half a few weeks later.

Yep, go for the craic. Definitely a few Connemarathon people at this. I'd say it's a good back-to-back/step down on distance one shortly after Conn.

Plan for the week is indeed rest. Cycling about 50k a day next week, haven't decided on bringing running gear or not. If not, running will recommence the week of May 29th.

Oops, not sleeping again.

May 14th - 20th, rest.

Sun 21/5 - week of cycling, a few decent hills. :cool: And tight bends. :eek:

58km cycle from Lentiscosa, Cliento.

Dull and overcast. Enough rain to warrant covering up. About 18C.

Mon 22/5

Watch issues. :rolleyes:

33km cycle from Cape Palinuro up through Pisciotta and north of Marina di Casal Velino.

Temp about 25C.

Tues 23/5

58km cycle to Paestum. Seeing the ruins was a pleasant surprise.

Temp 21C.

Post-cycle, pre-dinner run.

4.33 miles, at 12:47 min/mi. Ran some of this on the beach. Soft sand is interesting. :pac:

Weds 24/5

Spent the morning looking around the Paestum ruins. Warm.

19km cycle to Minori.

Thurs 25/5

6am run
    3.92 miles.
    5x1 min @ whatever w/ 2 min recovery

Split |Time |Avg Pace
    1|1:20.1 |8:16
    2|1:56.3 |9:15
    3|1:12.2 |9:07
    4|1:18.8 |9:23
    5|1:21.1 |8:56

73km cycle from Minori to Sorrento and return. A few tricky parts, but very enjoyable. Poor weather landed, as forecast. Improved after 5pm.

Temp 19C.

Fri 26/5

No cycling. Lots and lots of steps from Minori to Ravello and Amalfi. Seemingly, there's an ultra in this part of the world, having walked some of the steps...eh yeah.

Sat 27/5

4.45 miles. Pre-flight run at 5:40am around Minori 13.02 min/mi. Watch was all over the shop starting out. At one point it said I was doing 5:05 on a hill. I wasn't uncomfortable on the climb, but technology...

A little windy as this is on the coast, but it was not chilly ~15C. Glad I took the runners on holidays. Great trip anyway. Was told I had 'a lot of stamina', even though I'm not a cyclist. Lord knows I could do with a new bike. Triathlon next year? Who knows. :o I'm taking the plans from here helped my fitness.

Sun 28/5

Rest

Cycling: 241 km
    Running: 12.7 miles

Mon 29/5

Rest

Tues 30/5

Working late, no run

Weds 31/5

First run on Irish soil since May 13th/Inishbofin, I think. Pleasant. Left my watch in the toilet cubicle in work, didn't realise until I was walking downstairs. Watch also in metric from cycling (mode was back to running). Carried water on this one, might do this from now on - blame the cycling trip. Was overtaken at some point by a speeding bullet chap in blue Dublin series t-shirt.

Warm up - 1 mile
    60 minutes @ very easy. 4.63 miles @ 12:58
    Cool down - 1 mile

Planning ahead, looking at the 10k-HM section of the graduates plan for the next few weeks. Will do a few bits whilst keeping a few pointers from the improvers thread in the main forum in mind. Maybe a park run at the end of the June/early July, then revise paces yet again.

Revised paces (new link) Will take a while to learn these as the old ones are still in my head.

Pace|
    Very Easy |13:10 - 12:16
    Easy |12:13 - 11:47
    Easy/Moderate| 11:24 - 11:02
    Moderate |10:42 - 10:23
    Easy Tempo |10:06 - 9:50
    Tempo |9:34 - 9:20
    Threshold| 9:06 - 8:53
    CV |8:41 - 8:30
    Aerobic Power |8:19 - 8:09
    V.O2 Max |7:59 - 7:50
    Anaerobic Endurance| 7:33 - 7:17
    Anaerobic Power |7:03 - 6:50
    Speed Endurance |6:40 - 6:28
    Speed |6:18 - 6:08

• Advertisement

Mon 29/5

Rest

Tues 30/5

Working late, no run

Weds 31/5

First run on Irish soil since May 13th/Inishbofin, I think. Pleasant. Left my watch in the toilet cubicle in work, didn't realise until I was walking downstairs. Watch also in metric from cycling (mode was back to running). Carried water on this one, might do this from now on - blame the cycling trip. Was overtaken at some point by a speeding bullet chap in blue Dublin series t-shirt.

Warm up - 1 mile
    60 minutes @ very easy. 4.63 miles @ 12:58
    Cool down - 1 mile

Planning ahead, looking at the 10k-HM section of the graduates plan for the next few weeks. Will do a few bits whilst keeping a few pointers from the improvers thread in the main forum in mind. Maybe a park run at the end of the June/early July, then revise paces yet again.

Revised paces (new link) Will take a while to learn these as the old ones are still in my head.

Pace|
    Very Easy |13:10 - 12:16
    Easy |12:13 - 11:47
    Easy/Moderate| 11:24 - 11:02
    Moderate |10:42 - 10:23
    Easy Tempo |10:06 - 9:50
    Tempo |9:34 - 9:20
    Threshold| 9:06 - 8:53
    CV |8:41 - 8:30
    Aerobic Power |8:19 - 8:09
    V.O2 Max |7:59 - 7:50
    Anaerobic Endurance| 7:33 - 7:17
    Anaerobic Power |7:03 - 6:50
    Speed Endurance |6:40 - 6:28
    Speed |6:18 - 6:08

Out of interest what are you using to calculate those training paces?

Good luck with the .goals

The Muppet wrote: »
    Out of interest what are you using to calculate those training paces?

Good luck with the .goals

The site that's in the Myles's spreadsheet stopped working a while ago. But someone posted the new link in the improvers thread.

http://www.runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

Cheers for that. I had downloaded a spreadsheet myles upload and was using that . Paces are similar to your link.

Thurs 1/6

8x1 min hills (2-3 min rec)
    5.72 miles, incl warm up/cool down.

Warm up longer than usual as I debated where would be best for hill practice. Not much here that's ideal, decent continuous hill...some dip in the middle. One or two, perhaps. Out towards Skerries is probably the steepest, but a bit dodgy due to the levels and speed of traffic. And as this was a Weds routine, I made a mistake and only did 7, not 8. Hills OK, more heavy going in the chest department, probably went too fast in the first few.

1|6:04
    2|6:19
    3|6:08
    4|6:20
    5|6:26
    6|6:40
    7|6:38

Fri 2/6

Rest

Sat 3/6

25 min tempo
    9:36 min/mi
    4.66 miles incl warm up/cool down

Had to stop briefly as I was asked for directions. Weather was overcast. My watch displayed a message about the lap database being almost full. A little wary of deleting the history, but all was fine as I had uploaded to Garmin Connect. Have turned off the auto lap feature for now.

Gym. Car park was pretty dead.

Sun 4/6

1 hour 45, easy
    8.78 miles, 11:58 min/mi
    Warm up/cool down 1 mile each

Been a while since I've done a Sunday 1 hour 45 spin, er, 12th of March, I think (5-10k plan). Beautiful morning. Couple of runners and cyclists out. Stopped at 2.75 miles to take off my shoe, fixed my sock - no more friction. :cool:

10k-HM

Week 1: 27.79 miles

10k-HM, Week 2

Mon 5/6

Rest. Yapped in the improvers thread.

Tues 6/6

60 minutes very easy. 4.66 miles at 12:54 min/mi. Warm up/cool down 1 mile each. Close call between a cyclist and a car. No words exchanged or horn used, a bit dodgy.

Colleague in work has signed up for DCM. We share an office, so I won't be able to close my ears to mileage and other related topics. Am hoping there won't be much in the way of comparison.

Tomorrow - CV.

Weds - 7/6

Squirrel in the car park at work. :D Wet evening for a run. Clingy shirts can cut into the chest area a little bit - might wear cycling cream in the future. No one else out, that I saw. Typical Weds as regards making mistakes, all too slow re CV. More of a judgement issue than ability.

6x3 min CV w/3 min rec. 5.84 miles, incl warm up.

Split|Avg Pace
    1|8:58
    2|9:06
    3|8:59
    4|8:47
    5|8:54
    6|8:51

Thurs - 8/6

60 min very easy. 6.86 miles (at 12:34 min/mi) incl warm up. 5.54 miles, incl warm up.

Fri - 9/6

Rest. Bought some chocolate milk due to the discussion in the novices thread. Found out my local club offers LSRs during DCM season, so am going to take them up on that for the summer. It'll be good to have company on Sunday mornings. Trying to think how I'll juggle this into a plan, though, may involve some chopping and changing re Saturdays and Sundays i.e. creating a good spreadsheet with things in the right order!

Sat - 10/6

5x5 min @ Threshold w/ 2 min rec. A little closer to the mark here with 3-5.

Split|Avg Pace
    1|9:16
    2|9:13
    3|9:03
    4|8:59
    5|9:05

Thinking back to my holidays (still avoiding sorting all pics...) a few weeks ago. Some of the cycling folks said Garmin tends to be over-generous in its calorie figures. Not really a stat I examine much, tbh.

Sun 11/5

1 hr 45 easy. 10.81 miles, incl. warm up/cool down. 11:59 min/mi.

Dull and overcast starting out, sun appeared about 35 minutes in. Headed up beyond Baldongan Castle. Haven't gone past it/close to Loughshinny since training last year. Was tired enough afterwards, didn't sleep all that well.

10k-HM.
    Week 1: 27.79 miles
    Week 2: 35.71 miles

Time for a change of plan re plans. I'm going to redo the base plan and then go into the intermediate plan to build towards DCM. Going to head out with a club on Sundays for LSRs (they're kind enough to offer this to non-members, though I may sign up anyway), after finishing the base plan. Busy two weeks ahead with work meetings, starting tomorrow.

Going to leave off spelling out when I've done warm up/cool down. It's a mile either side of each routine.

Base plan, the Sequel - Week 1.

Mon 12/6

Rest. Committee stuff. Home at about 8:30.

Tues 13/6

45 min very easy
    5.56 miles at 12:48 min/mi

Didn't sleep well the night before. Sleepy on the morning drive, not good. 20 degrees according to the car on the drive home. Have developed a blister on the right middle toe area.

Weds 14/6

60 min progression (Easy to MP)

Stayed an extra hour at the office to get stuff done. Didn't start the run until after 6:30. Wasn't sure on the best approach here, decided to try and break it into six 10 minute blocks and see how that would pan out. Not sure what my MP is supposed to be, it was mentioned in the improvers thread (iirc), but was a little wary. I did enjoy the progression aspect, though!

Split|Pace
    1|12:20
    2|11:25
    3|10:47
    4|10:46
    5|10:08
    6|9:51

Thurs 15/6

45 min very easy
    5.65 miles at 12:23 min/mi

Friday 16/6

Gym. Showers were...vile. :(

Sat 17/6

40 min easy + 10x100m strides (AP with full recovery).
    7.61 miles

Yeah, strides, what are they again? I've done this plan before, I should know. Went a bit too fast too. :rolleyes:

Sunburn Saturday. :o Oh, Garmin changed its dashboard thing.

Gym.

Last bit of chocolate milk from the current bottle will be finished tomorrow. :pac: Finished latest House of Cards.

Sun 18/6

90 minutes easy
    9.68 miles at 11:55 min/mi

Street noise, glass bottles and the like. Not much sleep last night. Was pretty warm too. Think yesterday was also the warmest Saturday so far, hence sunburn. Started the watch just after 9am today. P20 was applied after breakfast. Headed out the usual Sunday route, busy morning for cyclists. Oldest pair of shoes (DCM ones) now confined to the bin, the heals have been shredded for sometime. I carry water, but see there's been talk of stashing some, trying to find a good spot is the tricky part. Noticed the bars I've bought don't have a huge amount of protein. They're at the lower end on price, and worked last year. Pretty tired today, not sure if that's because of yesterday or the sleep.

Base plan
    Week 1: 36.33 miles.

• Advertisement

Base plan - Week 2.

Mon 19/6

Committee stuff and planning. Made some Odlums bars to try them out.

Tues - Weather 20/6

45 minutes very easy
    5.73 miles at 12:39 min/mi

Weather was inevitably talk of the office...even light jumpers/tops are too much. Threw on sun cream before my run. Forgot my sunglasses shortly after starting, back to the car time. Run - all fine. Starting to think of the protein situation a little more and need to look into this again, more so for lsrs.

Advertisement