Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning of EU flag outside Cork City Hall tomorrow, Monday 9th May at 10am

Options
  • 08-05-2016 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

As tomorrow is Europe Day, it's no surprise that all throughout Europe tomorrow people will be burning the EU flag.
    Come to Cork City hall where the CPPC will burn the EU Flag in conjunction with #‎Irexit‬ campaign. Heres the link to the event and what not. https://www.facebook.com/events/1118484748203007/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Nah your grand thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jesus. Would you be bothered. G'wan away and do something productive with the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Burning flags is cretinous behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash

Go to work instead

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dobz95

I work nights, the joys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Burning a flag? Has Ireland turned into some middle Eastern country whilst I've been away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

18 people on the facebook page SAYING they are going.

This is going to be KRAY-Z!!!

Ye can all head to McDonalds afterwards for Happy Meals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Burning a flag? Has Ireland turned into some middle Eastern country whilst I've been away?

Well traveled then

15ofbq0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Under EU directives flags are safely flame retardant, so you're grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

dobz95 wrote: »
    As tomorrow is Europe Day, it's no surprise that all throughout Europe tomorrow people will be burning the EU flag.
    Come to Cork City hall where the CPPC will burn the EU Flag in conjunction with #‎Irexit‬ campaign. Heres the link to the event and what not. https://www.facebook.com/events/1118484748203007/

Probably the most ridiculous idea I ever heard.

What is burning a flag going to change? Such a silly thing to do.

• Advertisement

Tbh its a moronic idea though. The EU might need a few major tweaks here and there but it's far from the evil empire that people keep attempting to paint it as and actually has plenty of good points.

Engage with it and change it rather than just going off on a flag burning nonsense.

If nobody takes things like EP elections and appointments of Commissioners seriously what exactly do they expect the outcome to be?

We seem to have a lot of people very keen to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

How about we all sit down and have a reasoned debate about the pros and cons of being in the EU instead of standing out in the cold and burning a piece of fabric?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

enzo roco wrote: »
    Probably the most ridiculous idea I ever heard.

What is burning a flag going to change? Such a silly thing to do.

With a little bit of luck some of them might wrap themselves in the flag first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash

Well traveled then

15ofbq0.jpg

Enough said in that pic.

Sure what has the EU ever done for Cork?

I mean other than all all those countless projects like; roads, the massive main drainage works that destinkified the city, money towards repaving the city centre, Erasmus, freedom of movement for countless Corkonians who regularly work across the EU, access to a massive market that is the main reason that many local and international business can actually be here ...

Without access to all that tons of local indigenous businesses wouldn't exist and the multinationals wouldn't be here.

Sure we were better off under Cromwell and the Navigation Acts no doubt...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

LeBash wrote: »
    Enough said in that pic.

About what? Yer mans point that we don't burn flags in Ireland and it's only something that done by middle eastern radicals? whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 critic_12

Come to Cork City hall where the CPPC will burn the EU Flag in conjunction with #‎Irexit‬ campaign. Heres the link to the event and what not.

Sorry Dobz. Have a life and a job and better things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

If I'm cross with our new government will it be ok if I burn the Irish tricolour? Don't these flags represent peoples rather than governments?
    But I suppose it has to be ok if some gobshyt burns a flag a thousand miles away. There goes the gobshyt. I'm his disciple. Therefore I must follow since I don't have a mind of my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Why??????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I can't make it to Cork. Are there any other flag burning events taking place around the country?
    Where can you buy an EU flag? I checked Carrolls and they had none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 dobz95

Statement from CPPC (The group organizing the protest and flag burning tomorrow):

"The protest is against the increasing infringement of the European Union on our national rights and the consequences this has on the lives of the people. The flag burning is a symbolic act of defiance – especially appropriate in this Centenary year of the 1916 Rising and the proclamation of our sovereign right.

Today's EU is not a union of states based on equality and mutual benefit, as envisaged when we joined the EEC in 1972.

Our European 'partners' have dictated to us:
    -They have stolen the greater part of our sovereign national territory by taking our fishing rights.
    -They have imposed debts on us and future generations of Irish people that were never ours.
    -They have forced us to pay nearly half the cost of rescuing the Euro currency from failure - disproportionately more than ANY other EU member.
    -The EU's industrial and trade policy has resulted in almost eliminating domestic manufacturing. Our agriculture, crop growing and related industries are in crisis.

We should strive for a Europe of equals, ending big-state domination and the rule of corporate and banking monopolies.
    Now the EU intends to impose TTIP (TransatlanticTrade & Investment Partnership), ISDS (Investor-State Dispute Settlement) and TISA (Trade in Services Agreement), these will further erode what little say we have left in our own Governance.."

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Joey Jo-Jo Junior

Why the hell would I do that? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Why not just burn Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Sorry Dobz bud, but I have to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Why not just burn Cork?

Somebody already did, though that was probably also the EU/Israel/The Government's fault too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

So burn the flag if you must, but before you do, you better burn a few other things! You better burn your shirt and your pants! Be sure to burn your TV and car! Oh yes, and don't forget to burn your house! Because none of those things could exist without six white stripes, seven red stripes, a blue background and a hell of a lot of stars! (12)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Personally I hope the EU is gone very soon, but this burning stuff is embarrassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Personally I hope the EU is gone very soon

Why?

Seriously, why?

There's lots of good in being part of the EU, and not wanting to be an effective vassal state of the UK is a nice bonus.

There's a lot being said about the fishing rights we have given up - we have given up significant fishing rights, but I don't remember us being rich because of them before the EU.

Plus, we'd have to put a fortune into patrolling them to avoid Spanish super trawlers coming and pillaging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I hope he tells us to burn our pants. These things are chafing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why?

Seriously, why?

There's lots of good in being part of the EU, and not wanting to be an effective vassal state of the UK is a nice bonus.

There's a lot being said about the fishing rights we have given up - we have given up significant fishing rights, but I don't remember us being rich because of them before the EU.

Plus, we'd have to put a fortune into patrolling them to avoid Spanish super trawlers coming and pillaging them.

We are Rich? Really?

We spend 800million alone funding other EU countries

We have serious Homeless Crisis, Unemployment are still at poor level.

This whole thing that it's all doom and gloom if UK left EU is laughable.

It's scaring people and it's working.

EU wont be around for much longer be it good or bad thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement