Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning of EU flag outside Cork City Hall tomorrow, Monday 9th May at 10am

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Honest question, are you jarred? Why so hostile and what the hell is 'sniffy'? I thought you were making some point about being 'taught at university'...to be honest I couldn't make sense of your point in either spelling which is why I asked, I still can't.

And you are asking am I jarred ? I am not hostile at all

You made a slightly pompous post based on family experience bringing patriotism etc into it when most people of that generation would have consider any CS job the holy grail.

I even added a caveat before I replied to you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Completely agree with the burning of the flag. The EU is a disgusting corrupt idea that needs to be scrapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

psheaser wrote: »
    EU is a farce, race to the bottom.

I envy the fact Britain has a referendum coming up, if only our politicans had some balls.

Down with the union.

Ireland would be far better off leaving the EU.

If Ireland had a vote on in or out of the EU they would just keep getting us to vote until the establishment got the result they wanted. Democracy died in Europe after Nice and Lisbon referendums.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

How many afforded mortgages in the pre EU utopia ? Very, very few.

Housing was one of the great achievements in the 50s and 60s in this country.

That's well documented

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

marienbad wrote: »
    And you are asking am I jarred ? I am not hostile at all

You made a slightly pompous post based on family experience bringing patriotism etc into it when most people of that generation would have consider any CS job the holy grail.

I even added a caveat before I replied to you .

If it was what you or other family members consider the CS 'the holy grail' back then perhaps it wasn't within their reach? That doesn't mean you should begrudge those that were working in it...either way, this is a boring and tired old argument particularly when you read of Gardaí starting on 23k these days

• Advertisement

Superhorse wrote: »
    If Ireland had a vote on in or out of the EU they would just keep getting us to vote until the establishment got the result they wanted. Democracy died in Europe after Nice and Lisbon referendums.

So what if they kept getting us to vote , we could have kept voting no if that is what we wished .

Why do people have a problem with this ? Was it wrong to have a second divorce referendum or the two referenda on PR , Should we never have a vote on the 8th amendment again ?

If it was what you or other family members consider the CS 'the holy grail' back then perhaps it wasn't within their reach? That doesn't mean you should begrudge those that were working in it...either way, this is a boring and tired old argument particularly when you read of Gardaí starting on 23k these days

There is no begrudging anybody .

You see this is why I think it is always a bad idea to bring specific family matters into a public thread .

A CS job was the holy grail back then , that is just a fact of life and in many cases it had nothing to do with what was 'within their reach'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

There is no begrudging anybody .

You see this is why I think it is always a bad idea to bring specific family matters into a public thread .

I brought a specific family matter into a thread to highlight something which was relevant to a pre and post EU, you chose to attack it with some public sector pension snipe, was it necessary?
    A CS job was the holy grail back then , that is just a fact of life and in many cases it had nothing to do with what was 'within their reach'.

If it was the holy grail I've no idea where the rewards were going, we saw none of it because it wasn't there. As I said, the civil service being this "holy grail" or whatever else argument both then and now is very tiring, by saying "that is just a fact" isn't really worth arguing with someone about...let it be known they have open competition for lots of grades at the moment so reach for the holy grail and reap the benefits for the rest of your days, it's not a private club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm embarrassed for myself that this thread has got to 14 pages without me noticing it. Absolutely nothing to do with Cork City. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of the EU then head on over to the politics forum. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement