Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pesky cat

• 08-05-2016 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

Iv got a cat calling around every night fighting with my cats and spraying all over the sheds. I know who owns him & they won't care if I complained about it, they've got about 15 cats. He eats whatever food my cats have left, beats them up, wees all over the shed including the cats bowls and makes so much noise that it sets my dogs off barking. I let the terriers out of the house to chase him away, which they do, but he always comes back once I bring them back inside. He also knows to only come once the big dogs are put in their pen for the night, he keeps them barking all night too, which isn't fair on the neighbours. I can only feed my cats after the dogs have gone to bed last thing at night but whatever amount of food he is getting is very small as I only give my cats what they will eat.
    Iv neutered 2 of their cats before who I had the same problem with & rehomed another who moved in and kept fighting with my own cats. I'm really sick of them at this stage.he seems to be wild or semi wild so asking an animal rescue to take him isn't an option & I'm not paying to get another one of their cats neutered & having my car smell like tom cat urine for 6 months from the trip to the vet. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Can you switch to feeding your cats inside so that he stops associating your garden with being fed. If there are up to 15 cats where he is coming from then your garden and your cats bowls are an easy food source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

2 of our cats are semi feral and don't even come near the house, never mind come into it. I suppose I could feed mine half an hour earlier and take away the food bowls when they are done but I think he would still come around anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I keep my cats indoors. We don't live in an especially busy place (though there is a busy N road a few fields over), but the 14-year-olds lived almost all their lives in an American city where they never went out because it was just too dangerous. We were letting them run around the garden for a while until they discovered that fences were things they could climb. Yes, they're neutered, microchipped, and collar tagged. I know it's the thing here to allow cats to roam, but they're just not used to that. If it's too dangerous to let cats out, I think it's a no-brainer to keep them in for their own safety.

Thanks.

Fair enough. My family was surprised by how callous I was willing to be but I didn't see another realistic solution as I didn't know who owned the tom. Removing the threat was my least preferred option but I saw it as the only one that could actually work. Kitty was a dote but he killed her. Hopefully that won't happen to yours.

Talking to the owner is another approach. They might be willing to keep their cat indoors and never let it outdoors, ever again. I don't think that's a realistic outcome. Have you considered keeping your cat indoors and never letting it outside again?

They have a farm & loads of cats,they don't care about them,they are not pets & are probably not even fed & definitely not neutered.
    Our cats are all outdoor cats too.they don't come into the house at all. Our house cat died over a year ago & we agreed to never have another one cos everyone was so upset when she died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,573 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

fathead82 wrote:
    They have a farm & loads of cats,they don't care about them,they are not pets & are probably not even fed & definitely not neutered. Our cats are all outdoor cats too.they don't come into the house at all. Our house cat died over a year ago & we agreed to never have another one cos everyone was so upset when she died.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your last cat. If the owners don't even care enough to get them neutered, then I don't have any more suggestions.

It's a 3 patch problem. Best of luck. I hope it works out for you and your kitty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

It might be worth you phoning around a few rescue places, as with our ferals, they were trapped, neutered and then returned. At least that would solve the problem with your car (been there - done that...) Explain it's a feral that is beating up your cats and you just want to get the aggression dealt with, which the neutering should help with.

Then, I would think it's a case of protecting your guys food so this boy doesn't have a chance to eat it for them?

I know not ideal, but have you considered putting a bowl out just for this boy? We have several ferals which (have been trapped, neutered and released) come and we feed them - they don't tend to hang about much them. Having said that, all our other cats are shut in at night - to keep them away from the wildlife and off the roads. Would that be an option for your cats? Would help out your local wildlife hugely???

I hope you get this sorted - it is annoying. And shame on your neighbours...

kathleen37 wrote: »
    It might be worth you phoning around a few rescue places, as with our ferals, they were trapped, neutered and then returned. At least that would solve the problem with your car (been there - done that...) Explain it's a feral that is beating up your cats and you just want to get the aggression dealt with, which the neutering should help with.

Then, I would think it's a case of protecting your guys food so this boy doesn't have a chance to eat it for them?

I know not ideal, but have you considered putting a bowl out just for this boy? We have several ferals which (have been trapped, neutered and released) come and we feed them - they don't tend to hang about much them. Having said that, all our other cats are shut in at night - to keep them away from the wildlife and off the roads. Would that be an option for your cats? Would help out your local wildlife hugely???

I hope you get this sorted - it is annoying. And shame on your neighbours...

I'm going to start taking away the food bowls at night when mine have finished eating.I doubt any spcas would help as we are in a very rural area.
    My cats keep the rats & mice out of the sheds so locking them in at night isn't really an option either.
    I'll give it another few weeks & if he hasn't got the hint,I'll just have to trap & neuter him. I suppose it's the only way to solve it.

fathead82 wrote: »
    I'm going to start taking away the food bowls at night when mine have finished eating.I doubt any spcas would help as we are in a very rural area.
    My cats keep the rats & mice out of the sheds so locking them in at night isn't really an option either.
    I'll give it another few weeks & if he hasn't got the hint,I'll just have to trap & neuter him. I suppose it's the only way to solve it.

Yeah, we're very rural too and no spcas here, it was one of our local volunteer rescues that brought the traps out for us. Might be worth having a look on facebook for somewhere local? Or ask and someone here may know and be able to pm you details? They are generally really pleased that they aren't being asked to rehome and obvs are always on for some neutering.

I'm in Donegal if you're up this way so could forward you on some details of somewhere that may be able to help.

I'm in the Midlands, the nearest spca is a half hour drive away, iv borrowed a trap from them before. Transport is up to whoever borrowed the trap so ill need to figure out how not to have the smell of cat wee in my car for 6 months if it comes to having to get him neutered. I'll work on trying to encourage him to go somewhere else for a few weeks before I contact the spca to borrow a trap. There's no sight/sound/smell of him so far tonight anyway but I'm sure he's lurking somewhere nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Some posts have been removed.

Just a reminder that any suggestions of killing pets or advocating cruelty to animals are not permitted here. Don't do it. If someone else does it please don't quote the post, report it.

Thanks.
    AJ.

• Advertisement

Lots and lots of newspaper (and something waterproof if you have it) under the trap, then cover it with towels or a blanket when you put it in the car (or at any time really) The darkness should calm him down - and if it doesn't, should at least stop the pee and anything else flying about the car.

Good luck and well done for taking care of him. Your neighbours are rubbish but you're excellent!

Advertisement