Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer constantly going offline

Options
  • 09-05-2016 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone can help me sort out this problem. We have just purchased a new printer and it is constantly going offline, despite the printer being powered on and connected to the wifi network, it appears the printer and computer aren't talking to each other properly as when the printer trouble shooter is ran on the laptop, it says the printer is turned off (when it isn't).

As background, we have an old desktop, running Windows 7 and a new laptop running Windows 10. I don't believe there is any homesharing set on them. The laptop is a HP laptop and the printer is a HP 6820

The router has the main network and a guest network. The printer is connected to the guest network currently. We have tried setting it to both the main and guest network but still have the same problem of it going offline when the printer is idle. The guest network was setup as my parents frequently have backpackers who live with them so it was set up for them to use (and for dad to cut off when they exceed the monthly download limit:pac:)

When I ran the diagnositic print test page it says it is set up properly and I get the following:

Wireless on - PASS
    Wireless working - PASS
    Signal quality = very good

Connected - Pass
    Disconnet count total - 1
    Dissconnect count (last hour) - 0
    Disconnect count (last 24hrs) - 0

Network name (SSID) found - PASS
    Other networks detected matching your network name - No
    Wireless networks detected - 7

Printer settings consistent with wireless router settings - PASS
    No Filtering - PASS
    Channel - 11
    Security - PASS

Network name: diane
    hardware address: dc:4a:3e:9d:4a:ad
    IP address: 192.168.0.5
    Configuration source: DCHP
    Comm Mode: Infrastructure
    Authentication type: WPS=PSK
    Encryption: automatic (AES or TKIP)
    Internet : Connected.

When I was installing the printer, it connected to the network, but it took a long time to get the laptop to recognise it. I eventually had to install the HP troubleshooter and unplugging the router & printer finally made it work, however I shouldn't have to do that every time I want to print. I know it's something to do with the network - how can I get them talking to each other properly so the printer isn't going offline constantly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm tearing my hair out now as I've been at this for days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,681 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Frist thing I would do is instal the latest driver for the printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Frist thing I would do is instal the latest driver for the printer.

Thanks, I have done that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

mel.b wrote: »

Network name: diane
    hardware address: dc:4a:3e:9d:4a:ad
    IP address: 192.168.0.5

Configuration source: DHCP

Comm Mode: Infrastructure
    Authentication type: WPS=PSK
    Encryption: automatic (AES or TKIP)
    Internet : Connected.

To start with, change the two highlighted bits through the printer control

Set the "Configuration source: DHCP" to static

and pick an IP address outside the range of IP s the router hands out automatically

( normally the router would hand out something like 192.168.0.1 all the way up to 192.168.0.100 automatically )

What kind of router have you ?

gctest50 wrote: »
    To start with, change the two highlighted bits through the printer control

Set the "Configuration source: DHCP" to static

and pick an IP address outside the range of IP s the router hands out automatically

( normally the router would hand out something like 192.168.0.1 all the way up to 192.168.0.100 automatically )

What kind of router have you ?

Thanks so much. I think it's a NETGEAR48.

I wasn't able to log into the printer configuration using the IP I had listed above, so I had to unplug the router & printer, which then generated a new IP. With that IP I was able to log into the printer configuration.

I can't find anywhere in there to change the DHCP to static :confused:

I was then following these instructions http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249080 to set up a manual connection. After entering the IP etc, and clicking apply, the laptop said it couldn't connect to the printer. However I tried to print a document and it printed and the manual IP details I entered where there. I turned the laptop & printer off, left them and turned them back on and was able to print, so I thought it might have been fixed. However approx. 10min later I tried to print another doc and it wouldn't print, back to offline and I couldn't log into the printer settings again. So once again, unplugging the router etc, printer saying connected, laptop couldn't find it, I removed the device altogether from the laptop and started again. I had to restart the laptop to get the printer to show up so I could connect/install it again. Finally got it connected, using that same manual ip I had entered.

So I'm not sure if I should leave it on these manual IP settings as it's still not working properly. If I can find where to change the DHCP to static that would help I think.

After you set an IP address by hand, you need to add it as a second printer device :

Step 7: Add a second printer device to Windows (network connections only)

Search Windows for devices, and then select Devices and Printers in the list of results.

Right-click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

The Properties window opens.

Click the Ports tab, and then click Add Port.

Click New Port Type.

Type the printer’s IP Address that you wrote down earlier, and then click Next.

Select the new port from the list, and then click OK.

You might see a second printer device display in the list of devices. Do not uninstall either printer device. Leave both printer devices.

gGURLyt.jpg

CaR7o9x.jpg

..... Finally got it connected, using that same manual ip I had entered......

It has probably remembered the address like its supposed to do, if you print the status page again you might see "static" or " manually assigned " instead of "dhcp"

You could try connecting the printer to the router with a cable ( if you have one ) to eliminate wireless issues
    b3oWaST.jpg

• Advertisement

After you set an IP address by hand, you need to add it as a second printer device :

It has probably remembered the address like its supposed to do, if you print the status page again you might see "static" or " manually assigned " instead of "dhcp"

You could try connecting the printer to the router with a cable ( if you have one ) to eliminate wireless issues

I tried adding it just then as a second device and I can't see where/how to enter the IP...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/368k5uwikhgz4rd/Untitled%201.odt?dl=0

The router is in a different room to the printer so that wouldn't work, however we do have the USB cable for the printer, so if need be we'll connect it up that way. I'd prefer to get it working wirelessly though, one because it will be easier and two, I don't want to let this problem beat me!

you need to add it as a "Standard Tcp/Ip" port, highlight it under "Available Port Types"

Kill off the " Installing Port Monitor" window first

21245ym.jpg
    ............and two, I don't want to let this problem beat me!

:)

Yes, I needed to select tcp/ip but then 'new port', not 'add new port. However I now get this error message

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0884tw7ho474cw0/Untitled%202.odt?dl=0

I hope you can read it ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Can you ping the printers IP address?

Power the printer off/on again and see if it picks it up

you'll have to click " < Back" on the Add Standard TCP/IP Port Wizard thingy

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    Can you ping the printers IP address?

how do I do that?

Power the printer off/on again and see if it picks it up

you'll have to click " < Back" on the Add Standard TCP/IP Port Wizard thingy

No luck after turning the printer off and on again :(

how do I do that?

Hit Windows key + R, type "cmd" - you should then see small black window
    In there, type "ping 192.168.?.?" - question marks should be the rest of th eIP address you have (assuming your DHCP server is giving out 192.168. addresses).

If successful, you should see some replies. This is the first thing we need to ensure is working

Examples of failed and successful pings here

Hit Windows key + R, type "cmd" - you should then see small black window
    In there, type "ping 192.168.?.?" - question marks should be the rest of th eIP address you have (assuming your DHCP server is giving out 192.168. addresses).

If successful, you should see some replies. This is the first thing we need to ensure is working

No, doesn't seem to be working, saying 'request timed out'

No, doesn't seem to be working, saying 'request timed out'

OK, we need to establish the IP address of the printer. Do you have an android phone by any chance? If so, download as app called Fing. You can run it to scan your network and it will tell you all the IP addresses of the devices attached to it - actually a quick google tells me there is an apple version too.

OK, we need to establish the IP address of the printer. Do you have an android phone by any chance? If so, download as app called Fing. You can run it to scan your network and it will tell you all the IP addresses of the devices attached to it - actually a quick google tells me there is an apple version too.

It's still showing as 192.168.0.4 -it's the one with HP next to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpussy5bmlg036n/Photo%2009-05-2016%2C%2015%2010%2028.png?dl=0

can you show us a screenshot of your ping results to that address, please?

The joys of wireless printing!

can you show us a screenshot of your ping results to that address, please?

The joys of wireless printing!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0fm7ond6hfh0g7/Photo%2009-05-2016%2C%2015%2018%2014.jpg?dl=0

It's a nightmare - it shouldn't be so difficult :mad:

TBH none of the IT depts I've ever worked for would support wireless printing because it can be a bit uncooperative when it feels like it.

For testing purposes, is it possible to temporarily move the printer and cable it to your router? You'll likely get a second IP address. See if you can get a successful ping while connected.

Ok, I've moved the printer and connected it to the router. Will I need to set that up as a new connection or will it be ok?

• Advertisement

Ok, I've moved the printer and connected it to the router. Will I need to set that up as a new connection or will it be ok?

No should be fine. Check Fing again and ping the IP address (there should be a new IP for your cabled connection)

EDIT, actually try to ping the original wireless IP also now that you're closer to the router.

Awesome results! :(

I can't think of a reason why a home printer would have ICMP turned off - nor have I seen one set as such before. While it's cabled, can you run through the setup that you originally did (I'm guessing with a HP CD of some sort)?

Are you able to ping your gateway? In command prompt where you've been running the ping commands, type "ipconfig". A few lines down you should see a Default Gateway address. Try to ping that

EDIT - also I'll apologise in advance as I'm up for work now so replies will be a lot more sporadic

Awesome results! :(

I can't think of a reason why a home printer would have ICMP turned off - nor have I seen one set as such before. While it's cabled, can you run through the setup that you originally did (I'm guessing with a HP CD of some sort)?

Are you able to ping your gateway? In command prompt where you've been running the ping commands, type "ipconfig". A few lines down you should see a Default Gateway address. Try to ping that

EDIT - also I'll apologise in advance as I'm up for work now so replies will be a lot more sporadic

What's the ICMP? I'll try running a set up with it connected to the router.

Just tried to ping the default gateway. Getting exactly the same results as the others - request timed out x 4

No prob re: sporadic replies, I really appreciate the help whenever I can get it :)

Ok, just had a pop up message - couldn't get the exact wording but something to the effect that Windows Connect and the WiFi are on different channels - will that have any impact on things not working properly?

What's the ICMP? ....

Ping uses ICMP to suss out problems etc between things

ICMP = Internet Control Message Protocol

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/170292

Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) is an error reporting and diagnostic utility and is considered a required part of any IP implementation.

Just tried to ping the default gateway. Getting exactly the same results as the others - request timed out x 4

That's odd, anti-virus or something blocking it ?

I'll try turning off the firewall and see if that makes a difference.

That's odd, anti-virus or something blocking it ?

Very odd. OP, restart your router and try the ping again. If that fails, restart the computer and test again.

Is it a laptop? Are you definitely connected to the same network?

Very odd. OP, restart your router and try the ping again. If that fails, restart the computer and test again.

I'll try restarting the router again.

Yes it's a laptop. I'm pretty certain it's connected to the same network (the 'diane' network)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7u4akv6h8vfqxh/Photo%2009-05-2016%2C%2016%2022%2041.jpg?dl=0

• Advertisement

No luck with either ping, both after restarting the router and after restarting the computer. Still saying request timed out.

Advertisement