Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer constantly going offline

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Try from the other computer and see maybe ?

If " diane " is the guest network and you are connected to that , it may not allow you to ping anything

( or allow you to access anything plugged into the router directly )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Was able to ping from the desktop PC. results below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22vu2jylooq5z3y/Photo%2009-05-2016%2C%2016%2057%2053.jpg?dl=0

I then tried the two ips for the printer from the desktop but got no reply.

I also posted on the hp support forum. Got a reply not to use the guest network?

mel.b wrote: »
    .............Got a reply not to use the guest network?

Yip, the idea is your guests can't go nosing around yoru home network

gctest50 wrote: »
    Yip, the idea is your guests can't go nosing around yoru home network

Would it affect the printer being connected & working though, having it connected to the guest network?

Would it affect the printer being connected & working though, having it connected to the guest network?

It may stop it from being " discovered " by other computers

( randomly of course ! )

• Advertisement

Ok, i'll try to put it on the main network and the hard reset (although i've dine a hard reset several times, normally om conjunction with resetting the router)

Ok, I've connected the printer to the main network and have a completely new ip 169.254.74.173. I was able to get this well I pinged it from the laptop (timed out when pinged from the desktop)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q98xtg8ioa8qlob/Photo%2009-05-2016%2C%2018%2005%2032.jpg?dl=0.

Tried the hard reset and it's still saying offline. I also can't get onto the printer configuration webpage using 169.254.74.173 but I'm pretty certain I will be able to if I reset the router and possibly restart the laptop as well. although it may only stay connected for a short period of time.

Ok, I've connected the printer to the main network and have a completely new ip 169.254.74.173. ......

169.254. anything is a " link local " IP address

( what it uses if it hasn't got an "proper" IP address and it doesn't receive any offers from a DHCP server ( your router )

Why wouldn't it receive any offers? Is it because I entered those manual IP settings hours ago?

I think I will try restarting the router and laptop again and see if gets a proper IP address this time.

Why wouldn't it receive any offers? Is it because I entered those manual IP settings hours ago?....

If it remembered the IP address you set, it would show up at 192.168.0.4

It might just be wonky if it doesn't remember settings & need to be brought back to the shop

Lots of printers seem to be designed by squirells or something - they're only fit for the bin

• Advertisement

If it remembered the IP address you set, it would show up at 192.168.0.4

It might just be wonky if it doesn't remember settings & need to be brought back to the shop

I don't think it is wonky as we were having this problem with an Epsom printer and I thought it was something to do with that printer as with my googling a lot of people were reporting the same problem (and no solutions that I could see). Se we got a new printer but obviously it is something in our setup that is the problem.

Wooh hoo...I think I'm starting to get somewhere. I restarted the router, printer and laptop and got a proper IP 192.168.0.2. I then changed the network that the laptop is connected to, so it was also connected to the netgear network and I was finally able to ping the printer :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/atjy4qzx3aqizj2/Photo%2009-05-2016%2C%2018%2053%2040.jpg?dl=0

It also printed for me...hooray :D Is there anyway I can test it now to see if it will stay printing, or will I just have to wait and see?

The static IP thing might help :

Your router hands out IP addresses 192.168.0.2 all the way up to 192.168.0.200 ( or similar)

The IP addresses can go all the way up to 192.168.0.254 ( netmask 255.255.255.0 )

You'd need to give the printer an address somewhere between 200 and 254 ( outside the range of ones it hands out automatically)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

The static IP thing might help :

Your router hands out IP addresses 192.168.0.2 all the way up to 192.168.0.200 ( or similar)

The IP addresses can go all the way up to 192.168.0.254 ( netmask 255.255.255.0 )

You'd need to give the printer an address somewhere between 200 and 254 ( outside the range of ones it hands out automatically)

id imagine OPs router isnt CLI based,log into your router and look where it would say reserve ip or something in that sense,thus to exclude ip from being handed out once it times out from dhcp pool,at least thats what i can see on my router and good advise on using last aviable hosts as address,and double check to see if its visible in your home or private network afterwards.

Many many thanks to everyone on this thread for helping me with the printer. It appears to be working fine and i was even able to unplug the printer and move it back to its proper location and it still connected and printed with no problem after that...phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Well done all.

Not your ornery onager

.......... I don't want to let this problem beat me!

:D

Advertisement