Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Coffee in Limerick

• 09-05-2016 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

With the addition of Starbucks, it's started a conversation on where is best cup of coffee in Limerick. Are there any strong opinions here? I like Pónaire down in the Milk Market

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Are Ponaire back at the milk market? I thought they were gone a few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Best coffee in limerick is my lavazza pod machine at home.

Said I'd get in there before the inevitable coffee grinding evangelist got in there with his aeropress and beans he buys direct from some lad in Guatemala.

;-)

If people have real suggestions than I'm willing to try them in the name of research. No scaldy dishwater please.

I thought Ponaire was long gone from the market. Who's in that unit now?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

Jofspring wrote: »
    Are Ponaire back at the milk market? I thought they were gone a few years?

Shows how much I know! I used to go to their shop in Annacotty but they've moved out to Newport last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Maria Harper is in that unit now good coffee great atmosphere .

Canteen has great coffee.

I like the latte from Carlton.

Crappy coffee Gloria Jeans and not a great Costa fan.

When it comes to Starbucks the coffee is OK but open until 10 is a huge addition to the inner city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

+1 for canteen

Also like arabica. Costa is rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Cafe Melt is nice.

Starbucks being open until 10pm is great

Yeah happy with Canteen coffee. I had the aeropress guest coffee there recently - beyond the scope of my palate to say if it was better than their regular coffee tbh.
    I've had good things to say about the americano from Bake1. Good lavazza coffee there.
    Butlers in the Crescent.

If I was in Costa I'd have the cortado.

Bake ones coffee is a disaster no consistency

Papaz do a good latte as well tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bill Noddy

Only been in in there 2 or 3 times but O'Connor's restaurant on Thomas St does a fine mug of coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Hook and ladder do nice coffee I've heard.

• Advertisement

Hook and ladder do nice coffee I've heard.
    I used to get takeaway from there every Sunday but the temperature was always all over the place thus even though more expensive Starbucks gets my business on a Sunday before work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Amazing starbucks are the ones doing late opening so thats a positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Cafe melt fab coffee

Bill Noddy wrote: »
    Only been in in there 2 or 3 times but O'Connor's restaurant on Thomas St does a fine mug of coffee

I think that place has really gone downhill. It also seems to be stuck in a time warp from around 1998.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Red King wrote: »
    I think that place has really gone downhill. It also seems to be stuck in a time warp from around 1998.

That's what appeals to me! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I go to places that pay their fair share of tax to the state, not leaving it all to the poor mugs on a near subsistence wage.

I don't go to Starbucks.

feargale wrote: »
    I go to places that pay their fair share of tax to the state, not leaving it all to the poor mugs on a near subsistence wage.

I don't go to Starbucks.

Good for you. Personally I would find that approach to be rather exhausting and make my life very restrictive.

I mean large corporations have such a massive presence in everyday life it is hard to boycott them.

I think if you look at where your food,clothes, technology, medicine etc comes from and boycotted products from unethical companies that avoid paying tax and treat their workers with contempt you'd probably end up like that old naked man living in the hole in the ground in the Life of Brian.

I enjoy a starbucks every so often, it is nice to have a late night coffee shop in the city. The nearby places all close at 6pm or thereabouts so I can't exactly give them my business even if I wanted to.

Red King wrote: »
    Good for you. Personally I would find that approach to be rather exhausting and make my life very restrictive.

I mean large corporations have such a massive presence in everyday life it is hard to boycott them.

I think if you look at where your food,clothes, technology, medicine etc comes from and boycotted products from unethical companies that avoid paying tax and treat their workers with contempt you'd probably end up like that old naked man living in the hole in the ground in the Life of Brian.

I enjoy a starbucks every so often, it is nice to have a late night coffee shop in the city. The nearby places all close at 6pm or thereabouts so I can't exactly give them my business even if I wanted to.

Boycott is the tidiest and most effective way to bring those guilty of bad behaviour to heel. Right, you cannot take on the whole lot at once. But you can pick them off one by one. On a higher stage, witness Apartheid South Africa. Sadly, many of those who were most assiduous in that case were too selective to use it against other equally pernicious regimes afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

I don't go to Starbucks.

They employee local people, would you rather they were not their at all and had another 10-15 people on the dole and leave another unoccupied building?

All this "tax dodging" BS is smoke and ladders.

Get off your high horse.

davo2001 wrote: »
    They employee local people, would you rather they were not their at all and had another 10-15 people on the dole and leave another unoccupied building.

I'd rather they were employed by firms that pay as much tax as small native firms, as will happen if we give our custom to the latter. Nature abhors a vacuum as much as nightowls abhor an absence of coffee. Those who are not afflicted by the slave mentality look to the long game.
    All this "tax dodging" BS is smoke and ladders.

Aye. Nobody dodges tax. Take your smoke and ladder to Panama.
    Get off your high horse.

You get off yours. I'll drink coffee where I want,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Are Starbucks known to be an unethical employer?

It's expensive and the food is ****e, but I really like the fact that they open late. At long last there's an option to hang out in the city centre in the evening in a place that isn't a pub or a junk food shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

zulutango wrote: »
    At long last there's an option to hang out in the city centre in the evening in a place that isn't a pub or a junk food shop.

This is so true... the only other place i can think of that opens till 7 or 8 is the ice cream shop on william street.
    If you have kids and would like to walk in around the town of an evening grab a coffee/cake etc with the kids your options are really limited to pubs or full scale restaurants.

Marty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Havent been into Starbucks yet but the late opening seems good
    Every other cafe arounf it shuts down around 5
    Went into Glasta at 4.50 last week to be told sorry take away only so no sympathy if they are not even trying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

bigpink wrote: »
    Havent been into Starbucks yet but the late opening seems good
    Every other cafe arounf it shuts down around 5
    Went into Glasta at 4.50 last week to be told sorry take away only so no sympathy if they are not even trying

Gasta will do well - all the Limerick folk who think they are the new Conor Mc Gregor or Roz Purcell will happily frequent it.

On a higher stage, witness Apartheid South Africa.
    I'm pretty sure the situation has deteriorated for everyone in SA. The racist whites were gotten rid of and replaced with violent thugs like Mandela. Swapped out bad for worse. At least the Afrikaners knew how to maintain order and run a country. It is now a complete mess for everyone. Good job.
    I'd rather they were employed by firms that pay as much tax as small native firms, as will happen if we give our custom to the latter.
    Smaller native firms need to do a better job at competing. Alternately the country needs stronger regulation. With increased regulation companies are dis-incentivized to come here. If it weren't for foreign companies coming in and showing us how to do things your coffee would consist of half a spoon of gold blend with tepid water in the pub.
    zulutango wrote: »
    Are Starbucks known to be an unethical employer?

It's expensive and the food is ****e, but I really like the fact that they open late. At long last there's an option to hang out in the city centre in the evening in a place that isn't a pub or a junk food shop.
    Starbucks is fine. Coffee is nice and the food is a damn sight better than Costa.
    Parchment wrote: »
    Gasta will do well - all the Limerick folk who think they are the new Conor Mc Gregor or Roz Purcell will happily frequent it.
    My god the food in there is pretty bad. I can see how the hipsters love it though.

Parchment wrote: »

I was in there the other day and I'm far from mcgregor and I'm pretty sure roz indo is an alien. The healthy pancakes were maybe too eggy for non mma animals like myself. Lol.

Walked outta Starbucks, the acoustics are terrible in there, very echoey and noisy?

Gasta was a lot more civilised. Even cage fighting beasts need a chill out every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

My god the food in there is pretty bad. I can see how the hipsters love it though.

I love the gasta food! It's one of the few places you can get healthy food with decent vegetarian options. The bulletproof coffee and protein pancakes will fill you up for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

1. Papa's (formerly Paparazi) on Denmark Street.
    2. Canteen on Mallow Street.

panda100 wrote:
    I love the gasta food! It's one of the few places you can get healthy food with decent vegetarian options. The bulletproof coffee and protein pancakes will fill you up for the day.

Maybe I got them on a bad day but I wasn't impressed. Burnt overcooked sweet potato is not healthy.

• Advertisement

Maybe I got them on a bad day but I wasn't impressed. Burnt overcooked sweet potato is not healthy.

It seems to be a trend though. I've got them in a few places recently and they were all overcooked.

Advertisement