Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Coffee in Limerick

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The sweet potato fries are consistently overcooked in The Buttery.

If you like sweet potato fries and fish, then Rene Cusack's is the place to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

zulutango wrote: »
    The sweet potato fries are consistently overcooked in The Buttery.

If you like sweet potato fries and fish, then Rene Cusack's is the place to go.

+ 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

At least the Afrikaners knew how to maintain order and run a country.

So did Hitler ( cue Godwin's cliche.)
    I'm pretty sure the situation has deteriorated for everyone in SA. The racist whites were gotten rid of and replaced with violent thugs like Mandela. Swapped out bad for worse.

I mentioned SA only to demonstrate the effectiveness of boycott. If you had chosen to criticise Mandela's successors you might have had a point. In describing Mandela as you did while remaining silent about his persecutors and their predecessors such as Rhodes you have undermined yourself. My case rests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

zulutango wrote: »
    Are Starbucks known to be an unethical employer?

I have nothing to say about how they treat their employees. I'm simply saying that they are too mean to pay tax on the same basis as others who make profits here.
    Anyway this thread is about good coffee and if I have been guilty of taking it off topic that was not my intention.
    Enjoy your coffee wherever. I'm outa here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I think your comments are valid. It's important to weigh up these kind of arguments when choosing to spend our money. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

feargale wrote: »
    I have nothing to say about how they treat their employees. I'm simply saying that they are too mean to pay tax on the same basis as others who make profits here.
    Anyway this thread is about good coffee and if I have been guilty of taking it off topic that was not my intention.
    Enjoy your coffee wherever. I'm outa here.

You could start a boycott campaign on Facebook...except they avoid tax just like Starbucks so... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

And here I was biting my tongue hoping not to derail the thread on another anti Mandela rant. Anywho... Too late for coffee now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

And here I was biting my tongue hoping not to derail the thread on another anti Mandela rant. Anywho... Too late for coffee now?
    Not in Starbucks sorry couldn't resist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Didnt see the point in starting a new thread!

Im gonna be right picky here and ask does anyone in Limerick serve coffee the same way you get it in France or Italy. I.e an Americano is still quite small and served with a small jug of hot water (not to mention the absolutely ridiculous high quality taste off the coffee)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Can't imagine you'd get Coffee served that way unless they knew what you were asking for. There are places that sell good coffee beans but make it the "Irish Way". I know from selling Coffee that people make it their own way, customers have gotten used to it, and when you show them the correct way to do it they get cagey, decline and continue their own way.

I know the way you want it like a French Cafe au Lait in a very small cup or Americano with Hot water(if you ask for it). I like a good 12oz Latte myself so I don't know the places you're seeking.

The French Table restaurant maybe. The Chef is definitely French anyway. The Old Fire Station Cafe on Thomas Street. I only say that because they've good beans from 3FE so why have good beans if you can't make a good Coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

3FE coffee is excellent, I know the Old Firestation restaurant sell it, I'm not sure if anyone else does...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Couldn't you just ask for an espresso and a small pot of hot water?

L.T.P. wrote: »
    3FE coffee is excellent, I know the Old Firestation restaurant sell it, I'm not sure if anyone else does...
    Have they got real milk up there last time they only had vegan alternatives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

L.T.P. wrote: »

I think Tuscany at the Granary do too.

I've never heard of that coffee ! Must check it out !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I know this mightn't be a popular one but I actually love Frank and Honest coffee in Centra O Connell Street. Nicest take away coffee in a shop. Beats bewleys insomnia and all the others hands down

phill106 wrote: »
    Couldn't you just ask for an espresso and a small pot of hot water?

Sounds like a bit of a pain tbh.

Firstly you'd have to ask for an espresso inside an small Americano cup. Then the hot water separately.

I guess it's the overall quality I'm looking for. My assumption would be (possibly naively) that if they are serving it the way they do on the continent then they really know it's quality coffee too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Only started drinking coffee lately and to say coffee i mean caramel latte, never really liked coffee but I think this is a good way to get in to it. I've tried LaCucina Centro, Arrabica and Starbucks and I think Arrabica is the best one yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Maz2016 wrote: »
    I know this mightn't be a popular one but I actually love Frank and Honest coffee in Centra O Connell Street. Nicest take away coffee in a shop. Beats bewleys insomnia and all the others hands down

That's where Coffee becomes subjective I guess. I prefer Insomnia over Frank and Honest. Granted it's better than the previous Centra coffee but still not for me.

Carlton Coffee make a good coffee, it's Java Republic. Thing is, like having 3FE, it means nothing unless the person is a good barista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jonders

frank and honest is lovely coffee. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭cyrils foxpit

I used like Gloria jeans coffee when I was in and about the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I used like Gloria jeans coffee when I was in and about the city

If you don't mind the wait that is! They're so slow in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

Petit Paris on Henry street. I find the flavour the best in Limerick and I have tried them all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Dracula! wrote: »
    Petit Paris on Henry street. I find the flavour the best in Limerick and I have tried them all.

Is that not closed ages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Going to be in the vicinity of Barrington's hospital in Limerick tomorrow. Is there a good coffee & scone place within walking distance? Thanks.

Green onion just over the bridge on Rutland Street great scones and coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

sioda wrote:
    Green onion just over the bridge on Rutland Street great scones and coffee

+1 can't recommend that place highly enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

+1 can't recommend that place highly enough

Great recommendation. Excellent coffee & pastry. Thanks so much. +100000....

Advertisement