Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many weeks??

Options
  • 09-05-2016 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭

If you are on a longer cycle (38 days) do you still count the number of weeks you are from the start of your last cycle??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

TRS30 wrote: »
    If you are on a longer cycle (38 days) do you still count the number of weeks you are from the start of your last cycle??

It wouldn't be accurate this way as you would have ovulated later in the month most likely.

An early scan is the most accurate way to get a due date if you have a long cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Some doctors use that method yes, if in doubt they usually just use the size of the baby at the booking in scan and work out due date by then.

For now, I'd just use date of your LMP and count in weeks from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

In my case the doctor used it, despite it being incorrect, as at that stage that's all they can do. I went for a dating scan and it was updated. I went for Harmony and it was updated again (to the exact date I thought!).

I think it only makes a difference to you really for booking the 20 weeks scan as I was told to err on the side of caution as its better to go in at 21 week than 19. I did my booking app earlier than the usual 12 weeks and was fine.

It's a big psychological downer in my opinion though. I was feeling unwell but hanging onto idea that feelings of sickness pass at X weeks - to get put back 9 days is just disappointing, even though I knew I couldn't be that far!

38-28 = 10, so I assume you'll be circa 10 days behind the EDD using first date of last period. I was on schedule for a 35 day cycle (35-28=7) and my EDD changed after harmony to 7 days behind the EDD based on first day of last period, which appears perfectly accurate based on the day I though I ovulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Thanks for the replies.

Last cycle started on the 27th March so ovulation was around 20th April (according to online calculator!). Test yesterday said pregnant 2-3 which means 4-5 weeks!

Just don't want to go to doctor early as they can only detect from 4 weeks.

Advertisement