Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy the 780ti at this price?

Options
  • 09-05-2016 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Im going to build my first gaming pc late summer,

[font=Merriweather, serif]http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WK9Cpg[/font] with either a 970/390 and was considering the 1070.
    But my friend has offered me his 780ti at 110-120 (about 140-150 euro), which I guess I would be getting somewhat similar performance to the 970 but for less than half of the price.

I'm looking to play most games at medium-high settings 1080p 60fps.

I personally think I should take him on his deal, I'm going into my last year of university in september so I probably won't be playing that much anyways so paying that amount of the card seems ideal, then I can upgrade in a year or so.

Side note: I'm living in the uk till end of summer so I can buy some parts there and bring them home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

780ti can beat a 970 in some titles, €150 sounds pretty low though, is he just being sound or is there something amiss with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Akingbade

ED E wrote: »
    780ti can beat a 970 in some titles, 150 sounds pretty low though, is he just being sound or is there something amiss with it?

No worries there, he's just being sound. He has a 980ti and will probably move to the new graphic cards, just hasn't been bothered selling the 780ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭finlaycm

Take it. That's a really good price, even 250 would be a good price for it.

You will hit 60 fps on most titles at very-high with only a few drops (or max everything else with the ridiculous stuff down a notch.) as long as your at 1080p.

Upgrade in a year, may might still get 200 for it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Personally think its a good deal. Be selling my own gtx 970 soon and was thinking say 240. So 150 for a l 780ti that does 970 performance no huge noticeable differences that I'm aware of.

finlaycm wrote: »
    Take it. That's a really good price, even 250 would be a good price for it.

You will hit 60 fps on most titles at very-high with only a few drops (or max everything else with the ridiculous stuff down a notch.) as long as your at 1080p.

Upgrade in a year, may might still get 200 for it then.
    Personally think its a good deal. Be selling my own gtx 970 soon and was thinking say 240. So 150 for a l 780ti that does 970 performance no huge noticeable differences that I'm aware of.

Thanks for the responses lads, We'll test the card on some games, benchmarks make sure nothings wrong. Then I'll take him up on his offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

150e for a 780Ti is a brilliant deal.

It is neck and neck with a 970 even if nVidia have allegedly stopped optimising the drivers for it.

I have a 780Ti myself and at 1080p is more than capable of giving me 60FPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a fantastic price! It's now a good bit slower than a GTX970 in many games though due to Nvidia's terrible driver support, intentional or otherwise.

Could sell it and get a 2nd hand 290X or similar.

moonboy52 wrote: »
    150e for a 780Ti is a brilliant deal.

It is neck and neck with a 970 even if nVidia have allegedly stopped optimising the drivers for it.

I have a 780Ti myself and at 1080p is more than capable of giving me 60FPS
    That's great to hear! Should do the job for what I need it to do.
    That's a fantastic price! It's now a good bit slower than a GTX970 in many games though due to Nvidia's terrible driver support, intentional or otherwise.

Could sell it and get a 2nd hand 290X or similar.
    I don't want to be taking his card and just selling it right away as he's doing me the favour by selling it to me at that price. I'll use it for a while before thinking about selling.

By the way, Do you think this card will be able to handle BF1 on at least medium settings 60fps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Akingbade wrote: »
    By the way, Do you think this card will be able to handle BF1 on at least medium settings 60fps?
    I'd be shocked if it couldn't handle it at high to ultra settings @ 60fps assuming you are playing on a 1080p.
    Performance wise its more or less in the same league as the 970.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Yeah, it should have the power to but it depends on how well/badly Nvidia optimise/cripple those drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Is your PSU up to it?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Is your PSU up to it?

Yeah definitely, I am considering going the name model but 650w just for future-proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Echoing the other voices in this thread, buy it!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Echoing the other voices in this thread, buy it!

Yeah chances are that I will. No rush though, still looking at the 1070 and whatever AMD is gonna release.

Advertisement