Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scan at 6+3 - experiences

Options
  • 09-05-2016 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I have a scan this week with the EPU due to a previous loss. I'm delighted my doctor has ordered this and is taking it seriously but I am a little worried that it might be still too early for a scan.
    My doctor gave me my due date and placed me at 6 weeks and 6 days on the day of the scan. However, based on my own dates I believe I will be 6 weeks and 3 days for the scan.
    The doctor worked from the default 28 day cycle but my cycle is 31 days.

Is this too early? Should I cancel and try get another appointment date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I had a scan at 5 weeks 5 days this time due to a suspected ectopic. A yolk sac and foetal pole were visible but I was told to come back again in two weeks to make sure things were progressing. I bled again a few days later and was scanned again and there was a little tiny flicker of a heartbeat. Both scans were internal. I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation. If it's with the EPU they'll probably get you to come back in a couple of weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Sorry to hear you've experienced bleeding Roesy, very stressful. :(

I'm not sure at all, I've seen online some scans can pick up baby and heartbeat straight away whereas others need a few more days waiting before anything can be seen.

Not sure what to do! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Hi Isolt we had ours at 7 weeks and 2 days. The clinic we used don't recommend before 7 weeks as sometimes they can't see everything clearly and it can cause distress.

Can you call the clinic and ask their recommendation x

stickybean wrote: »

Can you call the clinic and ask their recommendation x

Thanks stickybean! I've been trying to get their number but can't seem to find it.

My doctor said herself that 7 weeks is better but didn't take into account my longer cycle :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've had them on both pregnancies at 5 weeks (I thought it was 6...),6, 7, 9 etc. Due to early bleeding with both. Now have two healthy little girls (just to try to reassure you), the youngest of which was born 6 weeks ago.

No heartbeat at the 5 week one, all they could say really is there's the sac, looks like it's in the right place, (ie not ectopic) and come back in 2 weeks. There was a heart beat at 6 weeks plus a few days, but this is not a guarantee. Generally those scans will be internal . The doctor may tell you that on the day that it's not always possible to get the heartbeat this early, so to try not to worry too much.

They tend to tell you to come back after 10 days - 2 weeks. It allows them to see if it has grown etc. They can only tell you so much from one scan, it's when they've done 2 or 3 that they can tell a bit more about progress because they are comparing them to the previous one - if that makes sense.

I'd take the scan and don't worry too much about the exact day. It's so early yet, three days aren't going to make much of a difference to be honest. It would probably be reassuring to you to know that everything looks ok and for my mind, they always scheduled again within a couple of weeks, so hopefully you'll have the same, which will give you further peace of mind. Hope everything looks good for you and best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Isolt wrote: »
    Thanks stickybean! I've been trying to get their number but can't seem to find it.

My doctor said herself that 7 weeks is better but didn't take into account my longer cycle :confused:

Would you try and ring main reception and ask to be put through to the EPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I was scanned at 6+4 because of bleeding and they were able to pick up heartbeats for both babas.

Tis a complete matter of luck at that stage though as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I was scanned at 6 weeks. Heartbeat was crystal clear. Scanned again at 7, 8 and 9 weeks. 8 weeks looked like a little seahorse. 9 weeks looked like a tiny little person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I had a transvaginal scan at 6 + 3 with our little boy and we were delighted to see a lovely clear little heartbeat. The lady who conducted the scan did say beforehand that 6-7 weeks can on occasion be early. I'd say go along for the scan, chances are more than likely they'll pick it up. Best of luck :)

Thanks for all the responses girls. I think I'm just scared so looking for reasons to put it off haha!
    I will go and please God I'll be a very happy boardsie that day :)

• Advertisement

PS - also love the Seahorse comparison! I was scanned on my little girl at 8 weeks and now that you mention it.. she did look like a seahorse! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hi Isolt
    I've an early scan tomorrow am very nervous:( I'll be 6+5 by my dates but like you my cycles would not be bang on 28 days. I did have a scan on a previous pregnancy between 6-7 weeks and seen a clear heartbeat so am hoping to see the same tomorrow.

Very best of luck tomorrow Ziggy! Here's hoping for a happy occasion for us both this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Best of luck to you too :) xx

Advertisement