Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed account - refund due.

Options
  • 09-05-2016 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I moved out of my apartment in February 2016. My landlord took a reading which I provided to you. 

My apartment was a new, 2 bedroom apartment which I lived in for 2 weeks every month as I travel for work. When I was away the only thing using electricity was the fridge. Despite this my bills were €250 or so every 2 months (Usual consumption for a 5-6 bedroom house).

Your meter reader took a reading which was clearly wrong, and estimates were based on this one and only incorrect reading. This isn't acceptable. 

My closing bill is based on your (incorrect) estimates, and you're looking for me to pay you another €250. My calculations, based on the reading taken is that you owe me €490. 

I provided you with a correct reading when I moved out, and the landlord agreed to take on any charges after that. You have rejected this and won't accept my reading. You've asked me to provide a photo of the meter, but I don't have any access to it, and I now live nearly an hour away. 

When will you 
    a) accept my meter reading, and agree with the landlord that he'll take on any charges incurred since 6 February 2016.
    b) stop harassing me with your threatening phone calls from credit control
    c) issue my refund??

I'm absolutely sick of getting calls from you, and hearing the same old rubbish about not accepting my meter reading. Why can't you get your meter reader to call around to the house and take it? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi PeteF,

We are sorry to read of your unhappiness with your customer experience.

Just generally speaking: the meter-readers who take electricity meter-readings for scheduled bills every two months are from ESB Networks and they read all electricity meters (for customers of all electricity providers) - any other meter-readings would need to be sent in by the customer or the landlord or property company.

We would need to review the account in question to advise you in relation to your other queries - if you private message any of us reps the Electric Ireland account number in question, stating you are/were the account-holder, your name, date of birth and the address the bill was for, you will be assisted ASAP.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PeteF

As I asked in my private message to you earlier, if the meter readers go around every few months, why can't they take a reading for you? Why are you insisting that I go out of my way to travel an hour to get the reading. I've asked my landlord a number of times, but he's too busy. 

I moved out four months ago and the reader wasn't around for a good while before me. When was the last actual reading carried out at the property, and why isn't this enough to show you the first meter reading was wrong? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi PeteF,

Thanks for your message.

ESB Networks aim to read all electricity meters four times a year, and estimate twice yearly, regardless of supplier. The number of estimations may increase depending on the accessibility of the meter. In order to close an account customers are advised to provide their supplier with a meter reading, taken on the date they leave the property, in order to ensure that the account is closed up to the correct date and reading, and they are then billed accordingly.

When you left the property, could you confirm how you contacted Electric Ireland in order to close your account, e.g. by phone, by email, or online? Could you also confirm, by private message, either the telephone number or email address used at the time to close the account?

We can then look into this further for you.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

Bridge,

The letting agent closed/transferred the account. This should be clear from your system. The meter reading was provided by the landlord. I find it unacceptable that you use (faulty) estimates to calculate a closing bill and won't accept my reading.

Further, how is this acceptable given there was only one meter reading carried out by ESB Networks in the past 11 months? It's clear you don't carry out 4 readings per year as noted above.

Hi PeteF,

Thanks for advising that the details for closing your account were provided to a letting agent.

Accounts are closed up to readings provided to Electric Ireland, if no readings are available Electric Ireland will close an account up to an estimated reading. However, these readings are subject to change should an accurate reading be provided later. If the readings provided later are different, or out of line, we would require that an image of the meter, including the readings and RM/Serial number, be provided in order to update the details on our system.

As previously advised ESB Networks read all electricity meters, regardless of supplier. While they aim to read the meter four times a year, this is not always possible, and the number of estimations may increase. The readings taken by ESB Networks are then provided to all electricity suppliers, including Electric Ireland, in order for a bill to be issued. Electric Ireland do not carry out the meter readings.

If an Electric Ireland electricity bill has been estimated then this will be printed on the front of the bill, and at the back where the readings are displayed.

For security purposes, we are unable to discuss your account in more detail here publicly, but will continue to look into this for you privately.

Should you have any other questions in the meantime please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

• Advertisement

Bridge,

As noted, I'll provide a reading but I want an undertaking that Electric Ireland will cover my travel expenses. Kindly confirm by return. I shouldn't have to do this work for you as you have meter readers employed.

Hi PeteF,

Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately Electric Ireland would be unable to refund you in this matter.

As previously advised Electric Ireland do not read electricity meters, as the readings are provided to us, as with all other electricity suppliers, by ESB Networks.

If you are unable to access the meter in question we would advise contacting your previous landlord, or letting agent, to request that they supply you with the necessary image.

Should you have any other questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

Hi,

When can I expect a response to my query? I submitted the meter readings first thing this morning.

- Pete

Brige,

I received the revised closing bill today. Is it some sort of a joke? The revised bill is based on the same erroneous estimates you were using all along.

The revised bill contains a day reading of 3279 (estimated) day units, even though I confirmed the actual day units was 424. I even provided you with photographic evidence showing your estimates were way off.

How long more must I run around in circles with you? Kindly resolve this no later than the end of the week or I'm going to the Ombudsman.

- Pete

Hi PeteF,

Thanks for your message.

We have responded to your query by private message.

Should you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

PeteF wrote: »
    The revised bill contains a day reading of 3279 (estimated) day units, even though I confirmed the actual day units was 424. I even provided you with photographic evidence showing your estimates were way off

That's unreal!!!

Advertisement