Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Permanent TSB - GoRewards Cashback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 stopdotcom

Irish Rail - got fiver back with first deal - now got fiver again after making a booking this weekend :) - happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What you think you should have got is irrelevant. It clearly states spend over €50 and get €10 back.

The €25 refers to people making more than one purchase in Argos. For example I spend €50 on day one of the offer in Argos I receive €10 back. On day five of the offer I spend €60 in Argos I get €10 back. On day eight of the offer I spend €75 and get €5 back, that is not receiving more than €25 in cash back.

Thanks - the offer that's up there now is worded differently to when I made my purchase however. It was along the lines of "€10 off every €50" up to to a max €25 redeemed back, and was valid until the 19th May. It seems to have come down before then though so they may have realized their mistake. After a quick email, I was redeemed the remaining amount (€15 extra) in any case, so what I think I should have received is relevant it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I got my 10 euro back from Argos yesterday :D Thanks OP for informing us of the deal.

So you just buy something over €50 and you get the tenner back to your registered card?
    You dont need to redeem any voucher or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

That's it exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Thanks - the offer that's up there now is worded differently to when I made my purchase however. It was along the lines of "€10 off every €50" up to to a max €25 redeemed back, and was valid until the 19th May. It seems to have come down before then though so they may have realized their mistake. After a quick email, I was redeemed the remaining amount (€15 extra) in any case, so what I think I should have received is relevant it seems.

I hadn't realised they had different wording originally.

Well done on getting the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I hadn't realised they had different wording originally.

Well done on getting the rest.

Cheers! Great service provided - totally seamless. 1st redeemed amount was back in my account the day after the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭psycho93

all offers end 19/05/2016

showing all offers til 02/06/2016

255pcib.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Some decent ones this week. I'll definitely be availing of the Boots one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

€5 back online and in store in Boots until 30/06

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Hi.

Am on the usual PTSB Current account which costs me nothing for ATM transactions etc, if I switch to this one will I be paying any extra fees?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭The lips

No, you are not changing your account settings

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Hi.

Am on the usual PTSB Current account which costs me nothing for ATM transactions etc, if I switch to this one will I be paying any extra fees?

Thanks.

That's the explore account I think you are on about. Go reward is with a regular current Ac. Register on open24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

JTMan wrote: »
    Yes, unless your 'rewards' cover your fees but in many cases they won't. In most cases, one is best off not switching to this product.

you don't need to switch to the new explore account to be able to use go rewards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ragbak

Just a note. Some people have mentioned it is free money, it is not. You are selling your financial details to VISA and their partners. For example you are giving them the previous 1,5 years of bank statements of the card that you are using. They can share this with their partners.

And once you give your (financial) information to a company, remember there is no way to get it back. It's on the way to the USA as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

ragbak wrote:
    Just a note. Some people have mentioned it is free money, it is not. You are selling your financial details to VISA and their partners. For example you are giving them the previous 1,5 years of bank statements of the card that you are using. They can share this with their partners.

Goes to show how easy it can be to think this is a loyalty scheme offered by the bank to try and attract / retain customers when in fact it's not quite that....

• Advertisement

ragbak wrote:
    And once you give your (financial) information to a company, remember there is no way to get it back. It's on the way to the USA as well.

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

is the boots one applicable to prescriptions does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Link?

https://ptsb.visaoffers.eu/portal/edo/static/privacy
    upon registering your card details with the Cashback Service, details relating to your previous 18 months' transaction data on your Eligible Card (which are already or will be lawfully obtained by Visa from Partner Banks), to ensure that you receive Merchant Offers – defined below – that are relevant to you ("Transaction History Data");

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

thanks for the heads up, i heard about the rewards scheme but hadn't looked into it properly
    i will give this a miss
    thanks Yggr of Asgard

thanks for the heads up, i heard about the rewards scheme but hadn't looked into it properly
    i will give this a miss
    thanks Yggr of Asgard

as it says the the quote above
    which are already or will be lawfully obtained by Visa from Partner Banks

they already have the info or can obtain it if they want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

they don't have data from me because card doesn't get used at all, i dont even know the pin lol
    i was going to start using it for the rewards scheme but wont bother now

ted1 wrote: »
    They already have the data

Who has which data specifically?
    Banks have rules governing the data of their clients. They are not allowed to share all their data with VISA and VISA is not allowed to mine all the data as there are protections for the customers in place. But when you sign up to this scheme you give all the data regarding you card transactions to VISA directly.

Also you now give them the right to share your information with other companies.

(sorry for the extra post, the 'edit' button doesn't seem to work? get a blank screen)

ragbak wrote: »
    Who has which data specifically?
    Banks have rules governing the data of their clients. They are not allowed to share all their data with VISA and VISA is not allowed to mine all the data as there are protections for the customers in place. But when you sign up to this scheme you give all the data regarding you card transactions to VISA directly.

Visa Europe is owned by the banks

It always surprises me how people don't read the T&C or Privacy Policy when they sign up to "bargains".

The Privacy Policy clearly spells out that your usage of the card can now also be shared with VISA Europe and that they can analyze the data they get even if the data is not related to the spending.

It always surprises me how people don't read the T&C or Privacy Policy when they sign up to "bargains".

The Privacy Policy clearly spells out that your usage of the card can now also be shared with VISA Europe and that they can analyze the data they get even if the data is not related to the spending.

probably because most people don't care

People don't care. People share lots of info on social media. Can you point out some reason why people should care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Visa Europe is owned by the banks

Used to be. Visa Inc took it over recently
    https://www.visaeurope.com/about-us/

People don't care. People share lots of info on social media. Can you point out some reason why people should care

Personally I just want people to be aware that you are selling your information, you are not getting a discount.

But don't be under any illusion that the government is protecting your data, or that it is yours.
    Once you sign up your data is gone and you have no control over it. You will never get it back and it will be theirs to use forever.

You should make your own decisions, why you would have a social media account like Facebook is beyond me. I don't understand why I should need one. Especially parents posting photo's of their children. But that is a discussion better continued elsewhere.

TL;DR: Just make an informed decision and realise why you are getting a 'discount'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ragbak wrote: »
    But don't be under any illusion that the government is protecting your data, or that it is yours.

Actually Europe has some of the strictest data privacy and handling laws in the world. Specially when it comes to financial data (and medical data too).

Just because you have a Visa card, doesn't mean Visa are allowed to use that data for anything other then normal processing and security. They certainly aren't allowed to just data mine your data, sell it to third parties or transfer it outside of the EU. Their are strict policy firewalls around this sort of data and companies like Visa can end up being fined tens of millions if they breach them.

However by signing up to something like this, you are basically giving them permission, to data mine your spending data, sell on the data to third parties and transfer it outside the US.

Why might you care about this? Well other banks can buy this data and use it to analyse your spending habits which they can then use to decide to give you a bank loan, mortgage, etc. at a future date. Just one of many examples.

Your credit and debit card data is far more valuable to companies then whatever random rubbish you post on facebook.

You are allowing VISA and it's partner banks access to your spending profile including details about locations and merchants.

This data can be mined by them but also by the government to a great extend and can be used against you if you for example want further credit (sorry, you have too many undesirable charges), sign up for other promotions (sorry we don't think we want your kind of customers) or even lead to further investigations (the spending pattern is well outside his income resources).

Right now your PTSB data sits relatively well protected in Ireland with your spending pattern only known to them. Once you joined that is no longer the case, your data is now ready to be mined, sold and even transfered to locations which might not have strong data protection laws like the US.

I'm not saying that one should not sign up to schemes like this but one must be aware of the consequences and make an informed decision if a 10€ discount is worth their own personal data.

And as to social media, why do you think the DHS/CPB want social media accounts to be included in ESTA's? Because people are careless and over sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You are allowing VISA and it's partner banks access to your spending profile including details about locations and merchants
    lol @ the idea that Visa didn't know when someone used their card before this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Dodge wrote: »

They know but they are not allowed to act on it in any way unless there is fraud activity on the card.

With this they can do what they like with the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

With this they can do what they like with the info.

What can they do with it apart from using it for marketing purpose? nothing really.....I spend my money on the usual stuff (bills, grocery stores, clothes, holidays, beer, cheese, wine....) so I don't mind really, I am getting discounts and cash back so it is a win win situation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

alwald wrote: »
    What can they do with it apart from using it for marketing purpose? nothing really.....I spend my money on the usual stuff (bills, grocery stores, clothes, holidays, beer, cheese, wine....) so I don't mind really, I am getting discounts and cash back so it is a win win situation.

Did you not bother to read the posts above!!

First of all they aren't legally allowed to do anything with your data without your express permission.

Second if you give them permission they can mine your data and sell it to banks and insurance companies who in future can use that data to deny your a loan, mortgage, etc. in future.

You can tell an awful lot about a person based on what groceries, holidays, etc. you take.

Buy lots of cigarettes? Then deny you health insurance.

Buy lots of alcohol? Then maybe you are an alcoholic, charge you more for car insurance as you are a greater risk.

You buy a lot of fancy, expensive cheese, wine, books, opera tickets, etc. Then you look like you might be a more well educated, higher earner, so target you for with offers for loans, mortgages, etc.

You buy lots of very cheap alcohol, etc., maybe you fall into a lower socio economic classification and then be denied loans, mortgages in future.

You can tell an awful lot for peoples spending habits. You would be a fool to give away this information for a mere €10.

Dodge wrote: »

There is a difference in VISA processing a transaction via their network and what they can do with that info and giving them direct access to your 18 month full spending record with all data sets with the right to mine and resell that data.

I wonder is there any offers for tinfoil?

gimmick wrote: »
    I wonder is there any offers for tinfoil?

Thank you for that wonderful insight, moderator.

There is no need to make an informed decision. Whatever the consequence may be of selling your data, accusing someone to be tinfoil is going to make everything better.
    As long as people are shouting 'tinfoil hat' every time somebody brings up data protection it will remain a subject nobody wants to talk about and subsequently nobody will hear about.
    Have you ever cleared your browsing history? Do you use a password to unlock your phone? Are there any photos on your phone that you would rather not share with your employer? Are there any photos of you on a friends phone that you would rather not see on facebook?

I reckon you care more about your privacy and data than you might let on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

bk wrote: »
    Did you not bother to read the posts above!!

First of all they aren't legally allowed to do anything with your data without your express permission.

Second if you give them permission they can mine your data and sell it to banks and insurance companies who in future can use that data to deny your a loan, mortgage, etc. in future.

You can tell an awful lot about a person based on what groceries, holidays, etc. you take.

Buy lots of cigarettes? Then deny you health insurance.

Buy lots of alcohol? Then maybe you are an alcoholic, charge you more for car insurance as you are a greater risk.

You buy a lot of fancy, expensive cheese, wine, books, opera tickets, etc. Then you look like you might be a more well educated, higher earner, so target you for with offers for loans, mortgages, etc.

You buy lots of very cheap alcohol, etc., maybe you fall into a lower socio economic classification and then be denied loans, mortgages in future.

You can tell an awful lot for peoples spending habits. You would be a fool to give away this information for a mere €10.

You are going too far, All they can see is the amount of money spent and where, so if I buy my wine/cheese/alcohol from dunnes then they have no visibility about the content of the receipt.

Regarding denying loans/mortgages, it doesn't serve the bank' interests, they are here to make money, otherwise their competitors will get my business, simple as that.

I have nothing to hide and they can use this information whichever way they want to be honest, it won't change my life at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Might be helpful to note the Ts and Cs also state -
    We will not sell or rent your personal information to any third party without your express consent.

Signing up for the scheme - is this "express consent" to sell or rent? I wouldn't have thought so. Most of the rest of the policy seems to relate to using the data to sell you stuff and operate the scheme technically...

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Sorry this question may have being asked already...

I bought stuff in lidl yesterday for 25 Euro so I am entitled to the 5 Euro back. I wonder what happens if you return one of the items for a refund after ptsb give you the 5Euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Sorry this question may have being asked already...

I bought stuff in lidl yesterday for 25 Euro so I am entitled to the 5 Euro back. I wonder what happens if you return one of the items for a refund after ptsb give you the 5Euro?

I don't think Lidl are participating in the scheme unless I've missed something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

masterK wrote: »

I am pretty sure the offers are not the same for everyone, but rather based on your user profile etc. so some people may get a lidl offer and others may not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

masterK wrote: »

if you look at the main login page, you can see Lidl's logo there.. so one would assume that they are participating on selected accounts..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Nice little €5 off a €25 spend in Lidl - now to check if there are any vouchers in the papers!

Nice little €5 off a €25 spend in Lidl - now to check if there are any vouchers in the papers!

Does it have to be activated? Or is it live straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Does it have to be activated? Or is it live straight away

Once your setup for GoRewards, nothing else needed.

392989.png

Valid till Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭_kookie

Im finding GoRewards pretty useless to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

_kookie wrote: »
    Im finding GoRewards pretty useless to be fair.

Same. I've blocked the weekly emails now as I wasn't using any of the rewards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement