Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three city centre roads closed as culvert collapses

Options
  • 09-05-2016 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭

Cross, Middle and Augustine Sts are closed while the council fixes a collapsed drain culvert in Cross St near Flood St.

Slightly more info here: http://galwaybayfm.ie/three-city-centre-roads-closed-culvert-collapses/

And there's a picture of it on Connaght Tribune's Facebook page (can't link to it from where I'm posting.

We noticed a very deep hole in the road-surface there just yesterday - there's a few places in those streets where holes keep appearing the council just slaps some more tarseal over the top.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Lived within eye-shot of that particular part of the road for 5 years up until last Xmas, that particular piece of road was worked on last year as part of the Galway 2020 office set up in Cornstore, think they were laying wires for internet access, theres a line in the road from their unit right to that drain. Complained to the council at the time as the manhole cover was left in an uneven way which allowed for a massive clang every time a car drove over it. Not surprised it fell through in the end, theres another hole which is 'fixed' every few months directly across from the cafe on Augustine St there too, by the entrance to the Cancer Charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Had a look around at lunchtime not much happening... there was one small hole [covered over] and a JCB parked near it.

Cross St area was super-attractive, with sunshine and no traffic.
    385513.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dayum, perfect afternoon to drink outside Neachtains so.
    Alas I have to work at 7am tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

yaledo wrote: »
    Had a look around at lunchtime not much happening... there was one small hole [covered over] and a JCB parked near it.

385513.jpg

Lovely pic. Like a Lego box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

yaledo wrote: »
    Cross St should be like this 365 days of the year IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Cross St should be like this 365 days of the year IMHO

Ya we would all love 365 days of sunshine but unless this climate change thing really changes direction and makes us warmer instead of wetter I can't see that happening.

Ya we would all love 365 days of sunshine but unless this climate change thing really changes direction and makes us warmer instead of wetter I can't see that happening.

True - but you can still get rid of the motor vehicle traffic on Cross St 365 days of the year regardless of rain hail snow blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

True - but you can still get rid of the motor vehicle traffic on Cross St 365 days of the year regardless of rain hail snow blah blah

Which takes us back to the previous discussion about how I sometimes want to take a vehicle close to my front door, eg if I'm moving house, buying big stuff, etc. If Cross St is closed to traffic, I won't be able to do that. The people with car-parks in Middle St (more than you might imagine) will lose a lot of amenity. Etc. (I live close to Merchant's Rd, not quite on it.)

There's also the issue of deliveries: at best, you could close it to traffic for part of the day, but would have to leave it open in the morning for these. Hard to see how the timing would work, though: the lads already struggle to be out of the existing pedestrianised zone by 10:30am, and making it bigger would make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Which takes us back to the previous discussion about how I sometimes want to take a vehicle close to my front door, eg if I'm moving house, buying big stuff, etc. If Cross St is closed to traffic, I won't be able to do that. The people with car-parks in Middle St (more than you might imagine) will lose a lot of amenity. Etc. (I live close to Merchant's Rd, not quite on it.)

There's also the issue of deliveries: at best, you could close it to traffic for part of the day, but would have to leave it open in the morning for these. Hard to see how the timing would work, though: the lads already struggle to be out of the existing pedestrianised zone by 10:30am, and making it bigger would make things worse.

Remove all the on-street parking on Middle Street and St. Augustine St. Would remove a lot of the traffic from those streets which are circulating looking for parking. Loading bays only for businesses and residents. Access is maintained for residents with car parks. Close Cross St. at the Dail from 11am with access for deliveries only before that, similar to Shop St.

Has the original reason for this thread been fixed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    Has the original reason for this thread been fixed?

Not fully: there's still a metal plate on the road.

There are a number of points of these inner city streets where the tarmac seems to sink into a hole every so often. Frequently patched. But I have a feeling that there's like some big problems under them.

Should transit vans be the largest vehicle allowed on the inner city streets?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Should transit vans be the largest vehicle allowed on the inner city streets?

Good idea, we can then have deliveries made / get bins collected via the underground motorway network

Or maybe even get microlight man involved

Good idea, we can then have deliveries made / get bins collected via the underground motorway network

Or maybe even get microlight man involved

Or just smaller vehicles like in other European Countrys with similar City Centre's. Will save alot of money over your underground motorway network.

Original issue have been fixed in that traffic can now flow again.

There are already threads about how cars should be banned from the city centre, please refrain from dragging this agenda into every single thread that deals with a traffic issue. It spoils the thread and brings another traffic discussion ban a step closer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement