Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi zone nest

Options
  • 09-05-2016 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi guys,
    I’m looking at the NEST offer for electricity and was wondering if you could help with some questions. We have a gas boiler that controls the heat (two zones, one upstairs and one downstairs) and water (one zone). So my questions are with the nest system;
    1.       A. Can we separately control the two heating zones and the water?
    2.       B. If we wanted to heat the water only does it allow us to switch on the boiler rather than the immersion to heat the water?
    Thanks,

Hugh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi benzene12,

Thanks for getting in touch.
    benzene12 wrote:
    Can we separately control the two heating zones and the water?

While the Nest thermostat can be used in a multi-zone heating system, it is not expressly designed for this; you would need a separate Nest device for each zone.
    benzene12 wrote:
    If we wanted to heat the water only does it allow us to switch on the boiler rather than the immersion to heat the water?

A survey of your heating system would need to be carried out by a technician to be absolutely sure of this, but based on what you say above, this would involve controlling the hot water completely separately, which would make it a zone in this case. The climote device may be the more suitable choice here, as it can control up to three different zones. See here for more information.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Hi benzene12,

Thanks for getting in touch.
    Originally posted by benzene12
    Can we separately control the two heating zones and the water?

While the Nest thermostat can be used in a multi-zone heating system, it is not expressly designed for this; you would need a separate Nest device for each zone.
    Originally posted by benzene12
    If we wanted to heat the water only does it allow us to switch on the boiler rather than the immersion to heat the water?

A survey of your heating system would need to be carried out by a technician to be absolutely sure of this, but based on what you say above, this would involve controlling the hot water completely separately, which would make it a zone in this case. The climote device may be the more suitable choice here, as it can control up to three different zones. See here for more information.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David
    I thought the version 3 nest did hot water?: https://nest.com/uk/thermostat/meet-nest-thermostat/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Dardania,

Thanks for your post.
    Dardania wrote:
    I thought the version 3 nest did hot water?

Yes, the third generation Nest can control hot water; we regret any confusion. Based on the information provided in benzene12's previous post, controlling the hot water in the manner suggested may have involved a separate zone.

However, in general, a third generation Nest will control domestic hot water. It will do so differently depending on the kind of heating system that you have, and whether or not it is OpenTherm compatible. You can find more information here.

Regards,
    David

Advertisement