Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishie fishie fish fish

Options
  • 09-05-2016 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

We've been making a concerted effort to eat more fish at home. Fridays are now pretty well nailed on for fish dinner.

We've mostly been making salmon risotto, and last week used mackerel.

Salmon is very easy to work with as I get it skinned and boned but this does work out expensive.

Anybody have any suggestions for fish dishes that are cheaper than salmon and relatively easy to prepare? I'm still not a total fish convert so would probably prefer something in a sauce.

The only similar thread I could find was here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80429051 but I figured it was too old to resurrect.

Thanks

Comments

Cod fillets cooked over a bed of tomatoes, corguette and red onion. Add a mustard and olive oil dressing to the fish after it is cooked.

Taken from an Aussie recipe: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/4308/baked+fish+on+vegetables+low+fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

When I make risotto, usually butternut squash ristotto, I finish it up with a fillet of panfried hake or cod on top. Both can be bought cheap enough in Lidl.

Salmon thai fish cakes are lovely and freeze well. Tinned salmon is actually better (and cheaper) to use. I usually mix the salmon with mashed potatoes, red chilli, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice, cover in breadcrumbs and fry til golden, serving it with sweet chilli sauce.

Fish pie is simple to make and it is a great way to try new types of fish. I don't like smoked fish but fish pie really benefits from a bit of it.

Prawn stirfries have become a favourite in my house too. You can make up a load of different sauces so even if you have the same basic ingredients, the sauce and rice/ noodles can make it different each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Mussels in tomato and wine sauce with pasta.

Squid with peas and tomatoes.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/squid-with-tomato-and-green-peas-30620

I really like this Jamie Oliver's recipe for salmon:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/quick-salmon-tikka-with-cucumber-yoghurt-17-minutes/#Rg64kF4x17zlajCk.97

Fish pies - loads of recipes but I really like this one although it's a bit of work:
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-dish/one-pot-recipes/luxury-smoked-fish-pie

Then you can do prawn jambalaya:
    http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/prawn-and-chorizo-jambalaya/

Yesterday I tried this on bbq and it is lovely:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4465/barbecued-mackerel-with-ginger-chilli-and-lime-dri

Or smoked mackerel pate. (Loads of recipes floating around).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Any white fish topped with a herby crust, with crushed new potatoes and roasted cherry tomatoes and sugar snaps

Lightly battered (tempura battered) and shallow fried (treat day!) with chunky home made oven chips and homemade tartar sauce

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Maple mustard salmon - stir together some english mustard, wholegrain mustard and maple syrup. Drizzle over some salmon fillets and bake for 15 minutes at 180. Easy and delicious.

Jamie Oliver has a simple fish recipe that I use when I can get fresh, white fish. It's along the lines of: roast some baby potatoes for 20 mins with rosemary and garlic. Remove from oven and lay some fish fillets on top of the potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, lemon and, if I recall correctly, smoked bacon lardons. Return to oven for 15-20 mins until the fish is just cooked.

We serve this with cherry tomatoes roasted in a little olive oil, and seasoned with balsamic vinegar and black pepper. That's another delicious and quick one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Tuna and cheese pasta bake is always a favorite around our house, especially for the kids, and especially when sweet corn is involved.

This kind of thing. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9649/tuna-pasta-bake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thanks everyone for some great suggestions.
    ElleEm wrote: »
    Salmon thai fish cakes are lovely and freeze well. Tinned salmon is actually better (and cheaper) to use. I usually mix the salmon with mashed potatoes, red chilli, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice, cover in breadcrumbs and fry til golden, serving it with sweet chilli sauce.

Prawn stirfries have become a favourite in my house too. You can make up a load of different sauces so even if you have the same basic ingredients, the sauce and rice/ noodles can make it different each week.

I've only made fish cakes with salmon and dill, thai style sounds a great idea. The tinned fish is a great suggestion too, I've been poaching and grilling whole darns and flaking them into my sauces and cakes.

Prawns are not something either of us eat, they are fairly pricey, even for value brand frozen prawns. I picked one up by mistake at a finger food function recently and it didn't kill me, might try and introduce it to the rotation.
    Tuna and cheese pasta bake is always a favorite around our house, especially for the kids, and especially when sweet corn is involved.

That looks really nice. I put sweetcorn in everything!

We've done a couple of fish pies but might try a few different versions, http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/fish-pie

Mustard is another thing on the "list of things I should learn to like".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Great idea for a thread and some lovely suggestions so far.

Smoked salmon in a creme fraiche and lemon sauce with pasta is a favourite here. I tend to chop lots of fresh parsley and chives to add at the table.

Now that we're coming into the summer (!) potted herrings or mackerel will keep for several days in the fridge and are brilliant with good bread and a robust salad. Roll up each fillet (½ a fish), fasten with a cocktail stick, pack tightly on end in a Pyrex. Tuck a dried chili in each one. Add a small onion, sliced thinly. Bring some vinegar (3 parts) and water (1 part) to the boil with a bay leaf or two, a sachet of pickling spice and some extra black peppercorns. Pour the hot liquid over the fish and then cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 45 mins. Store in the liquid and serve cold.

The fresh Atlantic prawns now available from some Dunnes fish counters are great. They need very little prep other than a check for shell or veins and are very filling. While €35/kg seems expensive, we find that 200gm feeds two people in a stir-fry or the like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There are some lovely recipes in the Cooking Club's "From The Sea" thread too, I'll pop a link in here for anyone interested :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057565929

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As we are now entering Barbecue season I had Barbecued Gambas drizzled with Garlic oil at the weekend. They were excellent. They were bought from the frozen food section in Lidl last week. Cooked them with Lamb Burgers so it was a surf and turf.

Used the charred shells and heads to make a Prawn Bisque which we had yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Another fave in our house is to lay tin foil on a baking dish in such a way as to keep liquid in..... lay white fish on top of that....... add some things like fennel and olive and other things chopped up..... pour in some white whine..... wrap it up.... and just bake the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Another fave in our house is to lay tin foil on a baking dish in such a way as to keep liquid in..... lay white fish on top of that....... add some things like fennel and olive and other things chopped up..... pour in some white whine..... wrap it up.... and just bake the whole lot.
    I do something similar but add a few other things as well ... sliced onions and potatoes, crushed garlic cloves, baby tomatoes. A complete meal with zero washing up, what could be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Pan of milk (seasoned with salt and white pepper - I find it goes better than black), bay leaf etc..) Poach cod in it, turning half way. Set cod aside, remove bayleaf and thicken milk mixture. Add lots of chopped parsley and stir into hot sauce.. Serve sauce over the cod, with peas and potato on the side. My short version of a classic.

Can also be topped with cheese sauce and stuck under the grill for browning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Can't recommend this book enough......

book-cover-plate-for-page.jpg

Not only does it look gorgeous there are loads, bazillions of recipes for every fish available.

Hake, pollock and haddock tend to be a bit cheaper than cod and are lovely fish.

Ray, fried in garlic is beautiful - just make sure it's really fresh - any hint of an ammonia smell and forget it.

Smoked mackerel and turn it into pate (with sour cream, tabasco, lemon juice and pepper)

BBQ'ed mackerel or herring.

Whiting fillets are another cheap fish that are quite tasty

You can also cure your own salmon - I use either a whiskey or beetroot based cure - one comes out lovely and 'smoky' and the other quite sweet.

....my favourite brekkie - smoked salmon with poached or scrambled eggs

My advice would be to get your fish as fresh as possible (you won't get it fresh from a supermarket), cook it lightly and go easy on sauces etc or you destroy the 'taste of the sea.' Learn to know what fresh fish looks, feels and smells like - bright eyes, glistening, not slimy, no gaping flesh, stiff not floppy and a sea smell (check the gills).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Spanish Hake Stew.

Ingredients

Hake fillets, skinned and cut into chunks
    olive oil
    1 whole head of garlic, chopped in half
    bashed coriander seeds
    chopped onions
    thyme
    bay leaves
    oregano
    dried chilli
    chopped tomatoes
    juice of 1 orange
    white wine
    saffron
    chunks of potato
    chopped parsley

Instructions

Fry the garlic in some olive oil and add the coriander seeds, chopped onions, thyme, bay leaves, oregano, dried chilli and stir in some chopped tomatoes and the orange juice. Add some white wine and saffron and chunks of potato, season and cook until the spuds are ready and then add the fish fillets and
    cook for a futher 6 minutes, add a dash of olive oil and sprinkle with chopped parsley to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That Spanish hake stew is really, really good.
    Seems like a lot of ingredients but it's a very quick and easy recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

That Spanish hake stew is really, really good.
    Seems like a lot of ingredients but it's a very quick and easy recipe.

I was googling for quantities of hake to make it and came across this recipe for Catalan fish stew. Definitely going on the "try at least once" list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nice quick one I slapped together, not sure if out of necessity of what was in the fridge or from stumbling on it on Google. Works great on a hot day which I hear you feckers are having plenty of lately!!

- Fistful of mixed spinach and rocket.
    - Some scallops, shrimp/prawns, mussles and/or calamari rings.
    - A bit of chorizo.

Put the greens in a bowl. Dice & fry the chorizo, put on top of the greens (try to catch as much oil as possible in a glass). Cook the mussels as you wish and fry the calamari with some salt & pepper, remove mussels from shells and place on top again, with calamari. Finally, fry the scallops quickly and place on top. Gently mix together for a sec, and drizzle some chorizo oil on top (I usually nuke it for 10-15 seconds first to get some heat back in).

Whole thing takes maybe 10-15 minutes, and with a glass of orange juice it makes a lovely snack to have out the back on a sunny day, also works well as a starter. :)

Old photo from when I first got a smartphone with a decent camera and was d*cking about with filters :p but should give an idea - no mussels or scallops in this one though. IF you are using shrimp, just fry alongside the calamari.
    image.png

Went for Thai fish cakes tonight with stir fried veg.

I used tinned salmon and mackerel in tomato sauce. All mixed up with mash, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, linseed and Thai spice.

Really nice and very easy.

Cost about 1.10 a portion I'd say, the tinned mackerel was 55 cent a tin.
    385872.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Alun wrote: »
    I do something similar but add a few other things as well ... sliced onions and potatoes, crushed garlic cloves, baby tomatoes. A complete meal with zero washing up, what could be better?

+1
    I do something very similar using Cous Cous, cumin seeds. As you say complete meal in a bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

One of my favourite fish stews is a Cioppino.
    Get a heavy based pan on a medium heat with 50ml of olive oil in it. Add two tablespoons of fennel seed and toast until golden. Add in two roughly chopped bulbs of fresh fennel (save the leaves on the top for garnish) and two chopped cloves of garlic. Add two glasses of a dry white wine and soften the fennel. Add about 800g of tinned chopped tomatoes. Stir and bring up to temperature. Add in 1.5kg of a seafood selection (Salmon first, then squid, then white fish like hake or monkfish, raw prawns, then mussels and or clams. No Mackerel or smoked fish!). Cook gentle until the fish has JUST lost it's translucency in the middle and the bi-valves have just opened.
    Serve with a garnish of the fennel fronds and toasted crusty bread

Gonna go with this one tonight: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/kerryann-s-tuna-pasta-bake/#dZz7UCS7qGF1EIhq.97

It's tomato based so a bit lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My favourite... Whole fish, sea bass or bream I per person whose, fill the cavity with fresh herbs, Rosemary thyme, mint, dill, a few cloves of garlic(unpeeled and in their skin). WtP up in tinfoil to make a parcel...pour in around 60mls of white wine.

Into the oven for around a half hour, the cloves of garlic roast...squeeze the cooked garlic into the sauce..... The liquor will be delicious so fresh crusty bread to dip, you will thank me!!!

The bone comes away from the fish like the cats used to do in the cartoons😃😃😃

Simple and unbelievably delicious. My favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I went on a bit of a fish bender last weekend...

Friday I made a ramen noodle soup with mixed seafood (prawns, white fish & salmon chunks).

Saturday I did a whole seabass on the BBQ - cavity stuffed with Ginger, chilli & slices of lime. Served with an Asian slaw of shredded Chinese cabbage, scallion, cucumber & sugar snaps. Dressed with soy sauce, fish sauce, oil, lime juice, chilli & grated ginger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I try to cook seafood about twice per week. One day fish and another day prawns/mussels/squid but I never really tried whiting before. I seasoned the fillets and covered them in flour, then I shallow fried them. I served them with parsley, olive oil, garlic and lemon salsa, some green salad and potatoes. It was lovely. Granted I pared the food with nice chenin blanc (there are some great wines among Aldi Lot wines) so I might be a bit over enthusiastic. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Minder wrote: »
    Spanish Hake Stew.

Sounds nice but does hake not break up too easily when cooking?
    What other fish would you use in it? Perhaps monkfish or pollack?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sounds nice but does hake not break up too easily when cooking?
    What other fish would you use in it? Perhaps monkfish or pollack?

No. You put it in at the end for a few minutes until just cooked. You don't stir it around in the pot.
    Monk would work. Pollack would break up as easily as hake - it's very flaky.

Leaving the skinskin on prevents fish breaking up.

Advertisement