Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Connell street beggars and taxi rant

• 09-05-2016 2:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Walked up and down down sides of o Connell st Saturday from Aib to Arthurs quay counted 9 beggars
    Also very dangerous driving from a taxi driver to get into the taxi rank which had no room so drove the car towards people crossing at the lights and then parked it on the crossing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »
    Walked up and down down sides of o Connell st Saturday from Aib to Arthurs quay counted 9 beggars
    Also very dangerous driving from a taxi driver to get into the taxi rank which had no room so drove the car towards people crossing at the lights and then parked it on the crossing

It's a joke how taxis park across the crossing by O'Sullivan's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I posted about it only today in the random waffle thread. I noticed a big rise in beggars on O'Connell Street, William Street and Denmark Street in the past few weeks.

The Spar shops seem a major attraction for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It's a joke how taxis park across the crossing by O'Sullivan's.

This was crazy he drove quite aggressive right into the crossing box and parked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It must be lucrative enough. I'm amazed people give them money.

zulutango wrote: »
    It must be lucrative enough. I'm amazed people give them money.

There was a lad down in Denmark Street over the weekend really getting in people's faces. Seem's when he didn't get the response he wanted he got a bit lippy. Fairly tall guy too.

Now I wouldn't be intimidated by him but I could see how some people might well be, especially elderly or women. Particularly when it is dark out and you have some guy crossing the street and blocking your path asking for money repeatedly.

There's also another guy that hangs around Upper William Street outside the Centra and Mace every night. Asks everyone for money coming out of the shops. He doesn't look like a guy that is sleeping rough but there is an air about him that would certainly bother some people.

Not all of them are like that of course.

Now one other thing is that I walk all over the city at night on the weekends and I never ever lay eyes on a Garda walking the main streets. If we are to make Limerick a city where people want to live in then the complete lack of a garda presence needs to be one of the main issues highlighted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Henry street station is 1 min walk to o Connell st to clear these beggars and junkies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

bigpink wrote:
    This was crazy he drove quite aggressive right into the crossing box and parked up

Sure did you not know that they own the road?

I actually passed by there awhile ago and a taxi had backed up the traffic in the right Lane because he was waiting for a space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I noticed a lot of people begging outside Carl Scarpa last week - not sitting begging but walking in front of people begging with a cup.

Parchment wrote: »
    I noticed a lot of people begging outside Carl Scarpa last week - not sitting begging but walking in front of people begging with a cup.

Yeah same crowd down in Denmark street. They are not locals either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You have to give credit to the plebs who signed off on putting that taxi rank at the wrong side of the street where passengers have to get into a taxi from the street side. It really does take a special type of incompetence. That rank should be run outside where St Augustine's Church is. The rank around the corner on Sarsfield street is a waste too, hardly every used.

As for the beggars, I don't think there are many genuine homeless or down on their luck beggars in the city centre these days. Seem to have been replaced on most street corners nowadays by these professional types who use passive aggressive techniques to get money mostly for their drug and/or alcohol addictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Red King wrote: »
    Yeah same crowd down in Denmark street. They are not locals either.
    Gypsy begging gangs and drug addicts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I genuinely cannot remember the last time I seen a Garda walking the streets in the city center. I know they have a though job but there really needs to be a permanent Garda presence walking the streets of the city of any city actually. The beggers need to be moved on, there are services in the city to help these people.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement