Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2018- too early to start?

Options
  • 09-05-2016 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I'm a 2nd year Biochemistry student and am hoping to apply for GEM in Ireland and the UK when I graduate in 2018. I've organised volunteer work various charities, am shadowing a GP for quite a long time and am currently sitting on a 1:1 degree.
    I was wondering if I should be starting to prepare for the GAMSAT/UKCAT now, or is it too early?
    I'd also love to get to chat with any current GEM students, Ireland or abroad!

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 flombie

Personally I'd think it's a bit too early!! I managed to do it with 2.5-3months of study over the summer months, also coming from a science background. If you were thinking of doing the GAMSAT in the UK this September I'd say start organising yourself, but otherwise just relax- 2 years is loads of time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 finickyferret

Thanks for that flombie, I was getting worried!
    Are you currently in medical school?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 flombie

If you start studying for it too early, I think you run the risk of building it up too much and psyching yourself out about it! I sat the exam very much as a practice run, with the intention of sitting it again the following March! Also, I would try not to get sucked into all the prep courses because it's absolutely doable on your own! I'll be starting this September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Far too early, enjoy your degree (personally I enjoyed my first degree a hell of a lot more than GEM currently) and keep up the marks (only to get the 2.1, not for any other reason). Maybe sit it in September or March 2017. Don't build it up to be something more than it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sneakysnake007

I think it depends on whether you want to go straight into medicine after your degree or if you're planning on taking time out beforehand. If the latter, you definitely have more time to play with and so starting now would be way to soon. If the former, I suggest that you could sit the Gamsat in you're third year as a trial run, and then during your final year you could give it your all, obviously you have to get at least a 2.1 in your current degree so your college work has to be somewhat prioritised in that regard.

I will say that because you're thinking ahead, you evidently are determined but don't over think it all. Some people sit that Gamsat at a last minute ordeal and manage to come out with great results, maybe this has to do with a relaxed attitude? I would suggest that if you do want to start studying sooner rather than later, then now could be the time for you to compile your resources. I found that in my studying I came across websites in the last week or two that I wished I had stumbled on sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

Hi,
    I'm a 2nd year Biochemistry student and am hoping to apply for GEM in Ireland and the UK when I graduate in 2018. I've organised volunteer work various charities, am shadowing a GP for quite a long time and am currently sitting on a 1:1 degree.
    I was wondering if I should be starting to prepare for the GAMSAT/UKCAT now, or is it too early?
    I'd also love to get to chat with any current GEM students, Ireland or abroad!

Thanks.

In some respects it's never to early to start preparing...the more you do, the better it will be- the gamsat is really a test of nerve, stamina and preparation and being able to spot a trend. You'all never be asked to describe krebs cycle etc but you'all get analogous respiratory questions and you'll have to deduce and distil a question back to a basic principle and work it out from the information given.

I'm currently a 1st year in UL so if you have any specific questions then I'll happily answer them for you. But please please please remember that gamsat will be a fairly distant dream if you don't get a 2.1H n your final grade, so any prep and work you do, don't do it at the expense of your primary degree. No subsequent degree can compensate or smooth over a 2.2H so do its, do regular, get any assistance you with prep materials but make sure your primary degree is on track!

Advertisement