Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I replace heatsink fan just because rpm not reporting

Options
  • 09-05-2016 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have a 6600 processor with stock intel heatsink and fan! Since it arrived it never reported the fan rpm.

After ruling out the Mb, I raised the issue with Intel, who rapidly sent me a replacement heatsink/fan. This new one works, I just plugged it into the cpufan 2 socket, and it spun up and reported its rpm to the bios fan control utility.

So far so good, but now I have the messy problem of replacing the entire heatsink/fan just to get rpm reporting.

Is this actually worth doing? The original fan does spin and temps at rest are low 20s.

If I do decide to replace it, how do I clean the old paste from the processor? The new heatsink/fan has the usual 3 strips of paste.

Do I need some special cleaning solution?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Use isoproply, and short of that, vodka/potíon

It's not really a big job if you've the stuff handy. I personally wouldn't bother as if the fan is spinning too fast, I'll know about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I think it's a good idea. Usually fans will increase or decrease speed based on temp, so if the fan is not reporting, then it is probably running at max all the time. Nothing to rush into though. A lint free cloth, alcohol 70% or above (wouldn't recommend vodka personally). Watch a video if nervous. Intel has the thermal paste usually preapplied so don't even have to worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

The vodka is for you for after the job is done, a well done drink.
    :)

Advertisement