Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New route for Race Series 10m & HM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Cheers, hadn't seen that. Obviously trying to make the two races more appealing - the North Road is a bit of a long drag in that direction but not as intimidating as going up by the Magazine Fort and the Glen Road.

Good to freshen up the race too - I was starting to get a bit tired of the same route for every race in the Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Mainly inside the park for the half. I didn't do it the last two years but reckon Conyngham Road must have been long ? Fair enough course I'd say ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Happy enough with those. Plenty of respite on the downhill Acres Road before the push for home. Personally I found the long Conyngham Road/Chapelizod Road sections outside the Park boring. Looking forward to building towards these races over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Haven't ever run FD but that's a beautiful and welcome change to the HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

kit3 wrote: »
    Mainly inside the park for the half. I didn't do it the last two years but reckon Conyngham Road must have been long ? Fair enough course I'd say ??

Unbelievably long and boring and inexplicably tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

The first year I did the HM the climb up military road to the s bends was included in the course, I train in the park all the time and I find it the toughest stretch, thankfully it's not in either race this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Very interesting variation on the routes, some welcome changes.

However, I think they should've tried to get in a mile on Chesterfield Ave for the Frank Duffy or Half Marathon before sending people down the Ordinance Survey/Glen Road; otherwise you're going to find people starting far too fast on a steep downhill 2 miles.

In both races the climb from Military Road, at the base of the Magazine Fort, from the 3rd mile onwards, to Chesterfield Ave via the North Rd, is a long but fairly gradual upward climb. I think it'll work well for both races and they then allow for a few downhill/uphill miles towards the end.

Overall some great variety, and should make for improved times.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Surly the changes are in response to the heart attacks over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Can't wait for the races series.Great buzz, well organised and arguably the best value around .
    Took the plunge when signing up to the series and bought the full marathon too, first attempt to do the whole lot! Gonna keep me occupied for the months ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

I like the changes but I wish they'd ditch the upper glen road to the finish though. That's getting very boring.

• Advertisement

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Surly the changes are in response to the heart attacks over the last few years

I think they've taken out the S bends on the FD and Half as a result. The S bends are still part of the 5 mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

More important than the routes, PBs and all that, here's the t-shirts!

385819.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The shirts look like an improvement over the past two or three years anyway. I like the course changes myself, although the proof will be in the running. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Phoole wrote: »
    I think they've taken out the S bends on the FD and Half as a result. The S bends are still part of the 5 mile.

S bends are back in for the ten miler and half this year, just going the opposite way on them, which is a bit tougher. They were gone totally last year

S bends are back in for the ten miler and half this year, just going the opposite way on them, which is a bit tougher. They were gone totally last year

Yeah I think having them before the final drag on the Glenn Road was why they went out on to Conningham road the last couple of years. Having them at the beginning will be easier.

Singer wrote: »
    More important than the routes, PBs and all that, here's the t-shirts!

385819.jpg

They've changed the Fingal from black to red. Not bad! Lets hope the quality is back to normal, not like 2014 which were horrendously bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I'm glad they change the style of the shirt for the DCM, if it followed this design there would be a whole host of swallows fighting for space.

These do look nice.

I'm glad they change the style of the shirt for the DCM, if it followed this design there would be a whole host of swallows fighting for space.

These do look nice.

:D Just noticing that they go up in numbers as the races progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Phoole wrote: »
    :D Just noticing that they go up in numbers as the races progress!

Yeah, with Powers it's just three swallows, but with the Race Series you get 4 swallows on the shirt and about 20 water/Lucozade stops over all the various races. (The Lucozade looks a bit like Powers, but I think the latter would help with a bit more of a turbo power effect for the last few miles, even if its paint-stripper effect would bleach every t-shirt white).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

One swallow does not a summer make.

Will be sitting out the Irish Runner anyway. Hope to do the other three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Will this be a faster or slower route do people think?

Still trying to beat two hours but lost the pacers on Conyngham Rd the last two years - just found that road so endless so glad it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

frash wrote: »
    Will this be a faster or slower route do people think?

Still trying to beat two hours but lost the pacers on Conyngham Rd the last two years - just found that road so endless so glad it's gone.

Not sure. The fast start leading to the S bends, Wellington Road and North Road (all hills and drags) is gonna be tough to get right.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I really liked the old 10 mile course, didn't see any need for a change. New Half one looks refreshing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

hey everyone - just spotted this myself but entry closes to the 5 mile for this in 2 days time (27th)

So if you want to sign up for the race series bundle with marathon to save money - you have two days left :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I noticed a minor change in the Fingal 10k route!

2016: http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/SSE-AT-DRS16-F10K-MAP.pdf
    2015: http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/SSE-AT-DRS15-F10K-MAP.pdf

386902.png

Soon after the start, instead of cutting left onto the bypass, the route goes the entire way 'round the Pinnock Hill roundabout and then onto the bypass. This will add a bit onto the route, and it looks like the finish is a bit sooner on Bridge St. to compensate. There always seemed to be people taking shortcuts on that left to the bypass, running on the path or cutting across the grass, instead of staying on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Hi
    Anyone received their numbers yet for the 5 mile race and the rest of the series ?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Arrived this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

My numbers arrived this morning too. I had the race series as a target when I started to couch25k last year, looking forward to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Everything arrived today; I signed up for the entire race series as well as DCM a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Everything arrived today; I signed up for the entire race series as well as DCM a while back.

Same here, great value.

Advertisement